Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeApr 15th, 2010 7:54pm (Apr 15th 2010)

Ha ha poor Red now she will be really worried and we are all agog to see the picture I think I have one of me with a baby duck somewhere I will see if I can dig it out.
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 12:30pm (Apr 16th 2010)

We went to our niece's 21st last night and my bro had found an excellent pic of Hannah and her friend, trolleys round their ankles on their potties, chatting away ten to the dozen. Spot the red face...particularly since her boyfriend hadn't seen that one before! :D
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2010 7:30pm (Apr 16th 2010)

Ha ha poor Hannah
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2010 9:07pm (May 7th 2010)

We bought a tomato plant today for 50p from Tesco, and the 'instructions' it comes with it are rubbish.

Can anyone help me out?

Does it need to stay indoors or outdoors? It's been out in the daylight and I've brought him in for the night - he's called Tabor :laugh:

We've repotted him and I staked him to some sticks to keep him upright. He has some food mixed in with his soil and has been watered.

Was just checking to see if anyone knew if he could survive outside or does he need keeping in until the weather warms up?

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorRonald
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 12:02am (May 8th 2010) edited

Most all fruit bearing plants need full sun light so your tomato plant should be placed outdoors and after any fear of frost that may damage or kill the plant. If you are going to keep it in a potted container make sure the pot is large enough to accompany the roots system. The pot size will depend on the size of the tomato plant, large fruit or cherry size tomatoes, as to the size of the container. Keep the plant well staked with some sort of ties and be sure the ties are not tight around the stems as to choke the pant as it grows. You may need to add more stakes as it grows to support the plant and keep the fruit off the ground. Watch for unwanted insects that can damage the plant and worms that will eat the fruit also birds and other critters, like rabbits, etc. If in a pot keep the soil damp but not overly wet as they don’t like wet feet as they say. Pinch off the lower sucker stems and suckers that grow between the main stems to promote better growth and increases more fruit.
    Good luck with it.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 2:21pm (May 8th 2010)

Thanks Ronald!

Okay, we'll keep Tabor indoors for the most part until the weather picks up again, and on sunny days he can go outside. He's on the living room window sill at the moment where he'll get most sunlight.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 2:23pm (May 8th 2010)

Me and Lyle have just had a brilliant time watching our little Choc Chip pootling about! We put this huge piece of lettuce in the other day (it was about 10cm long) and the greedy little guy hasn't half eaten a lot!

When you look at his shell you can see his new shell growth since being with us, and it's almost an inch long! He's not such a little guy anymore :laugh:

He just disappeared into his pot, decided he'd seen too much of us! :heart:
    • CommentAuthorRonald
    • CommentTimeMay 13th, 2010 12:31am (May 13th 2010)

Here is truly the best video ad that I've seen in a long time and a message that needs no words.
    This is the new "wear your seatbelt" ad in the UK started by a man that was not hired to do it, but because the cause is important to him, he came up with this idea, and now it's being hailed across the world as a Beautiful commercial. ...And now the video has gone "viral" - [which means, it has become so popular with the general public that people are forwarding it to friends/family on their own so quickly that it has spread all over the world in a very short time.]

• CommentTimeMay 13th, 2010 6:58am (May 13th 2010)

Thats Brilliant Ronald so simple and so meaningful!!
    • CommentTimeMay 13th, 2010 8:21pm (May 13th 2010)

That's fabulous Ronald, thank you for sharing it. It brought a tear to my eye - think I'll send it round my friends now.
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2010 9:32pm (May 14th 2010)

That is so nice Ronald thank you for posting it.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2010 12:29pm (May 16th 2010)

Thanks Ronald that is one powerful yet simple commercial.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 7:28am (May 17th 2010) edited

As i lifted the lid on Bab,s run this morning to change her water ad say good morning to her there was A frog in there with her :frog3:I gave him a prod to see if he was alive and he was!!!!!!!!!! so i scooped him up and put him in a more appropriate area.
    I know she is on her own for a now but a frog as a friend not quite Babs. :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 8:28am (May 17th 2010)

:frog2:
    I bet they were having a croaking good time till you turned up and evicted Babs's new friend.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 3:25pm (May 17th 2010)

It certainly was a strange site to see a chicken and a frog together !!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 5:32pm (May 17th 2010)

Chickens usually eat frogs.... :ack2:
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 6:51pm (May 17th 2010)

I must have saved it Red in the nick of time then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 7:32pm (May 17th 2010) edited

Yeah, my friend Anna used to have chickens, and hers pecked a hole in a frogs' back and it was still hopping around and everything :ack2:

Today I bought this really cool material...thing! You can use it as a bandana, balaclava, headband, wristband or a scraf! Totally awesome! So obviously we had to experiment...sadly you can't really tell the different styles in the pics, but they were good fun! :bigsmile:
      bandana2.jpg
      bandana.jpg
      bandana3.jpg
      bandana4.jpg
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2010 8:36pm (May 17th 2010)

Looks great fun to me Red my son has some of those he ware,s round his neck like the old type cowboys used to do.He is a skateboarder!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 8:05am (May 18th 2010)

Red, I have 2 or 3 of those.Some lovely patterns.
    It's a Buff.
    Used to use them a lot when I used to go as pillion passanger on a motorbike.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2010 1:08pm (May 18th 2010)

They are awesome. I've wanted one for a few years from Cold Spring Mills shop, and I went there yesterday with Lyle and though god I might as well buy one :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2010 8:15am (May 19th 2010)

The Buffs are not cheap, however, if you go to the BMF show or where ever they have bike shows then you will usually find a stall selling them. I was lucky, I got some for free because I used to work in the Media Office at the BMF show in the past years and the stall holders were always good to us.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2010 9:23pm (May 22nd 2010)

Two of our snails mated today, so hopefully we will have some little baby snails in anything up to a month!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 6:18am (May 23rd 2010)

:hurray::hurray:
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 2:51pm (May 23rd 2010) edited

Anyone see the Daily mail magazine yesterday? Some heartless cow called Julia Hollander? She killed her hen Ruby 'because it became clear that Ruby's egg production days were over'.
    I'm looking forward to Julia Hollander's menopause with interest...I wonder who'll wring HER neck? Form an orderly queue...
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 3:32pm (May 23rd 2010)

• CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 5:29pm (May 23rd 2010)

I am right up the front with you CC this woman clearly has no interest in Chickens other than the eggs should she be allowed to keep them?????????? thats the problem!!!!!!!:grrrrrr:
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 6:29pm (May 23rd 2010)

She would doubtless say we were sentimental. I prefer my way of living with animals...
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2010 9:58pm (May 23rd 2010)

Here Here :hurray:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 2:13am (May 24th 2010) edited

Posted By: StuartBetween me and my family we have about 20 buffs, I think we have become addicted. They are excellent in all weather and never without them when we are camping. I've included a link below - they ship worldwide too. Even my doggy has one.

Julie writes: Ha ha ha Stuart what a dill I am, at first I read this and thought you meant 'buffs' were your hens he he he and you even take them camping!!!!, oh the image it conjured up for me. I am still laughing.:rolling:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:21am (May 24th 2010)

:bigsmile:Trev's Mum...:bigsmile:

I like your imagination...specially the vision of Stuart'd dog having his own hen as well. :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:23am (May 24th 2010)

CC, I'm right behind Lee in the queue.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 10:11pm (May 24th 2010)

I have to admit TM, I did the same!!!!!! What a pair we are!
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 11:24pm (May 24th 2010)

I might be adopting an unwanted Chinese Dwarf hamster :001_smile:

Just waiting to get the A-OK from Lyle's landlady first... :whistling:
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 6:59am (May 25th 2010)

Thats lovely Red they are very cute!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 8:16am (May 25th 2010)

Chinese Dwarf Hamster..never heard of it. Just googled it and they are cute little animals. almost like a mouse but not quite. :-)

I think I will stick with the 8 legged web-making lodgers in my house for now. I did evict a couple of them on Sunday and evicted one yesterday and the little horror started to walk straight back to the back door as if he knew where he lived. I had to have sharp words with him.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 3:55pm (May 25th 2010)

Sounds lovely, Red!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 5:03pm (May 25th 2010)

...until it's hanging off the end of your finger by it's teeth!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 8:41pm (May 25th 2010)

Well don't poke yer fingers in where you dint orter! :D
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 11:57pm (May 25th 2010) edited

Posted By: neil...until it's hanging off the end of your finger by it's teeth!

Maybe, maybe not.

Their sort of not actually hamsters though. Like, they shouldn't actually be termed as a 'dwarf hamster' as they're actually closely related to mice. So I'm hoping for a good result! I loved my mice to bits but they were so unhealthy...
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 11:58pm (May 25th 2010)

Lyle's landlady said yes! Should be getting one quite soon, in about a week's time :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 1:53am (May 26th 2010)

Hooray! More beasties to watch!:cheer::woohoo:
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 8:30pm (May 26th 2010)

• CommentTimeMay 27th, 2010 2:51pm (May 27th 2010)

Oh well done thats good news and of course we will need pictures as Kate said.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd, 2010 9:25pm (Jun 3rd 2010)

I made a comment a little while ago about coming back in my next life as an eagle.
    A tv prog I am watching right now has a Golden Eagle on a chap's arm.
    He lets her fly and she takes tiny cameras so we can see just what I relish.
    Will it happen?....
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2010 7:52am (Jun 4th 2010)

Who Know,s Ollie lovely thought though :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 4th, 2010 8:01am (Jun 4th 2010)

Wow...to come back as an eagle and to be able to fly high and free !!! What a lovely thought.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 12:37am (Jun 5th 2010)

Posted By: KatebHooray for Lyle's landlady! What a star!!! Don't forget to post pictures when the little thing arrives!

I need to get my camera or even just A camera so I can take pics, Kate!!!

My parents have supposed to have come visit me several times but keep not turning up, so I'm still waiting for my laptop and camera to be brought up...there's no other way to take a pic of our little beauty!
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2010 11:57pm (Jun 5th 2010)

You turned us down last weekend, Scarlet. We were ready to come down. :-/
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 1:35am (Jun 6th 2010) edited

No way! Are you referring to the Saturday when you offered to drive up, pick some of my things up to take home, then drive straight back so that you didn't miss a cricket match?? That's not really spending a time with me, is it?

And there was no point you driving all that way if you weren't staying, because I don't need things taking back...I'm staying here for the summer.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2010 8:24am (Jun 6th 2010)

Hmm... well we both miss you loads and hope you do make it up next weekend, would be good to spend some quality time with you, and maybe a family bbq or something (that sounds like we are cannibals!)

Joe is excited about you visiting to see the lamb, I have a vid to upload to youtube.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 9:09pm (Jun 15th 2010) edited

I emailed the RSPCA today to ask where I should email complaints about animal cruelty / neglect / abuse regarding two pet shops. Just waiting for a reply, then I'm really gonna let them have it... :whistle:

One was in Morecambe, where adult syrians were kept together. They fought constantly; they were perfectly handle-able by humans (the owner proved that) but fought each other, as is their nature. Nearly all were covered in blood. Some stupid ignorant people actually bought one of the bloodied syrians while we were there - are people really that stupid?! And they laughed when the guy called the hamsters stupid for fighting...

That pet shop also kept birds in horrible small cages, and had quails at the back of the shop. Many had bald bloodied heads, and yet all were so lovely, friendly and wanting attention. It was so sad.

The second pet shop is one in Bradford, which has needed a re-vamp for years. But my god it's got worse in the past year or so. Mice and rats are housed together, regardless of sex, and as a result there are many pregnancies and births and all are inbred and unhealthy.

One rat had managed to snaffle an empty glass jar to use as a nest for her very newborn litter (eyes not opened, about 2 days old if that) But because she was in the cage with other rats, they were stealing her newborn pups and eating them. She was very stressed out and trying to get them back, but there were three other adult rats in the cage who were getting her babies and eating them. One rat was eating a half-devoured pup when we arrived.

There were also tortoises kept in a horrifying cage; the heatmat was old, covered in excrement, and not even flat on the ground. It was bent and raised like a bumperslide so the tortoises had no choice but to go underneath it. Their water was filthy and there was no covering on the floor.

Then, the thing that upset me most, were these two guinea pigs in what was designed as a ferret cage (and a fairly decent one too) It's several feet high (maybe three feet) , with branches and stuff to climb...but the floor space was approx 30cm x 20cm, and bearing in mind guinea pigs can't climb or anything, there were two adult guinea pigs crammed in there unable to move...TWO adult guinea pigs!!

That place is getting shut down, or improved at least :mad:
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2010 9:36pm (Jun 15th 2010)

I think you should phone the RSPCA and insist on speaking to someone as a matter of urgency. What terrible things to witness. I know how protective rats are of their babies, and a rat will kill a mouse - they may look similar but they are different. I suspect the shop don't care about the other rats eating the babies as they don't really want the hassle of separating the mom and babies and then having to house the babies when they're 6wks old.

Good luck with getting something done about both shops - as usual let us know what happens.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 7:33am (Jun 16th 2010) edited

This is horrendous Red I didn't think in this day and age this still went on !! and this is just 2 shops in the whole of the UK !! perhaps there should be some sort of pet license you should have or shops checked regularly to make sure they come up to scratch like health and safety in the work place.
    Good look with what you are doing.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 8:06am (Jun 16th 2010)

Red, that is horrendous. Did you take any photos and were the shop owners being difficult?
    I bet they are aware of what they are doing and could not care less, in which case, having their business closed down is the best thing that can happen to them.

Let us know how you get on.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 9:45am (Jun 16th 2010)

Did you actually tell them about the rats or 'pigs?

I know they should/must be aware, but if someone actually mentions it to them it might kick them into action.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2010 5:19pm (Jun 16th 2010)

Best left to the RSPCA...they warn the owners that they will be keeping an eye out, and drop in unannounced which keeps them on their toes. And I don'r suppose they'd take any notice of a student and could even get nasty with her.
    Just ring 'em up, Red.
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2010 10:38pm (Jun 19th 2010) edited

Hedgehog Large

This is our new lodger, scared the life out of me in the out house this evening as I was getting something out of the freezer. Heard a noise behind me and thought I might turn round to see a small rodent or such like but it turned out to be a rather scared looking prickly creature in the form of a hedgehog, making his way into where I keep some hay! As you can see he is eating his way through some tasty catfood and mealworms. We will have to try to entice him back out into the garden over the next few days.:smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2010 1:58am (Jun 20th 2010)

Awww bless him!
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2010 8:00am (Jun 20th 2010)

i love hedgehogs :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2010 10:00pm (Jun 20th 2010)

Me too Lee - bloomin noisy eaters though!!
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2010 10:00pm (Jun 20th 2010)

Lee - how did you post a message at 8am? Weren't you at Silverstone this morning?!
    • CommentTimeJun 21st, 2010 10:17pm (Jun 21st 2010)

Yes Kate i was at Silverstone I thought that might get you i had just woken up in our tent I have Internet on my phone Kate so you see i can view Hencam from ware ever i am great is ant it!!!!! :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd, 2010 9:11pm (Jun 22nd 2010)

Ah, never thought of that!!! Good to see you get your priorities right!!
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 10:02pm (Jun 23rd 2010) edited

Seen - or not seen - something interesting?

Where has Mel got to?
    I spend a lot of my evening time looking at that bare coop floor.

Where are you Mel?

I miss you!:mouse2:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2010 11:14pm (Jun 23rd 2010)

Sorry to say but hopefully she's moved on to more plentiful pastures - we had to buy new feeders to get the food out of reach as it's not the best having rodents eating and crapping in your pet's food...

We couldn't really risk them bringing disease into the coop, so the food source was removed so hopefully they just went somewhere else.

I can go out and do a jig in front of the cam if you like! :) Probably more interesting watching the floor though...
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 12:46pm (Jun 24th 2010)

You could do a "Calendar" girls/boys thing and reveal your delicate ankle with tatoo while we all swoon.
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 4:54pm (Jun 24th 2010)

swooning from illness, I couldn't inflict that on you all!
    • CommentTimeJun 24th, 2010 11:27pm (Jun 24th 2010) edited

Removing the food source so that she moves is much kinder than putting a trap down! It was fun trying to spot her though, especially for those of us who don't get to watch when the girls are up and about.

Is that Neil's fandango I can see? :wink:
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 6:11pm (Jun 25th 2010)

Posted By: KatebIs that Neil's fandango I can see?

Ooo, my word...!
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2010 10:35pm (Jun 25th 2010)

We'd need HD cameras for that...
    • CommentAuthorchicken mama
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 11:26pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

Hi just browsing the site and saw chief chickens comment back in May....I just laughed out load
    • CommentAuthorchicken mama
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2010 11:27pm (Jul 2nd 2010)

or loud. I am tireed it's been a long day
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2010 10:08am (Jul 3rd 2010)

Hi there, chicken mama.
    Welcome. It must be quite an experience to read through all the posts on here!
    A veritable book. Now where have I heard reference to "a book" before?

Most of us here are in UK but we do have a number of overseas addicts too. Look at the top of the page to "Googlemapdirectory" and you will see where we live.
    You might like to add your location too.
    Enjoy your stay, we tend to chat about "Non-chicken" stuff too.Often...
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2010 6:12pm (Jul 3rd 2010)

To be fair, we only occasionally chat about chickens. Mostly it's affairs of international importance. Like Kate's Blanket.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2010 9:08pm (Jul 3rd 2010)

... that i STILL haven't got any material to back it with! Why is it so hard to find material nowadays?
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 1:50pm (Jul 4th 2010)

What are you after, Kate?
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2010 10:45pm (Jul 4th 2010)

That's the million dollar question! Either some red and orange gingham (small check) or, I saw a little toy rabbit in gingham pyjamas that looked like they were 'aged'. It was blue and cream but faded and very soft. I am going to have to go into Birmingham - I hate going there!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 11:05am (Jul 15th 2010)

I am astounded!
    Sat here for an hour gawking at these amazing scenes. Wish there was more information on exactly what we are monitoring. I'll have a browse later and see if I can find anything.

But housework beckons... it can beckon as much as it wants, I am having a coffee first. :coffee:
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 7:24pm (Jul 15th 2010)

Yes, I looked at them too. Some of them are so clear!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 8:36pm (Jul 15th 2010)

Another "spot" for tonight is the prog about hens on tv.
    Seems they use left eye to hunt for food while the right watches out for predators.
    They had a hawk of some kind there and the cocks gave the alarm so the hens shot away under shrubs etc.
    None of then were fooled by the stuffed fox on rails running about!
    Though the previous shot was a fox getting under the netting and into the coop with a huge flurry of feathers and the fox running away with its booty.
    Now to the history of hens since WW11.... gggghhh :shocked:

Just to soften the blow a bit about rescue hens. :jumping:

I thought you weren't supposed to hold them upsidedown?
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 10:30pm (Jul 15th 2010)

Posted By: ollie in UKI went onto the suggested site belonging to BP that Neil wrote about in his blog.

I am astounded!

I thought so too - a big thanks to Ron...

Posted By: ollie in UKI thought you weren't supposed to hold them upsidedown?

I don't think it does any lasting damage, but they don't like it and it's not a very nice thing to do to them.
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 10:55pm (Jul 15th 2010) edited

I am just glued to the BP underwater site.

15 cameras showing just what is going on down there!
    Watching a ROV pick up stuff, plug in things, detach things.. WOW.

I had a good laugh when it seems that a ROV that we are "in" seems to have a drawer in his chest just like that Wallace and Grommit petrol pump on the moon!
    :rollonfloorlaughing:
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2010 10:56pm (Jul 15th 2010)

I saw Volka's thread about it earlier and caught the last half hour. It was very interesting and I think (the bit I saw at least!) has done great things for the cause of hens. You've all been proved right about their intelligence!

Maybe, because they were caged birds who've never been handled and time is of the essence, it is easier to hold them upside down to confuse them a little, long enough to get them to the transport cages. Short term pain for long term gain. They were very well feathered I thought.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2010 12:23pm (Jul 16th 2010)

Sometimes holding them upside-down can cause their lungs to flood, but it's quite rare and they usually just hate it!

Often when people who work in extensive chicken farms have to collect thousands of chickens as quickly as possible to send them to slaughter, they will grab as many as they can in each hand, by the legs, and cram them into the boxes, and that often results in broken legs.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2010 10:14pm (Jul 16th 2010)

• CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 6:28am (Jul 17th 2010)

That was me Kate along with a steady flow of people!!
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 5:56pm (Jul 17th 2010)

I wondered if it was! Did you watch with extra interest to see where they'd come from originally and what conditions they were in?
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 7:28pm (Jul 17th 2010)

They do not tell you at all where they are from Kate and you can see from looking at these poor Girls that conditions are not good.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 10:41pm (Jul 17th 2010)

When is the cage ban coming in? I thought it had already happened but obviously not.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2010 11:43pm (Jul 17th 2010)

It takes several years to phase them out, 2012 is the aim...

And they usually are a lot more careful with the animals when on TV, like that ridiculous program Kill It Cook It Eat It which is so false it is unreal...
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2010 4:09pm (Jul 18th 2010)

I haven't seen that programme. Thankfully...
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2010 9:22pm (Jul 18th 2010)

I avoided it - the title put me off.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2010 11:40pm (Jul 21st 2010) edited

Posted By: KatebThey seemed to be quite careful with them on the programme, and the only time they had them upside down was when taking them from the battery cages. She seemed to have a constant stream of people coming to collect them to re-home. I thought of Lee when I saw that!

Before watching the program; I'd assumed it was people taking the chickens to slaughter who had been filmed on the BBC programme, but it wasn't it was the BHWT woman and the presenter guy...makes a bit more sense why they were so careful now :smile:

I found some of the programme really fascinating - that test those students did with the chickens and the paper shapes, wow they sure picked that up fast! When it showed the clips of the chicks going into commercial farms i thought that was so sad; with them going along on a conveyor belt and being dropped and snatched up...

Loved the rooster who was rescued from a batter farm too!!

I thought some of the programme was a bit basic and repetative; they spent a lot of time going over the pecking order and how hens were violent to each other! Same with the danger calls.

I loved the bit with the stuffed fox though and how the chickens weren't fooled!

I thought that it was a very interesting programme, and it had some really interesting bits. All the chickens were lovely too!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2010 10:20pm (Jul 22nd 2010)

• CommentTimeJul 25th, 2010 10:58pm (Jul 25th 2010)

I am eternally grateful for the link to the Gulf Well underwater events.
    I have been glued to my laptop much more than ever before.
    The amazing live scenes from the bottom of the sea. Fifteen cameras!
    The threatened storm and partial evacuation, now the threat is waning and operations are resuming.

It's going to be enthrallng to see how the well is finally plugged and sealed.
    What an education!
    :interesting:

Thank you so much for the link.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 8:20pm (Jul 26th 2010)

Posted By: KatebI don't think an hour allowed them to do it justice. They could make a whole series out of it! At first I thought the chickens would be getting the mealworms by smell or something, but they don't seem to eat like that - watching hencam they seem to peck at everything and anything! So it was great to see that they did learn and really could do it.

Chickens aren't like dogs or cats in that respect at all and don't use their sense of smell for much really, they can smell pretty much the same as we can. Their eyesight is much more crucial to them.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 8:56pm (Jul 26th 2010) edited

I just remembered something I wanted to tell you all.
    I was doing some weeding in the garden last week and Goldie was being more than helpfull. She loves the wheelbarrow and trotted up to the veg garden beside it and waited patiently outside the gate while I emptied the weeds into the composter, then trotted back to where we were working. On the third visit to the composter I took the wheelbarrow into the veg garden and she popped up from underneath the barrow and shot off under the runner bean arch. Little weasel she had done a cockle shell hero on me and walked in under the barrow behind the wheel. Now tell me that hens are not intelligent. She had worked that all out by herself.....it took me ages to get her out as well !!!
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2010 10:13pm (Jul 26th 2010)

Thanks for that Red - it makes the experiment even more interesting!

And isn't Goldie a star!!! I hope she managed to grab herself a treat or 2 while she was in there. She deserved it!
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2010 7:25pm (Jul 27th 2010)

I love Goldie's trick, NN! You ought to restrict their warfilm viewing if you ask me. Have they asked for a wooden vaulting horse in their run...?