• CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 6:04pm (Jan 17th 2016) edited

The day before yesterday was the first time Raiden had ever experienced ice (it has been such a mild winter up to this past week or so!), he was so funny. It was very reassuring though as he was naturally cautious on the ice, which is more than Kasper and Zoey ever were...I always worried about them falling, dislocating a leg etc.

photo firstice2_zpszxhruj2b.jpg

There was A LOT of ice due to all the flooding

photo firstice1_zps5bltqcfz.jpg

It was way more solid on the first day, but these were taken on the second

photo firstice3_zps1jrb7ni9.jpg

Frosty!

photo firstice4_zpsttzfgqdg.jpg

Then the same day these photos were taken we got our surprise snow, too!

photo firstsnow_zpsmcoqnenm.jpg

There was a lot of curious snuffing when he saw snow for the first time, which was adorable, but I was relieved that he wasn't scared / bothered by it at all...I had visions of him hating snow like Zoey, even though he's fine with rain!

You can get a better idea of his size here :)

photo firstsnow_zpsfivtbdcn.jpg

And here's Lyle...in his shorts...and his crocs :rolling: He doesn't have any wellies at the moment (huge holes in both) and he says that the crocs have better have better grip than his hiking shoes

photo firstsnow3_zpsiylt3uou.jpg

Check this out! Not bad for somewhere that so rarely gets snow...it's the most I've ever seen here ^__^

photo firstsnow4_zpseepyul29.jpg

photo firstsnow5_zpsifluryuw.jpg

Video:
    More to come :)
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 6:04pm (Jan 17th 2016)

After about ten minutes Raiden was completely used to the snow - how?! He's only 6 months old! But he was walking to the side of me holding eye contact...

photo firstsnow8_zpssqmnhdhw.jpg

...and he was even offering sits in the snow - chilly bum!!

photo firstsnow6_zps8m2sjort.jpg

:rolling:

photo firstsnow10_zpsxnchvyus.jpg

Huge floofy feet :heart:

photo firstsnow7_zpshcbaenzz.jpg

And the nearby chucks were still up and out in the snow, even though it was about 6pm...they stay up a good few hours after sunset, I wonder if it's the street lights? They can be up past midnight in the summer!

photo firstsnow14_zpsq6lfm9ha.jpg

And here's the little lad getting warm after the walk

photo firstsnow15_zps1fxug54e.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 6:10pm (Jan 17th 2016) edited

After an hour indoors me and Lyle decided to go for a walk in the snow - got to enjoy it while it's here! It was wonderfully deep by this point and everywhere looked beautiful. It was still snowing heavily and the flakes were all fat and lazy...proper movie style snowflakes!

Normally we would have taken Kasper out, but yesterday he only got a toilet walk in the snow - the pavements were already icy, and then snow settled on top of the ice...didn't fancy walking a 24kg dog on that, plus he'd already had a big walk :P I did take him out at 5am this morning, after he'd been sick, and the pavements were really icy then...I was half asleep and Boo took great joy in dragging me down the streets :rolling:

Thankfully the roads were clear by this morning so I had Kasper on a longline, he walked on the pavement and I walked down the road!

photo firstsnow2_zpspe2gxf9s.jpg

The main road through the village and the roads all through town were covered...I guess this area's not used to snow, we saw several gritters going past when the roads were already coated :bigsmile:

photo thedayitsnowed_zpsd7kxcbls.jpg

photo thedayitsnowed1_zpsqpm6ebbf.jpg

photo thedayitsnowed3_zpszj9g3rmg.jpg

We got about an inch in the end, it was really cool!

photo firstsnow13_zps4fdvnfrj.jpg

The Christmas tree in town is still up, minus decorations, and it looked lovely covered in snow

photo thedayitsnowed4_zps5u6gcpyx.jpg

There should be just a few very short clips of the snow towards the end of the video above, at the very end there's a b&w one which looks really good.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 6:36pm (Jan 17th 2016)

I love the one of him with snow all round his chops, Red: and in the video he's fair flying along!
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 6:44pm (Jan 17th 2016)

superb pictures Red..... But Brrrrr Lyle seeing him in his shorts and crocs made me fair shiver. Such a dear little doggie he is looking at you with such love in his eyes xx
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2016 8:33pm (Jan 17th 2016)

He shouldn't be scared of anything really - he's had a good start in life and you've instilled him with confidence so he will approach things with curiosity rather than fear.

We only had a little bit of snow - the roofs and cars were covered, but it disappeared off the pavements and roads pretty quickly once people started to go out and about. So hubby tells me anyway, I stayed in bed until 9am!
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2016 7:14pm (Jan 18th 2016) edited

CC that beard causes him such trouble...treats get lost in it, he struggles to drop things when asked because they get tangled in it, and it gets cold and wet! :rolling:

Thanks NN! Our washing machine broke with storm desmond so we're having to hand wash everything - we wear whatever we have :rofl: He's a little dollop, he's turned into such a mummy's boy...I was worried he'd be way more bonded to Lyle after he didn't see me much, but he's a real lovebug! :heart:

Kate he's going through a fear period at the moment, but we can only just tell!! I remember when Kasper was in a fear period he was so much more fearful of *everything*...with Raiden he literally pauses to look at something, and then he either looks back at me (= treats and we go explore it together) or he barks (= call him away, treats, and we explore it together!). The thing he has been most scared of is a snowman and he was able to bounce back and overcome the fear in 20 seconds
    According to my parents we had as much snow as they did, if not a little more - that has literally never happened!
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2016 7:52pm (Jan 18th 2016)

You have a great relationship with him and it helps him to be confident - how funny that the scariest thing was a snowman!! Won't be many of those around to scare him!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2016 10:37am (Jan 19th 2016)

Oh sorry to hear about the washing machine Red what a nuisance for you. We thought ours was on the way out day after I got back the kitchen floor was soaked and water was squeezing up between the tiles I had just done two loads of bedding so it just seemed logical it was machine. But thankfully no. It was a pipe come loose in cupboard under sink. So a nice easy fix. floor slowly drying out then we can put nice new down. Oh I forgot to tell you G/North did a couple of loads of washing while I was away and used almost half a bottle of concentrated lenor!!! Still at least he tried Ha ha
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2016 2:29pm (Jan 19th 2016) edited

Kate we've walked a few dogs that haven't liked snowmen - I wonder if it's the height, their 'faces' or just the fact you don't see them often?? I don't think Kasper has ever been bothered by them though, and even Zoey (who didn't really like unusual things, or things with faces) didn't care. Thank you ^__^

It's a right pain NN, but at least it didn't flood anything...it just didn't work after the blackout :bigsmile: I've never had to deal with anywhere being flooded, but it sounds awful cleaning everything up. A family member recently had their bathroom flood (not sure how, burst pipe??) and the water went through the floor into the kitchen, then gushed from the kitchen to the basement - aaaagh! Haha, Lyle's the one who knows how to work our washing machine...I kept asking him to show me how to turn it on, but I think after I used washing up liquid by accident at uni he never trusted me bwahahaha! :rolling: I've taken over the handwashing though ;)

We walked Kasper to the field where the snowman was today, and there was still a fairly big heap of snow left. Kasper had a sniff then walked past - he didn't realise it was snow until I started kicking it at him!!

That was it then, he charged back over on his longline and he was smushing his face into it, rolling on top of it, digging at it, chewing it: soooo funny! Lyle said we couldn't have gotten him a more perfect tag than one that says 'Let It Snow' :smile: Kasper had a really nice walk today, even though it wasn't the biggest he had plenty of time on the full longline, lots of training games and kept giving us big happy smiles. My favourite sort of walk!
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2016 6:41pm (Jan 19th 2016)

Posted By: nanny north G/North did a couple of loads of washing while I was away and used almost half a bottle of concentrated lenor!!!

My dad did that when my mum was ill once; he didn't have his glasses and misread 'capfuls' for 'cupfuls'!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2016 10:33am (Jan 20th 2016)

Ha ha well I guess they tried every thing Ironed real easy thats for sure ha ha
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2016 4:37pm (Jan 20th 2016)

Dad had to wash it all over again as it was sort of...slimy....:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2016 8:14pm (Jan 20th 2016)

It's a nightmare having no washing machine. Maybe there was a power surge or something that has messed up it's power board. I was talking to a lady at work and her house flooded because of a burst pipe. Took a year to get back in. I don't know how I'd cope with that, or rather how the cats would. She had to move out - there aren't many rentals that would allow 6 cats who want to go out but can't!!