• CommentTimeAug 6th, 2017 7:31pm (Aug 6th 2017)

After years of wishful thinking, and planning, it finally happened...we have chickens :bigsmile:

And in honour of my first chickens as an independent adult, I had to come post on hencam, right? Haha!

These two are from the same place hencam's 'Pilkie' is from. We had the choice of Seramas, Silkies, Pekins, Black Barbus / Belgian Bantams and Thuringians. We went intending to get two Seramas, or possible a Serama and a Pekin...and we came back with a Thuringian and a Belgian Bantam :rolling:

They are still young (their voices are breaking!) so no expected eggs for a while. They are super super sweet and I've already had cuddles and cried over them haha! The black girl is Bea and the white Piper :heart:

They're wonderfully confident around humans already, and readily step on my hands, walk on me - Bea even climbed all the way up my arm and sat on my shoulder, just like baby Milly used to!!!

I can't pick a favourite, because they're both so cute and friendly!!

• CommentTimeAug 6th, 2017 10:34pm (Aug 6th 2017)

Im so pleased for you - it's been a long wait! They look so small-are you keeping them as indoor or will they go out when they're bigger?
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2017 9:34am (Aug 7th 2017)

I've enjoyed things I haven't been able to do in so long, and it's heart breaking but awesome at the same time...started my day today with Piper sat on my lap enjoying me grooming her neck feathers, just like Milly used to!! Piper seems to be becoming 'my girl', in the same way Milly did - bottom of the pecking order, I'm her safety net! They're indoor chucks - they're pretty much full grown now, Piper wont get any bigger, Bea might grow a little :bigsmile:

• CommentTimeAug 7th, 2017 5:20pm (Aug 7th 2017)

Aren't they gorgeous, Red? Will you let them out in the garden now and then? They're all beautiful - I bet you had a job picking them out!
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2017 5:22pm (Aug 7th 2017)

So very happy for you, Red..they are both beautiful little girls, Piper is awesome! I'm just so pleased that you finally have girls of your own again.:thumbup::cheerleader::woohoo:
    • CommentTimeAug 8th, 2017 9:08pm (Aug 8th 2017)

They're flipping adorable CC!! Haven't had a day with them where I haven't cried whilst cuddling them yet, because it's so overwhelming and a dream come true!! We might go out to sunbathe occasionally, but that's all...not much point going out when it's just concrete out there!! It was really hard picking them out haha, up until the last minute we were going for Pekins, and then we suddenly switched to a Thuringian and a Black Barbu, and I'm so glad we did!!!

Thanks Lynn!! I'm on a total high with my girls and Lyle (who has never had chickens before) is absolutely flabbergasted at what good pets they are!! He honestly can't believe it :bigsmile:

The girls have fully settled in now, and are the happiest chucks ever!!! They love rushing over to me after exploring, and melting beside me. Piper often buries under me arm and stretches her neck across it, like chicks do with their mum's wings, and Bea is hilarious - she lies down about a foot away and then crawls along until her chest is touching me!!! :rolling:

Honestly could not be happier right now, I am just over the moon :)

(most my photos of Bea are still on my phone which Lyle is currently talking on, so forgive the Piper-ness!!)

• CommentTimeAug 9th, 2017 4:50pm (Aug 9th 2017)

Has Neil been for a cuddle yet?
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2017 10:25am (Aug 10th 2017) edited

They haven't been up for a few months, I keep trying (especially now that because of my polarized ski goggles I can actually go into shops and DO stuff without seizures - I haven't been able to do for 18 months, so it's HUGE!!) but so far not yet.

I swear mine are the only chucks that don't go crazy over food...they didn't like lettuce or cake?!?!?!?
    :gasp:
      nonfoodiechickens.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2017 2:47pm (Aug 11th 2017)

Chicken food fads are a mystery, Red. Someone told me theirs go mad for courgettes (bleurgh) so I cut a huge one in half and put it down outside. They have stood on it so far, and asked me if there's anything decent to eat, like a grape or an egg...
    Your chooks are so pretty, Red. How old are they? Not laying yet?
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2017 9:59am (Aug 12th 2017) edited

Whenever we're eating, they run over and eyeball our food, acting as if they'll die if they don't have a bite. We offer it to them, they glare at it suspiciously, give it one peck, then turn their beaks away :rolling: They're not even a huge fan of dried mealworms! I'm starting to think they're not really chickens :rolling:

Having said that they love live mealworms, darkling beetles (what mealworms turn into) and baby Dubia roaches (which we're breeding). Piper also had an adult Dubia (about 1.5 inches) and LOVED it, whereas Bea was scared and watched it making the "is this safe? Is this okay??" noise!

They're about 14-16 weeks old, at a guess CC. Bea might be a bit older as her voice has just broken (she was honky when we got her though!!), whereas Piper's still on the cheeping-chick end :smile:

Woke up feeling like crap this morning and had a seizure...s'okay though, Nurse Piper was on hand to keep an eye on me :rolling:
      nursepiper.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2017 10:03am (Aug 12th 2017) edited

I've been worrying that Bea's a boy because of that long tail feather :tooth: Don't think she is though. Although her comb's redder than Piper's, I think she's a bit older and, for her age, it's teeny! She'd also probably be trying to crow by now, but I like to worry haha...if she did end up being a roo I'd be so sad having to swap her for someone else!!!

Last pic shows how they sleep too!!! :heartsabove: We collected some branches from the forest a few days back and they're a huge succes :D
      nursepiper4.jpg
      nursepiper6.jpg
      nursepiper5.jpg
      nursepiper1.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2017 2:44pm (Aug 12th 2017)

Nursie Piper should be given a little frilly cap and an apron with a cross on the front... :face-smile: Isn't she sweet? I hope she helped you feel a little better. :heart: I wouldn't think Bea is a boy...did the people you got her from know their chicks? Was it where the Hencam girlies came from?
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2017 9:31am (Aug 13th 2017)

Yeah, they breed a lot of chickens and it's where Mrs P came from, so hopefully they got her right!!

My parents surprised us by asking if we wanted them to come up yesterday! It was bad timing because I woke feeling awful, but we said yes and I swallowed a load of pain pills and meds to help me sleep, so when they arrived I felt somewhat human :smile:

We had a great day though! We went to a museum, walked around a deer park, ate out (my first time in forever!) and they came to see the chucks afterwards. I had a few more seizures than normal, thanks to being ill on top of a busy day, but the bits that were good more than made up for it!

I did have my first ever seizure at a museum - came to on the floor of the archaeology room with my parents coming over confused :rolling:

We did a mannequin challenge, which SOMEONE failed at miserably XD

And I loved when they came back to ours' afterwards! Not only did they *love* the girls, but they fell in love with all my mice that I've bred too!!! It was my mum's first time holding a mouse; neither of them could get over how sweet they were, and they thought the satin mice were amazing :bigsmile:

Anyway - chucks!

• CommentTimeAug 13th, 2017 1:23pm (Aug 13th 2017)

I'm so glad you had a fab day despite feeling crap, Red; you're so strong in the way you won't let this embuggerance beat you. I knew they'd love the girls...and the meeces. Did you check their bags/pockets before they left for contraband beasties? And Lyle - yes, sorry mate; mannequin you ain't! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2017 11:18pm (7 days ago)

Haha thank you - and I love the term embuggerance!! :rolling: My dad did say "right we'll be off then!" and start heading towards and opening the door with Piper in his arms :rofl:

So I have to post this video. It's cuteness in the extreme!! Bea is the nervier chuck, but once she's in your arms she immediately falls asleep and cuddles...it's pretty damn adorable :rolling:

• CommentTimeAug 15th, 2017 3:44pm (6 days ago)

Ahhh! How long were you pinned to your chair afraid to move in case you disturbed her? :D 'Embuggerance' is how Sir Terry Pratchett (one of my heroes) referred to his Alzheimers and I always thought it a splendid term...
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2017 6:29pm (1 day ago) edited

I've learnt to just move now CC...they're on me so often I'd never move hahaha!!

Today the girls tried kale, lettuce, tomato and dandelion leaves. Most were snubbed, other than the obligatory peck. They liked tomato seeds and ate some bread today though (previously that was snubbed too!!).

Piper has also started telling our cats off, which is just hilarious to watch ;)

Ugh why is there no easy way to upload photos onto hencam anymore?! I'll upload them to a blog and copy them from there later I guess :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeAug 20th, 2017 8:05pm (1 day ago)

How are the cats Red? They must be quite laid back with the range of animals they live with!
    • CommentTimeAug 21st, 2017 3:59pm (14 hours ago)

Laid back? Resigned with a touch of freaked out would be my guess...