• CommentTimeJan 26th, 2017 4:57pm (Jan 26th 2017)

Those without chickens probably will be saying to yourselves "not very much" - but does it worry you?

I think we're going to be featured in the Telegraph and Argus over the next day or so as they are writing an article on the latest avian flu restrictions and obviously immediately thought of me (!!!) to ask how it affects hen keepers.

They were also interested in how it affects the hencam viewers, but other than possibly improving the site for them (as the hens stay in front of the cameras longer!) - has it had any other affect on you guys? I'd be interested in your views, whether you own hens or not...
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2017 6:12pm (Jan 26th 2017)

It seems to vary a lot as I talk to other hen keepers; my routine hasn't varied much but some people are completely paranoid and aren't letting their hens see daylight.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2017 7:15pm (Jan 26th 2017)

I didn't realise there was an issue - talk about non-hen keeping cat loving ignorants!

I saw an item on the news a few weeks ago but thought it was an isolated case. Is it wild birds that people are afraid of? Are they carriers? I hope everyone's hens are safe. Is there any official advice about how to protect them you could put on the main page for anyone searching for help?
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2017 1:44pm (Feb 3rd 2017)

Wild birds (I think mainly geese and ducks) are said to be the main carriers - they either spread it by dropping presents on the ground or mixing/sharing food with backyard hens I guess, but from what I've read elsewhere it's any wild bird can realistically be a carrier.

There's some pillock talking about it here :)

It's not been on the news that much as it only affects birds - it can't make the jump to humans.

There's been cases in Lancashire and Settle, so within 30 miles of us, worryingly.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2017 6:41pm (Feb 3rd 2017)

That pillock talks a lot of sense.

Gosh, I've had an Internet Sensation in my house!!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2017 6:58pm (Feb 3rd 2017)

How much for an autograph!
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th, 2017 6:56am (Feb 11th 2017)

I'm rather fond of our Pillock.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2017 11:53am (Feb 17th 2017)

That's it, you all get signed photographs instead of Christmas cards this year!

(actually I was really crap and didn't send any out last year - apologies!)

Been a busy few months...