Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 10:47pm (May 30th 2010)

Oh, it was walking past the chicken factory in Cullingworth (the one Eva came from) and seeing the battery hens and the little broiler chicks going to slaughter that made him want to give up meat.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 5:16pm (May 31st 2010)

Well done, Lyle. You're a better man than I!
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 9:34pm (May 31st 2010)

Ditto CC. Well done that man!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 1:30am (Jun 1st 2010)

Especially because everyone has been ripping him to shreds and taking the micky out of him for going veggie, haha! :laugh:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 6:11pm (Jun 1st 2010)

i'm confused - I thought this was about cheese but seems to be about smells? I can't be bothered to read back so I will chuck in my tuppence worth on both subjects:

Cheese : anything that doesn't have varicose veins - favourites are a good strong chedder (Godminster), that soft one with walnuts on tops and good old edam.

Smells : worst smell in the world, durian fruit - no contest. best smells in the world, orange zest, cedar wood, freshly made bread and sun-dried laundry.
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 8:49pm (Jun 1st 2010)

You are right to be confused Volka.

Vicky seems to have done a runner and we have been taking it turns to set a subject, though no one has stepped forward yet this week.
    Any offers???

We don't know how to change the title like Vicky did, so that is stuck!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 10:22pm (Jun 1st 2010)

I think its only the person that starts the thread that can change the title.
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 11:24pm (Jun 1st 2010)

I can change it, if it's worth it...?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 8:14am (Jun 2nd 2010)

OK, someone need to pick the next asubject and maybe whisper it to Red to get the title changed.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 5:31pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

Go on then, Shobhna - you thought of it!
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2010 5:51pm (Jun 2nd 2010)

Shobna, You fell right into that trap!
    Go for it gal.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 8:22am (Jun 3rd 2010)

OK...
    next subject then:

Travel : Your favourite places.
    Places you have visited, places that hold a special place in our heart, places you will never forget...ever.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 9:35am (Jun 3rd 2010)

The New Forest we have been caravaning down there for 23 years now and we as a family love it the kids have all grown up going there to so they love to.
      000363_10fe4677.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 12:55pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

A month stay in Japan with a Japanese midwife's family. All Japanese style, sitting and sleeping on the floor - and the food - well that's a whole story. You never quite knew what you were eating but my oh my, it was OK.
    I was very impressed with the attitude the Japanese have of being so very accepting when I did something wrongly. They went to great lengths to see everthing was exactly right.
    The little bows were delightful. Yes, I learned chopsticks before I went, they were very impressed with that.
    I had to be careful not to enthuse too much over objects or you found they were yours - or even a new one if theirs had been slightly lacking. Refusal of a gift was very rude indeed.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 6:08pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

Home. :)
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 8:44pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

It's nice to go travelling.
    It so nice to roam.
    But it's so much nicer, oh, it's so much nicer, to come home.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 8:45pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

You beat me to it CC, that was going to be my answer too!

I really wish I had 'wanderlust' and in theory I do - I see places and think "oo, I'd love to go there" - but in reality I hate to be away from home.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2010 1:53pm (Jun 4th 2010)

I just love travelling. It most probably comes form my Mum and Dad, specially my Mum who gets the itches to travel every 6 months.
    The first time i travelled on my onw was when I was 7 or 8 years old. Dad put me on a flight from Mombasa in Kenya to Tanga in Tanganyika.

I think my travel lust started from there.
    My faviourite destinations are Kenya, America, Bali,Italy, Austria....I could carry on. apart from one holiday destination, I have loved every place I have been to.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 12:53am (Jun 5th 2010)

I like going to new places and stuff...but I never crave to go on holiday, or go somewhere different...favourite destination? I don't know. Everywhere I have been has been nice, but trying somewhere new would probably be awesome too.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 1:32am (Jun 5th 2010)

Favourite destination..... Hencam headquarters !!!, hehe. Coming in second place is China, I have been twice and will go again this year. It just so happens that I met a girl when I was first there, leading me to go back for a second look (at the scenery). She recently obtained her passport and appropriate visa, and spent 4 weeks with me here in Australia. I hope to make it back this year in time to see the world expo that is currently on in Shanghai.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 4:31pm (Jun 5th 2010)

How did she enjoy Australia, Trev?
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 11:39pm (Jun 5th 2010)

She loved it thanks CC.... she'll be back ! I will put some pics of Australia that I took being a tour guide somewhere, if I remember how.... can we still use photobucket ?
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 8:57am (Jun 6th 2010)

Yes dear you can, mumma.:_oops:
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 8:51pm (Jun 6th 2010)

I look forward to seeing your pictures Trev.

I love to travel anywhere, but it is nice to come home as was mentioned before.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 9:34am (Jun 14th 2010)

OK....
    The topic this week is:

Bridges and what you like about them...apart from the obvious: :bigsmile::bigsmile:
    Old and new...
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 8:32pm (Jun 14th 2010)

They know how to do bridges oop north. Saw the Humber Bridge last week - magnificent!
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 8:49pm (Jun 14th 2010)

Hub and I used to take regular trips to watch the Humber Bridge being built. It was quite amazing.

We also made trips (in a Bond 3 wheeler)to see an M1 motorway bridge being built. It was voted one of the top architectural achievements at the time.

Travelling to a conference in Bristol I suddenly came across the Clifton Bridge. It took my breath away - and I was driving!

The best of the lot is the little one in my garden. Bought very cheaply but now expensive as they have become popular. It took me a year to get it screwed together!
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 11:34pm (Jun 14th 2010)

bridges make pretty photos, like so...
      new23.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2010 11:36pm (Jun 14th 2010)

Because driving over Marlow suspension bridge means I'm home!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 8:35am (Jun 15th 2010)

CC, I was about to say that I too like the bridge at Marlow. I have happy memeories about Marlow and the bridge and the Complete Angler. :-)

Red, beautiful photo.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 9:07pm (Jun 15th 2010)

Posted By: Shobhna
    Red, beautiful photo.

Thank you! Another Manchester snapshot :)
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 8:56am (Jun 16th 2010)

The only bit I know of Manchester is Altrincham. Used to go to the Veg Soc quite foten.

Have driven thru the town centre a couple of times, usually looking for somewhere to park!!

Will be going to Tatton Park Flower Show in July and will have to drive thru or round Manchester because I have booked one of the hotels by the airport for the weekend.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:27pm (Jul 9th 2010)

I like this idea :cool:

1) I am an animal lover
    2) I am someone who has always wanted a dog
    3) I am someone who writes stories
    4) I am too scared to send them to a publisher!!
    5) I am in love
    6) I am enjoying being by the sea
    7) I am going to animal care today
    8) I am an owner of chickens
    9) I am a vegan
    10) I am patient with animals :P
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 12:34pm (Jul 9th 2010) edited

nice one Red.
    and thanks for changing the title.

basically it'd be interesting to see what we all identify ourselves by...
    as in 'I am a housewife, I am a gardener, ....guess you all know what I mean.

This was one of the questions that we did recently at a Self-Esteem course that I went to and it made me stop and think a bit. There are no wrong or right answers, it is just to give us all something to think about.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 6:57pm (Jul 9th 2010)

I am...
    a piano tuner
    musical
    slightly tiddly (Friday Ginnything...)
    happy
    fond of animals
    less fond of humans
    funny when the mood takes me
    bad tempered when the mood takes me
    scary when the mood takes me
    delighted to be scary!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 10:59pm (Jul 9th 2010) edited

This is difficult!

I am ...
    an animal lover
    a wife, mother and grandmother
    a good friend
    compassionate
    generous within my means
    watching TV
    overworked
    valued by my colleagues
    tired (edited at midnight, Saturday!)
    putting random comments that i can edit when I've thought a bit more!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2010 11:11pm (Jul 9th 2010)

I once did some kind of a workshop when I realised that I was not taking ANY time for ME...

I will come back to the "10 things" later, though didn't see the whole of the sentence.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2010 1:30pm (Jul 12th 2010)

very interesting. :-)

Yes, you are right Ollie, one of the things we all forget to do is to make "ME" time.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2010 6:56pm (Jul 13th 2010)

My list:-

I am..
    old
    cranky
    overweight
    often lethargic
    at times a little angry
    caring
    independent
    solitary
    I was once described as being "An introverted extrovert"
    But most of all I am ME
    and very happy...

:sun:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2010 1:28pm (Jul 14th 2010)

I love the ''introverted extrovert'' bit. That is just excellent.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2010 8:32pm (Sep 20th 2010)

I am:
    - happy with myself as a person
    - in a loving marriage
    - eventually best friends with my mother
    - getting quite good with chickens
    - a little sad because my dog is getting old but richer for having had him in my life
    - in a job I enjoy
    - live in a beautiful part of the world
    - still have a fire in my belly for the things/issues I care about
    - thankful for all the above because I know there are people worse off than me
    • CommentTimeSep 20th, 2010 9:33pm (Sep 20th 2010)

That is lovely Volka. I really like your list.

Where is Vicki? I wonder if we'll ever get a new subject?!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2010 12:49pm (Sep 21st 2010)

Kate, why don't you choose us the next subject?
    I have done a couple anyway.

Volka, love your I ams.....
    • CommentTimeSep 21st, 2010 9:47pm (Sep 21st 2010)

I tried to come up with something but couldn't think of anything. Anyone else ...?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2010 1:45pm (Sep 22nd 2010)

How about what you think and feel when the summer draws to an end and we look forward to autumn and winter.
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2010 6:37pm (Sep 22nd 2010)

HOORAY!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd, 2010 10:14pm (Sep 22nd 2010)

I hate being cold but I love downpours of rain and the beauty of snow.
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2010 6:37pm (Sep 23rd 2010)

Posted By: KatebThat is lovely Volka. I really like your list.

Where is Vicki? I wonder if we'll ever get a new subject?!

The horror of GCSE's have claimed her soul...
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2010 7:27pm (Sep 23rd 2010) edited

Blimey i am so glad i have left all that behind me a long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GCSE'S :_puke::ack2: Iam sorry but school did not like me and I did not like school!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2010 11:28pm (Sep 23rd 2010)

It was the teachers that didn't like me...*scowl*
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 29th, 2010 2:09pm (Sep 29th 2010)

Red, I had a couple of teachers that did not like me and because of that I ended up not liking the subject they taught.
    I do not like my Maths teacher to this day. :-)
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2010 1:24pm (Oct 22nd 2010)

My list:

I want to stroke a leopard, a tiger and a lion.
    I also want to cuddle an effalump.
    I want to touch a snake so I can get over that toe-curling feeling I get every time I see a snake.
    I want to swim with dolphins.
    I want to make eye contact with a whale.

I think my list could go on and on....:face-smile:
    and it is on my bucket list.

I have already tickled those huge tortoises under the chin and it's lovely the way they kind of rise up and push their head towards you for more. :face-smile: I'd have brought one home from Seychelles but I'd have been over my luggage allowance by many 100 kilos and my friend Sue would have been exasparated with me yet again for wanting to bring home strange and ususual items home in my suitcase. I have always told her that it is not my fault if things jump into my case before I close it:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2010 7:43pm (Oct 22nd 2010)

ummmm...

I can't think of anything :mouse:

Me and Lyle are both stumped :bigsmile:

Lyle's only contribution was he wants to ride a rhino :laugh:
    I'm gonna say, I want to take a pig for a walk :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2010 10:16pm (Oct 22nd 2010)

I have played with a tiger cub - it was when I was a small child (I suppose licencing laws were different then!) There was an empty shop in the town and a man brought his big cat cubs for people to meet. The bengal tiger cub put its paws on my shoulders and licked my hair. I would love to do that again, and spend time with any other big cat!

I have handled birds of prey too, which would've been another for the list but I can tick that off!

I'd like to feed and spend time with a giraffe. I'd like to ride a horse.
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 6:17pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

Jonny Depp...:tooth:
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 7:45pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

Posted By: chief chickenJonny Depp...:tooth:" aria-posinset="0" aria-setsize="0" hspace="0" alt=":tooth:" vspace="0" loop="1" src="http://www.hencam.co.uk/hencam_forum/extensions/Vanillacons/smilies/happy/tooth.gif" ismap="false" width="18" start="fileopen" height="18" />

he he CC

yes all of the above, I love animals, I would like to sit with a polar bear and cubs.
    I have swum, swam, swimmed with dolphins, amazing experience. Must find the photos.
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 8:38pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

an elephant for me and giraffe please !!
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 9:08pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

I once stroked a baby elephant, they have a lovely fine coat of fur - and sooooooo warm!

I adore giraffes. We were in South Africa with friends who had lived there for many years. We came across a group of giraffe and some were on the ground resting. Our host remarked that he had always thought they couldn't lie down and had to spend their lives on the hoof. We all learnt something new that day.

I stroked a baby lion on that same trip. It was a photographer in the street who took your (very expensive) picture with the cub.

My Dad caled rhinos "ten yards of lino".
    They look too huge and fearsome to me.

Dolphins are in my dreams....
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 9:11pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

Rats are in my dreams Ollie - had 3 dreams in the last week about them! (Pet ones, not wildies!)
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2010 10:34pm (Oct 23rd 2010)

I liked feeding giraffes apart from the one you had to watch out for that tried to head butt you - it smashed the keeper's jaw :mouse:

I've petted a rhino - I don't think it even felt it :tooth: And fed a tiger a chicken's foot (ew!) by hand, now THAT was terrifying!!

CC, I'm with ya there ;)
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2010 2:53am (Dec 12th 2010)

I decided to ask a random question...

Snow over rain, and favourite weather is when it's sunny but cold enough for frost and puddles to ice over...but not so that everything is covered in ice. I love those crisp autumn days when the leaves are all golden and red and everything is frosty and pretty C:
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2010 11:16am (Dec 12th 2010)

The answer to this depends on which side of the window you can be at.
    Outside in rain can be pretty miserable.
    Looking out at the pretty snow from a nice warm room is my choice
    :snowman:
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2010 2:15pm (Dec 12th 2010)

I like both, but snow stops me working.
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2010 10:16pm (Dec 12th 2010)

If I'm in the house I love both - the heavier the rain/snow the better. If I'm driving I prefer rain - snow is too dangerous. If I'm walking I prefer snow - so pretty.

Wonder how Vikki is doing?
    • CommentTimeDec 12th, 2010 11:09pm (Dec 12th 2010)

Good one Red, mice to have a topic agin.

eeerrr rain for me as I havent seen snow and it looks cold....he he he:face-plain:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2010 1:46pm (Dec 13th 2010)

I prefer rain if I had to choose.

I'm not meant to walk on snow..at all.
    My feet curl up when I see the kids sliding aobut on ice on the streets. Even thinking of it makes my feet go funny !!!:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2010 5:08pm (Dec 13th 2010)

Me and Lyle were both really shocked that you'd never experienced snow TM, and I don't even know why!! I guess it just seems odd when you've had it all your life...
    • CommentTimeDec 13th, 2010 10:17pm (Dec 13th 2010)

Yes, I thought that too Red! I think we just assume that everyone must've seen it at sometime in their life. Its like hedgehogs being protected in America, yet we run them over! And Aussies have to avoid kangaroos - big bigger than the poor little 'hogs!
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2010 3:56am (Dec 14th 2010)

You run over hedgehogs!!!! oh dem poor widdle fings. I just wuv them to bits.

Sorry but I found this clip yesterday. I know its not about the weather but it is wet...ha ha ha

I have gone a bit crazy watching clips lately, you probably wont want to watch all of it as the voices go on a bit but the little guy is so cute. I didnt know they could do this!!!!

• CommentTimeDec 14th, 2010 11:32am (Dec 14th 2010)

I found this video quite disturbing. My impression was of a small hedgehog trying to get out of this water. Then after a while became resigned to the fate awaiting and took up a position so the snout was free.

Maybe this interpretation was due to the memory of finding a hedghog that had not been able to get out of my garden pool. Fortunately, eventually, making a good recovery.

I did turn the sound off.
    • CommentTimeDec 14th, 2010 11:23pm (Dec 14th 2010)

Ooo, I didn't watch it after reading Ollie's comments - feeling a bit emotional tonight so I'd probably cry! We don't 'aim' to run them over (well, I don't anyway) but I see so many of them dead on the roads, its very sad.
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2010 2:13pm (Dec 15th 2010) edited

Red, I had never experienced any snow till the winter of 1969 and it was not like I had imagined it to be.
    In the comics (Dandy and Beano) that I used to read, it looked like cotton wool so I was rather shocked that it was cold and wet and brrrrrrr !!!!
    • CommentTimeDec 15th, 2010 2:25pm (Dec 15th 2010)

Haha, it seems very odd :bigsmile:

I've seen that video before. It angers me because of their voices, even with the sound off I know that they are still talking hahaha..."Oh look at youuuuu!" or whatever they say about 10x a second...

Cute hedgehog though.
    • CommentTimeDec 16th, 2010 9:35pm (Dec 16th 2010)

Poor little thing they need a good kick up the bum it isnt natural for them to be kept as pets and they are none to keen on water and certainly would not stay in it for that length of time. Still they sound rather inane repeating the same thing over and over.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th, 2010 7:40pm (Dec 18th 2010) edited

I have a splendid postcard of 2 hedgehogs in a car and the one in the passenger seat is twisted round and saying 'I think you ran over a person back there, dear...'
    • CommentTimeDec 19th, 2010 7:36pm (Dec 19th 2010)

Thats really good CC:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeDec 20th, 2010 5:37am (Dec 20th 2010)

Love it CC! I did wonder how they got to keep one as a pet.