Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeNov 19th, 2013 7:26pm (Nov 19th 2013)

Knitting ... makes my fingers sore just to think of it! You find the pattern and I'll have a go - have seen the jumper one but not the leggings!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 10:17am (Nov 20th 2013)

Ah Kate, this is where you step into the Halls of Fame.
    The pattern is yet to be designed...
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 6:56pm (Nov 20th 2013)

LOL! My skills don't reach that far!
    • CommentTimeNov 20th, 2013 7:07pm (Nov 20th 2013)

I can't figure out how to make leggings for hens, they would have to be separate from the jumper. I can just see Neil now, out there trying to get Elsie's clothes on her, in the morning and her PJs on her at night...(image in my head "deleted" ):face-smile:
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2013 4:00pm (Nov 21st 2013)

I think that would be a struggle!
    • CommentTimeNov 21st, 2013 10:59pm (Nov 21st 2013)

Now that would be a live feed worth watching! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2013 2:30pm (Nov 23rd 2013)

Not without gauntlets, Neil...:)
    • CommentTimeNov 29th, 2013 6:15am (Nov 29th 2013)

I think Neil forgot to sign into Camstream as it says Hencam is offline again. I am really loving the bigger screen size, I can see the girls so much better.
    • CommentTimeNov 29th, 2013 10:31pm (Nov 29th 2013)

Should be up and running now Lynn :)
    • CommentTimeNov 30th, 2013 5:40pm (Nov 30th 2013)

Yes, I can see the girls again..Thank You. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2013 12:00pm (Dec 1st 2013)

Hooray its snowing on the forum again :D
    • CommentTimeDec 1st, 2013 4:48pm (Dec 1st 2013)

I hear a kitty meowing around the girls' pen. They are in their bedroom and don't seem too disturbed by the cat being there.
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2013 8:20pm (Dec 24th 2013)

The girls are up in their bedroom sleeping. I can't wait till it stays daylight long enough that I can see them down eating again. I only get to see them when they are asleep now.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeDec 24th, 2013 9:51pm (Dec 24th 2013)

I can't wait for the longer days either Lynn, means we can save Kasper's second walk for the evening instead of having to do it at 3 o clock!
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2013 5:57am (Dec 29th 2013)

The hencam has been offline for a couple of days now, all I get is a blank screen.
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2013 5:46pm (Dec 29th 2013)

I'll let my dad know Lynn :)
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2014 6:35pm (Jan 4th 2014)

WooHoo the hencam is back online and I can see the girls!!!! Thank you Neil! :woohoo:
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2014 7:34am (Jan 14th 2014)

I'm on my way to bed, but I stopped by to see the girls first, it's not dawn yet, but they have come down already, first time in a long while that I've gotten to see them moving around. The days are getting longer again..woo hoo!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2014 11:17am (Jan 14th 2014)

Hooray!!

I've noticed it staying lighter later, we aren't having to do our dog walks quite so early to avoid the dark :smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2014 9:14pm (Jan 14th 2014)

Yes, I'm leaving work in the daylight - what a treat!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2014 5:16pm (Feb 23rd 2014)

I got here in time to see the girls before they go up for the night..The days are getting longer..Wooo Hooo :woohoo:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2014 5:45pm (Feb 23rd 2014)

I see most of Elsie's feathers have grown back on her bottom. It's been so long since I could see the girls awake, I couldn't tell until today.:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2014 10:00pm (Feb 23rd 2014)

Hiya guys! I know I haven't been on here for ages but I'm back! I now own 15 chickens! I abseloutely adore them. I have:
    1 Skyline
    1 white star
    1 black rock
    1 cross breed
    2 gold laced Orpington bantams
    2 warrens
    1 splash brahma
    1 lemon pyle brahma
    1 black brahma
    1 black and blue brahma
    1 black brahma COCKEREL but I believe correctly, it is a cock.
    1 welsummer
    1 cuckoo maran
    As you can see, I have quite a selection! In total, there are 8 different breeds there.
    And yes, there is a problem. Again.
    The cross breed we have (it's breed is unknown) is VERY underweight she only weighs 2lb and she is ver skinny too. You can clearly feel her breastbone. I have checked for worms and mites but there are none, what methods would you suggest for fattening her up? That is all I want really just for her yo put some weight on! We are going to put her in a seperate run than the others tomorrow night so she has the food to herself to see if that helps. But, if it doesn't help, what can we do? I hope you have some ideas, thanks, George.:face-smile::face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2014 10:01pm (Feb 23rd 2014)

These are our chickens (some are missing from the pic)
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2014 10:02pm (Feb 23rd 2014)

Sorry guys, I can't upload the pic
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2014 4:17pm (Feb 24th 2014)

Awww George you have acquired quite a flock! :)

To feed her up I'd say try feeding her corn along with the layers pellets, if you don't already, and try scrambled eggs and mealworms too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2014 8:02pm (Feb 24th 2014) edited

Thanks guys, my ded has made a run for her with a box in for shelter during the day, I hope she puts some weight soon! She weighs 2lb and the splash brahma weighs 7lb! Quite a difference mind you though, that brahma still has some growing to do to get to a full 10lb! As always, thanks for the advice red !!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2014 7:04pm (Mar 2nd 2014) edited

It sure sounds like it's raining very hard at hencam. It seems to be keeping Sophie awake. The other two are sleeping.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2014 6:59pm (Mar 3rd 2014)

It's raining everywhere today, Lynn. My fault; I washed my car...
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2014 10:32pm (Mar 3rd 2014)

One of my work buddies aquaplaned on the M5 on Friday. After hitting the barrier she went from the outside lane and ended up sitting on the hard shoulder facing the wrong direction. Thankfully she didn't hit any other vehicle and is relatively unhurt (shaken, sore, etc, but fortunately nothing worse). Car is written off she thinks.

How are you and your hubby now Lynn? Are you fully recovered from your horrendous crash?
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2014 5:35am (Mar 5th 2014)

Yes, Kate we are doing alright now..it will be a year, the 15th of this month since our accident. Don finally got back to where he feels like himself again, it took 9 months however. My shoulder won't ever look right, but it's usable and that's all that counts.:face-smile: I hope your friend will be alright. She was lucky not to have been hurt worse than she was.
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2014 5:47am (Mar 5th 2014) edited

CC, you should never wash your car..or your windows, it always makes it rain. We have had so much rain the past few days that we are are under a flood watch and have to watch out for mud slides as the hills are giving way.

I can hear some little birds singing very loud and it keeps waking up the girls..it's not daylight yet so I don't know what they have to sing about.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2014 5:49pm (Mar 5th 2014)

Spring is nearly sprung, that's why they're singing. Saw a crow hopping along with a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge twig (almost a stick!) in his beak today, so they've started building.
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2014 8:17pm (Mar 5th 2014) edited

Glad you and Don are doing OK Lynn. My friend has a big bruise on her foot and her hips hurt, and she's generally achy (like when you have a virus she said) but other than that she's fine. They wrote her car off so she's got to find a replacement now, but at the end of the day it's just a metal box.

I love spring for that very reason - the birds. Bird song is a wonderful sound isn't it!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2014 6:33am (Mar 6th 2014)

I love hearing the birds singing IT'S Spring(almost)..We start daylight savings time over here this weekend. It won't be getting dark till after 7:00pm :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2014 5:13pm (Mar 6th 2014)

Glad you and Don are on the mend, Lynn.
    Not sure when our clocksa go forward, but it's usually on a 4th Sunday of the month when I play for a 9am service at church. Which means that in Real Life I am getting up at 7 o'clock and sitting playing the organ (almost) fully conscious by 7:50am.:face-crying:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2014 5:31am (Mar 13th 2014)

It's still not light out yet, but I can hear a lot of little birds singing. What kind of little birds sing in the dark over there??
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2014 6:01pm (Mar 13th 2014)

Blackbirds sometimes, robins if they see a little bit of light.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2014 4:29am (Mar 14th 2014)

I looked up the British Blackbirds' song..that was what I heard singing in the dark. They are a pretty bird, they are built like our Robins over here..except for the color, ours aren't black.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2014 5:31pm (Mar 14th 2014)

And our robins are little round birds; yours are the size of our blackbirds.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2014 5:31pm (Mar 26th 2014)

It's still daylight and I can see the girls scratching around their pen..I LOVE these longer days! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2014 11:50am (Apr 1st 2014)

Since the clocks moved forward I'm getting home during daylight - it's fantastic!

Means the girls might get some treats before they get to bed too... :-)
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2014 5:48pm (Apr 7th 2014)

Hi, on Facebook, someone has said their Rhode Island Red is puffing herself up and is very lethargic. Her face and comb and wattles are red but she is a bit off colour, I asked if she was egg bound but she said she has dealt with that before and that isn't what was wrong. She is eating and drinking but the owner asked, what could she do to perk her up? Hope you can help ????
    • CommentTimeApr 7th, 2014 6:20pm (Apr 7th 2014) edited

This thread has a list of common chicken ailments and things to try when they are unwell :smile: :

• CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2014 11:13pm (Apr 15th 2014)

Hiya guys, I now have 2 broody hens and I was wondering if you could give me some advice! One is fine (my araucana), in a coop with a run but the other(my goldtop) is in a nesting box over 3ft from floor! How will this work? What can I do? Thanks and by the way, both are sat on eggs. Goldtop: 3 exchequer leghorn, 3 welsummer. Araucana: 2 warren, 1 skyline, 1 white star, 1 splash brahma, 1 cuckoo maran. The araucana started sitting on Monday and the goldtop started today, any tips on the. And of course to my question on height of goldtop.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2014 7:13pm (Apr 16th 2014) edited

The Goldtop in the nesting box 3 foot from the floor, you can move her into a separate run & nesting box if you have one available? She won't be impressed, but should keep her broodiness.

I'd imagine a 3 foot drop could be quite a challenge for new chicks to get back to. Is there any way you could build steps leading to the nesting box? My only concern would be if a newly hatched chick fell off by accident and was injured...

Are both broody's in their own separate runs? When the chicks hatch, you probably want them on their own with the 'mother' hen...I know chicken keepers who have had other hens in the flock accidentally trample chicks to death.

Other people on the forum are far more experienced than me, hopefully they will have some advice too :smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2014 9:34pm (Apr 16th 2014)

3 feet off the floor is too high for new chicks, if they fall you could loose them. Can you move that broody hen to a nest box on the floor? Chicks should be able to walk to their first feeding behind the hen, so she can show them what to eat...waters should hang low enough too, put marbles in the water to keep them from drowning in the dish if they fall in.
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2014 8:10pm (Apr 17th 2014)

Hiya, I have ordered a rabbit hideaway box off amazon that can serve as my broody coop! I have 2 separate runs for the broodies. my hideaway is due on Saturday so will move the goldtop to it then. I candled the eggs that my araucana is sat on and I know I definitely have a skyline, white star, cuckoo maran and splash brahma. I'm not too sure on the warren eggs as the shells are thick. however, the warrens are mated most regularly so I would imagine I have 6/6 developing eggs! great result for first time don't you think? the other 6 are from my friend that is a breeder she has very fertile males and a 100% hatch rate in the breeds she has selected for me: 3 exchequer leghorn, 3 welsummer. Will keep you updated! Wish me luck! Oh and by the way, the araucana's clutch is due on Sunday 4th may and the goldtop's clutch on Monday 5th which very luckily is a bank holiday! Thanks again guys and feedback on plans please!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2014 9:46pm (Apr 17th 2014)

That sounds like a good plan George :)

Aw how exciting, you are going to hear the pitter patter of tiny chick feet! :tooth:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2014 10:45am (Apr 18th 2014)

I cant wait red! :face-smile::face-smile::face-smile::face-smile::face-smile::face-smile::face-smile::face-smile: heheee I candled the goldtops eggs this morning and all exchequer leghorns and the gold laced orp bantam are fertile and cant see through welsummer eggs but can safely assume they are fertile too!
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2014 2:07pm (Apr 21st 2014)

Aw I remember how excited I was when we were hatching chicks...it's gonna be a long wait until May 4th / 5th ;)

Keep us up to date, pretty please! :whorship:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2014 7:43pm (May 3rd 2014)

Hey people! They are due tomorrow, is there anything I can do to prepare? I can't wait!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2014 8:42pm (May 3rd 2014)

George, just don't count your chickens before they hatch, they sometimes die trying to get out of the shell. If the broody hen is sitting on them, she will take care of the little ones, so there isn't much you can do except wait. Crossing my fingers for you, for a great hatch.:atpeace:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 7:05am (May 4th 2014)

Thankyou Lynda, nothin yet but hoping for this afternoon and tonight into tomorrow morning
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2014 11:28am (May 4th 2014)

Light a cigar and pace around, George; that's what most expectant fathers do...:face-smile: I just gave mine scrambled eggs (cool) once they hatched and then chick crumb. All seem to do well on that. Then once mum takes them outside she seems to take over telling them what to eat. I still gave them scrambled egg every morning for quite a while though.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2014 6:53am (May 5th 2014) edited

Thanks cc, we now have:

1 splash brahma cross with a black brahma which has made a blue! Yay
    1 cuckoo maran cross with a black brahma
    1 warren cross with a black brahma

And from a differnt clutch that has just started hatching:
    1 welsummer

I'm really pleased with all of them! Yayyy
    • CommentTimeMay 5th, 2014 5:54pm (May 5th 2014)

Lovely; we need pics!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2014 12:56pm (May 9th 2014)

Awesome that you have some little chickadees!!! Come back and tell us how many you have George! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2014 9:27pm (May 9th 2014)

So, how many did you finally end up with George??
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2014 5:37pm (May 10th 2014)

He's got 4; he did a list a few posts back. Interesting crosses as well!
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2014 11:32pm (May 16th 2014)

Hi guys! We now have 5 chicks, 3 crosses and 2 pure breeds!

1 splash brahma cross with a black brahma which has made a blue! Yay
    1 cuckoo maran cross with a black brahma
    1 warren cross with a black brahma
    1 welsummer
    1 exchequer leghorn
    Please give opinions on these chicks, also, chief chicken, explain in further what you meen please! Thanks!
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2014 8:07pm (May 17th 2014)

I just meant they were interesting crosses and that the chicks would be pretty - I think! I'm not a chicken boffin...
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2014 6:12pm (May 18th 2014)

Sounds cute george! They must be growing fast!! Will you be keeping them all?
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2014 4:07pm (May 19th 2014)

And where are the pictures????:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorgeorge
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 10:10pm (May 20th 2014)

We will keep some, people I know want some so 6 are taken up, we have another 6 hatching in about 8 days, I can't wait! ???? also, I'm jot sure how to put pictures on here?
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 11:06pm (May 20th 2014) edited

George that is so exciting, how many chicks will you have running about the place?! :smile: How many broody hens do you have then, or do you have some in an incubator too??

To post photos:
    If you upload the pics to Photobucket (which is free!) you then copy the 'html' code from their site and paste it here.

The other way you can post pics is to click the 'Choose File' button below the comment box on the forum, choose the pic from your computer and then click open. As long as your pic isn't too big that will post it on the forum :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2014 1:38am (Jun 30th 2014)

The hencam is back up and running ...THANK YOU, THANK YOU Neil!! wooo :yay_jump:hooo
    I'm doing my happy dance!!!:woohoo:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2014 5:31am (Jun 30th 2014)

I see Elsie still hasn't grown back her feathers, we may need to make that girl a dress. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2014 5:22pm (Jun 30th 2014)

We were following a public footpath sign the other day (eventually got lost and had to turn back of course!) but it took us past a house that had a SILKIE!!! I was like, 'hmmm, how easy would it be to smuggle her under my jacket and bring her home...?' :rolling:

Poor thing was freaking out because we had Zoey with us, thankfully she is nothing like Kasper and doesn't pay any attention to chickens :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2014 9:04pm (Jun 30th 2014)

Why, what does Kasp think of chickens then?
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2014 3:08am (Jul 1st 2014)

The hencam is back offline again..I wonder if Neil forgot to sign in at Streaming Cams again.

The only bad thing about Silkies, Red..they don't live as long as the other chickens. I only have one that is old..the rest of them are 2yrs. and under. They are so sweet it's hard to loose them. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2014 1:59pm (Jul 1st 2014)

Posted By: chief chickenWhy, what does Kasp think of chickens then?

Oh Kasper just *loves* chickens...but for all the wrong reasons!! :tooth:

He thinks they're great fun, and would chase / catch them if he could. There was a road where we used to live in Yorkshire, the farm across the road used to let their chickens free-range on the road, the pavements and in people's gardens. Kasper once spotted a hen under a conifer in someone's garden and lunged for it (on lead) he was so close to catching it!! That hen had a lucky escape :smile:

That sucks that Silkies have a shorter lifespan, I wonder why? How long would you say they lived for on average, Lynn?
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2014 2:14pm (Jul 1st 2014)

I've just heard some very sad news from my dad, Sophie passed away today :(

She wasn't acting ill at all, so it's come as a complete shock. The others are acting fine, but my dad will be keeping a close eye on them.

I've let him know the cam is down too and he'll endeavor to get it up and running soon...but at the moment I don't think the computer has any wires or a keyboard / mouse so not sure how soon it'll be!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2014 6:39pm (Jul 2nd 2014) edited

It's up and running again. I'm so sad at the loss of Sophie, she was almost like seeing Milly again.:044::face-crying:

My oldest Silkie is 6 years old, Red. I do take special care of them, but 4 years old seems to be the average for most of them. I have several regular chickens out by the barn that are well over 10yrs. old now. My oldest of them, lived to be 12.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2014 5:04pm (Jul 3rd 2014) edited

Poor Sophie, But she had a lovely time, and was world famous!
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2014 9:11pm (Jul 3rd 2014)

Wow! 4 years is very young for a chicken, that's so sad.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2014 9:34pm (Jul 5th 2014)

I'm so sorry about Sophie. :face-sad:

What's the average age for a chicken then? I thought 10 was really old!
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2014 9:24pm (Jul 6th 2014)

I don't think anybody's really sure Kate, different sites say different things! I think generally around 6 - 10 years...but yes, 10 is old for a chicken, although I seem to recall someone having a 15 year old hen!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2014 7:40pm (Jul 22nd 2014)

The hencam has been off line for several days now..it maybe my computer is just being stupid again however..but it doesn't show up no matter what browser I'm using.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 8:33pm (Jul 24th 2014)

Okay Lynn, I'll notify my dad :)
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2014 5:03am (Jul 25th 2014) edited

Wooo Hooo!!! the cam is back up and running..I can see the girls again. They are still up in their bedroom, it's not full daylight yet. Thank you Neil!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2014 6:26pm (Jul 25th 2014)

Yay, glad it is working for you Lynn :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2014 2:21am (Jul 26th 2014)

Thank you for letting your Dad know it was down, Red. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2014 7:20pm (Jul 26th 2014)

No worries :)
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2014 3:18pm (Aug 7th 2014) edited

Hopefully it should be a bit more stable when we go to fibre broadband...

I think a momentary disconnection on our current broadband means the IP changes, which screws up the streaming.
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2014 5:11am (Aug 27th 2014)

I wonder where Red is, she hasn't been on here since the 11th of Aug. I hope she is alright..getting a bit concerned about her...ok more than a bit. :face-sad:
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2014 4:12pm (Aug 27th 2014)

Might have gone on holiday. Or pooter problems?
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2014 9:22pm (Aug 27th 2014)

I thought it'd been quiet, but didn't realise it'd been that long. I'd have plumped for pooter problems but usually Neil will post to tell us about it (unless he's not around either!) Hope all is OK. xx
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2014 11:37am (Sep 2nd 2014)

She's just busy I think! She's fine honestly, I made her feel a bit guilty about not posting on here when we spoke to her last night so she might show her face soon hopefully :)

This place needs her so I'll have to offer some incentive or something!
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2014 1:09am (Sep 3rd 2014)

"This place needs her so I'll have to offer some incentive or something!"

Did you see that Red???..now doesn't that sound interesting..:lol:
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2014 2:21pm (Sep 10th 2014)

Hold on...what was my incentive?!?!?! :001_tongue:

Sorry I have been gone so long everybody! I didn't realise how long it was...I should be here more regularly now :jumping: My mood's been a bit wacky, we've been busy and then every time I sat down to go on the forum something kicked off, usually involving the dogs... :001_rolleyes:

I have a LOT of pics to post though :001_tt2:
    • CommentTimeSep 11th, 2014 12:25am (Sep 11th 2014)

So good to see you back Red and know you are all right!

We aren't quite the same when you're not here. Think of us all as some creatures you have in one of those cages. My, oh my, you must have a lot of cages at your home.
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2014 7:42am (Sep 12th 2014)

Great to see you back with us, Red!!!!! :yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2014 6:20pm (Sep 15th 2014) edited

Thank you :bigsmile: Haha we do have far too many cages, we are selling some of our spares...we picked up another cage the other day second hand and added some new guys to the family...say hi to Miguel and Pierre!!

They are Society finches. They've only been with us for a few days but have settled really well. Zoey was horrendous with them at first, absolutely obsessed and really wanting to say hi, but she has just about got used to them now, unless she is bored! :smile:

They are both boys, and are really bonded with each other. Miguel has more white on him and Pierre is slightly darker.
      seaside8.jpg
      seaside5.jpg
      seaside9.jpg
    • CommentTimeSep 15th, 2014 8:05pm (Sep 15th 2014)

They look like a sparrow, but faded!! Very cute - do they sing / tweet much?
    • CommentTimeSep 16th, 2014 5:03pm (Sep 16th 2014)

'Society'finches? Does that mean they snort cocaine and hang around in Annabels with the royals? :D They're so pretty, aren't they? Or being boys perhaps we should say handsome!
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 12:01am (Sep 18th 2014)

My mom and dad use to raise Society Finches and several other varieties too. I always loved them, they are so sweet..they will hatch out any other finches eggs and raise them..no matter what variety they are. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 18th, 2014 8:12pm (Sep 18th 2014)

What sweet birds! Can they be handled? I'd love a bird that would sit on my hand (and another in the bush outside!)
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2014 2:53am (Sep 19th 2014) edited

I love birds..especially my little Macaw..he's been with me for 17 years (he's 18 yrs old now) and I couldn't imagine life without him..he will out live me, so I have to make sure my daughter will take him after I'm gone. That is a down side of having a long living bird...you have to will them to someone else.
    • CommentTimeSep 19th, 2014 10:44pm (Sep 19th 2014)

They don't 'talk' constantly like a lot of other birds, and the easiest way to sex them is that boys will sing and dance...so we have two boys and they adore each other :smile: I have a video of them singing, I'll try upload it this weekend.

I'm pretty sure the other finch in with them was a female, but you're supposed to keep finches in pairs so we had to leave her on her own :sad: I would love to have some finch babies at some point in the future though :bigsmile:

They're VERY hard to tame...you can do it if you hand raise them, but otherwise it's incredibly difficult from what I've read. Which is precisely why we chose finches, we wanted a bird that would be happy with a friend and didn't crave human attention...it's not easy to tame and play with a bird with two dogs trying to eat it!! :rolling:

That's awesome Lynn! Did they have Zebra finches? We wanted a pair of Zebra finches originally, but read that Society finches were much more easygoing. As we hadn't had finches before we wanted Society finches, but figured no pet shops would have them and there are no breeders anywhere nearby...then we went to one of our favourite pet shops and they had Society finches!! :bigsmile:

We moved Miguel and Pierre into Ramba's old Jenny Rat Cage the other day :001_rolleyes: Although their other cage was big enough, I wanted them to have more room to actually fly...the Jenny Rat offers them double the space to fly and they love it!!

Pics to come...