Site Tag Cloud

21st advice album alert amazing animal animals area arrived babies baby bad bald bam bath battery beautiful belated ben big bill bird birthday black bonfire bound box breed breeds british broken broody bull bun buy buying cage caged cam camera captions car care cat cc chicken chickens chook chooks christmas chucks clicker colour competition contact coop coops cornsnake council couple cruelty cutting dad day dead death decide derby diane diet dog dogs donna dresses drinking early easter eat eating egg eggbound eggs elvis emergency falcon falcons farm feather feathers feed feeding finally find fireworks first foggy for forum foundation free frog fun funny future garden girl girls goldie good goodbye gotcha great growing hagley hall hamster happy heavy helen hen hencam hens hike home horse house housing huge ideas improvements info inscription introduce introducing introduction james julie kasper kaspers kate late latest lathargic laying lead lee leeds leg lemon life likes london long lost lots love lovely lyle lynn machine mareks meet members merry message mice milly missing mite morning moult mouse moving mums mystery nail nanny new news nice night noisy nook norths ollie online page pancake parrot party pecking peregrine personal pet pets photos pic pics pictures plus poland poorly positive post poultry pretty production prom pumpkin purple quail questions rabbit rain rare rat recall red reds reinforcement remember renee rescue respect review rip ronston roof sad sale scarlet shelled shirley shobhna show sids slightly slow snake sneezing snow soft spammers special spring staffordshire start terrier thomas thread ticket tilly time today tom training tree trev trevs uk update valentines vegan vet visitors visits volka walk wanted warning webcam weekend welfare where white wild wilsden winnie winter women woods work world worming wrong ya yay year yorkshire zoey zoeys 1 2 4 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2016

• CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 4:41pm (Sep 22nd 2011)

:welcome: to the forum Mac, your girls are beautiful! :seeya:
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 11:31pm (Sep 22nd 2011)

If my windows get egged I'll know who to blame Mac!!! Are the whole family as enamoured with them or is it just you?

I've got 2 elderly cats, Emmett is 16 and Foggy 15. Joey was Foggy's son and died about 3 years ago, and I used to have pet rats too, but my last 2 died at the beginning of this year just as my son moved back home. I also have a stray cat that visits 3 times a day for food and fuss.

My son has his kids 4 days/3 nights a week (Caitlyn and Shaun) who are wonderful but as they've all taken over the spare room I've nowhere to keep rats any more, but hopefully I will get some when my son eventually moves out again (which won't be for a while I don't think - he was made redundant 2 months ago).
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2011 11:43pm (Sep 22nd 2011)

I'm sorry for your son, it's a hard place out there at the mo.

We're all really over the moon with the girls, although my son, Tomas is 15 so tries to hide it a little but I've heard him having little conversations with them lol
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2011 7:26am (Sep 23rd 2011)

Posted By: BellmactomI've heard him having little conversations with them lol

Thats when you no you are hooked on Hens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2011 10:38pm (Sep 23rd 2011)

When I was growing up my dog was my saviour - she knew all of my secrets and never judged me as long as I remembered to feed her!!! He'll be bringing his mates round to see them next - can just imagine them bragging about sitting out in the garden surrounded by birds!!!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2011 8:39am (Sep 25th 2011)

It sounds like you know him so well lol

I can't believe that yesterday I was working in the garden using an angle grinder to cut slabs, a router to take the corners off some wood, a drill to drill the wood and the girls weren't at all bothered, the minute I started to use a broom they went absolutely ballistic, they are crackers.
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2011 5:09pm (Sep 25th 2011)

The worrying bit is coming soon if you have a real fire; the axe is raised to chop the log...and a beak is poked at the log; 'Would I like that? What are you doing? Did I say you could do that in my garden?' :gasp:
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2011 11:15pm (Sep 25th 2011)

I used to have a dog that would sleep through anything - vacuum included - but would run in fear if she even saw an aerosol can! I didn't realise chickens were so brave, which begs the question - why are people called 'chicken' if they're afraid of something?
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 1:08pm (Sep 26th 2011)

Hi Mack lovely to meet you and welcome to the forum. You have lovely hens, they make the most amazing pets and they get up to comical antics. I have six hens four cats two giant snails and lots of assorted fishes.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 1:51pm (Sep 26th 2011)

I have to admit it was my wife who first mentioned chickens and I sort of said, yeah, if you like, but they have very quickly become my girls and I can't imagine them not being there now, we used to have a big dog called Teddy, on account of the fact he was like a bear 10 and a half stone of gentle giant but now we have the 4 girls & 2 large fish tanks, 1 one tropical and one cold water. I used to want a pond but the area of garden I was going to use now has a little house in it :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 2:01pm (Sep 26th 2011)

Grandad North was a bit worried when I wanted hens, but I was a bit naughty and started off telling him I wanted a goat which he was mega worried about cos I said he would have to learn to milk it in case I wasn't able to. So when I mentioned hens as an alternative he said ok and started building a hen house !!!! He adores the hens now and says they are one of the best things we ever got. I still haven't owned up about the goat bit......might come in handy if I want something else :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 2:07pm (Sep 26th 2011)

I have a fair big pond but the fish are growing so fast we did wonder about digging another. But as we are on red clay with added cobble stones about four feet down it is heck of a job to do by hand. I would love an aquarium but my cats would never leave it alone and I am sure Sootz my big cat would want to get on top of it he weighs over a stone, My snails move so slow he doesnt take any notice of them but will get on top of their vivaruim if he can. He likes to be up high so he doesn't miss any thing. Funny thing is he doesn't even look at the pond.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 10:43pm (Sep 26th 2011)

My wife would freak out at your snails ! I've never quite worked out why she is fine with spiders which run at a million miles an hour yet slugs and snails which could barely catch you while you're sleeping are an absolute no no.

I have to say I've always been more of dog person than a cat person, although I have enjoyed many a cuddle my friends cat sat on my lap. I think the best comparison I ever heard between cats and dogs was " dogs come when you call them, cats take a message and get back to you " :face-devil-grin:

I can't say I blame you for being reluctant to dig a new pond by hand, your ground sounds like a nightmare ! I love big ponds and fish and fishing.

My main tank is a room divider with Oscars, parrots, kissing guoramis and 3 different catfish, I can lose hours watching them.
    • CommentTimeSep 26th, 2011 11:22pm (Sep 26th 2011)

You have both said what everyone I know with hens says - they can't imagine life without them now. My sis-in-law wanted to dig a pond in my garden (she has one with koi and some other fish) but I said no, really doesn't appeal to me.

I'm told fish tanks are better than TV, but then looking at the schedules that's not hard! You're right about cats too - the other true phrase is that dogs have owners and cats have slaves.

My rats were wonderful pets, the best comparison for them is a dog that's small enough to live in a cage. The only downside is their short life-span. They burrow into your heart and then take a piece of it with them in such a short time.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 12:56pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Posted By: Bellmactom" dogs come when you call them

Can someone tell our dog that please?! :rolling:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 1:59pm (Sep 27th 2011)

I could tell him but by the sound of it he wouldn't take any notice.........

I always found when we had a dog, calling " Teddy, do you want one of these" would almost guarantee a response :-)
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:11pm (Sep 27th 2011)

When I call my dog, I don't call her name..I yell
    "I've got cookies"..works every time.:face-smile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:36pm (Sep 27th 2011)

I do a similar thing with my 15yr old :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:41pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Haha!! Unfortunately Kasper's just not at all interested in treats out on a walk (too much going on!) which is partly why we started experiementing baking our own...even the liver treats he will only take occasionally!
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 7:49pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Won't try the liver treats on my 15yr old son, Tomas, he's vegetarian so think he's more likely to bark or bite :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 8:10pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Haha, yeah I wouldn't advise them for Tomas...I leave Lyle to make the liver treats (he's vegetarian!) but there's no way I'm doing them 'cos I'm vegan!! :tooth:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 8:30pm (Sep 27th 2011)

When Tom had his GCSE results ( he took 3 a year early ) we went to a vegan/vegetarian restaurant, it was quite an experience for lifelong carnivore
    • CommentTimeSep 27th, 2011 11:37pm (Sep 27th 2011)

Wow, bright boy your son - what does he want to do in the future?

Is it unusual for a boy of that age to be veggie? Are you and your wife vegetarian?
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 7:25am (Sep 28th 2011)

He wants to be a forensic pathologist, ultimately working in America.
    He's been vegetarian, well pesactarian really, for over 18 months now, they did quite an in-depth study at school about how animals are slaughtered and he decided he didn't agree with it. It came as a bit of a surprise at first because my wife (Belle) and I are both full on meat eaters. Although having said that we do eat a lot of vegetarian meals now because it's easier than cooking 2 or three different meals.
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 1:58pm (Sep 28th 2011) edited

That was good of the school to do that, we never had anything like that. When I started going out with Lyle for the first 10 months or so he was a meat eater and it never bothered me. Then he became vegetarian (he doesn't eat any meat)...it had nothing to do with me being vegan by the way, I told him not to do it! But he's been veggie for over a year now and I'm very proud of him :smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 2:58pm (Sep 28th 2011)

I'm curious, in his in-depth study how did he come to the conclusion that he was ok with eating fish? (not trying to sound all PETA but genuinely interested).

For me, pesactarian is not anything like vegetarian... not even in the same ballpark if you ask me. You can't eat a cow but it would be 'within the rules' to eat a boiled-alive lobster or dead fish?! Weird! :face-angel:
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 4:50pm (Sep 28th 2011)

Are you a veggie Neil? And Helen? My spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, I'm afraid...
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 5:59pm (Sep 28th 2011) edited

My dad's been a veggie since he was a young teen, and my mum turned veggie due to the BSE mad cow disease scare and other health reasons.

I've known two pescetarians closely and both of them didn't eat meat (other than fish) "just because," it wasn't to do with a moral issue with the way animals are kept / slaughtered. In fact my friend who was a pescetarian stopped eating meat because her family bet her she couldn't (fish didn't count for some reason). She didn't eat any meat but fish for five years, from the age of 12 - 17...now that's dedication to prove her family wrong! :bigsmile:
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 8:00pm (Sep 28th 2011)

It was purely the slaughter he disapproved of and initially didn't eat fish either, it was a discussion with me and his mom regarding his dietary needs linked to his dyspraxia which sort of leaned him toward eating fish ( I also think his deep routed love of prawn cocktail had some influence ) but it still shows some strength of character for fifteen yr old to give up Mc D's :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 10:10pm (Sep 28th 2011)

I'd never heard of pescetarian before! (Even the spell check doesn't recognise it!) What's the difference between vegetarian and vegan? Is it the use of animal products too? In which case, how does a veggie think its not OK to eat a cow, but its OK to wear it on their feet? And I thought veggies ate fish? I'm afraid I'm really dumb about these things.

As a meat eater with a terrible diet (I really hate food - oh for the Tomorrow's World promised tablet that would provide with all our nutritional needs!) I really do admire vegans, vegetarians and the newly-discovered pescetarians!
    • CommentTimeSep 28th, 2011 10:38pm (Sep 28th 2011) edited

Vegetarian = somebody who eats no meat from any animal, which obviously includes fish.

Vegan = somebody who eats no product from an animal, this includes meat, milk, eggs, honey etc.

Vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice entirely based on food; it's the decision to not eat meat for whatever reason,be it a health or moral issue. The same with veganism, all that's required to be classed as a vegan is to not eat any animal products. Vegetarianism and veganism is to do with what you eat, not what you wear, although some veggies or vegans choose to avoid leather, wool etc as well.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 7:31am (Sep 29th 2011)

My mom is just like you Kateb, would much rather take a pill each day than have a meal, for me the best thing about all of the different dietary lifestyles is the chance to experience something new, I love food and trying different dishes, whether they're based on religious, moral or cultural needs. I've had some amazing experiences from Michelin star to ramshackle farmers hut in cuba.
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 12:02pm (Sep 29th 2011)

Omega-3 isn't usually a problem for veggies (as long as you have a decent, varied diet) but I can understand your concerns that you don't want his choice affecting his health:

Vegetarians and vegans are not more likely to be deficient in omega-3s compared to meat-eaters. It is fairly easy for everyone consuming a balanced diet to meet the Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendations for alpha-linolenic acid intake; equivalent to 0.6% - 1.2% of daily energy.

(source: http://jillharris.suite101.com/vegetarian-omega3-sources-a50910)

Like Red says I've been veggie for over 25 years - since my mid-teens, and I think quite quickly after you decide to be veggie (or vegan in Scarlet's case), it becomes 'the norm', so it's kind of not even a lifestyle 'choice' anymore - it's just what you do. It's usually other people that make a big deal about "ooh you must miss x food" (unless you are talking bacon sarnies!) :)
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 7:42pm (Sep 29th 2011) edited

It took me three attempts to go vegan when I was sixteen, and that was just because I hadn't done enough research into what I could actually eat...for the first year I was vegan I didn't realise I could eat Pizza Hut pizza's (minus the cheese), Coco Pops or tomato ketchup (some own brands add milk, but mostly they're fine)!

I can't imagine not being vegan now, and it's surprising what 'normal' food I can eat, such as Bourbon Cream biscuits! I don't miss any foods either, and I've never had a problem finding things to eat at 'normal' restaurants / cafes.

Ugh I hate the smell of cooking bacon :ack2:
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2011 11:47pm (Sep 29th 2011)

Because I don't like food cooking in general all seems like a big faff to me (faff meaning a lot of messing around, just in case its a regional thing and only Mac understands me!!!) I blame my mom - she was an awful cook.

I am also a hypocrite in that I eat meat but I could never kill it myself, even if I was starving. I hate seeing the trucks on the motorway with animals in ... I really wish someone would invent that tablet for me and Mac's mom.
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 8:06am (Sep 30th 2011)

I don't enjoy cooking just for myself so usually end up going for something quick and convenient, beans, pizza but I quite like cooking for all 4 of us ( my niece is staying with us for year, she lives in Norfolk but has a job at Kenilwoth Castle), I do like my meat but not actually that often we have meat or fish, we eat a lot of Quorn and pasta dishes and even if we have toad in the hole we use Linda McCartney.
    • CommentTimeSep 30th, 2011 9:03pm (Sep 30th 2011)

Kenilwoth Castle that takes me back to my childhood being born in Cov memories memories memories !!!!!!!!!!!

:face-smile::face-smile::face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 1st, 2011 10:03am (Oct 1st 2011)

I also do'nt enjoy cooking for one - or more!
    I do make own soups for lunch, generally two days worth at a time. But often by evening I just can't be bothered and end up with something simple. Even throwing together a salad sandwich can daunt...
    However I rarely eat rubbish.
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2011 8:02pm (Oct 2nd 2011)

I've only been to Kenilworth Castle once, which is terrible when its only up the road! I never even realised they had people working there! (or perhaps they didn't when I went some, er, 20 years ago!!)
      CommentAuthorBellmactom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2011 7:23am (Oct 3rd 2011)

My niece absolutely loves working there, she does tours with school children, or works in the tea room or the gatehouse etc. She is really into history and castles in particular, she even visits other Casltes on her day off ! Sort of the castle equivalent to a train spotter I guess.
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2011 10:48pm (Oct 3rd 2011)

How lovely! It's great to hear about people that really enjoy their jobs, especially the youths of today - there's not a lot of choice out there for them. I wonder if there's a castle hierarchy - Kenilworth to Warwick to Tower of London!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 12:45am (Dec 23rd 2011)

Jonny's back!! :)
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 5:11am (Dec 23rd 2011)

:hiwave: What have you been up to all this time, Jonny? It's good to know you are still with us.
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 6:28pm (Dec 23rd 2011)

Ha, Jonny you've not been around for donkey's... :smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd, 2011 8:04pm (Dec 23rd 2011)

So what have you been doing with yourself Jonny? it is really Christmas now you are here with us again, its really made my day for us.
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeDec 27th, 2011 6:09pm (Dec 27th 2011)

Seasons greetings to you all. Im Cyd from New Zealand. Have become addicted to the feathered folk. My special love are Wyandottes but I also have a few mottled and silver pencilled pekins. Its mid summer here right now and Im having red mite problems in one of my houses, actually its 5 houses in one building. I didnt diesel/oil spray it at the end of last season like I did the others so that will teach me cos the others are spotless!!!!! Good experiment, will be doing it as soon as numbers are down again. But in the meantime I have cleaned thoroughly, sprayed with an insecticide and mineral oil and dusted with Diatom. Having been crawled over by these things I feel so sorry for my birds having that all night, makes me cringe. Hope they were more comfortable last night. In NZ we dont have standard silver pencilled or partridge wyandottes so I am trying to recreate them. My silver programme is 2 gens underway but another breeder has sent me eggs from his partridge experiment, the chicks are 6 weeks now and I must admit they are pretty attractive in their gorgeous rich colouring. Well thats me and mine. Nice to meet you all and I hope to join in on some conversations soon. Cyd
    • CommentTimeDec 27th, 2011 8:42pm (Dec 27th 2011)

:welcome: Cyd! Wow, would love to see some photos of your chucks if possible, they sound magnificent :bigsmile:

Ugh, the hated red mites! Hopefully you've got the infestation under control - we use Diatomaceous Earth too, and it's always worked wonderfully at getting rid of parasites! We used to have terrible infestations until we started using that.
    • CommentTimeDec 27th, 2011 11:37pm (Dec 27th 2011)

Blimey Cyd, that's what you call a collection of chickens! Sounds like there are some real 'lookers' in your house!!

I echo what Red said - welcome to the forum and show us some photos!
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 7:04am (Dec 28th 2011)

Here are some pics of my kids. My White Wyandottes, just love the chunky look of them. I have a heap of babies running round, planning on keeping some for this years shows and breeding later on.
    The Silver Pencilled programme birds are very varied this generation as all genes getting mixed up, hope to get something a bit more regulated in another generation or 2.....lol. Mottles............LOVE EM, except the roo who has decided I am his mortal enemy.......grrrrrr. The girls tho are divine. One is doing mother duties to the Partridge Wyandotte babies, no pics yet of them but will post when I do. Thanks for the welcome and for the interest. Cheers. Cyd
      MMM1.JPG
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 9:15am (Dec 28th 2011)

Oh they are BEAUTIFUL! How do you manage to keep them so clean?! :tooth:

They are huge and fluffy, remind me of Buff Orps!
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 10:15am (Dec 28th 2011)

Hi Cyd its great to have you on board look forward to hearing all about your Girls.
    • CommentAuthorSharon
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 2:18pm (Dec 28th 2011)

:biggrin:Hi Cyd,

Welcome and what beautiful girls you have and yes how do you manage to keep them soooo clean lol !!
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 4:45pm (Dec 28th 2011)

Cyd, you must have the chicken equivalent of a sheep dip with Persil in it! :D Welcome to the henhouse. Madhouse. Whatever...
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 6:49pm (Dec 28th 2011)

Thanks you lot, I feel at home already. I have to asmit I do bath the white birds for shows. I use Lux Flakes (for wool) and use a whiteing blue rinse in the rinse water, really brightens the white, but the rest of the time I leave them be a la matural. The rain washes them!!! They look pretty scruffy right now cos they are moulting and showing signs of rooster damage, but they will get over that and be beautiful again soon.
    • CommentTimeDec 28th, 2011 11:01pm (Dec 28th 2011)

Wow!! If Lux can bring your girls up so bright and white, I think I'll change to it in my clothes wash!

A question from someone who knows NOTHING about hens - does it not wash out their natural waterproofing?!
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 5:46am (Dec 29th 2011) edited

(Kate, chicken don't have any natural waterproofing..you're thinking of ducks and geese.):face-smile:

Welcome to the forum cyd..your birds are lovely!!!:welcome:
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 7:28am (Dec 29th 2011)

I guess it would clean off the natural oils but when I wash them for a show I keep them caged until after the show and by then their oils have come back with preening. Also I usually spray them with a human hair oil product which brings up a shine on the black birds.
    Have added a pic of my favourite mottle girl who is doing mother duties at the moment.
      pinkgirljuly09.JPG
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 2:50pm (Dec 29th 2011)

I thought all birds had oils in their feathers?
    Cyd, that mottled girlie is a beauty...:heart: Have they got names?
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 6:04pm (Dec 29th 2011) edited

Wow! We have a showman in our midst. Don't recall anyone else indulging in these high class activities.

You seem to put a lot of work into it too, Cyd.

Out of interest, here is a piece I copied down for my own (human) interest. You may know if it applies to the chickens and if it is of any consequence.

Beware Optical Brighteners: It is advisable not to use laundry detergents containing optical brighteners (sometimes labelled simply as 'brighteners') which cause clothes to absorb UV. This is released slowly to create the appearance of brightness and the UV is transferred to your skin.

Then comes the punch-line....

RIT wash-in Sunguard
    A revolutionary protective laundry additive. Sunguard penetrates the fibres of clothing when added to the normal load of washing, causing the material to absorb UV light rather than allowing it to pass through the fabric, thus blocking more than 96% of UV rays.
    Available from Suninsight. Greenleas, Bygrave Road, Baldock, Hertfordshire, SG7 5PS
    Tel: 0208 133 6198
    web: www.suninsight.com

Personally, I have my own opinion on UV rays.

My Mum used to show her Pekinese dogs, that was a very long time ago.
    • CommentAuthorSharon
    • CommentTimeDec 29th, 2011 8:55pm (Dec 29th 2011)

:iagree:Beautiful mottled girl !!!
    • CommentTimeDec 30th, 2011 12:15am (Dec 30th 2011)

I'd assumed all birds had a degree of waterproofing, otherwise they'd be dropping from the skies every time it rained (raining pigeons and starlings instead of cats and dogs!) but wasn't sure to what degree it was really needed in chickens that are pretty much sheltered from rain when they're in the indulgent homes they have on this forum! Your mottled girl is gorgeous and has better feathers than I have hair that's for sure!

Great post Ollie - nice of the scientific community to give mixed messages so that we have to try and work it out for ourselves!!
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeDec 31st, 2011 9:38pm (Dec 31st 2011)

Happy New Year to all. We have so much rain in the last few days my poor birds are sodden and bedraggled. Some have been sensible and found shelter but others just sit out in the rain. Duh.
    • CommentTimeJan 1st, 2012 1:04am (Jan 1st 2012)

How about knitting waterproof hen jumpers?
    Maybe with one of those hats that are a tiny brolly,:face-smile: as an accessory....
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 6:07am (Jan 3rd 2012)

Welcome to the forum Cyd, I am just over the Tasman from you in OZ. Don't have hens but love them and this forum is a great place for chat, hen helping or other wise. Love your pics.
    • CommentAuthorhenmum
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 6:09am (Jan 3rd 2012)

:face-monkey:Hi i am a newby , just thought i would drop you a line and say hi and tell you a bit about myself ,I am a mummy to 3 boys aged 11,7,5 and princess the cat and now 3 silkies that we bought yesterday .We are all really exited .

henmum:face-monkey:
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 6:18am (Jan 3rd 2012)

Welocme to the forum henmum, we are a lively friendly bunch with an interesting array of pets. Silkies, how lovely. We have a 20 year old Burmese cat who thinks he's a person:face-smile:
    Look forward to seeing some pics of you new girls. We love pics!
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 12:11pm (Jan 3rd 2012)

:welcome: henmum!

I would very much enjoy seeing pics of your silkies - if you need any help posting pics just let me know ;)

We have a 19 month old dog who thinks he's a...well, no, not human...more pillock really :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 5:19pm (Jan 3rd 2012)

Hello! Where are you from, Henmum? Have you seen the pics of Lynn's new silkie babies?:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 6:22pm (Jan 3rd 2012)

:welcome:Hi henmum Welcome to the forum. I too raise little Silkie chickens..great to see you have them also!!!! Aren't they just the sweetiest little things!
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 8:17pm (Jan 3rd 2012)

Hi ya Henmum great to have you on board we are a great bunch of human beings :face-smile:
      2569927262_e62e1659b7.jpg
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd, 2012 9:31pm (Jan 3rd 2012)

Hello henmum! Sounds like you have your hands full at home - what do the boys think of the hens? Bet they love 'em!! Welcome to the forum!!
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2012 6:09pm (Jan 4th 2012)

Hi Henmum, welcome it is nice to meet you.
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2012 7:13pm (Jan 4th 2012)

Hi and welcome Henmum. Hope your silkies are giving you wee presents each day...........arnt they wonderful girls to provide us with their precious protein produce.
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2012 7:56pm (Jan 4th 2012)

Hi there Cyd, so sorry I missed your posts, earlier. Welcome to Hencam, it is lovely to have you here with us. I haven't been about for a while so have a lot of back posts to read yet thats how come I missed you. Your girls are beautiful and what a good tip about using Lux flakes. I have done my hens in fairy (a mild dish washing soap) when they have needed a freshen up. How interesting that you show your birds. I bet they have won some awards they are lovely. I wouldn't mind one of the mottled hens she is lovely.
    I can remember my Mum using a Recketts blue bag in her final whites rinse years ago. I bet Ollie remembers those as well.
    • CommentTimeJan 4th, 2012 8:53pm (Jan 4th 2012)

I remember my mom using them NN - helping with the washing was one job I didn't mind doing as a child!!
    • CommentAuthorcyd
    • CommentTimeJan 7th, 2012 9:43pm (Jan 7th 2012)

Thanks Nanny North. You will all laugh when I tell you about my first experiment with whitening my white birds. I used a blue shampoo for horses, well it was a friend of mine actually. I left him to it and he tipped the shampoo directly on the birs, they wer BLE wyandottes for weeks, all thru the show season actually. Too funny, people walked past the cages and commented on the lovely rare lavendar wyandottes.........:face-angel: Suffice to say I took over bath time after that and now have a fool proof method!!!!!!!! Better not tell Bernie I called him a fool............lmao
    • CommentTimeJan 9th, 2012 1:08pm (Jan 9th 2012)

Ha, brilliant! :laugh:
    Morning everyone! I'm brand new to the site which I came across whilst trying to find a way of keeping one of my baldy ex batts cosy. I'll be getting my knitting needles at the ready later today. Thanks for such an entertaining site :-)
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 10:56am (Jan 14th 2012)

Welcome bean counter:welcome:
    we are a diverse lot here, funny friendly and full of good advice on everything from 'aardvarks to zebras' not just hens, although I think we all have a love of hens:milly_hen: even if we dont own some!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 10:56am (Jan 14th 2012)

Hi Dorset_Beancounter.

Welcome to the friendly world of Hencam where we put hens and the rest of the world to rights.
    Do join in some of the topics.
    Where are you situated?
    At the top of every page there is GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY so you can see where we are scattered over the globe.
    You may like to put your pin on too.

I am in Yorkshire, fairly close to Hencam HQ but don't have hens, I just come for the banter.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 10:51pm (Jan 14th 2012)

Is it too obvious to assume you're in Dorset? Or are you from Dorset?! Either way you are very welcome. We're a bit of a mad bunch, but we won't hurt you!! :wink:

Enjoy your knitting - hope your baldy hen appreciates it!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2012 11:29pm (Jan 14th 2012)

:welcome: Beancounter, good to see you here!
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2012 5:41am (Jan 15th 2012)

Welcome to the group, Beancounter! It's always nice to have new folks join in!:welcome:
    • CommentAuthormaryb
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 11:03am (Feb 3rd 2012)

Hi everyone,

I'm Mary from Devon. I'v got three hens Ella (Light Sussex) Blossom (Silver Sussex) and Treacle (Rhode Rock). Being new to all this (keeping hens) and not very good on the internet - please forgive me if I get things wrong. But I am looking forward to corresponding with like minded hennies.:face-smile: Please feel free to contact me and give me any advice on rearing hens.

Best regards Mary
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 5:45pm (Feb 3rd 2012)

You've done great on the forum so far Mary, :welcome: again :bigsmile:

I used to have a Light Sussex called Milly and she was the love of my life, everyone adored her. She died almost two years ago, it broke my heart but she had a great life.

This is Milly (as you wander around the forum you will notice my photos bob up everywhere :rolling: )

me and milly

Also, we do love to see pics of other people's chucks, so feel free to share if you want :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd, 2012 10:50pm (Feb 3rd 2012)

Welcome Maryb! You can't go wrong on this site - we're all mad as a box of frogs I think, and don't stay on topic for long, so just jump in and say whatever comes to mind. The more you do it, the better you'll get at it!
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2012 5:34am (Feb 4th 2012)

:welcome: Welcome Maryb, yes do join in the fun...it's always nice to meet new people.
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 12:44pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Hello all

My name is Karen, my user name is Kit. I have joined the forum today. I live in the UK in a small town called Mossley.

I've wanted to keep chickens for a long time and 2 weeks ago I bought 4 and then introduced another 2 chickens a week later.

They live in a 6ft high x 9 foot long hen house complete with run and during the day have access to my back garden, well, it doesn't look like a garden any more, more like a farm yard, all my plants have disappeared.:face-sad: But the weeds have gone too!:face-smile:

I hope to gain much information from all of you to help keep my ladies healthy and happy. Unfortunately, because I am new to this, I won't be able to give anybody any help, not in the immediate future anyway.

My girls are called, Elly, Cherry, Sandy, Ginger, Kitty and Lucy. They coo beautifully and Cherry actually sings. They make a right racket when laying an egg though.

Hope to get to know you

Karen (kit)
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 1:05pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Ahh, the big-egg song!!! (we always think it sounds like the hen is shouting/singing "Big Egg!!! Big Big Big EEEEGGGGG!!!")
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 1:34pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

:welcome: Karen!

Congrats on your new girls - yes, it doesn't take them long to destroy the greenery does it?! :laugh:

Nice to have you on-board :smile:
    • CommentAuthorKit
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 2:02pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Talking about the BIG EEEGGGG. One of my chickens laid an egg that was quite a lot bigger than any others that have been laid, I guess that must have hurt!

Red, your Milly looks the same as my Elly, such a beautiful girl and so friendly.

Karen
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 5:19pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Hello, Kit - Welcome to the hen/mad house!
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2012 11:02pm (Apr 3rd 2012)

Hi Kit, and welcome from me too! I don't have any hens so can't offer any advice ever!, but I enjoy the chat and banter with the others on here. It's a very small 'regular' community, but we always try to be friendly and welcoming and love to hear from new people about their pets and experiences. Oh, and photos are always popular too!!

Your girls sound delightful - I didn't realise a hen could sing! (I bet she's better than most of the X-Factor entrants!)
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 8:58am (Apr 4th 2012)

Hi All,

I'm Ian, Kits (Karen’s) better half (cant believe I was brave enough to type that!:face-smile:) I know Karen’s told you all about our Girls, Karen has nagged me for 20 years about keeping Hens and I finally gave in, I think it was the cattle prod that did it, and now we have them I think they’re great fun what they will make of the 2-3" of, and coming down hard, Snow I don’t know but being as stupid as they are they will probably stand in the snow storm and then come and look through the back door so we can see how sorry full:face-sad: they look.

Ian (zz9zzzalpha)
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 9:58am (Apr 4th 2012)

:welcome: Crikey Ian! Where did you get the zz0zzzalpha from? Makes me feel quite sleepy just reading it.
    Welcome to you both, and your girlies, to the forum.
    Like a few others on here, I don't have hens but appreciate the ethos they bring to this group. I have learned a new way of looking at life through the eyes of hens and the folks who possess them.
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 12:15pm (Apr 4th 2012)

:welcome: Ian, nice to have you here!

My girls hate snow. When they were free-range we used to have to clear pathways around the garden otherwise they'd refuse to walk anywhere!
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 5:48pm (Apr 4th 2012) edited

Mine hate it too; except, paradoxically, the one with feathery feet, and she went exploring as soon as she saw it. As for the 'better half' comment - dead meat! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 11:00pm (Apr 4th 2012)

I'll have to ask Karen for some nagging tips if it only took her 20 years to get you to agree to something. I don't think I've managed to nag my hubby into doing anything yet in 28 years of marriage!

It's great to have some new people on the forum - hope you'll stick around and join in with us other nutters, er I mean, members!
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 11:23pm (Apr 4th 2012)

Welcome Karen and Ian to the group!!

Kate I've got an Idea for you to try..get REALLY sick and scare your hubby to death..it worked for me.
    Donald said yesterday that I could have 2000 chickens if I wanted them and he'd build the pens!
    I had a small heart problem Sunday morning and spent Sunday and Monday in the hospital...he is so happy to have me alive he's willing to let me expand my Silkie population...(evil grin)..no I wouldn't take advantage of the poor guy (another evil grin):face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2012 11:31pm (Apr 4th 2012)

Oh no Lynn! Are you OK now? I hope when you get those extra silkies you'll be enlisting hubby to take care of them too! (Kate joins in with her own evil grin!) :face-devil-grin: