Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeJan 31st, 2011 5:18pm (Jan 31st 2011)

:welcome: to the forum flintdown!

My general rule is 15 square foot for one to two standard sized birds. Then after that a further 6 square feet per additional bird. That's my personal minimum because I like my coops to be roomy. You also need to take into account how much perch there is - chickens need at least 30cm room each on a perch, whereas large feathery breeds will probably need a little more. So for standard chickens, you could fit five birds on the amount of perch you have.

It's up to you how many you have in there really, and what you feel comfortable with. I definitely wouldn't put more than five birds in there as problems will emerge from stress due to overcrowding if you do.

Hope this helps and makes sense :smile:

Red
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2011 6:32pm (Jan 31st 2011)

Hi Flintdown great to hear from you keep us informed about your Girls and maybe some pictures
      welcome_chicken.jpg
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 9:52pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Hello!

I am a final year student studying (if you can call it that) animal behaviour at the University of Bristol. The subject of my dissertation is feather pecking in chickens and it has come to the time now where I need to collect some data. However, I am struggling to get enough people on board (there's a limit to the number of people I know with chooks) so I am resorting to posting on here in an attempt to get some business as it were!

If you live in the BRISTOL area (within 30 miles I would say roughly) or live in DEVON and wouldn't mind letting me come and ogle your chickens for 20 minutes or so or even just took part in a telephone survey which wouldn't take long, then I'd really appreciate it if you got in touch ASAP! I'm a lovely person and not at all scary so pipe up if you fancy it.

Helen
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 10:53pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Hey Helen.
    Stand back and wait for the replies.
    There are some wonderful folk on this site that will gladly help you in any way you ask.
    Sound like a super course you are on. We may be able to pick your brains too - is that a behaviour of the human animal?
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2011 11:46pm (Feb 27th 2011)

Hi Helen, good luck with your dissertation. I don't know if there is anyone on this forum that lives down there but maybe Neil would put something on the home page for you? Not sure if he'd be willing to do that. Don't have any chickens myself - now, if you wanted cats or rats ...!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 12:34pm (Feb 28th 2011) edited

Hey Helen, awesome subject choice :cool:

I can't help as I unfortunately don't live anywhere near Bristol...

:welcome: though.
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 5:01pm (Feb 28th 2011)

(Ollie)

Do you mean does my course include humans? Nope it's purely non-human animals. The full title is animal behaviour and welfare so I do a lot of work on farm animal welfare and transport issues etc etc.

It has been pretty interesting I must say and I especially love being able to go into a supermarket and know exactly what has happened to all the meat on the counters and be able to picture where it has come from. It gives me the extra degree of freedom of choice (if that's the right expression) that many people don't have.

Feel free to pick my brains any time! I'm not wonderwoman but I'll try my best.

Is this mainly a Northern site then??

Also, is there a way I can directly contact Neil?

Cheers guys!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 5:46pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Neil's always looking over us; he is all knowing and will have seen your post, never fear!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 7:36pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Hencam is World-Wide.
    Have a look at Googlemapdirectory at the top of every page.
    There you will see the"Pins" that are US.
    Feel free to put yours on to. It's good to know where folks are. Very International !
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:06pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Hi Ladychook and welcome, I live in the midlands so am to far away from you. Shame though as you would have been welcome to visit my girls.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2011 9:09pm (Feb 28th 2011)

Oh I forgot to say you can contact Neil using the contact button on the web cam page it is on the bottom there at the end.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2011 1:02am (Mar 1st 2011) edited

~ you can use the 'contact' page at http://hencam.co.uk/?talk

Alternatively you can post a whisper on the forum, or leave a message for me and I can pass it on to him if he's not responding.
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 8:29pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

Nanny north

Would you be interested in me perhaps contacting you by phone in the near future instead of visiting? It will be just as useful! If so please email me on:

hellywelly89@googlemail.com

Thank you! It will be a painless interview type thing I promise.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2011 8:33pm (Mar 2nd 2011)

I only have a mobile phone now so that might be a tad expensive, can you do it by email or messenger ?
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 9:18am (Mar 4th 2011)

Yep I can send you a copy of the questionnaire by email, that would work nicely.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 6:36pm (Mar 4th 2011)

I can do an email one, but I'm not v. competent re chickens; I just feed and house them!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2011 6:39pm (Mar 4th 2011)

I can do an email one too if it's any help :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2011 3:37pm (Mar 8th 2011)

I need to check this site more often! OK. Would you all be ok putting your emails on this site or is that too personal? It would be easier, or if you just send me an email on

hellywelly89@googlemail.com

then I'll send you the questionnaire. It would be absolutely perfect if you all did one. I'm realyl scraping the barrel for chicken flocks at the minute!

Helen
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2011 12:03am (Mar 9th 2011)

Ha, no problem :bigsmile:

My email is:

scarlet@hencam.co.uk
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2011 7:13am (Mar 10th 2011)

No problem :face-smile:

leevaux1704@ntlworld.com
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 10:11am (Mar 17th 2011)

Just a reminder that if anyone fancies doing a questionnaire it's very quick and easy to complete and incredibly helpful for me!

Hopefully we will be able to shed some light on the welfare issue that is feather pecking in non-commercial chickens at the end of this study.

Thank you to those who have done one already!

Helen
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 3:00pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Sent mine this morning Helen via e mail did you get it ?

Lee
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 6:46pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Sent mine in a good ole ENVELOPE. Written with a PEN...
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 7:58pm (Mar 17th 2011)

Sent mine as well via e-mail.......cor an envelope and pen your pushing the boat out CC :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 17th, 2011 9:10pm (Mar 17th 2011)

How quaint CC!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 4:54pm (Mar 18th 2011)

Think I got a pen somewhere as well !!!!!:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeMar 18th, 2011 9:36pm (Mar 18th 2011)

I just sent my nana a letter, written with a pen an' everything...I'm with you CC!! (well, sort of...I did email the questionnaire :face-devil-grin: )
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2011 9:45pm (Mar 19th 2011)

The paper questionaire (Our ten yearly census compulsary form) was much more complicated than the on line version. Glad I did mine on line before I looked at the paper.
    Questions the same but put in a long winded way some how.
    Did any one else feel it was like that?
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2011 9:57pm (Mar 19th 2011)

Haven't done ours yet - which is really bad been as I'm one of the people that will use the data it generates!
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2011 10:38pm (Mar 19th 2011)

• CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 10:44am (Mar 20th 2011)

Gracious me Kate! Do you mean someone actually uses this information???
    I thought it was all just "A job for the boys" exercise.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 4:14pm (Mar 20th 2011) edited

Posted By: RedWe didn't realise it was compulsory and ours is shredded for pet bedding...ah well, recycling and all that :)

Umm... you do know that it is compulsory to return a census form - not completing the census leads to a fine of up to £1000 + costs (each)... time to get online and filling in!

Even the queen has to fill one in apparently.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 4:35pm (Mar 20th 2011)

Yeah we did it online instead :P
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 5:46pm (Mar 20th 2011)

Question 17 with no question says Do you speak Welsh? if you live in Wales. So I put (in Welsh) that I did but LSE didn't.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 6:47pm (Mar 20th 2011)

People often think its snooping and useless, but then will complain that schools aren't big enough, or there's no community support for them. The downside is that the transient and illegal immigrant population don't complete it so we can only guess about those numbers.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 7:43pm (Mar 20th 2011) edited

Posted By: KatebIts very useful for us! It tells us the population demographics - sex, age etc, which we use to plan future services, and tells us about people's health - what they eat, exercise, etc. Public Health couldn't function without it, and the council rely heavily on it too.

Is there a different census or something? Ours didn't say anything about diet, or much about anything really?? Just asked how many people lived there, stayed over, ages, that was it. Didn't ask about diet or exercise or anything :face-plain:
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 10:46pm (Mar 20th 2011)

Yep got all your questionnaires (the chicken ones not the census ones) thanks! Sent emails to say so today. I drew a picture in my mysterious Q 17!
    • CommentAuthorladychook
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2011 10:48pm (Mar 20th 2011)

P.S. I'm with Red in that mine definitely only had the very basics of me and my relgion/age etc. It had nothing on what could lead to improving services for me, unless they register when I'm 35 and send me anti-wrinkle cream...
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2011 10:19am (Mar 21st 2011)

It appears that Q 17 was only for folks living in Wales.

The first time I filled in the census, I was waiting till the date they wanted to know who was in the house as I had a transient household at the time and couldn't tell ahead.
    The census folk came knocking at my door a week before this date wanting their form.
    They didn't seem to be bothered about my not knowing exactly who would be here on that date.
    So my details were eventually incorrect. My missing folks had assumed they were on my form so didn't appear anywhere.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2011 11:18pm (Mar 21st 2011)

See, I should've done mine before posting then I'd have known that! The last one had a lot of that info in it - maybe they decided not to this time, or perhaps it was only with a smaller section of the population. I wasn't in the same job then so don't know but I'm sure it was bigger!

Even so, its still very useful to know the age, health etc of the population, and things like the number of cars, employment status enable them to assign specific population 'types' to an area to know whether they are deprived for example. The more deprived they are the more likely they are to have ill health, poorer living conditions, earlier mortality. Health can be targeted to those most in need then.

Just wondering if Danny and the kids will be here on the specific night!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2011 12:28pm (Mar 25th 2011)

I have already filled in mine and my Mum's and will post it back on the said date. It is the easiest of forms to fill in looking at all the other stuff waiting for my attention on my desk at home.

I have Mum's Disability Form to fill in. I have promising her I will do that for a year now.

I have the attandent allowance from to fill in to see if I can get her some help in the house.

I have a carer's form to fill in for me so the NHS can see the amount of hours I am putting in to keep things ticking over for my Mum. I won't get anything for it but they need to know.

I have her pension credit form to fill in. apparently they have to ask for this info. every once in a while in case her circumstances change, like her getting a job !!!!!!!!!! (I ask you !!)

I have a Power of Attorney form to fill in so I don't have to do a Mr Meldrew every time I have to speak on my Mum's behalf to Utilities, Hospitals etc..

I HATE FORMS !!

I will be pouring myself a huge glass of wine and then getting on with it all to-day and will report back on Monday to let everyone know how much I have done.

Can I have a bit of nagging from everyone here to make me finish this task please. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2011 6:29pm (Mar 25th 2011)

GET ON WITH IT! After the wine, of course....:drinkparty: :flowers:
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 7:27pm (Mar 26th 2011)

Evening, everyone/anyone who happens to be here...phew! got myself signed on - with a little bit of help from friends. Thank you :-). J
    ust a quickie to say 'hello' before I have to go out. Continue to enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2011 8:04pm (Mar 26th 2011)

Hi there Emm and welcome so glad you got yourself signed up, I had to get help from my son signing up so you are not the only one !! I soon got the hang of it all and you can always ask for help if you get stuck on anything. You have a good evening out and come back soon for a good chat.
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 5:26pm (Mar 27th 2011)

Hello, Em, nice to meet you!
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 6:03pm (Mar 27th 2011)

Nice to here from you Emm keep in touch !!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 7:09pm (Mar 27th 2011)

Hello, great to see you posting :seeya:
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2011 10:58pm (Mar 27th 2011)

How's the form filling going Shobhna?! Just remember, when you've done them you'll feel like you've achieved a massive amount!

Welcome Emm, we're always glad to have new members!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 1:19pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Kate, did nto get a single solitary thing done. My plan on Friday was to had dinner and get started on the paper work. Instead of which Mum's friend turned up and wasted an hour and half of my time. then by the time I got dinner sorted out, I had lost the will to live. :face-sad:

Saturday was busy and Sunday was busy6. Have plans for to-night and I will report back tomorrow on my achievements.

Emm, Hello and welcome. :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 8:29pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Hello again, everyone (including nanny north, chief chicken, leevaux, red, kateb, shobna for the welcome/greeting, etc. Took me a while again to get round to actually get on this site...

Didn't help that I accidentally pushed a BIG cup of tea onto the living room carpet. Anyway, I survived all that and here I am, at last. :--)
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 8:43pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Am I on the right site for instant discussion? :face-plain:
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 8:47pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Hi there Emm nice to see you again. We can not do instant discussion on this site, but we do chat back and forth. Sod about the tea I hope it didn't stain the carpet.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:12pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Emm just dive right on in thats what we all do join in on any or all the threads. We are not all here the same time but will answer as we come along.
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:30pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Thanks you, nanny north. I very much appreciate the encouragement. Beginning to understand it more :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:31pm (Mar 28th 2011)

thank you...ha ha ha...I'll get there!
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:33pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Took me awhile Emm don't worry every one is real nice and we all had to start new once !!!!
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:39pm (Mar 28th 2011)

The carpet is the least of my worries -got a small rug to cover it, but it was weak tea. I need a nice hot shower, as I've spent a long, lovely day at Natural England (nature reserve). Walked through reed beds and spied a pair of swans in the lake, building a nest together; admired konik horses, as they grazed in the dry field nearby; marvelled at a pair of Marsh Harriers gliding regally up in the air...have a lovely evening, everyone.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:47pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Lucky it was weak tea EMM, coffe is one of the worst to stain oh and red wine of course. The nature reserve sounds lovely, I love things like that.Grandad North has a day off tomorrow and I think we are going to do something but we will wait and see what the weather is like before we decide what. I did get some stuff for a picnic in case it is nice. So Fingers crossed.
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:58pm (Mar 28th 2011)

am keeping my fingers crossed for you and grandad North...a picnic sounds lovely! wonder why the font (size). Nuight for now...
    • CommentAuthoremm28
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 9:59pm (Mar 28th 2011)

font size is so small that I can't see to type. maybe it will go away. Night,everyone.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 10:08pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Where is Natural England Emm? Sounds like a beautiful place.
    If you have something specific to ask then start a new thread so that people can respond, otherwise it might get lost in amongst the other posts. You might've noticed that we're not very good at staying on topic on these threads - Neil (our leader!) has long given up ever hoping that we would!!!
    As for the tea, I recall us moving into our first flat and only being able to afford one carpet which was in the living room. I spilt my tea so mopped up what I could and moved the chair over the stain. I knew if I waited long enough hubby would spill tea too and then I could blame him for the first stain!! He still doesn't know about that to this day, 26 years later!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 28th, 2011 11:07pm (Mar 28th 2011)

Wow Kate. You keep your carpets a long time. Though thinking about it, my daughter's lounge carpet is on its third generation. It's a huge Chinese rug bought by my Mum in the early 70's and has been in constant use. Just beginning to show it's age in parts.
    Don't suppose I can say much really considering I am still using that old upright Hoover. (see another thread somewhere)

Oh yes, that not keeping onto title subject is called "Thread Drift"
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2011 1:54pm (Mar 29th 2011)

Ollie, I love 'thread drift':face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2011 5:18pm (Mar 29th 2011)

What's a konik horse, Emma?
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2011 8:29pm (Mar 29th 2011)

• CommentTimeMar 29th, 2011 10:20pm (Mar 29th 2011)

Kate you always make sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2011 9:37am (Mar 30th 2011)

Posted By: KatebNo, I kept the hubby 26 years, not the carpet!! Sorry, didn't make much sense there did I!!

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2011 12:42pm (Mar 30th 2011)

Posted By: RedYeah we did it online instead :P

Lol! You had me worried for a minute then!
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2011 10:32pm (Mar 30th 2011)

Posted By: chief chickenWhat's a konik horse, Emma?

CC, they are little semi-wild horses from Poland.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th, 2011 10:36pm (Mar 30th 2011)

Sorry to be late, Emma..but WELCOME TO THE HENCAM.
      LW_WelcomeHencam.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 1:44am (Mar 31st 2011)

Ohh I wouldn't mind seeing the konic horses I bet they are lovely. I haven't heard of them before if you go again Emm maybe you could get some pictures of then for us.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2011 9:22pm (Mar 31st 2011)

Thanks, Lynn. But I'd better not...either Eric or the hens or the rabbits would run away from home.:tooth:
    • CommentAuthorannier
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 9:54am (Apr 14th 2011)

Hi, my name is Anne, I have just joined the site.

I breed Cream Legbars and also keep some ex-bats and a variety of hybrids - I love 'em all!!

In addition I have two German Shepherd dogs, three cats and two horses.

Looking forward to meeting you all!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 10:40am (Apr 14th 2011)

Hi Anne! :welcome: to the forum ^__^

Sounds like you have some lovely chickens there and gorgeous breed of dogs too, I love GSDs! :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 1:48pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Hello and welcome Anne.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 5:20pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Hello Annie, nice to have you here. I wish i could have a dog; i always stop to talk to a long haired GSD caled Presley every morning!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 6:18pm (Apr 14th 2011) edited

Hi Annie welcome to one of the nicest places you could be :face-smile:
      2569927262_e62e1659b7.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 6:22pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Welcome to the hencam, Annie. Where in the world are you located? I'm in Washington state, USA.
      LW_WelcomeHencam.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 7:31pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Hi Annie and welcome nice to meet you.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2011 10:50pm (Apr 14th 2011)

Welcome Annie! My neighbour has a german shepherd called Bella. She is beautiful though still quite naughty (she's still a juvenile). She constantly wants to play with their other dog, a lab, and barks all the time. Do you breed chickens just for yourself or do you sell them too?

I hope you enjoy the forum - join in on any of the threads, we're a friendly bunch though don't stick to the subject very often!
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 5:22am (Apr 17th 2011)

Hullo Anne and welcome to the world of hencam.
    A place for us to chat and share all sorts of things, not just hens.
    I live in Australia and have an elderly Burmeses cat :cat:but we love hens heaps.:milly_hen:
    • CommentAuthorrachelsunshine
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 8:14pm (Apr 17th 2011)

Hi My name is Rachel
    Just joind the site. I am about to get my first lot of hens so thought it would be a good idea to make some friends in the know if i need help.
    A bit about me I am a singel mum of 2 girls aged 5 and 7 and 2 cats(i will admit theas are also my babies lol) i love animals and would love to have a dog (springer spanual) but will wait till the girls are a bit older.
    I look forward to chatting with you :):face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 8:28pm (Apr 17th 2011)

Hi Rachel!

:welcome: to the forum, nice to have you here :)

Ah getting your first hens is always so exciting! Have you thought about any specific breeds yet??

I am much more of a dog person than a cat person and always claim that I don't like cats - but I love them really! As for dog, I just got my first dog almost a month ago, and he happens to be a Springer Spaniel cross Border Collie!

Here's a photo of my little 'baby'...no doubt you'll stumble across the thread containing hundreds of photos of him at some point :P

Feel free to ask any questions about hen ownership :)

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 8:48pm (Apr 17th 2011)

Welcome Rachael! I don't have hens but do have 2 cats who I adore (and 2 grandchildren!) There are lots of very knowledgable people on here so I am sure they will be happy to help you out with any questions you may have.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 9:01pm (Apr 17th 2011)

Hi Rachel, welcome to hen cam it is lovely to meet you. So pleased you are getting some hens they are lovely pets to own and of course the eggs are a brilliant bonus as well. I am sure your girls wil love them. I have eight hens and four fur babies. We all share each others pets on here as you will see when you get going round all the threads. Feel free to join in with the chat. Annie has just joined as well so you are not new all by yourself.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2011 11:41pm (Apr 17th 2011)

Welcome to hencam Rachel, feel free to join in our chats, we are a friendly bunch and many of us have lots of helpful hen and general pet advice.
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2011 8:54pm (Apr 18th 2011)

Hi Rachel
    Great to have you on board :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2011 7:56am (Apr 19th 2011)

Welcome Rachel, it's nice to meet you.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2011 1:19pm (Apr 19th 2011)

Rachel, hello and welcome
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2011 7:59pm (Sep 20th 2011)

Hi all, I'm Mac, nearly as new to chicken keeping as I am to this site, collected my 4 lovely hens 8 days ago and can't help but wonder why I waited so long, we have a White Sussex, a Speckledy and 2 Rhode island Red bread with blue Moran and they are all fantastic, just waiting for the first eggs :-)
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2011 8:50pm (Sep 20th 2011)

Hi Mac :welcome: to hencam, no hens yet just a love for all critters great and small. You hens sound lovely, any pics yet? we do love pics here!
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2011 11:19pm (Sep 20th 2011)

Welcome from me too Mac! I don't have hens either, but seem to know lots of people who have! What part of the world are you from? Where did you get your hens from? Are you spoiling them yet?!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 5:26am (Sep 21st 2011)

Welcome to hencam, Mac.
      LW_WelcomeHencam.jpg
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 8:06am (Sep 21st 2011)

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm from Coleshill in Warwickshire, we got our hens ( known to us as Button, Amber, Polly & Bussle ) from Ollieschirpychickens in Henley in Arden a really nice family run business full of help and advice , and as for pictures, I have dozens but will need to resize them on photo bucket.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 9:39am (Sep 21st 2011) edited

This is Button, something tells me she's quite happy living with us..this was taken 4 days after we got her home

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 4:43pm (Sep 21st 2011)

She's obviously wild and untameable, Mac...:D
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 6:09pm (Sep 21st 2011)

Cute but insatiable is closer lol
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2011 11:06pm (Sep 21st 2011)

Ah, I just asked what they were called on the 'post your pics' thread! I'm just down the road from you in Chelmsley Wood - what a small world! Any other pets?
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 7:29am (Sep 22nd 2011)

Hi Mac nice to have you on board :face-smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 7:56am (Sep 22nd 2011)

Thanks Leevaux,

Kateb, I could practically THROW spare eggs your way you're so close lol, the girls are called Amber, Button, Bussle & Polly, i've just put their names and reasons for their names on post yer pics.

We don't have any other pets, we used to have a huge dog but we sadly lost him at the beginning of August. That's why wouldn't have hens before, it wouldn't have been fair on either of them.

How about you, what pets do you keep ?