• CommentTimeJun 6th, 2016 8:54am (Jun 6th 2016)

Nyx was doing mad zoomies last night and as she was running through the doorway (she didn't bang into anything) she just started SCREAMING.

We both rushed to her and tried to comfort her. After a minute she stopped shrieking but couldn't bear any weight on the leg. She limped and lay down, and went to sleep.

We called the emergency vet (it was about 10pm) and they said to bring her in tomorrow - if we took her in then they would just hold her until morning for an x-ray. It was the vet we like on call, which means she wouldn't be in the next day...

At 11pm we went to bed (on the floor) and Nyx limped over and cuddled up with us. At 3am she limped for a wee putting a little more weight on the leg, and at 8am this morning she limped for another wee putting no weight on the leg.

We have an appt with a vets in town, with a female vet and have asked them to treat her gently...no point going to our local surgery when we know most the other vets can't be trusted.

Please wish us luck...
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2016 4:07pm (Jun 6th 2016)

Bless her.:face-sad: Hope she's just twisted something and will soon be her usual zoomy self. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2016 7:48pm (Jun 6th 2016)

Thanks CC.

Wow, we've had a long, loooong day in the heat...but the good news: Nyx is home and she does NOT have a broken leg.

The first vet we saw was awful, and didn't treat Nyx gently when I asked her to. The vet suspected a fracture or shattered kneecap, so we had to leave Nyx for an x-ray...I asked if we could stay until she was sedated (because our vet does that) and she said no.

Agh, Lyle and our friend are back so I have to give up the computer - you can read about today on my blog though, and it's the best outcome we could have hoped for
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2016 8:28pm (Jun 6th 2016)

Anyway, I'm glad she's doing OK and that you have been able to give each other some love and cuddles, and made each other feel better. Big hug to Lyle for taking care of you (my hubby is really good at doing that when I've lost it too!)
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2016 3:20pm (Jun 7th 2016)

So glad the news is good but sorry you had to see crappy humans during the process. If they don't like the public why not work in a laboratory or something?? Lots of love to you all; chins up, everyone... :flowers:
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2016 8:37pm (Jun 7th 2016)

I'm sorry you had to see such a nightmare of a vet, Red. I'm glad to hear that Nyx will be alright. We had to have the vet here yesterday for one of my little horses, she cut her leg at the hoof badly, on something in the night. She has to stay on antibiotics for 10 days and I have to change the bandages every 3 days..little Sassy is not the easiest one to do anything for. It's always something when you have critters. *sigh*
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2016 10:32pm (Jun 7th 2016) edited

Posted By: KatebWow, what a horrible, stressful day you've had. You have some weird vets around by you. I'm so glad they were nice to you when you collected Nyx though, and they had been nice to her too! I don't think she needs to be the crate 24/7 - she will be far less stressed if she can sit with you on the sofa instead! It seems really weird that if there's nothing wrong with the pet you get help with the bills, but if there is you don't?! Unbelievable!!

Kate we didn't understand it either. If it hadn't have been for the second vet though, we would be extremely stressed about bills right now!! I don't understand if the 'pet must be healthy' is a policy, or if the first vet was just a massive arse :smile:

CC it wasn't even just that the first vet was rude to us, it was that she was horrible to Nyx too...she made the examination needlessly stressful because she didn't take into account the state Nyx was in (for example stepping up to Nyx and pointing to which bone she thought was broken, when she could have just described it, or pointed from afar) and she wasn't gentle at all either...and obviously we couldn't feed her treats due to the sedation, so there was NOTHING we could do to try make the experience nicer for Nyx...it was so horrible. We even took kitchen roll as Nyx loves to shred kitchen roll.

Yikes Lynn, sorry to hear about your horse. I imagine that must be a real nightmare. Do you have any idea how it happened?

~ * ~ * ~

Well, today was day one of crate rest, only forty-one days to go!!

It hasn't been too bad, surprisingly. I know the longer it goes on the worst it will get though ;)

Nyx has been in her crate for one hour total since being on 'crate rest' haha! We have kept her busy all day, and have put pen around our large (4x4ft) footstool so one of us will sit and keep her busy but as still as possible. She has had lots of treats from puzzle feeders, all her meals from puzzle feeders. I've hidden treats inside any stuffed toys that have holes in, brought out toys she hasn't seen for ages, and given her lots of new 'toys'...empty plastic bottles, junk mail to shred, folded toilet roll tubes with doggy popcorn inside etc etc.

We've taken her for two 'walks' in our arms; the first through town and into the pet shop, the second we sat on a bench and watched some kids mess about with a football whilst Nyx had a stick to chew...she weighs 9kg as of right now, and she feels like a bag of rocks in this heat!! We've done some still training...teaching her eye contact on cue, working on touch, leave it and paw.

At one point she slept for FOUR HOURS (that was after sleeping all through the night), the second time she fell asleep we left her in her crate as we walked Kasper off lead (it's important she still learns to be left alone, even if it is harder to tire her!) and she had another nap later in the day of about an hour.

So that was day one...41 left, yay -__-

I have a few tricks up my sleeve...I thought we could soak a towel or a rope toy, in water or meat-flavoured water / broth, and freeze it. Not only will that keep her busy, but it'll be good for stress relief (chewing is a stress relieving behaviour in dogs) and it'll be good as she's teething too!

Lots of plastic bottles to chew...normally I'd put treats in them, but Nyx has a tendency to throw them around, so not happening! Leaflets to tear, socks stuffed with paper to chew and shred, folded tubes with treats in...

The longer this goes on, I imagine the harder it will get. Trying to take it one hour at a time. Tomorrow Nyx has her check up appt at the vets with a nurse, hopefully it will go well and she won't be scared of the surgery.
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2016 7:22pm (Jun 8th 2016)

Is she still not weight bearing? Sometimes these things can suddenly self-resolve, but I doubt you'll be that lucky!

Poor Sassy! Hope she's better soon and behaves for you Lynn!
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2016 7:47pm (Jun 8th 2016)

Sassy is always pawing at the fence gate, so Don thinks she got her foot caught in it. The Vet said he thinks she will be alright, if the wound doesn't get infected, except that there will be a bulge above her hoof..that ends any hopes of ever showing her and drops her value down to nearly nothing, if I have to sell my little horses.
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2016 10:08pm (Jun 8th 2016) edited

Ouch, I hope she heals okay with no infection Lynn.

Kate she is weight bearing now. Outside when toileting she puts quite a bit of weight on her leg, indoors just a little, but she no longer limps with the foot held off the ground at all.

Day 2 has been better than day 1, I think because we're getting into the swing of it :bigsmile:

There have been moments where Nyx has been extremely frustrated, which have been tough to deal with, and we had a check-up at the vet which I got extremely stressed about (turned out to be a pointless appt too!)...but today has been better.

I was immensely frustrated (furious in fact) in the night as Nyx woke me up at 2.30am - I am NOT good at being woken!! - and then wouldn't settle. The day before already had us exhausted, and I desperately needed sleep. After toileting her we ended up attaching a lead to the TV stand that Anton's cage is on, so Nyx was restricted to a small crate-szied area, and she settled down and slept the rest of the night.

We are having to keep her occupied every second that she is awake, doing anything that we can...if we don't, she is VERY vocal and will just continuously try to run and walk about. We're constantly thinking of things we can give her to mentally tire her, such as paper bags and kitchen roll to shred. We carry her for 'walks' twice a day...I actually ordered a baby sling to try help us carry her, as she feels so heavy and it's so warm :rolling:

As ever I am blogging about this, and I'm actually trying to do an hour-by-hour blog every day of crate rest, to let other owners know things that have worked for us, what to expect, and that crate rest doesn't mean a dog is just left in the crate 24/7. Although there are lots of sites with 'crate games' on the internet, there's very little written about other people's experiences, or how they coped.

Feel free to read along and laugh at our struggles ;)

photo day2craterest2_zpskk2zgg0d.jpg

photo day2craterest10_zpsvejpoqde.jpg

photo day2craterest9_zpshtcx0y4l.jpg

photo day2craterest8_zpsaeih0e4y.jpg

photo day2craterest7_zpsxdycn1vg.jpg

photo day2craterest4_zpskcqpw69d.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2016 4:39pm (Jun 9th 2016)

Oh Nooo so sorry to hear all the troubles lets hope I can break the hard luck duck with posting the third thing.... G/N had sprained his wrist and broken a finger Saturday afternoon. Hejust got back from fracture clinic and the have made him a splint. Most of the swelling and blackness has gone now. He still got a bit of pain though and gets frustrated as it is difficult to cut food and such.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2016 8:13pm (Jun 9th 2016) edited

NN, GN has to have 6 weeks crate rest too right?! :rolling: Serious though, ouch! What do they do for a broken finger? How long until he can use that side again?!

Day 3 of crate rest, WE ARE EXHAUSTED!!

We've been giving Nyx all sorts to try stimulate her and keep her happy, but she is bored with everything right now haha...she's had a coconut to play, chew and strip the hair off, a croc to chew...she's finding it hard to have fun at the moment, and when she does have fun she has so much pent-up energy that she often gets too excited.

photo coconut_zpsantcgrhp.jpg

photo coconut1_zpsdxbk8blj.jpg

Aaaand, the PUPoose arrived :rolling: :rofl: :rolling:

photo pupoose1_zpsr6dsligp.jpg

It looks hilarious, but omb does Nyx look cute in it!! And best of all, IT WORKS! Previously I could only carry Nyx for a minute at a time before my arms burned, this evening I carried her in the sling for 30 minutes

photo pupoose_zpsqz5nfwud.jpg

She needs to not grow for the next 6 weeks though, so we can continue to use it :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2016 9:26pm (Jun 9th 2016)

I hadn't realised her face was so dark - she has a very interesting and appealing face, and looks so sweet in that papoose!!

I dislocated my knuckle on my ring finger once and they 'buddy strapped' it to the middle finger next door so that I couldn't use it to help it heal. I assume they do something similar for a broken one do they NN?

I think we're all a bunch of crocks - I have a bad neck either because I've slept oddly or I've cricked it so can't look to the right. I have also just been sat with my legs curled and feet up on the sofa, and where my inner ankle bones touched I've hurt it the same as I did about a month ago. I have a vein that runs across the bone on the right inner ankle and I've injured/popped it just by them bumping together and it stings like hell - pathetic I know! I had a bruise that lasted a couple of weeks last time - can't believe I've done it again but assuming there must be a weakness in it now. I wouldn't mind a couple of days cage rest if it meant someone else had to do all the work for a change!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2016 6:26pm (Jun 10th 2016)

What on earth did you do to GN, NN??
    Red, the pupoose is fabulous. Do you think Kate, Nyx and GN could all be at your house on crate rest? You could run a nursery...
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2016 7:30pm (Jun 10th 2016)

I have a sling like that I use for Chloe, in pink, she loves it. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2016 11:05pm (Jun 10th 2016)

Omb CC I don't think I can cope with anybody else ill to look after, I've been running around like a headless chicken since Nyx got injured...thank god I have Lyle to help with everything!

Lynn I bet your Chloe is a LOT easier to cart around in it than Nyx, hoo boy my back is *killing* tonight!
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2016 11:11pm (Jun 10th 2016) edited

Speaking of Lyle :heartsabove: :heartsabove: :heartsabove:

photo pupoose_zps5ca4i2js.jpg

He wasn't ashamed or embarrassed to go out with his girl in a sling at all today, I love this guy so much :heart:

photo pupoose2_zpsg3g28ffw.jpg

An old woman threw us such a dirty luck when we were carrying Nyx through town and shook her head at us - um, why?? What could she have been thinking?! "Disgusting that they're treating their dog like a baby..." - even if that was why Nyx was in a sling and her leg wasn't injured, mind your own business, we're not hurting anyone!

Another ingenious idea today: dog chew shoe!!!

photo crocfun2_zpshfz2ys53.jpg

Nyx really liked this, even if it did only keep her busy for 15 minutes. She loved getting the treats out, far more than actually eating them :P

photo crocfun1_zpspdc9frod.jpg

photo crocfun_zpsqvk0g6x4.jpg

I forgot to post this from one of her 'walks' the other day too - THOSE EARS!! :heartsabove:

photo craterestday3b_zpsclplnvnf.jpg

Day 4, Nyx has been VERY hard work...whining, stropping, trying to bounce about pretty much all day. We're getting better at dealing with her, nipping strops in the bud, and ignoring them or telling her to shush...but MAN it's tiring.

The best news ever though is that today Lyle said when he toilets Nyx out back he cannot tell she's limping at all!! She holds a normal amount of weight on the leg, which means it has to be healing...gotta say I haven't seen her limp in the house for a while, not that she walks much
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2016 11:18pm (Jun 10th 2016) edited

Posted By: KatebIt's a viscious circle - she's bored so gets lots of pent up energy she can't release which increases her boredom. Can you do some low level training with her? (I haven't read the blog yet so I'll probably find you've mentioned it already!)

Agh I missed this Kate! I've got a reeeaaally sore back at the moment, from carrying stupid bag o' rocks puppy :P It's really sore, even when I just sit still every now and then it has me yelping. Can't have Lyle looking after Nyx, the boys, the other pets, and me though :tooth:

We've been doing some training with her - watch me, paw, touch, leave it, and nail work. And we play some rough games of tug and wrestling so long as she's on her back or at least lying down. She's been immensely bored today, I've been flapping toys all around her face and she ignores them :rolling:

She does have a dark face, I think it's gotten dark her in the time she's been here - one of the reasons we really wanted her to fit into our family was because she reminded us of our favourite rescue dog of all time, and if her face keeps darkening she'll look even more like her!

Here's Nyx:

photo day2craterest4_zpskcqpw69d.jpg

And Gypsy:

photo gypsy1_zps6nzg8qdy.jpg

photo gypsy_zpsesijkp7a.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2016 4:45pm (Jun 11th 2016) edited

Had the adventure from hell today...planned to get a 10 minute train journey, walk to the awesome pet shop and collect two piggles, then get a train home, all with Nyx...all went disastrously wrong thanks to people who have no understanding of dogs and stupid national rail!!!

First as we sat down the man that sat in the seat in front of us was horrific with dogs, and wouldn't leave Nyx alone...at first it wasn't so bad because Nyx was happily saying hello, but then she was done (she is not a people person, she loves her family but isn't interested in strangers) and the man kept sticking his face between the seats, reaching for her, holding her head in both his hands etc. She was giving off very clear signals that she didn't want this, and that she was uncomfortable, and this guy was just blind to it *sigh*

Thankfully he got off at the first stop, but that still sucked - things like that are really damaging for puppies, especially a fearful pup like Nyx :( Soon after the man sitting across the aisle from us said hello, and although he wasn't great, it went MUCH better than the first guy. Then the signal broke, meaning the train was stuck for 15 minutes, which was actually longer than the entire journey should have been, so that was fun >__<

We got off and walked along the station whilst the train was broke, and Nyx did a wee. Then got back on at the closest carriage and there were several noisy kids - wonderful!

Finally got there and carried Nyx to the shop (we were incredibly stressed at this point, and running late for train back!), and I asked the staff member not to greet Nyx as we'd just had the trip from hell :P

We wandered around for a bit, then stood by the till chatting about Nyx, and the staff member got some really high value, soft dog treats and walked up to us. She was great; she ignored Nyx, talked to us in a happy voice, and fed Nyx these treats without looking at her (she checked with us it was okay to do this, too). Nyx ate the treats then greeted her happily, so that was all awesome

Lyle headed back to the station as I cuddled and boxed up the piggles, then we rushed back to the station and lay a blanket out so Nyx could enjoy a chew and play with some toys. The train was announced as pulling into the platform, so we packed up...and several minutes later, they announced the train was 20 minutes late!! Wth?!

We got the blanket and toys back out, gave Nyx more chews, but by this time she was REALLY full bless her and had no interest in food. We mooched about the platform with her, but after about 10 minutes she got zoomy, so we held her still on our laps. Finally the train arrived....it was HEAVING!!
    Like, you couldn't get in the doors it was so full :( I turned in the doorway saying "yeah we can't bring her on here it's not fair, we'll have to wait for the next one..." when someone said there were seats available to the left. We forged our way through, and sure enough there were seven seats, all in singles because people didn't want to sit next to each other - uuuugh!

We sat across the aisle from each other, facing each other, and played with Nyx. We'd saved a bone for the way back, but she was too full for it. A few minutes into the journey some angel offered her seat, so we could sit side-by-side, and we swapped and Nyx was MUCH happier. She slept the rest of the way home :smile:

We were sat at a 4 seater with a table between us and an older man who was acting very odd, but Nyx didn't mind at all because the older man wasn't trying to interact with her. This is what I wish people would understand:

Nyx doesn’t have much interest in saying hello to people, and in most circumstances she DOES NOT ENJOY you fussing her or forcing yourself on her. You are not helping her, she is not having fun, you are making her uncomfortable and potentially ruining her socialisation. You need to read the signs she is giving off, they are SO obvious.

Don't force yourself on her, don't flood her. Leave her be. Learn to recognise scared or stressed dogs, or leave them alone. You are asking to be bitten, which I don't really care about, but worse you are scaring MY dog.

If I wasn't always so busy trying to keep Nyx as happy as possible, I would ask every person that so much as looked at her not to get any closer :sarcastic:
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2016 5:15pm (Jun 11th 2016)

It's a shame you can't get a 'puppy in training' vest - people might be a bit more respectful then. I love to greet a dog because I don't have one, but will always check first and give it the option to move away from me/look away to tell me to go away! It would serve him right to be bitten, but it's Nyx that would suffer - they never look at why the person was bitten, just assume it's a dangerous dog.

Her face is quite like Gypsy's! It's good to hear her leg is improving and I'm sure some very gentle exercise won't hurt. Hopefully she'll be released from captivity soon!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2016 9:52pm (Jun 11th 2016) edited

Nyx pics...think she has *finally* settled for the night.

She has barely slept today - we really thought she would sleep for hours after this exhausting day; she woke up after ONE hour!!

She got really, really hyper, and then I remembered someone on the blog commented saying they found relaxation music for dogs to be magical. We thought we'd try it, and OMB! Nyx went from stropping in her crate (which she'd been doing for 20 minutes), to sleeping and chewing her buffalo horn (in less than two minutes) and then a minute after that she was asleep :bigsmile:

And she slept for over an hour! *happy sigh*

photo musicworks_zps7sdphhdh.jpg

Oh, her big teddy was a hit too ;)

photo teddylove6_zpssxhibjoc.jpg

photo teddylove2_zps5xoaw607.jpg
    Can you believe such a sweet-looking pup is such a little booger...? :)

photo teddylove3_zpswpozlsxe.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2016 2:19pm (Jun 12th 2016)

Her eyes when she saw the teddy! :heart:
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2016 7:03pm (Jun 12th 2016)

I love that relaxation music works on dogs!! Will have to try it on the grandkids!!