Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeNov 4th, 2007 10:29pm (Nov 4th 2007)

Oh..I've heard of Guy Fawke's Night, so now I understand about the fireworks and bonfires going on. Interesting.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th, 2007 11:27pm (Nov 4th 2007) edited

That's interesting. So GFN celebrates one for the Empire and the 4th July (with similar explosive devices) celebrates one for the Colonies. :) I don't think we have any coorisponding celebration of one religion besting another tho (separation of church & state and all that) do we Lynn & Gloria? Of course we have other "us & them" celebrations. Like Thanksgiving & Columbus Day where we celebrate acquiring this land from the people already living here...

There's Milly, looking big & beautiful in her new feathers. She has really HUGE claws though. I can't imagine the risk Red takes holding her on her lap. But maybe that's because Martin just leaped off my own lap yesterday, leaving behind 2 - 2 inch long scratches. Grrrrr.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:24am (Nov 5th 2007)

I can't believe how long Milly can stand in one position like that...
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:42am (Nov 5th 2007)

I was just thinking the same thing, Diane. I don't think I could sleep standing on one leg all night, but she has managed it for hours now. :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 12:05pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Middle of the day and nothing going on. Assume the girls have gone for a snooze!

The weather in my parts was dreadful last night because of all the bonfires - a real pea-souper! Don't know how they saw their fireworks - I couldn't see my hand in front of my face! It was mostly smog and I don't know what sort of effect that has on people with asthma or our wildlife. A friend used to keep a HUGE owl (could've been and eagle owl but I'm not sure) and that died last year because one of the neighbours had a bonfire and the smoke killed it.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 12:06pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Change that!!! Suddenly realised that a shadow I could see was Milly lurking way off in the back of the coop. It looks quite windy the way the 'ghost' is blowing about so perhaps she's staying out of it.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 5:55pm (Nov 5th 2007)

We're just experimenting with the cam to see if you can view the various bonfires and fireworks that are being let off round here :)
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 5:59pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Yes I can see them..that's really super to see them!
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:00pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Hehe! The fireworks were too difficult to catch, so we're pointing at a fire...

LOUD fireworks right outside the house now :)
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:03pm (Nov 5th 2007)

I just saw Neil waving..neat!
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:06pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Yeah i told him you were possibly watching, and he decided to say hello :D

We're having fireworks here at hencam HQ at 7:30pm tonight, our time - hope you can watch them!

Right, i have to go make tea now. Nice chatting Lynn, talk to you later.

Scarlet
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 6:15pm (Nov 5th 2007)

I'm enjoying the fireworks! :-)

Thank you for showing what Guy Fawke's Night is like over there.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 7:02pm (Nov 5th 2007)

I just heard Neil say he got the new job today..CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go Neil!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 7:16pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Lynn - did you actually hear that over the cam audio? That's funny! And, yes, congrats Neil :D !!!

Kate - how very sad about that poor owl. Sigh.

Red or Helen - are you talking with the mice right now? I see what looks like city lights. Ah, I think that was a firework going off on the hill there. My view of the cam never streams, it kind of starts & stops so I only see things in certain interludes. But yes, there's another mini explosion.

Well, time for a late breakfast here.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 7:36pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Goodmorning Diane..yes, I have a very fast connection to the internet (cable modem)and I heard Neil tell the girls in the coop that he got the job today. It's really neat to hear Scarlet talk with Milly when she holds her too. Milly is such a lucky little hen to have Scarlet love her so much.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 7:52pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Ollie in UK.
    Oi ! Who's kicked the camera over ??
    Can't see the Bradford fireworks now. Awwwwwwww.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 7:56pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Ollie in UK.
    Lovely Yorkshire Accents here.
    Ooooh now the camera is going for a ride...
    Weeeeeeeeee..................
    All aboard.............
    Ah There you are.. Hello...
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 8:15pm (Nov 5th 2007) edited

Hey, are you trying to burn the village down? LOL Hope the wall that firework is scorching is brick...

Lets see if I can...
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Oh cool - it worked!
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 8:50pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Great picture Diane, and welcome back Ollie! Good to know I'm not the only UK poster!
    I can see a wall, a line, a bush and smoke! Lots of voices (laughter!) but I think I missed the fireworks. :(

Hi Neil - we're off for a ride! (Big congrats on the new job!)
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 9:01pm (Nov 5th 2007)

Thanks for moving the camera Neil, lovely view of the 3 girls! They seem rather curious about something and all 3 are stood up and moving around. They're a little jumpy - perhaps they don't like fireworks after all.

Tilly was just scratching her foot with her claw! She seems to be settling down now - never ceases to amaze me that a chicken so big can balance on a narrow ledge!

Now they've all sat down but are awake. Tilly (at the front?) keeps looking at the floor as if she can see something, but she's closed her eyes so perhaps she was just checking it out before settling down.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 10:27pm (Nov 5th 2007)

They've settled into a really photogenic position there. Who's the lightest brown hen - Tilly? Then Milly right behind her and the darkest girl immediately to the right side of Milly. All curled in an egg shape; head under wing.

I saw that standing/scratching event earlier, Kate. Both Tilly and Penny balancing together. I wondered if it was a self soothing behavior, as the fireworks were just finishing?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 10:27pm (Nov 5th 2007)

If one of them ever fell...how far is the floor?
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 5th, 2007 11:28pm (Nov 5th 2007)

I seem to miss all the action! Tilly is in front, appears to be bending over the
    bar, while Penny is in the back bending over in the opposite direction. Milly??
    Can't see her at all...

Congrats to Neil on the new job!! We want everyone at Hencam to be happily employed!!
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 5:25am (Nov 6th 2007)

Tilly just woke up and scratched...
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 7:45am (Nov 6th 2007)

The girls are awake and going outside now, except for Penny ( I think it's Penny anyway). Too Bad they are just getting up as I am heading off to bed. I miss a lot of what they do during the day:-(
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 2:28pm (Nov 6th 2007)

I miss a lot through the day too because I'm working when they're out and about! Just checking in while there's no one in the office to see! Milly is hogging the camera at the moment, standing in front of it, having a peep into the lens, that sort of thing. Tilly and Penny have arrived too now - Penny(?) is peering at me! They're all very chilled out and relaxed this afternoon.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 2:32pm (Nov 6th 2007)

There was lots of excitement and running around just, and now Scarlett's arrived for her daily cuddle!!
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 2:45pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Its so sweet listening to Scarlett chatting to Milly - so lovely to see the human-chicken affection! (Has Tilly got a little brown bit under her chin?)

Hey Scarlett, I could hear you talking to them about other birds flying around. Do they not like 'outsider' birds, or are they jealous of their freedom?!

It was lovely watching you have some cuddle time with Milly - she is a pretty hen and I'm sure she loves being told so by you!
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 2:48pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Me again!! I just noticed that Milly is like a big white fluffy cloud when she's next to the camera!
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 4:38pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Hello everyone, I'm glad some of you got to see the fireworks last night - there are some bonfire pics on hencam if anybody missed it :)

I can't believe that fountain firework last night - it almost burnt the house down!! And yes, Ollie, we all have Yorkshire accents here :P

Hi Kate - shame i didn't know you were watching otherwise i would have waved Milly at the camera for you! Or at least have waved myself!!

The chickens know that their natural predators include hawks, and so whenever birds fly past overhead they do the "danger call" (it sounds like a telephone ringing) to alert all the other chickens that there is a potential predator in the air. If you ever see one of the girls looking into the air and trilling, she has probably seen a bird!
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 7:08pm (Nov 6th 2007)

I'm earlier than usual, but it's already lights out in Hencam Land! I see the spooky ghost (?) still floating around in the downstairs portion of the condo.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 7:43pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Awww - I came on just in time to see the cam being set up in the sleeping coop. The hens looked so cute, watching as their robotic buddy was being set into place. And then, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Off to dreamland.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 8:21pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Oops something woke all the girls up. But Penny the Brave has already closed her eyes again; soon followed by her housemates.

Do you realize this Discussion has more posts than eggs that have been laid for the year? :) Come on girls!!
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 8:34pm (Nov 6th 2007)

I got here too late to see anything but the hens back in their coop and they are all sound asleep now. :-(
    • CommentTimeNov 6th, 2007 9:39pm (Nov 6th 2007)

Hey Kate - sorry i didn't answer your question about Tilly!

Yes, she has bright orange spots under her chin. Penny also has them. It's quite a good way to tell them apart on cam if you aren't familiar with their personality / body shape - Penny has more orange spots than Tilly on her chest. Libby, their sister, also had orange spots, but she didn't have as many, so when we first got the three black chooks we used the orange splodges to tell them apart :D

Lovely view of all the girls now, although they're not asleep. Their heads aren't under their wings so it mustn't be as cold in the bedroom tonight!
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 12:08am (Nov 7th 2007)

Hi Scarlett, once again it was lovely to see you earlier. Milly is more affectionate with you than my cats are with me!!

Thanks for the info on their 'splodges'! Unless they're close to the camera they're hard to see - I'd never noticed them before. I always assume Penny is the 'blacker' of the two and Tilly's a little lighter - is that true or a trick of the light? (or have i got them the wrong way round?!)

The girls are all snuggled down but seem to be taking it in turns to open their eyes for a quick peek!
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 6:26am (Nov 7th 2007)

All three girls are in various states of wakefulness. A moment ago, all had their eyes open. Tilly has stuck her head down into her feathers, Penny in the rear is sitting with her head up, and Milly is standinging opposite Tilly and appears to be awake...Yes, she is moving her head around and now stretching her neck a bit. Her eyes are open and she seems to be listening to something. Tilly just moved her head up and now she is flapping her wings after a good scratch. Tilly just went into "hidden head"mode after that interlude. Milly is preening and Penny remains sitting down but she's half-awake. Milly has just tucked her head in, so it will be another while before it's wake-up time.....
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 7:19am (Nov 7th 2007)

They are up and outside having a good time scratching around. Goodmorning girls! :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 7:22am (Nov 7th 2007)

Far too early for me but Helen has already got up and set off for work so I thought I'd get dressed, tidy the kitchen up from last night's tea and move the cam!

Sorry if the cam is a bit noisy - the coop's getting a bit of a battering from high winds - Bingley (village about 5 mins from here) was just mentioned on the local TV news as it's had the highest winds in the area - 47mph. Sometimes we're quite sheltered here due to us been on the side of a hill but it's blowing straight across so we're in the firing line!
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 2:16pm (Nov 7th 2007)

We haven't got it here yet - I think the wind is moving down the country towards the Midlands! The weather report said this morning it was going to get worse as the week went on so I hope we don't see the chickens blown away! (It'd be the longest flight of a chicken ever!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 2:23pm (Nov 7th 2007)

LOL Kate - great image (especially since I know our dear girls are deeply rooted) :D

We just had 60 mph winds here last week. Living on an island, its the first time in my life I 've ever kind of looked at trees as something potentially dangerous. We count the relative seriousness of a winter weather season by home many days our power goes out. 13 last year. What about you Lynn - how's the weather down in Graham?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 2:30pm (Nov 7th 2007)

I just want every one to know that I had to get up at 6 am today :( It seemed like a good idea at the time, when I agreed to go sit in at the Canvass Board up in Coupeville (about 30 miles from me) and act as an observer to the vote counting process (we had a minor election yesterday - not the big Presidential one I'm waiting for...) So now, YAAAWN, I'm sitting here at my office chair weaving back & forth. I stay up late & work afternoon/evenings so this is really early for me! ITS DARK OUTSIDE !!!

Oh yah, the girls - Milly is playing in her sand box. Can't see her sisters. Looks still & calm inside the coop; the wonders of plastic. Ah she just heard me & ran over to the cam - also exposing the fact that she wasn't alone in the sand.
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 3:47pm (Nov 7th 2007)

The girls are hiding down the back of the coop and looking at the shaky camera I can understand why! Looks very breezy "oop north"! I think they're dodging the blustry bits! They came to the front, had a ferret around, and disappeared off down the back again.

Hey Neil, do you close the door on the 'night time' accommodation to keep them in after dark? Are they quite happy to go to bed and take themselves, or do you have to chase them up?!
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 3:56pm (Nov 7th 2007)

Can I share some good news too! It must be the week for it - my son has just been taken on permanently at his work. He's been a temp since leaving college at 18. The first placement he had was for about 2 and a half years, and he never missed a single day. He booked a week off to use some of his leave (he never took it all) and they finished him while he was having a break. He's been at his current company for about 18 months and this is the 2nd job he's applied for, so I'm really proud of him. He's very quiet and tends to stay in the background a lot, and found it very traumatic to have an interview in the first place, so I think he's done really well.

Girls are still popping back and forth and it does seem to be related to the wind. Must be quite uncomfortable to have their feathers ruffled by it!
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 4:05pm (Nov 7th 2007) edited

Congratulations to your son Kate!

I fully sympathise with him as I'm exactly the same with regards to interviews, though we both seem to have been fortunate so it's all good! Horrible how he was treat as a temp though - his new permament will should be much better!

The hens take themselves to bed when dusk approaches - which means they can be in bed for 4pm in winter and don't go until after 10pm in summer! Chickens are pretty smart and once they know home, they can forage quite a way away and still make it back in time for a cocoa and a bedtime story!

I don't normally lock them in, but if it's going to freeze I try and do it just so I can keep cold drafts out, when I do that they are always queueing impatiently in the morning for me to let them out into the coop :)
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 6:41pm (Nov 7th 2007)

The girls have already put themselves to bed for the night I guess. I hope the winds you are having there doesn't blow the girls away.

Kate, what wonderful news about your son's job. It's always nice to wake up to good news. I got an email from my step son, who is stationed in Afghanistan, this morning, so I know he's alive...it's a great day!

Diane, that's about how we judge the Winter weather here too, we only had 10 days without power last year. I know what you mean about the trees being dangerous, we lost a couple of 150 foot Fir trees out in the back last week in the wind storm. It gets pretty scary out here in the high wind, as we have so many tall trees up by the house. Today it's a little foggy, kind of like living inside of a gray sweat sock. I'm hope it will clear off soon. I hate to let my chickens out to run around on days like this as we have so many Red Tail Hawks flying around here looking for a nice chicken dinner.
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 7:58pm (Nov 7th 2007)

Thanks for the congrats - he hadn't even told his dad about the interview in case he didn't get it, so my hubby was really surprised and pleased for him. Said we should put his rent up now though! ;) Hens are a lot more intelligent than I thought - my boss used to put a duvet over the coop in winter to try and keep them warm but it didn't help much so he lined the inside instead!

Pleased to hear about your stepson Lynn. It seems all we hear is bad news every day from that part of the world - I hope they all come home safe and sound soon. My friend's partner was there a while ago just before all this latest trouble and it made his mind up to leave the army.

They say the Brits always talk about weather but blimey yours is so changeable over there! Last time we had a power cut it was because a fuse blew at the local sub-station. I remember sitting through blackouts as a child when there were strikes - playing cards by candlelight or going to bed early were the only things left to do!

I love to see birds of prey flying around - its so rare to see them over here that it's a novelty. There are a lot of fields on my way to work that have a plentiful supply of wild rabbit for them. Hope the hens never get to meet any - hawks that is, not rabbits!!
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 8:27pm (Nov 7th 2007)

I was about to write that the 3 girls were fast asleep when they suddenly all seemed to wake up! I put the speakers on and thought I could hear footsteps, but its probably just the wind. Milly has put her head straight back down, but Tilly and Penny are still listening out.

Is there any reason for their names? They're so sweet I just wondered if they'd been picked at random or were after favourite aunts, that sort of thing!! (Chickens always make me think of old maiden aunts with big bosoms and an apron, bustling around in the kitchen feeding everyone - I know, I'm weird!!)
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 10:58pm (Nov 7th 2007) edited

LOL - I love Kate's thoughts on chicken names. A woman here on Whidbey had a large flock and called all of the them Margaret. :)

Just got back from a walk with a friend & our doggies. We have lots 'o hawks (& eagles around here.) There is a pair of Red Tails that live in a funny tree with no needles on the whole top half of it (its kind of a land mark) at Greenbank farm. This is a huge area where lots of community things happen - including dog walking. Anyway, today one of the resident hawks was being chased all over by a very angry smaller bird who was diving at it from the tail end. A heron flew by without any apparent interest or cares. I love herons - they are so prehistoric looking.

CONGRATS to Neil & to Kate's son,
    and STAY SAFE to Lynn's stepson

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 7th, 2007 11:14pm (Nov 7th 2007)

I think the cam has slipped, but I can still see that the girls are resting happily :)
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 1:36am (Nov 8th 2007)

Yes, the cam has slipped but I can see all of the roosting, hunkered down pretty well. I think Milly is off on her own in the far corner, the other two look like the are close...In fact, it looks like Penny may be scrunched over Tilly....

Congrats to all on the job and the safe soldier.....
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 5:24am (Nov 8th 2007)

I think it might still be windy. They have all stood up and are facing each other, & Milly is talking a little bit... Don't mind fireworks, but dislike wind?
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 6:25am (Nov 8th 2007)

Milly up front now facing Tilly (?) Milly is flapping her wings and stretching....
    Penny, in back, still seems to be sleeping, although she is in standing position.
    Tilly has backed off from Milly and is barely visible on the left. Milly now has stuck her head back into her feathers. Looks like nobody is quite ready to get up yet.....
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 6:27am (Nov 8th 2007)

Penny in the back has just started stretching and scratching. And Tilly is active, too...every once in awhile her head pops into the scene. Ooops....Penny is back to roosting, along with Milly. Tilly seems to still be resisting the temptation....
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 8:12am (Nov 8th 2007)

Christmas lights in the coop!! :)

Chickens, of course, aren't interested... :-\
    • CommentTimeNov 8th, 2007 7:53pm (Nov 8th 2007)

Tilly and Penny are lying together, but I can only see one head so it looks like a HHHUUUGGGEEE black chicken and little Milly by its 'bum' :) They must be feeling the cold. I heard on the weather report that it was going to get really windy up north and much colder everywhere tomorrow so I assume they're huddling for warmth.

Its really cold here now (and windy!) - I've just been to the chip shop and when I got there I found I'd got a flat tyre. I drove back really slowly (its only about 2 miles if that) and helped my husband change it. Well, when I say helped, I held the torch while he did the work. What's the old saying - you don't have a dog and bark yourself!!! :D

I think Margaret is a great name for a chicken. We have a comedy show called Little Britain and they do a sketch where a shop owner shouts an awkward customer's questions up to his wife in a particular way, and she waits ages before she answers. I'm sure Red and Neil will know it but don't know if its got to America. Anyway, I could imagine the chickens being called in that voice and them all coming running. Puts a smile on my face!

Christmas lights already Red?! You do like your seasonal holidays! Perhaps the chickens are worried for their bigger 'cousins' - the Turkey! (Are chickens and turkeys related? I've always assumed so?)
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 5:02am (Nov 9th 2007)

Milly has just woken up but the other two are still roosting. Milly is preening everywhere. A nice scratch and a final preen before her head goes under the feathers again.

Kateb, Little Britain is shown here in the US on BBC America, but I've never really watched it. Frankly, most of what they show here is rather awful. I do like Robin Hood--it has grown on me...and the new BBC News show is a blessing. I also really like Gordon Ramsey and watched Cash in the Attic when it was on. The two cleaning ladies are a riot and I catch "My Family" when I"m on the exercise bike! Funny thing is, I never watch "reality" shows, but I will watch Gordon and the cleaning ladies without any sense of shame! I'm not too keen on those two women remaking wardrobes...I like the US version better.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 5:30am (Nov 9th 2007)

How's the wind there now?

I've never heard of Little Britain. Here its...Time Goes By, Are you being served, Mulberry (I LOVE Mulberry), Rosemary & Thyme, Faulty Towers, Mr Bean & Thin Blue Line, plus others - all on public television only (not main stream tv channels.)

Oh all the girls have stood up and faced each other again.
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 5:49am (Nov 9th 2007)

Kateb, I've seen Little Britain on BBC America a few times, but I think they took it off and put on something else now instead.
    The girls are starting to wake up a bit now... it's still sounds windy around the coop. We should make the girls little nightgowns for these cold nights...ummmm..on second thought I don't think they'd like them much. :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 11:25am (Nov 9th 2007)

Some humour transfers quite well from UK to USA and vice versa, and some doesn't. I love Heroes and Lost, and enjoy most comedy programmes especially Scrubs. I presume the two cleaning ladies is "How clean is your house?" I like that too, can't believe the way some people live and the improvement they make. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is fabulous - ABC really go overboard on that one. I read that they did a house on your island Diane, so I'll have to look out for that episode. That's one programme that wouldn't work over here! Doctor Who is fabulous, can't wait for the next series!

The girls seem quite happy today, bustling around and having a good go at the big pumpkin!
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 3:34pm (Nov 9th 2007)

Hello Milly, can you see me!! I have a lovely view of your eye!
    I can't believe how much pumpkin has disappeared since I last looked! Milly is really enjoying it at the moment having a good ol' peck! It doesn't look as windy there today or is it just the eye of a storm?!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 5:48pm (Nov 9th 2007)

Yes, that's right Kate - a local news station kept coming on and asking for volunteers while it was happening. Apparently they needed a lot more people to pitch in. It was on the mainland across from me somewhere.

This is the first time I've seen the lights in the coop. Beautiful. Its still windy there I see. And the pumpkin. Looking trully frightening now! No chickens in sight. They must be hiding from the wind. Its, what, about 6:30 pm there? Looks completely dark already.
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 6:45pm (Nov 9th 2007)

Looks like everyone is already asleep...Milly off to the side by herself. Is that one big at dark hen to the left or two cuddled together?

I'm wondering how bad the storm surge over on the east coast of the UK is turning out to be? The Thames barrier looks neat when it is up...hope it is working well...
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 8:54pm (Nov 9th 2007)

I think it's now been billed as "the storm that wasn't" - the tidal wave didn't happen, though there was some flooding in certain places.

Glad it wasn't as bad as they thought it might be, but it makes you wonder how the UK would have coped, we seem particularly bad at things like that.

On US/UK tv - I love 'scrubs' and 'my name is earl', and 'litle britain' too!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 9:18pm (Nov 9th 2007)

Ah - My Name is Earl :D I like that one so much I ordered all the episodes on Netflix, because I'm at work when its on now. What about "The Office" - based on a UK show with a different name. That's one of my favorites... Partly because I've been the boss a number of times over the years and I can identify with what an idiot the he is on this show :) lol
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 9:19pm (Nov 9th 2007)

Hens? Oh! The Milly & Girls reality show is as exciting as ever! Tonight the sleep order is Tilly/Penny and then several inches further to the right, Milly !
    • CommentTimeNov 9th, 2007 10:25pm (Nov 9th 2007)

I'm sure the national news channels were disappointed that the storm surge didn't create more havoc-they seem to revel in that sort of thing and almost enjoy the human tragedy elements. It's been a really bad year in England for flooding due to adverse weather conditions - global warming beginning to have an effect maybe?

Good call with My Name is Earl (actually, my nephew's name IS Earl!!) Great episode with Christian Slater a few weeks ago. The Office was called the same over here. Can't say I watched it much - my husband hated it. I think you need to have worked in an office to truly 'get' the humour.

The girls haven't done anything since Diane's post and are still in the same places. They are all awake though - can see the light on their eyes. Tilly/Penny on the far left has just had a stretch and a shake and settled back down though she seems undecided whether to lie down or stand up now.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 12:03am (Nov 10th 2007)

It sounds like the wind has kicked up again. The girls keep opening their eyes and looking around. You can hear the wind blowing the plastic around.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 3:24am (Nov 10th 2007)

Yes, its so loud that I had to put the mute on because Maya (one of my kitties) got scared and ran to look for a place to hide. The hens, on the other hand, are now sleeping peacefully... And STILL in the same places :)
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 5:07am (Nov 10th 2007)

My kitty Chelsea love's the hen and enjoys the sound too, even the wind. When she hears Scarlet talking to Milly she starts to purr. I have to leave the hen cam on all day, just so she can watch the chickens...I have a strange cat. The hens keep opening their eyes to check the wind out, but they seem pretty calm. I guess they are use to it.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 5:58am (Nov 10th 2007)

Oh - you have a sweeeet cat! :D
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:10am (Nov 10th 2007)

Hey, what's going on? Weeeeeeeeee......... round the garden and upside down too........
    Now we are watching the Saturday project taking shape.
    What are you intending to do? Looks very busy, stuff going in and out of the shed now....
    Oooops, where have you all gone?
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:13am (Nov 10th 2007)

Is that a sledge or a surf board?
    Me thinks it maybe a shed clearance...
    Plenty of stuff to go onto Freecycle instead of landfill.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:24am (Nov 10th 2007)

Hey, look-out, mind us in the camera! We are about to get buried and lost amongst all this stuff coming out...
    Phew, I thought I was a hoarder.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:26am (Nov 10th 2007)

This is getting ridiculous! That looked just like a coffin lid !!!!
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 10:00am (Nov 10th 2007)

Halloween stuff, Ollie :D

The shed is being cleared out and cleaned, so the chickens are all hiding at the back of the coop :-\
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 11:08am (Nov 10th 2007) edited

I guess you've come in out of the rain, it's just got to me here.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 3:25pm (Nov 10th 2007)

The only way to get rid of junk is move house! When you decide to have a clear out lots of things are kept in case they come in useful, but when you're loading a van and thinking about unloading the other end, then off to the tip it goes!!

It sounds exceptionally windy again, and the girls are constantly looking around. Milly is still pecking at that pumpkin, and Penny's having a look down the lens today - hi Penny!
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 4:49pm (Nov 10th 2007) edited

Great idea on how to get rid of junk Kateb. I have been in this house for 46 years now and it is wonderfully stuffed with treasures! (That's junk to every one else).

The girls have gone to bed now, it is almost dark here.
    I just love their fairy-lights. I have them all over my house and solar powered ones in the garden.

That must be the last of the pumpkins, unless you have stashed some away in the freezer!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 5:33pm (Nov 10th 2007)

You have Freecycle over there then? My sister just turned me on to it. I'm so behind the times...

Yes, the lights look beautiful to me as well. You can buy solar powered ones?
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 5:56pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Hi Diane. Yes I am just starting to clear my large garage that hasn't had room to put a car in for over twenty years. It will be appearing on Freecycle. Not the car - the junk... er, rather the valuable goods about to go onto local screens. I have given quite a few things away, plenty more to come.

The solar fairy lights in strings I have only just found after searching the net for quite some time. They were quite expensive though.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 6:04pm (Nov 10th 2007)

I have just spotted Neil's invitation to their "Pie 'n Peas" tonight. Yummy yummy. Just the thing to spoil the diet.
    Post a dishfull on here Neil please.
    I think I can hear some sparkler fireworks but can't see yet.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 6:41pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Hey everyone, bonfire & fireworks will hopefully be starting in the next 15 - 20 minutes...so keep watching!!

Ollie, you're welcome to help yourself to parkin pigs and gingerbread pumpkins too :)
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 6:45pm (Nov 10th 2007)

I can hear the fireworks starting in the distance, the lights in the girl's pen have gone out..I'll skip the pea's but the pie sounds good. :-)
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 6:51pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Ooops, power cut on the coop. Maybe you need some solar lights too.
    Thanks for all the nosh, just having a little glass to wash it down, Chears.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 8:16pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Thanks for a lovely evening Neil and family. The fireworks were great and I'm sure we all enjoyed our time with you.
    Hens are settling down again,they look so sweet snuggled up together.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 8:26pm (Nov 10th 2007)

Thank you for including us in your fireworks, Neil and family it was very enjoyable to watch. :-) It makes the over 7000 mile distance seem so much less.
    • CommentTimeNov 10th, 2007 9:20pm (Nov 10th 2007)

I still haven't spotted the fairy lights - are they outside?! I've never used freecycle - I'm afraid with work and going to the ice rink 3 times a week minimum I don't have time to bother with such things. If its in good condition I take it to the Cat Protection charity shop, if it isn't then I take it to the tip. Since ebay people seem to be getting greedy and would rather sell something they don't want than pass it on to someone needy.

I missed the fireworks but our neighbours have just had some and scared the pants off my cats! Hope you enjoyed the food - I did stew for tea tonight and left it to cook for about 5 hours - scrumtious!

The camera's a little bit drunk tonight, but I can still see the girls, all fast asleep (just having a peek occasionally!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 12:54am (Nov 11th 2007)

Hi all. Wish I could pick up some of your Freecycle items Ollie :)

Yup, looks like the chickens are sleeping on a slide from this cam angle. Makes me want to grip onto my computer chair. lol

I love it that you are a charity supporter Kate :)

Will there be any photos of the food? I still can't quite picture. Even so - I'm getting HUNGRY !! Bye.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 12:56am (Nov 11th 2007)

Kate - the lights are in the downstairs (daytime) area of the coop. Really nice coverage of the space. Artsy even.
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 6:01am (Nov 11th 2007)

Hi,
    All the girls are standing up but look asleep....I can't see Milly's head, however, as the camera is tilted...

Diane, I do a similiar thing...I donate items to the "Safe Haven" charity store which is run by a no-kill shelter organization. When I rescued my Slicker 5 years ago right at this time of year, I didn't want to send him to the Humane Society since I thought he would be adopted out to a family who would quickly lose him if they let him out the door or tried to keep him as an outside dog (which is a no-no for me1) I called Safe Haven but they didn't have any room at the time. So, we kept him and he has turned in to a wonderful, wonderful buddy for me. Although, I must say, the two chihuahua's aren't fond of him at all!!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 7:41am (Nov 11th 2007)

The girls are up and have moved outside, I can hear them, but can't see them till the cam is moved.
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 8:03am (Nov 11th 2007)

Yes, they're all out and it seems to be a sunny day....I"m not usually up this late...oh, I can hear one of them really cooing loudly!! Noise...I wish I could get a glimpse of their downstairs playpen instead of just seeing the asleep! I'm hoping someone is getting ready to change the view....It sounds like something is going on....
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 8:20am (Nov 11th 2007)

Good morning Gloria and LynnW.
    It is quite dull here in UK but promising to brighten up a litle. I hope so as I need to rake leaves off my grass.
    Chicks bedroom is empty, they must be scratching around outside.
    No signs of human life yet, maybe all snoring away after watching last night's TV of our Queen and family paying tribute to lost war personelle.
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 9:20am (Nov 11th 2007)

Still just a view of the abandoned boudoir....lots of clucking down below.
    I'm downloading a torrent and that is why I'm up so late...with only about 20 minutes to go, I can't see abandoning it until tomorrow. Wish I could see the girls.......I guess I'll be sleeping late tomorrow, too!
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 9:36am (Nov 11th 2007)

Vioces over the cam'. Maybe we are going to be released.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 9:36am (Nov 11th 2007)

Oh Gee... Here is Niel calling out our roll call.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 9:38am (Nov 11th 2007)

Good morning Neil.
    Now I can hear Red talking to Millie.
    Awwwwww......
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 9:46am (Nov 11th 2007)

They are all settled in now, fresh water and grapes to run about for.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th, 2007 4:33pm (Nov 11th 2007)

What sort of dog is Slicker then Gloria? Bet your chihuahuas keep it in order! The best pets always seem to be the ones that choose us. As a child we went to an aged aunt's house to have one of her puppies. There were 2, a black and white and a brown, black and white. I wanted the latter. When it came time to go it couldn't be found, so my nan said we should have the other. She was the best dog I ever knew and the best pet I ever had.

I can see the lights now - can't believe I missed them before! When I came on line at 4.28pm the girls were milling around, then all ran up the plank to bed! Will have to wait for a new camera angle to see what they're up to later!