Site Tag Cloud

21st advice album alert amazing animal animals area arrived aubree babies baby bad bald bam bath battery beautiful belated ben big bill bird birthday black bonfire bound box breed breeds british broken broody bull bun buy buying cage caged cam camera captions car care cat cc chicken chickens chook chooks christmas chucks clicker colour competition contact coop coops cornsnake council couple cruelty cutting dad day dead death decide derby diane diet dog dogs donna dresses drinking early easter eat eating egg eggbound eggs elvis emergency falcon falcons farm feather feathers feed feeding finally find fireworks first foggy for forum foundation free frog fun funny future garden girl girls goldie good goodbye gotcha great growing hagley hall hamster happy heavy helen hen hencam hens hike home horse house housing huge ideas improvements info inscription introduce introducing introduction james julie july jumper kasper kaspers kate late latest lathargic laying lead lee leeds leg lemon life likes london long lost love lovely lyle lynn machine mareks meet members merry mice milly mite morning moult mouse moving mums mystery nail nanny new news nice night noisy nook norths ollie online page pancake parrot party pecking peregrine personal pet pets photos pic pics pictures plants plus poland poorly positive post poultry production prom pumpkin purple quail questions rabbit rain rare rat recall red reds reinforcement remember renee rescue review rip ronston roof sad sale scarlet service shelled shirley shobhna show sids slightly slow snake sneezing snow soft spammers special spring staffordshire start stop terrier thomas thread ticket tilly time today tom training tree trev trevs uk update urgent valentines vegan vet visitors visits volka walk wanted warning webcam weekend welfare where wild wilsden winnie winter women woods work world wrong ya yay year yorkshire zoey zoeys 1 2 4 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2016

• CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 7:08pm (Dec 7th 2007) edited

I just saw Neil move the camera to inside the coop...Neil, I hope you will get to feeling better soon.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:18pm (Dec 7th 2007)

I hope you're not 'literally' running into those public workers Diane!!! ;) Wishing your mom well too Lynn, Christmas is a bad time of year for the health of the more elderly among us - I hope she's home soon.

I really worry about the standards of driving in dear ol' blighty. People have no awareness of what's going on around, just total selfishness. They block junctions just so's they don't lose their place in the queue, or stop from 30mph to let someone pull out. They don't indicate, switch lanes, no mirrors, I don't know how you cope with them Wazza. I'm on the road for a relatively short time each day and they drive me bonkers. I feel for my son - a white van man! - who has to put up with it each day. At least they pretend to know how to drive when Wazza's on duty!!!!

The girls - or should that be girl! Can see one GREAT BIG BLACK HEN's body and nothing else. Very shiny feathers though, gently breathing in and out, in and out.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:38pm (Dec 7th 2007)

Know what you mean; I let three cars out of a junction yesterday and the arse behind me (not mine, I mean the arse driving the CAR behind me)hooted. So I let two more out and turned off...
    Tell your White Van Boy to stay safe!
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:45pm (Dec 7th 2007)

Ha ha!! Good for you. If ever you see a blue focus with an irate woman ranting away behind the wheel be kind to me!! Hate people that hang back waiting for the green light to go red too.

He's been driving about 2 and a half years and has probably done more miles in that time than me in the 14 years I've been out there!
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:47pm (Dec 7th 2007)

I still yearn for the blades on the hubcaps. And I haven't been good, so I don't spose Father Christmas will oblige...
    I still can't get over how relaxing it is to watch chickens SLEEP. Praps Neil could sell videos for insomniacs?
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 8:54pm (Dec 7th 2007)

I just told the story of Janice's kitten to my son and he said this is a site for saddo's. From someone who spends ages on facebook, msn messenger, bebo and lord knows what else. Don't ya just hate kids? Personally I'm proud to be a saddo!

HUGE BLACK HEN has stood up and I can see a little bit of Milly behind her.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 9:53pm (Dec 7th 2007)

This hen looks more like an artichoke to me.
    Are you having us on Neil? You've sold the hens and put an artichoke in there on a stick to fool us all ! ! !
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 10:24pm (Dec 7th 2007)

Hi guest visiting.
    I do hope you have a good look around the site and become as addicted as we are.
    Watching hens is soooo soothing. Some times they sleep and the rest of the time they just scratch around.....
    Bliss....
    Welcome.....
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeDec 7th, 2007 11:32pm (Dec 7th 2007)

Hi, everyone! Healing thoughts to Lynn's mom and Neil and his bug. I see the artichoke, Ollie...that's a great description. I will add another....looks like some of the cactus around here....a neighbor has one on her "lawn" that looks EXACTLY like a huge artichoke!

We're going to have a change of weather....breezy now, and the temperature will drop to the 50's over the weekend and there may be some rain. Then, we're supposed to getting another warming trend. Still no really hard freeze...my fig tree still has green leaves!

My winter garden is doing well....some of the greens are ready to be harvested! I'm anxiously awaiting my first bok or pak choi, but that will be later....
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 5:59am (Dec 8th 2007)

Oh Me Oh My ..... what a gorgeous hen!!!!! I do not know which she is but she is very near the camera and looks huge. Her feathers look like gold. I wish I had a picture of that scene. I would frame it and have a masterpiece.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 7:36am (Dec 8th 2007)

Now, what ever hen it is, that is so close to the camera, she must be sitting on top of it.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 4:40pm (Dec 8th 2007)

Well, I've completely missed the hens today! They're already in bed, I've got to go out, so will have to check in later and watch them sleep. I feel like an American!!!!

Went into the local town today to do some christmas shopping and it was horrendous. Walked round and round, only bought one thing, and it poured down the whole time. All the roads were awash. Feel like its been a real wasted day. :(

How's your mom Lynn?
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 5:42pm (Dec 8th 2007) edited

Ooooo Gloria your garden sounds so nice.

Lol. Kate that got me thinking about scales of insanity. Watching awake hens busily going about their day - somewhat loopy. Watching sleeping hens or an empty hen house - completely gonzo (otherwise described as American :) ) So timezone is a variable in the diagnosis of this particular illness. :P
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 5:59pm (Dec 8th 2007)

All are in bed now, about 6 pm UK time...A bit of a breeze. The sign is not visible tonight.
    Wonder when the upstairs view will be on?

Diane, I saw some pictures of the flooding around Seattle...WOW, it's really awful...Even got the Walmart!!

I'm going to harvest some mustard and broccoli raab greens today...
    • CommentTimeDec 8th, 2007 11:01pm (Dec 8th 2007)

I can see half a black hen and a little bit of white right back in the distance. Will have to make more of an effort tomorrow to see them toddling around!

Its my birthday tomorrow - if I don't celebrate it does it mean I don't have to count it?!!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 12:38am (Dec 9th 2007) edited

For Kate:

:D A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU :D

Gloria - brocolli, mmmm I love brocolli. How do you prepare the mustard tho (someone gave me seeds but I'm reluctant to plant them because in Calif. -where I grew up- they were just weeds.)

The rain is coming down so hard on the coop that I could hear it over the cam two and a half rooms away.

Hen Report: One brown lump, another brown lump and then a white lump-all snoozing peacefully. Kate, I wonder what kind of wierd dreams hens have? Maybe a human shop with people crawling all over and no Tilly to peck everything into order... Then again, I guess a hen's version of an anxiety dream would be a landscape full of debris as far as the eye can see, and scratch as much as a little hen might, not an edible scrap of anything anywhere !! Aaaaaaaa. Squawk !!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 1:52am (Dec 9th 2007)

Kate; have a happy one! Is it the Year of the Chicken in the Hencam Zodiac?
    What with Gloria too...!
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 4:20am (Dec 9th 2007)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATE !!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 5:50am (Dec 9th 2007)

HBD-kateb.jpg
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:18am (Dec 9th 2007)

Yes Gloria, even Walmart wasn't impervious to flooding, it turns out. Six counties up here (that I know of) were severely damaged; south & west of Lynn & I - although uncomfortably close to Lynn. They are in an official Federal State of Emergency, poor things. Five others declared local states of emergency, including the one Lynn lives in, plus two cities and two tribes. Its terrible - 1,000s of homes damaged & worse - 8 people and about 1,000 cows died, as well as unknown numbers of horses, sheep and wild animals.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:24am (Dec 9th 2007) edited

Hi Lynn! Its 17 degrees in Oak Harbor. My teeth are chattering. Don't think I can wait up for the changing of the cam. Must go get under the covers.... Cya.

Hen Report: Milly & sisters are standing up, waiting for breakfast and listening to POUNDING rain.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:51am (Dec 9th 2007)

The girls are leaving the coop..it always cracks me up to see Milly looking right in the camera just before she leaves. Time for me to go to bed, now that the hens are outside for the day. Night Night everyone.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 10:11am (Dec 9th 2007)

What surprise when I came into this discussion to see the beautiful "Happy Birthday" messages.
    It was mine on the 8th and I thought it was a late for me from yesterday !

Happy Birthday Kateb !

Did you find that when you were young, relatives would combine birthday and christmas into one gift? I felt so cheated.
    My close family have consequently made a point of separating the two. This now falls to my sisters-in-law who bring them personally. It is so sweet of them, especially as I am way past counting any more and I don't even know when their birthdays are.

Is a hen's birthday when the egg was laid or when it hatched?
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 11:30am (Dec 9th 2007)

Happy Birthday Ollie and Kateb :)

We need a list of birthdays so we all know.....!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 11:48am (Dec 9th 2007)

Thanks Neil.

Now what was all that kaffufle about with Red and Millie?
    Red was so panicky and my heart sank.
    Millie was fished out of the back of the coop and whisked away with Red shouting for Dad.
    Couldn't make out the following conversation but much later Red was sitting with Millie on her lap and all seemed calm.
    Red brought Weetabix for hen lunch. I noticed Tilly had her fill, letting Penny in after a while but both had to move away before Millie got a look-in.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 2:29pm (Dec 9th 2007)

Thanks everyone for the birthday messages and HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLLIE! (Better a day late than never!) One of my best friends had her birthday yesterday (we were born a day apart), and I know 3 other people with birthdays today. Plus several people say "its my aunt, nephew, neighbours dog's" birthday on the 9th. Must be a common day (or is that popular - sounds better!) Did you do anything nice Ollie? I hope the family all made a fuss of you.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 2:33pm (Dec 9th 2007)

(How come everything's in italics?)

The girls all seem quite happy today. When I first booted up and saw Neil's headline my heart sank - I'm so relieved that Milly is OK. Its strange the affection we all seem to feel for 3 hens we've never met but that manage to keep us entertained by the wonder of the world wide web!

Tilly looks really big today - I hadn't really noticed that before - and Penny and Milly are to the rear of the area having a scratch around. Glad you're OK Milly!!
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 3:26pm (Dec 9th 2007)

no longer a member

{Quote}Hi wazza. Hey I really like that name: Ladies of the American Sector (LAS - by the way) and then Ladies & Gentlemen of the United Kingdom (LGUK - oh...well)
    How are you wazza? I'm really appreciating knowing a bit about what your job is like from the inside. It also increases my compassion for the public workers I run into during my day to day activities. Well, except ferry workers. Idiots... grrr. Clearly, I need a ferry worker to join hencam and talk about their job.{UnQuote}

well I am honoured diane

If I can help in anyway just holla
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 3:49pm (Dec 9th 2007)

Well, Penny and Tilly both went off up to bed, and as soon as Milly realised she flapped her wings and dashed up the ladder. I can just about see her feet - she must be waiting for the others to settle before she nestles down. In she goes - good night girls!
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 4:33pm (Dec 9th 2007)

LW_HBD-ollie.jpg
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:02pm (Dec 9th 2007) edited

There is so much that has been written in this thread since last night!! But first and foremost:

OLLIE,
    A VERY HAPPY
    (if late)
    BIRTHDAY TO YOU !!

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:09pm (Dec 9th 2007)

And MILLY - sweet girl I'm soooo glad you are ok.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 7:20pm (Dec 9th 2007)

Neil, what does it mean if they can't get up? I mean, what have they caught/got/developed? There's so much I don't know about chickens...
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 8:25pm (Dec 9th 2007)

Many thanks Lynn for the yummy huge cake, It needs to be big to hold all the candles, alas, there are so many that Teddy can't squash them all on.
    And thank you to Dianne for the mobile greeting.

Now every one has to confess their birthdays and put them into the BIRTHDAYS discussion page. Year of birth optional.

Remember it is someone's birthday every day. In fact World population divided by 365, not forgetting that odd extra day now and then.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2007 9:18pm (Dec 9th 2007)

Useless fact; if there's 23 people in a room, there's a 50/50 chance that 2 people will share the same birthday.
    So I don't get out much, what of it? :)
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 8:11am (Dec 10th 2007)

I stayed up till after midnight and I finally get to see Neil move the camera again...the girls are outside..have a great day everyone..I'm dragging off to bed now..night night.
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 8:13am (Dec 10th 2007)

no longer a member

Had a face full of chicken feathers this morning til Niel moved the cam....
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 9:21am (Dec 10th 2007)

Well if a chicken can't get up, it's usually serious...

Libby (one of the original three hens we got) developed blood poisoning, and it comes on so quick there's very little you can do - we noticed she couldn't stand up when we let them out one morning, so bundled her in a cardboard box and took her to the vet, but she died on the way there :(

It can also signify dreaded Marek's disease and a few other nasties.

They're such hardy creatures normally but when they come down with something...
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 9:51am (Dec 10th 2007)

Perhaps that's natures way - make them hardy as possible but when they do get something make it quick and hopefully painless. Its so sad when these animals that come into our lives and take a little piece of our heart die. I'd like to wish a very long and very healthly life for "our" 3 hens!!

I can see all 3 pottering around in the wind this morning. The camera is a bit 'drunk' and sloping - don't know if that's original placement, chicken intervention, or the winds. It was really awful when I left home this morning, torrential rain and unbelievable wind. Seems to have all gone away now!
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 5:34pm (Dec 10th 2007)

Praps Neil's been at the NightNurse...!
    Just going to go and make Sage and Onion stand up....
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 9:43pm (Dec 10th 2007)

Can just imagine the poor pair with CC bursting in to the coop shouting "stand by your beds" in her best dad's army style!
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 9:48pm (Dec 10th 2007)

I have a black picture tonight - is it just me or is the cam down? Can you see anything Diane or Lynn (or guest!)
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 9:49pm (Dec 10th 2007)

The cam seems to have gone black..I see nothing..I still have the sound, but no picture..Maybe Penny is sitting on the camera trying to hatch it. :D
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2007 10:19pm (Dec 10th 2007)

Yes, it might be a chicken eclipse...and by the time I got home from playing for the choir, S&O were long abed. Snap inspection in the morning!
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 12:44am (Dec 11th 2007)

Hi, all and belated Happy Birthday to Ollie!
    Glad that Milly is OK...perhaps she gets high on dust???

Screen is still black....as is our sky now as the sun has set on a very rainy day! The dogs barely got out ...they won't wear raincoats anymore, so I have to try to get them out between the spurts of rain.
    This is truly winter now....a couple of gray days, then a warming trend and eventual full sunshine in a few days. By Thursday, things will be back to normal, thank goodness! This is presently what I call "New Jersey weather" (damp, gray, chilly to the bone) which is quite similar to London weather, although London weather moves much faster!~ I was so intrigued by the changing weather in London when I lived there that I wrote a poem about it entitled "When the Sun Comes to England." LOL! Really, I did!!
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 9:40am (Dec 11th 2007)

Happy to see the cam is back up and working this morning! Girls are bustling around looking very busy - the wood looks wet and shiny but I can't see any rain and being at work don't have any sound so assume its OK at the moment. I have a lovely view of Milly's tail and can see her lovely plumage - black feathers tipped with white. P&T are pottering around behind.

How are Sage and Onion - hope their beds were clean and tidy and boots polished!
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 2:22pm (Dec 11th 2007)

Just been lucky enough to catch Red giving Milly a cuddle. Tilly got a telling off for pecking Milly - bad girl! Is she jealous? Milly looked very comfortable on your lap Red, thought she was going to keep you there all afternoon! Hope your cough gets better soon. x
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 5:55pm (Dec 11th 2007)

Sage & Onion all present and correct this morning, roaring out of the coop at mach 3 because I threw a load of cooked rice on the lawn; Onion didn't even crow before he got stuck in!
    I have never yet managed to see a human bean on camera...rare sighting?!
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 6:17pm (Dec 11th 2007)

Well, glad things are back to normal....which means, the girls are up to bed already and I've missed their daytime activities, as usual!! LOL... However, their playpen looks nice and I hear a small plane going overhead...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 7:37pm (Dec 11th 2007)

Same here Gloria :)

Except now the cam is focused on them in the sleeping coop. Hens in dreamland.

Gloria - are you a poet?
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 7:43pm (Dec 11th 2007) edited

I'm hoping there will be a new Henblog soon. My heart still lurches every time I see the current title... I know, its a bit emotionally extreme. But that the nature of love for a hen 5,000 miles (about 7,500 kilometers) away, eh?
    • CommentTimeDec 11th, 2007 7:55pm (Dec 11th 2007)

Looks like Penny up front tonight, with Tilly in the back right corner. No sign of Milly - assume she's at the back. Oh, she just popped her head up from behind Penny, and P&T have stood up too.

Penny's had a scratch and put her head back under her wing so all is settled again. Can see the top of Milly's head (is it called a comb?!) Penny had a look around again, and Tilly adjusted her position. All settled again now. Hope you don't get too cold tonight girls - it was minus 5 degrees last night here in the midlands!
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 5:52am (Dec 12th 2007) edited

All the chickens are standing up - showing their pretty little chicken toes. Hiding their fabulous faces though.

Ack! The minute I said that Penny (your memory trick is working for me Kate) pulled her head out from under her wing and glared at me. Its always a shock when they seem to hear you, eh? Ah time for a little midnight preening.
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 6:46am (Dec 12th 2007)

I can see the two black hens, but don't see little Milly at all, she must be far to the right of the camera. I'm heading off to bed early tonight, I don't think I slept more than and hour last night....oh..my ducks got here today, all safe and sound. Runner Ducks are funny looking, but darling..they look like long thin wine bottles and don't waddle like regular ducks, they stand on their tip toes and run. I wonder what my chickens are going to think of them. :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 8:30am (Dec 12th 2007)

I'm glad your ducks made it safe & sound. They sound like neat little birds.

I'm up late enough to see the morning feed! Just watched Penny (can even see the lovely orange of her neck collar) bravely grab something yummy out of Tilly's mouth. And there's the lovely Milly, exploring the wonderous world hidden in the straw. Ooops, now its time to play in the sandbox. Well, yawn - off to bed.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 12:04pm (Dec 12th 2007)

Site for Saddos ?????? Kate ????????? The vet said that my kitten was a result of his mother getting bred by a bobcat . We have a species of wild cat here who is not much larger than a big house cat and according to Dr. Derry there are several instances of the two mating. He said that the kitten probably lived had it been delivered C-section .
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 2:40pm (Dec 12th 2007)

Girls are all at the back of the coop in the extension bit...I might go give them something hot to eat, but i aren't staying with them for long because it's freezing outside... :)

I just noticed on the main page of hencam, the tree and chicken hutch is covered in snow, and the tree has flashing lights: awesome :D
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 2:49pm (Dec 12th 2007)

no longer a member

the cam has been lowered a tad so we can see the chucks eating I see
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 4:15pm (Dec 12th 2007)

Girls have already gone to bed so I'll have to check in later to see them.

I googled runner ducks - they're so cute! They look like the wooden ducks you can buy in the shops as ornaments (which I keep dropping really BIG hints to my husband that I'd like one!) Have you named them?

That's my son for you Janice! Wow, a bobcat and a rag doll cross - I wouldn't have thought it possible. Is your kitty OK though since the birth?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 7:47pm (Dec 12th 2007)

Yes Janice, how is mother kitty doing? Thats wild - had know idea bobcats could breed (or would want to) with domesticated cats... Whew.

Red - who changes the hencam landscape then? I thought you & Dad were doing it!

Hen Report: snoozing in the sleeping room.
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2007 8:30pm (Dec 12th 2007)

Penny and Tilly are on the perch and it looks from this angle like they're having an animated conversation!! Penny is having a bit of a grooming session and is almost eclipsed by Tilly! I assume Milly is at the rear as usual, but there is a bit of something on the floor on the left of the picture. It doesn't move so I don't think its Milly, but then you never know!!

Just thought - have the Americans amongst us heard the term Saddo's? i.e. sad people with no friends? Doesn't apply to us at all - we're a friendly bunch!

Nature seems to have a way of stopping such strange cross-breeding. Wonder what a Bob-doll would be like - a sweet natured wild cat, or a gorgeous raggy with the most evil temper. Did Dr Derry say if any had ever survived?
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 12:58am (Dec 13th 2007)

Hello Everyone, Thanks Kate and Diane for asking about Cowgirl the cat. She is going to be just fine. The kitten was just long..... very long ...... probably stretched out from the long labor and birth. It was very much alive the night before it was born and very active inside the mother. It was not extremely large other than its lenghth. It would have been a gorgeous yellow cat with grey markings. I do not know about his temperment though. Cowgirl is a very large cat and did not suffer any long term damage. We will make sure to be more careful with her. My neighbor, Jane Carpenter , said there is a bobcat living near the ditch that runs behind her house and he has killed her male kittens. Yes, we have different words for some things here that people in the UK might not understand and the people in the UK have words that we do not understand . It is like the time a lady from London wanted a picture of me so she could put a face to our chat and I sent her a picture of me in front of my house. She said that her husband said I was a scrummy looking bird and my house was scrummy looking too. I interpeted it to be that I looked like a tramp and that my house was trashy . I found out later that it was a compliment to be called scrummy .
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 1:39am (Dec 13th 2007) edited

Lol. Yah, "scrummy" - I've never heard that before either. So it sounds closest to "scummy" (from the root word "scum") which is a definite insult, eh? Glad it wasn't!!

And "saddos" - all this time I thought that meant "sadistic." Glad it got clarified Kate :) I guess it points out the importance of each of us seeking claification from the others if we feel jolted by something someone said. Yah?

I LOVE it that this kitty is named Cowgirl. :D :D What an excellent name for her Janice :)

Hen Report: I see a very clear image of a brown under belly and two very scaley feet. I assume they belong to either Tilly or Penny ;)
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 6:08am (Dec 13th 2007)

I see a black birdy bottom with 2 feet filling up the screen..I don't know which hen it is..just know it's not Milly.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 6:34am (Dec 13th 2007)

Exact same view as four hours ago. And the same view Lynn saw 25 minutes ago. Its an amazing thing - how long a chicken can stand, asleep, in one position.
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 8:11am (Dec 13th 2007)

I see a big fat Tilly bum waiting to be let out :D

Right, i shall go release them seeing as they're waiting so patiently...
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 3:05pm (Dec 13th 2007)

Scrummy comes from scrumptious, like Truly Scrumptious in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

I'm glad Cowgirl is OK - where'd the name come from?! I agree with Diane its excellent!

The girls are milling around right in front of the camera today - having a good 'ol peck and scratch!
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 7:50pm (Dec 13th 2007) edited

Thanks Kate - suddenly it all makes sense. :)

Tilly is in the egg hatching area and, I assume, Milly must be in there as well. Out in front on the roost, however, is Penny - whom I HOPE has her feet latched to the post. All I can see is her belly lapping over each side. DON'T FALL girl! Neil/Red - just how far is the floor from the roosting boards?

Is it cold there? I swear I just saw a puff of steam come out of Penny's nostrals...

Uh oh, gotta go my espresso is boiling over in the kitchen............
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 8:14pm (Dec 13th 2007)

Its still perching Penny and tubby Tilly in sight!!!! Penny has her head tucked under her wing and Tilly seems to be watching her. Can't see Milly, assume she's in the usual place (at the back!)

I assume they don't have heating in there, and the forecast is for sub-zero again tonight, so unless Penny's part dragon you probably did see her breath Diane!
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 8:48pm (Dec 13th 2007)

Don't forget the girls are snuggled into lovely fluffy duvets.
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2007 9:43pm (Dec 13th 2007)

I can see the girl's breath..it must be very cold there tonight..I think I can see Milly behind Penny.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 1:09am (Dec 14th 2007)

Cowgirl is doing well. Thanks. Her name was Cowgirl when I got her from my daughter-in - law's grandmother. She has 4 white paws that look like boots.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 4:46am (Dec 14th 2007)

Ollie that is very funny :) Are they like ducks, as well, with little or no feeling in their featherless footies?

Awww - Janice she sounds soooo cute.

LOL - all three girls are visible. Well, kinda. Somehow they are all managing to show the profiles of their tail ends to the cam. Is there something they are protesting?
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 7:34am (Dec 14th 2007)

The poor girls look so cold...maybe we should knit them sweaters and booties for Christmas:)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 8:29am (Dec 14th 2007)

Thats a wonderful idea Lynn. Do you knit? Lets see... knit one, pearl two - with tiny little needles??

There they are - eating and peeking into the cam. Sweet.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 8:57am (Dec 14th 2007)

Where'd they all go?
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:03am (Dec 14th 2007)

They're all at the back of the downstairs area. Can just about make out Milly's back - looks like Penny's standing on top of her! No, there she is standing on the rear 'fence' again.

Hadn't thought about their feather duvets! My cats wear fur coats but still won't go out if its cold or windy!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:05am (Dec 14th 2007)

Wow - I should stay up this late more often. I can really see the beautiful orange collar that Penny wears :D
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:07am (Dec 14th 2007)

Yes, its very pretty isn't it. I can't believe I never noticed it before - perhaps it 'appeared' when she got her new plumage a couple of months ago.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:08am (Dec 14th 2007)

Ooooo flapping wings. I was just sitting here; really looking at these chickens. They are so wonderful, aren't they. Mmmm. Dear creatures.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:10am (Dec 14th 2007)

Its very hard to turn them off once I've tuned in - when our Business Manager (who I sit by) gets here I'll have to leave them. Penny's very close to the camera today - keep getting 'bum' shots!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:13am (Dec 14th 2007)

It must be nerve wracking Kate. My only problem at the moment is that I'm shaking, I'm so tired. Such addicts we are ;)

Yes, I've seen an unusual amount of tail feather demos today.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:13am (Dec 14th 2007)

The girls look like they're watching for something? Milly and Penny are stood by the fence - now Pen's having a flap and Milly's copying!
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:14am (Dec 14th 2007)

This is a nice time of day to see the girls - they're very active and the light is good so's you can see their feathers etc. One of the black hens is back off to bed! Can see her feet on the ladder.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:17am (Dec 14th 2007)

Off to bed? Do they do that? Go back to bed after breakfast? Milly looks like a paper cut out right now.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:17am (Dec 14th 2007)

P&T have just reappeared from the sleeping quarters!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:17am (Dec 14th 2007)

Hi Ollie. Wow, are there usually this many folks on at, what is it there, 9 am?
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:18am (Dec 14th 2007)

9.18 to be precise. Must be the first thing we all do - check out the hencam!!
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:18am (Dec 14th 2007) edited

no longer a member

Its 0919 am here right now diane
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:19am (Dec 14th 2007)

no longer a member

my clock is 1 minute different to kates
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:20am (Dec 14th 2007)

That's because you posted a minute later!!!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:20am (Dec 14th 2007)

1:20 here. Milly's in the sand box. Anyone else get nervous when she goes there now? :(
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:21am (Dec 14th 2007)

Yes, I do!!! When I thought Penny was standing on her it was a relief to see her stand up.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:23am (Dec 14th 2007)

Well, my teeth are either chattering from fear or fatigue. I'm going to go fall into bed now. It was truly lovely chatting with you two! G'night!! Drive carefully in that fog.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:23am (Dec 14th 2007)

Night night Diane, sleep well! Might catch you on line later when its my bed time and your morning!
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:26am (Dec 14th 2007) edited

Ok. Thank you. Really I am going now. Hate to leave you all. Chiao Kate, Wazza, Ollie and dear hens.
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:27am (Dec 14th 2007)

no longer a member

sleep well dear heart xoxox
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 9:34am (Dec 14th 2007)

All three chickies now sitting on the dust pit wall, just sitting...
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 5:54pm (Dec 14th 2007)

Kate - re your Busybody Manager; I Want One Of Those website sells an Escape Button, which you put on the floor plugged into your pooter. When the Busybody comes by as you are Hencammimg, you press the button, and something innocuous (is that right? It never LOOKS right) and non-hen-related appears on the screen.
    Must be awful to have a proper job...:(
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2007 5:56pm (Dec 14th 2007) edited

Awww - thanks Kate & Wazza. So - Kate? I'm up are you there? :) No hens in view either... I'll "send" this so I can check what time it is there in henworld. Ah- 5:56 pm. Kate, are yah driving home (carefully) through the fog?

Well, later all. Must go get my haircut. Ughh.