• CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2016 11:19am (Feb 17th 2016) edited

Didn't know where to put this, and it's possibly the most stupid question anyone has ever asked, but:

Can I use baking soda (both mixed with water and just scattered) as a carpet cleaner around pets, including birds?

With most pets I would use a pet safe spray cleaner, but I don't like even using that around birds. What about baking soda? I know it's really good for cleaning and getting rid of smells (we use it in the garden) and I use a mix with vinegar to clean pet cages, but I'd be using a lot for an entire room...

Also to use it, I know you just sprinkle it on and vacuum it up a few hours later, but I read you can mix it with water and scrub it too - do I need to rinse it out, or just scrub it in and then hoover any residue up?

Thoughts?
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2016 11:25am (Feb 17th 2016) edited

I would guess it's safe as long as they don't eat a lot of it - the smell (or any dust in the air - would it even create/dust up?) shouldn't have any adverse effects but looking at the 'net half says it is perfectly safe and the rest say it will kill all living animals within a 50 mile radius :)

I think it would be better left dry - wetting it will make a paste which will just stick/dry to the carpet fibres, might be messy! Just sprinkle it, rub it in to the pile (using a dry cloth?) leave it a bit then just vac it up.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2016 12:01pm (Feb 17th 2016) edited

Yeah, see it's gonna be OUTSIDE the cages, they will have no access to it...not even the dogs, they'll be crated.

My dad then emailed me this:

About putting it in the substrate of chickens / ducks. There was slight concern about the animals breathing it in every hour of every day, or possibly hurting their feet walking on it, but the general consensus was that it was 100% safe...as we're just using it on the carpet and it will be hoovered up before any animal walks on it, I think we'll give it a try!
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2016 10:17pm (Feb 21st 2016)

Have you tried it yet Red ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2016 9:29am (Feb 22nd 2016)

Yes I've used it a few times NN :) I've found it works better if you leave it scattered on the carpet for a long time, 6 hours or even overnight...then just vacuum it up and the smell is much improved! I did try it mixed with a little vinegar to scrub a few stains, but I scattered some baking soda on top (a site said it helps eat away at the dirt that way) and there's still small stains FROM THE BAKING SODA there!! :rolling:

So in future I would use baking soda mixed with vinegar for stains, but I wouldn't scatter baking soda powder on top!!

I left some baking soda on a rug yesterday for six hours that hasn't been used for ages so smelt musty, and it really made a difference. Also someone on my blog said you can soak something in white vinegar (eg. a rug) and leave it to air dry and that really helps with odour.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2016 1:18pm (Feb 22nd 2016)

Thanks for the info I will have to try it xx
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2016 5:54pm (Feb 22nd 2016)

I removed Indian ink from a wool carpet with a mixture of meths and Andrews Liver Salts (as recommended in a prehistoric book) and it worked like a charm. Old remedies are often the best - and more ecologically sound!
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 1:26pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

that's also a handy hint CC although I hate the smell of meths makes me feel real sick for some reason
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 5:36pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

Posted By: nanny north I hate the smell of meths makes me feel real sick for some reason

Perhaps you drank too much of it once... :rolling:
    It's not a tip you'd use much these days; you have to be a calligrapher left in charge of your mum and dad's house with new Wilton carpet, and disobedient kleptomanic labrador who believes everything to be edible...
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2016 7:18pm (Feb 23rd 2016)

Ha ha you are funny Bet you almost had a fit when you found it on the carpet