• CommentAuthormujum1973
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2016 7:34am (May 29th 2016)

Have 3 hens and 1 has been sleepy and lethargic the last few days. She hasn't been to the nest in 2 weeks as she laid all winter so don't think she's egg bound. I have massaged her area and can't feel anything. She had an empty crop so don't think it's sour crop. She has been taking a little food the last 2 days and I can feel it in her crop. She seems a little brighter today and took a little more food. I've been going down every hour and she takes a bit of food. Have been putting some water with it so she doesn't get dehydrated and my other 2 hens seem fine. Any ideas would be appreciated!
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2016 2:14pm (May 29th 2016)

She's not going broody, is she? Is she sitting in the nest box? I worried about mine the first time they did it - sitting on their own, wouldn't move - but turned out they were just broody. Perhaps Red or Neil will come along soon - they're the experts. Hope she's well soon.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2016 3:01pm (May 29th 2016) edited

Sorry to hear you have a poorly hen. Have a look on the ill hens thread and hopefully you'll find more good advice.

If your hen is eating and drinking that's the main thing, it at least gives you time to try and find what is wrong and how to fix it.

Is she looking depressed - tail droopy or feathers fluffed up and sleepy, lethargic? That's the common Ill hen symptoms and could be anything from egg bound to coccidiosis. You can try bathing her in warm water for twenty minutes, that will help if she has an egg stuck. Also giving calcium rich food or even crushed up Rennie's in some scrambled egg.

If she has runny or bloody poo them it might be coccidiosis which is a parasite that attacks the gut and intestines. You can get medicines for this (your other hens will likely catch it too if it is this) and there are natural remedies such as Herb'n'thrive with Oregano which can cure it quite quickly too.

If you are stuck then a visit to the vet may be necessary, it should cost about thirty pounds for a consultation. I wouldn't listen to someone who says "just get rid" at the first sign of problems, but you don't want the hen to suffer either.

Hens will hide any injury or illness until it's quite severe as otherwise the others would peck and ultimately kill it.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    • CommentAuthormujum1973
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2016 9:13am (May 30th 2016)

No runny or bloody poo, gave her warm bath and massaged her area yesterday, couldn't feel anything and her orifice was clean and clear.
    She ate a little more yesterday and told the other 2 off when they tried to pinch some. She couldn't get into the house last night and hasn't eaten this morning. No funny smell from mouth or any discharge from nose or eyes. The others aren't attacking her and even seem to be showing concern. Wondering if it's egg peritonitis? Thought she would have passed away on her own by now if it was.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2016 11:43pm (May 30th 2016)

Oh dear, she doesn't sound well. Can you find a sympathetic vet? I'm afraid I have nothing to offer in the way of suggestions as I don't have hens. Please let us know how she gets on.
    • CommentAuthormujum1973
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2016 7:35am (May 31st 2016)

So I have read lots more on the symptoms my hen has and have done all suggestions for egg bound though I was almost certain it wasn't that plus most say she Would've been dead within 48 hours. Egg yolk peritonitis still fits but again she should have died before now. Each time I decide to dispatch her to be kind she perks up but have decided it's best to end her suffering today. She been a very good layer and had a good life and was loved( as my hens were a wedding present,which is why I've been putting it off)
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2016 2:02pm (May 31st 2016)

That's so sad-is it not worth giving her another 24hrs, or does she really seem distressed? It's such a hard decision-I don't envy you.