• CommentTimeMar 26th, 2017 8:14pm (Mar 26th 2017)

Hi all!

Today is 'Purple Day', which is a day dedicated to spreading awareness and understanding of epilepsy and seizure disorders...so I thought what better a day than to pop in and post a life update!

Firstly thank you for the kind responses to the thread Lyle started / posted in about Sasha and her training, very much appreciated and he passed them all along to me :)

Some infographics about seizures, in honour of Purple Day!

And this is so damn fitting with the sun these past few days *sigh*

Well, Sasha is just about 8 months old now and is doing fantastically...she has come such a long way to the fearful puppy she once was!! We're getting ready to start official public access with her (ie. to non-pet friendly places) and have tried SO HARD to keep up with ongoing socialisation and training alongside everything life has thrown at us.

She knows 20+ cues now, alerts to seizures, interrupts and alerts to panic / rising anxiety, responds to a seizure alert by lying in front of me (so I can flop onto her) and her basic obedience is coming on wonderfully :smile:

A few photos and videos (sorry if you've seen these on my blog)

In a pet shop ignoring distractions

Heeling through town

With her youngest big brother (I don't know if you met Charley, he's a BC x Australian Cattle Dog x Lab that we adopted as we missed having four dogs!)

Working on interrupting me when I accidentally dislocate my fingers

Heeling through a supermarket car park

Team photo!

• CommentTimeMar 26th, 2017 8:15pm (Mar 26th 2017) edited

Charley

And we've had horrible luck with Toller, who 3 weeks ago was run into off lead by a gigantic Lab and broke every connecting bone in one paw. The vets were pushing a surgery to rewire her bones, but my research said it was a terrible idea due to it being invasive, with a low risk of success and a high chance of multiple further surgeries needed.

(photo the day it happened, see the swelling?)

I found amputation would be a much kinder choice; the recovery time was much faster and Tolly would be able to walk once healed. The vets were saying even with rewiring she would be lame. However a week later we then saw a third vet who actively told us not to do the rewiring surgery, and to wait and see how Toller healed on crate rest, because she saw no reason why Tolly wouldn't heal and be able to walk, and if needed we could amputate later.

So Tolly is three weeks into 6-8 weeks crate rest, and healing MUCH faster than everybody expected!! Two days before this video btw, where she's barely limping, the vets were phoning us daily to try force us to do the rewiring surgery!!

Toll's doing really great on crate rest, she's obviously miserable but coping far better than any other dog would. God love her she's a little star.

I've had awful luck with medical professionals who completely ignored NICE guidelines for someone who has started having seizures, and where they should be seen within 2 weeks I am on a 9-12 month long wait to see a neurologist, with zero medical support in between.

We're managing generally very well though. We've found ways to deal with seizure stuff, and most days I have 15-20 but we muddle through. I have a walking stick for when I leave the house, as some seizures leave me 'drunk'...I managed to take a small chunk outta my head the other day when Lyle had to leave haha, I don't remember it at all!!

• CommentTimeMar 26th, 2017 8:15pm (Mar 26th 2017)

And Kasper celebrated his 6th Gotcha Day with us yesterday! He only had a nice walk and some homemade treats as we had absolutely no money, then we finally found out our benefits would restart next week, and so I bought a toy from amazon prime that had next day delivery so he'd at least have something...it didn't arrive yesterday and nor did it arrive today hahaha!!!

Photos from Boo-boy's Gotcha :smile:

Hope everybody here is well. Sorry for the millions of photos and such...hey it's what I always did anyway right haha!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2017 11:49pm (Mar 26th 2017)

Love the pic of Sasha and you where you've got a hat to match her!! She makes Kasper look small (6 years?! Really! Doesn't time fly!!)
    Glad Toller is healing well - it's very hard to make decisions about what to do, especially when being pressured by the vet, so I'm glad the 3rd one was supportive. Sometimes the conservative route is the best choice.
    Have you considered complaining about your GP not following guidance? Lyle could do it on your behalf. Contact your local CCG and they can tell you how. Very pleased that Sasha is alerting so successfully. xx
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2017 3:36pm (Mar 27th 2017)

How lovely to hear from you and to catch up with all your news. As ever your dogs are a credit to you and your patience and talent - write a manual, girl!
    And as you know, every day is Purple Day in this house!
    Lots of love, so happy to speak to you again at last! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2017 8:00pm (Mar 29th 2017)

Thank you for sharing you pups with us, Red. They are all doing so well.:face-smile: