• CommentAuthorMayenne Gites
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd, 2015 9:06pm (Nov 23rd 2015)

Hi everyone - this is my fist ever visit to a chat room so I hope I am doing what I should! I am originally from the UK but now live in France. I discovered a fellow villager was neglecting his animals so I suggested I purchased them from him which he eventually agreed to. I then became the proud mother of 6 black hens, 2 Plymouth Rocks and one red hen. The numbers have gone up and down depending on the visits from the neighbourhood foxes and sadly, I am now down to 3 black hens, 1 Plymouth Rock and a cockerel. I also have two geese and 3 pygmy goats. I am into animal rescue and in addition to the two Westies I've had from pups, I have a Labradoodle from Turkey, a Maoritic Shepherd dog from Romania, a Galgo from Spain and "an ordinary" (as they are known) from Egypt - plus two cats! One from Bulgaria and one from the village!

I saw a posting on Create and Craft's FB page of hens wearing knitted coats and wondered where I could buy the pattern. One of your group members told me that she had got the pattern from here - so I thought I would ask to join and ask if I could buy a copy of the knitting pattern too!
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2015 12:01am (Nov 24th 2015)

Hello, :welcome: to hencam!

That's an impressive menagerie you have - I love Pygmy goats!

I'm sorry to hear about your hens, foxes can be a real pain for chicken keepers and it's horrible losing chucks like that...I've never knitted anything (I wish I could knit!) but I believe NN posted the knitting pattern here, the first few posts - is that right?

Hopefully that's it, have fun knitting the hen jumpers and feel free to share pics (we'd love to see completed jumpers or photos of your pets, we're not picky :P )
    • CommentTimeNov 24th, 2015 8:14pm (Nov 24th 2015)

Welcome to the forum Mayenne! You have a wonderful variety of animals - I must confess to being jealous as I prefer animals to people! Assume you live in the countryside rather than a town!

Red, you should have a go at teaching yourself knitting. I came home from rehoming (I volunteer at Cat Protection's homing centre) and Caitlyn (7 year old granddaughter) had found instructions on YouTube and was merrily knitting away! There were some mistakes, and the 23 stitches she started with grew to about 48 after 12 rows, but she also had a go at knitting with 2 colours - talk about run before you can walk! The hen jumpers are lovely and quite easy to do.
    • CommentTimeNov 25th, 2015 4:24pm (Nov 25th 2015)

I reckon you made up Galgos and Maoritics... :rolling: I'll have to go and google them now. Red's right - what a wonderful menagerie you have!
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd, 2015 5:52pm (Dec 2nd 2015)

Hi Mayenne, Welcome to the forum..I'm in the USA..Washington state. :welcome:
    • CommentAuthorlulu
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2015 12:07pm (Dec 9th 2015)

I'm a "newby" and not very computer literate. I'm not exactly sure what I signed up for other than I am trying to knit the chicken sweater posted on this site and am having a devil of a time getting the pattern straight at the neck. I have pulled it out numerous times and now have resorted to asking the person who created it! Please HELP!I'm not sure if this is the proper spot to ask for clarification but it's worth a try. I'm getting bald like the hens from "pulling my hair out!"
    • CommentTimeDec 9th, 2015 7:57pm (Dec 9th 2015)

Hi lulu, I'm not sure that Nanny North (who originally posted the pattern) still visits very often. Have you been to the thread with the pattern in - there is a link in the second post down (the writing in green that's underlined) and that will take you to another 'thread' with the instructions and a photo of a completed chicken sweater. Have a look and see if that helps - I usually find if I can see how it should look it helps me to understand the pattern. I've only ever knitted one of these (I don't have hens myself, just thought I'd try it out!) and it was a while ago, but I will try to help if you can explain where you think you're going wrong. Good luck!
    • CommentTimeDec 10th, 2015 5:03pm (Dec 10th 2015) edited

:welcome: lulu!

Here's the thread again in case you missed it (I can't knit so can't offer any advice and have no idea if this thread is useful!) but hopefully this will help:

If you scroll down after you've clicked that link there are photos as well as the instructions...