Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 6:50am (Mar 6th 2008) edited

Hi Red, :D

Here's your Hen Cam post-it note! Each time it bounces, its time to turn those eggs again. :shocked:

Turning times: 8:00am, 3:00pm, 10:00pm (Hencam time)
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 6:50am (Mar 6th 2008) edited

This is the one thread where there should be no other discussion people! Just bounce it at the appropriate time for Red to rush over and turn the eggs. :P

So - if you DO want to chatter about something related to this, use "We're Eggspecting" and we'll look for it there!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 7:18am (Mar 6th 2008)

Yes, Red..turn the eggs now!!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:10am (Mar 6th 2008)

Eggs turned and temp checked - cheers guys, Diane you're a star what a cool idea :D
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:57pm (Mar 6th 2008) edited

One more hour(approx) Red. :P
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 10:56pm (Mar 6th 2008)

Eggs turned, temp checked, and humidity upped...all good, :thumbup:

Next one: 8:00am-ish
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 5:41am (Mar 7th 2008)

Ok, I'm about 3 hours early - but I have to go to bed. Anyway, it WILL be time when you get up and read this so : time to turn :P
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:50am (Mar 7th 2008)

It's almost 8:00am, Red...Turn those eggs girl. :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 8:15am (Mar 7th 2008)

Thankyou :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 3:29pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Turned again... :wink:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 6:30pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Did you turn 'em at 3 pm? None of us were around to remind you :P
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 6:44pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Nag, nag nag...:) Say it, Red, 'You're not my REAL mother!!'
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:13pm (Mar 7th 2008)

:D

Yes, Diane, that was the 3pm turn...only before-bedtime turn left.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 10:50pm (Mar 7th 2008)

*yawns* Eggs turned, bed time for me now. Goodnight all...
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 7:43am (Mar 8th 2008)

Red, it's time to wake up and TURN THOSE EGGS
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 8:46am (Mar 8th 2008)

Thanks Lynn *big hugs*

Just warning everyone, eggs aren't gonna be turned until sometime around 7:00pm tonight, so don't panic if you don't hear from me at half three :P
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 1:02pm (Mar 8th 2008)

Did I miss the 8 am turning? :P
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 5:12pm (Mar 8th 2008)

Only just Diane :smile:

Got back earlier than we expected so just turned eggs - next turn will probably be at about midnight so give me a shout i am so tired... *yaaaaawn*
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 5:16pm (Mar 8th 2008)

Its a bit like having a baby, except they don't scream at you when you forget them!! :D
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 5:19pm (Mar 8th 2008) edited

Wish they did, it'd be much harder to forget turning them then :D
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2008 11:22pm (Mar 8th 2008)

It was a close thing with the eggs tonight - I'd gone up to read and i'd asked my dad to turn the eggs before he came up or at least remind me to when he went to bed. He fell asleep on the couch, stumbled up to bed half asleep and we both completely forgot about the eggs...I only remembered because i was reading a book with chickens in it :o

Tomorrow i need to CHECK THE HUMIDITY and add more water :surfing: ...there at least i can't forget that now!
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 7:30am (Mar 9th 2008)

Red, Rise and Shine, Girl. 30 more minutes and it's time to turn those eggs.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 3:32pm (Mar 9th 2008)

Is there a 3pm turn today? If you haven't done it you're 30 mins late!!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 7:01pm (Mar 9th 2008)

Can't you put the cooker timer on for however many hours' time after you've turned them?
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 7:12pm (Mar 9th 2008) edited

Um...there was a 3pm-type-turn today, but it happened at about 1pm. I was trying to show my nana how to turn the eggs because she has to do it tomorrow - we're down in Wales for a university open day, which is good as they have given out flood and storm warnings by the coast, particularly bad in Wales :-\

So my nana is turning the eggs tomorrow :P There'll be a post in the morning, but don't expect a post in the afternoon as my nana has never been on the forum, then a post in the evening. Tonight the humidity has been checked, but the 10:30ish turn hasn't happened yet.
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 8:03pm (Mar 9th 2008)

So what about using the cooker timer to remind her?
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2008 10:45pm (Mar 9th 2008) edited

Oh it's not her forgetting that i'm worried about, it's actually turning the eggs...i showed her how to do it today and let her have a go, and she did fine! To turn the eggs you have to actually tilt the bator from one 45degree angle to the other. It's pretty easy, you just have to hold the lid on while you turn it, but the first few times you do it it's easy to mess up.

My little cousin's coming over with her, so i'm sure they can manage together. I'm just worrying unnecessarily :P

Oh forgot - eggs turned!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 1:38am (Mar 10th 2008)

Our time has changed here now - so I'm really confused about what time it is there. Looking at the time of your last post...I think we have a 6, rather than 7, hour time diff? So its 12:45 there? Sorry - no egg turning pending then.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 1:44am (Mar 10th 2008)

CC its sounding like you don't like this thread so much :) Can't figure out if it reminds you of your mama in some unfavorable way or if its obvious impracticality it annoying you. Or...? Anyway, you know I would never want to be a source of annoyance to you. :P

My intention was to help Red out, as she was asking for that AND to give us a way to participate in the egg turnings.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 6:50am (Mar 10th 2008)

Time for at turn in about an hour! (Or two. I'm so confused with the time change here...)
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 6:52am (Mar 10th 2008)

:shamed:approx 2 hours 7 minutes
    Possibly
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 6:55am (Mar 10th 2008)

Its almost 7 there - the eggs get turned at 8.
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:00am (Mar 10th 2008)

oh woops must be 11 hours behind
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:04am (Mar 10th 2008)

There's a UK time stamp on each post you make... (Follows your name in gray lettering.)
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:06am (Mar 10th 2008)

ok so 55 minutes,
    oh and ill stop making other discussion now
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:57am (Mar 10th 2008)

Thanks, you reminded my dad to turn the eggs today, i was upstairs getting dressed :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 5:55pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Nanny :) Two more hours until egg turning. Careful now.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 6:50pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Did the eggs survive nana?!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:04pm (Mar 10th 2008)

The eggs survived!! :cheer: I phoned her up just now to say thanks and she said there were no problems or anything. Temp is fine, so everything is good :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:08pm (Mar 10th 2008)

How many eggs are there?
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:10pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Thirteen, but i don't expect there'll be a very good hatch rate...the incubator doesn't even have anything to measure the humidity with, so i'm paranoid it's not right. I wish Milly would go broody :-\
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:15pm (Mar 10th 2008)

But think how proud you'll be even if you only get one. You'll be its mommy!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:25pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Diane, I keep my nose out of this because I am so dreadful at doing anything regularly; working for myself for 25 years has left me with a 'thing' about routine. Taking my ma to the hairdresser/shopping/lunch EVERY Thursday at EXACTLY the same time, week in, week out is KILLING me! :\ :)
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:54pm (Mar 10th 2008)

CC, I have to take my mom out to do her shopping at the same time, 2:00pm every Thursday too, I've always hated Thursdays too. I wish she would have picked some other day of the week. Nearly everything horrible, has happened to me on a Thursday.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 7:56pm (Mar 10th 2008)

I'll send you sympathetic vibes on Thursdays, then. At different times!!! God, I hate routine... :(
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:10pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Think about us poor so and so's stuck in the daily 9 to 5!! And I have to take eldest training on Mon, Thurs and Fri. AAARrrrgghh! It was worse as a kid - my mom did the same thing for tea each day of the week. Monday was a fry up, Tues pie and mash, Wed was the worst - belly draft. YUK YUK YUK YUKKY YUK!! :fierce:
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:18pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Belly draft? Wot's that? Pork belly?
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:26pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Yes I think so. Tiny bit of meat and lots of fat. Makes me feel queasy just to think of it.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:30pm (Mar 10th 2008)

My Gran insisted Mum write to her every week. When Mum moved from my area she pronounced she would write to me 'when there was something to write about'. Letters were quite frequent though, sometimes more than one a week.

I hate routine, though find I have to slide into it for a lot of stuff or I forget (taking tablets and all that) I shop when the larder is getting low never mind what day it is.
    Have routines around grand daughter, school run and extra curicular activities but for myself it is all free and easy - some days I revolt and don't even have a shower !!!!!!!!!!!
    = mucky smelly old lady......

How petty life can get.....

I often look out of the window and think 'All those poor muts having to crawl off to work'
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:30pm (Mar 10th 2008) edited

:hungry:Belly pork; Nice if it's crispy. Horrid if it's not. With loads of apple sauce. Mmmmm...
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:32pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Diane is gonna be mad at us for messing up the "turn the eggs" thread..ooops.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:33pm (Mar 10th 2008)

There. And I said I'd keep my nose out! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:35pm (Mar 10th 2008)

It was NEVER crispy when my mom did it. She was a bloody awful cook.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 8:40pm (Mar 10th 2008)

So am I. But even I can grill pork strips!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 11:02pm (Mar 10th 2008)

LOL - you bad, bad girlz. I'm actually more surprised that it lasted THIS long Lynn. :D :D

I have routines too: Wednesday - I play all day, Friday - I play all day. Saturday & Sunday - I try to play all day. :P

CC & Lynn what size are your mothers? The reason I ask is...I am 5'7'' and my mother is 5'11" (and about double my girth as well.) I worry about the time when she isn't able to transport herself as well as she does now. Isn't it a bit unnatural to have a mom who is bigger than you are? It really isn't right.

Did the eggs get turned?
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 11:04pm (Mar 10th 2008)

While you typed this post, Diane, those eggs were being turned :wink:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 11:08pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Oooo - that's kind of freaky!
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2008 11:10pm (Mar 10th 2008)

Hmmm, i thought that too :D
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 6:37am (Mar 11th 2008)

My ma's shorter than me, and not as fat but still chubby. She'd kill me if she read that. HAH! :devil:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 3:48pm (Mar 11th 2008)

Eggs turned, now i am late for the dentist's...hate the dentists :angry:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 5:13pm (Mar 11th 2008)

The dentist is your friend. Just think how awful that smile would be without his help.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 5:52pm (Mar 11th 2008) edited

Yeah...but i've been suspicious of them ever since i had my brace put on. The guy promised it would only be on for 1 1/2 - 2 years, it was on for five and a half! He was horrible as well, never told me what was going on and really rude...and now i dread going to the dentists every time. It was okay though, nothing to worry about :smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 6:13pm (Mar 11th 2008)

Remember you have the ultimate power - bite 'im!
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2008 9:15pm (Mar 11th 2008)

I know boys are nearly always taller than their mom (barring genetic defects of course) but not sure if its true of girls. We'd be a world of giants if it was!

Sorry for hijacking the thread Diane - I did think it'd stay on topic but alas!

Anyway *clear throat* turn them eggs when its time or something like that!
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 8:03am (Mar 12th 2008)

Hope you turned them eggs a couple minutes ago!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 8:07am (Mar 12th 2008)

*groans* Turning the eggs was a nightmare! I went to my bedroom at about 9 last night...went on my exercise bike and got straight into bed & fell asleep afterwards!! My mum asked my dad if the eggs needed turning but he apparantly didn't hear her and came to bed too :angry:

I woke up at 6:00am this morning (no alarm or anything) and stumbled to my parent's room to ask if he turned the eggs, then ran down to turn them...nightmare. I'm so stupid i can't believe i forgot, i hope they're okay :sad:
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 8:21am (Mar 12th 2008)

They should be fine...
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 9:31am (Mar 12th 2008)

Perhaps you need 3 post-its, one with each time on and a message saying "turn me at ..." then when you turn the eggs you swap the post-its over (they'll stick to the back of each other) to show the next time. Does that make sense? There wouldn't be any confusion then about whether it'd been done or not.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 2:41pm (Mar 12th 2008)

I think we should be ok now - we have a chart so whoever turns can sign their name on it so the other knows it's done! Just one of those awful mix-ups...!

Anyway I found this info on the 'net so hopefully things will be still be fine:

When you first place the eggs in the incubator they must be no younger than 24 hours old, and if purchased from another breeder allow them to settle for 24 hours after travelling. When placed in the incubator it is important that for the first 4 days you turn the eggs at least 4 times a day for the following week 2 times a day is all that is needed. At this point the humidity is the most critical aspect of incubation. For the first 17 days levels of 40% humidity, 37.6C is best and in the last 3-4 days it should be 55% humidity, 37.6C When first starting out in incubating, investing in a humidity thermometer is a brilliant idea to help for higher hatching rates. If your incubator runs dry of water don’t panic just double the surface area of water in the incubator for the same number of hours it was running dry for. Of course if you have a home made incubator you may have to use trial and error for you incubator.

Sounds like we should worry about humidity more than one missed egg turning... Shame we don't have anything to measure humidity with :\ In fact we used to have an "air quality" meter that detected humidity and airborne pollution but I think Helen gave it to charity - doh!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 2:47pm (Mar 12th 2008) edited

Thanks Peter :)

Dad - told you humidity was important...you just didn't listen :P That's why it'd be useful to candle the eggs as well, because you can guess if the humidity is right by how big the air cell is... *shrugs*
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 4:07pm (Mar 12th 2008)

But how big is the air cell supposed to be and how would we know what to do if it wasn't (which we couldn't tell as we wouldn't know what it was supposed to be like)?!

So much easier just to bung them under a broody hen :)
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 4:12pm (Mar 12th 2008)

I have the chicken book and some stuff i printed off the 'net to help us :wink: - plus BYC has some useful info too. The pic off the net is the best though, it has the air cell at 7 days, then 10 and 14. If the air cell is too big (for example if it looks more like a day 14 air cell) humidity is too high.
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 4:15pm (Mar 12th 2008)

That assumes you can see anything when you candle - last time we did that I just saw mush and thought nothing would hatch, which is why I was pleasantly surprised when we had 3 lovely chicks!
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 4:20pm (Mar 12th 2008)

what do you plan to do with the chicks after they hatch?
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 5:15pm (Mar 12th 2008) edited

no longer a member

name them... wazza, lynn. Diane, CC, Kate and Oli and maybe even nancy
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 6:43pm (Mar 12th 2008)

Er, what about me! :(

I love the way Red and Neil argue on the forum!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 6:44pm (Mar 12th 2008)

So do I - do you think they ever speak directly, or do they just communicate via hencam??! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 6:47pm (Mar 12th 2008)

And from the same pooter - hysterical!
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 6:51pm (Mar 12th 2008)

no longer a member

oops sorry Kate rectified now
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 6:52pm (Mar 12th 2008) edited

:) thank you!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2008 9:46pm (Mar 12th 2008) edited

Yes, that was a great "discussion" about the complexities of egg hatching (and father/daughter relationships.) Who knew it was so hard (egg hatching - the father/daughter thing is easy, right?) Well... I guess most of the rest of you knew it was that hard to create a chick.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 1:33am (Mar 13th 2008)

Kate was talking about heights of mother's and daughters. My maternal grandma was 5 feet even , my mom is %'ft 5 in, my sister and I are 5 feet2 in, my niece is only 4 ft 11in. at age 18 yr. My paternal grandmother was 5ft. 4in. and all three of her daughters are 5ft. 2in as are each of their daughters. Both of my grand-daughters are probably going to be tall. Opal is already 4ft.11in at 9 1/2 yrs. and Lizzie is 4 ft.8 in. at barely 8 yrs. . Their mom is 5ft 10 in. and her mom is about %ft.6in.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 1:36am (Mar 13th 2008)

I meant to say my mom is 5 ft.5in. and my daughter-in-law's mom is about 5ft. 6in.
    • CommentAuthorPeter16
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 5:10am (Mar 13th 2008)

2 hours 50 till turning time,
    you increase the humidity on about day 19 or 20
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 8:18am (Mar 13th 2008)

Haha, we don't even have anything to measure the humidity by Peter!! It's funny in a not-funny way :-\

We talk when at home, but if he's at work i shout at my dad via the hencam forum :cool:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 11:30am (Mar 13th 2008)

Yes, the cyber-strop is always guaranteed to brighten my day at work!
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 12:56pm (Mar 13th 2008)

I was walking home past that little jam-and-flower cart thing and there was this huge pot of strawberry jam, so i bought some :bigsmile: It is yummy, you'll have to have some when you get back from work...I've just had a piece of toast with jam on, and my FIRST EVER peanut butter and jam sandwich :boogie:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 2:24pm (Mar 13th 2008)

Good excuse for having to eat lots of it quickly... if you leave it it will go off as it's natural and doesn't have any preservatives in it :)
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 2:27pm (Mar 13th 2008) edited

Forgot to say... can you fix the cam please? Seems to be a black screen here :(

Forget it, soon as I hit "Send" it started working :\
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 2:35pm (Mar 13th 2008)

Oh good, that's my excuse for eating half of the jar already... :bigsmile:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 5:51pm (Mar 13th 2008)

Wot? Your first peanut butter & jelly (oops-jam) sandwich ever? No way? Really? I wonder how many of those I've eaten up to now. Probably at least 16000. (Sorry Peter - it seems I can't resist that... Apparently, I've needed a number like this!)
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:10pm (Mar 13th 2008)

One of my friends at school is crazy about 'em, but i've just...never had one. So today i plucked up the courage to try one and they're not bad at all, very nice! It just seems like it should taste totally wrong...I mean, peanut butter and jam?!?
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:14pm (Mar 13th 2008)

PBJ's are my favorite all time sandwich, Red. I could live off peanut butter forever. :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:16pm (Mar 13th 2008)

I could too!! When i went vegan i thought that it was an end to my peanut butter obsession...but no, it doesn't actually have butter in it!!! *party time* :boogie:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:18pm (Mar 13th 2008)

LOL - that's great!

I eat a slice of toast with peanut (or else sunflower, or almond) butter on it (and jam) every morning just about. Keep me going strong for hours.
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:21pm (Mar 13th 2008)

Sunflower butter?? sounds good. can you buy that stuff from the supermarkets? or do you make it yourself?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:24pm (Mar 13th 2008)

I found some in a local supermarket. Just checked - they have a web address on the jar: www.sunbutter.com It is good (I think.) If you eat a lot of peanut butter it does take a tiny bit of getting used too...

Ah, there's Red. Funny - I hear her really well at the moment :D
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:29pm (Mar 13th 2008)

thanks, i hope they have it in Canada. I always have to wait three years before anything new in the states arrive in Canadian markets:(
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:33pm (Mar 13th 2008)

You are most welcome. I'm hoping there is a way to buy it over the internet because there's only one place that sells it here on Whidbey and they could easily decide to stop at any point.

When I lived in Canada the thing that used to drive me nuts was how much of the TV was from the US. It made me cringe. I felt like the oblivious next door neighbor who parks half their garbage in the other person's yard...
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2008 6:36pm (Mar 13th 2008)

i would order it online but i dont want to pay the high shipping fee. Yeah, the TV here and in states is pretty idenical except for a couple TV shows, like five, that are actually produced by Canadians