Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2009 12:18pm (Jan 17th 2009)

Aha, the mythical Luke. (I don't think you've been on hencam since I signed up, but you've been mentioned a few times.)
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2009 12:26pm (Jan 17th 2009)

Hi Victoria, you are right, I don't think we have met?
    Hi!
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2009 7:24pm (Jan 17th 2009) edited

Saturday again...

You lot all off on jollifications with family and friends.

But, this is when I withdraw from my daughter and family to give them space to themselves.
    (Remember I see them every day doing 'after school' duties)

I don't mind at all - I do like my own company. Though a few days on my own does make me reflect on this.

Of course emus and yellphone do punctuate the weekend. Tho' I don't do texting... = silly old biddy! - would that be SOB ?
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2009 9:56pm (Jan 17th 2009)

I don't text either, Ollie...I need a brat to teach me, i think! :D
    • CommentTimeJan 17th, 2009 10:06pm (Jan 17th 2009)

I can do it OK and reception is good, it's my very old phone that doesn't like to send them!
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 3:53am (Jan 18th 2009)

I'm aloooone...apart from 3 guests :confused:
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 6:54am (Jan 18th 2009)

Now I'm all alooone..just one guest..I think it's probably a bot and not a real person.
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 4:09pm (Jan 18th 2009)

I am so bored bored bored...
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 4:15pm (Jan 18th 2009) edited

Hmmm okay this is my seen exam question:

"Why was the 1870 Education Act introduced? Why did it not establish
    a uniform system of elementary education?"

What does a 'uniform system' mean? As in the same style / system of education everywhere? :confused:
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 9:13pm (Jan 18th 2009)

'To learn people stuff...because it didn't feel like it...wearing the same stuff as everyone else in the skool'.
    Job done.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 9:22pm (Jan 18th 2009)

I bet Red spent ages slaving over that exam question, and now you've answered it in a way so concise and to the point that she'll have to rewrite the whole thing.
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 11:36pm (Jan 18th 2009)

You said it>

"What does a 'uniform system' mean? As in the same style / system of education everywhere?"

That's right...
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 2:43pm (Jan 19th 2009)

Hahahaha thanks CC ;)

Posted By: ollie in UKYou said it>

That's right...

Thank you Ollie! :whorship: :)
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 1:43am (Jan 20th 2009)

The cleaner was supposed to be coming in tomorrow, but i've left her a note asking her not to because i have an exam and could do with a few hours extra kip...means my room won't be vacked for another two weeks, but oh well! I really am shattered, but shall just do a little more revision then it's sleep until 10:30!!
    • CommentAuthorbockbock
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2009 3:31pm (Feb 4th 2009)

hi do you like pasta yes i love pasta
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2009 3:47pm (Feb 4th 2009)

:hungry: I made veg and pasta bake with vegan cheese on top the other night. I like pasta too :hungry:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2009 5:42pm (Feb 4th 2009)

mmm i like pasta a LOT! :hungry:
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th, 2009 8:29pm (Feb 4th 2009)

Posted By: bockbockhi do you like pasta yes i love pasta

Marvellous to see that the newest hencam member is already talking to his/her self here!

I like pasta too. Perhaps Vicki could have 'favourite shape of pasta' as her next random discussion?
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 12:10am (Feb 5th 2009)

No - i can't stand pasta!
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 1:02am (Feb 5th 2009)

:o
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 4:58am (Feb 5th 2009)

Posted By: KatebNo - i can't stand pasta!

WHAT!!!:gasp:
    OMG!!! Kate YOU CANT STAND PASTA.
    I am stunbobulated!!!
    You poor darling you dont know what you are missing, it is so yummy and convenient and reallly great for vegetarians too. There are sooooooooooo many different types of pasta and sauces and all that garlic and the pesto one and the tomato one I make and the cheese and fresh herbs and the chocolate one.......just kiddin'

Actually Red said it all with her icon above. LOL.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 10:03am (Feb 5th 2009)

Just started to make own pasta. (occasionally)
    Not my fave food but family eats lots.
    Bought a machine now, though not given it a try yet, will do that in school hols, should be fun!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 1:58pm (Feb 5th 2009)

We used to make egg pasta when we were kids. Great fun! Put a pile of flour on a board, make a well in the center and drop some eggs in the well and then carefully cover the eggs with flour..then smoosh it up with your hands. The dough sticks to the ends of your fingers and makes them heavy..odd sensation.

Then you use the machine to stretch out the dough.. slowly making it thinner and thinner.

Then you get to use the various pasta attachments! I used to be able to make the dough about 5ft long using the machine.

Ahh the memories...

I've got a "Win this Pink pack" ad. A pink laptop,camera and MP3 player....pink isn't my colour though (blue or green would do).
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 4:52pm (Feb 5th 2009)

Posted by Jonny Put a pile of flour on a board, make a well in the center and drop some eggs in the well and then carefully cover the eggs with flour..then smoosh it up with your hands. The dough sticks to the ends of your fingers and makes them heavy..odd sensation.

OR...you could buy some...:\ :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:10pm (Feb 5th 2009)

CC, some of us like to get back to our roots.. Consider it a challenge.

Anyway it reduces the additives, though ingredients can just as easily have them in too....
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:21pm (Feb 5th 2009)

CC: Its not NEARLY as good as fresh. :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:48pm (Feb 5th 2009)

My supermarket does have 'fresh' but I don't know how fresh it is, it is much better than the dried.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:53pm (Feb 5th 2009) edited

Posted By: JonnyCC: Its not NEARLY as good as fresh.

No, but you don't end up weeping softly into a glass of Chablis while your long-suffering spouse trots down to the takeaway, pausing briefly at the chemists for tranquilisers.

Or is that just me...? :D
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:55pm (Feb 5th 2009)

Hee-hee... :rofl:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 5:57pm (Feb 5th 2009)

Ollie: We have that here too...too expensive though.

Making your own is SOOO cheap...but it requires work...which I'm not currently in the state for...for the last couple of years....

I'm getting sick of microwaveable dinners (which are surprisingly good these days).
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 6:01pm (Feb 5th 2009)

Posted By: Jonny

I call that 'nuketrition'...
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 7:38pm (Feb 5th 2009)

• CommentTimeFeb 5th, 2009 8:04pm (Feb 5th 2009)

I don't like pasta and i don't like cooked tomato either. Hubby loves spag bol, and I love the smell, but I hate the feel of the pasta in my mouth and don't like sauces.

Posted By: VictoriaI just had spaghetti. With a sauce I made myself. Eaten out of the pan to save washing up. Hmm...*nervous laugh*...probably shouldn't have disclosed the last bit. Mm. Ha. Hmm.

I think that's a great idea! We should all do that more often to reduce the burden on my washing up gloves!
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2009 2:55pm (Feb 6th 2009)

Victoria, you're a STUDENT!!!
    We all do that :D

My friend is bringing a breadmaker back...can't wait to see what monstrosities we make with that!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2009 8:21pm (Feb 6th 2009) edited

A breadmaker, now that is really handy Red, we have one, you can actually make pasta dough in them too which we have done in a very short time then run it through the machine same as Jonny described.

We had a pasta party and all stood around in our kitchen drinking and making the dough and drinking then hanging the pasta strips over the clothes horse then drinking and eating and we had a little drink and then we cooked it while drinking and then we heated the sauce while having a drink , then we all had a drink while we poured a drink and ate it ALL up.

After all that work we were so tired we sat down and had a drink.:drunk:

OR you could just use the thingy to bake bread or fruit loaf or dough for rolls or easter buns or coffee scrolls or.....:blahblahblah:
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th, 2009 10:48pm (Feb 6th 2009)

Gosh Julie, I really do wish you lived in walking distance from me - which right now is about ten feet! Hic!
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 1:47am (Feb 7th 2009)

I hope we can find a recipe that works and we can actually make a successful loaf - my dad says every recipe turns out different in different types of breadmakers...and you need to find one that works for your breadmaker! :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 4:43am (Feb 7th 2009) edited

Red if you don't have the original instruction book ( botheration) let me know which brand it is when it arrives just in case it's similar and I can post a recipe for you. Mine is a.......(runs to check) Breville and it's at least 5 yrs old.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 6:50am (Feb 7th 2009)

I have to agree that fresh is so much better!
    i used to let my kids help make it ! It was a mess in the end, but they learned about life and cooking and it turned in to a memory of a life time.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 10:15am (Feb 7th 2009)

I have not managed a 'decent' loaf from my bread maker (now bannished to garage but considering a repreive)
    My next door does the cooking bit in her real oven to get a better result.
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 12:08pm (Feb 7th 2009)

Okay Frogdust, i will :)

It took my dad ages (as in months, making bread probably several times a week and using a different recipe every time) to find a recipe that worked for his - you should have seen the loaves of bread we were forced to eat until it finally started working! :D
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th, 2009 3:25pm (Feb 7th 2009)

...or you could go down the shop and BUY some...:\
    I was raised on home-made bread (originally because of the bread strikes in the 70s), and my mum used to get sooooooooooo cross when I came home from a friend's house because when she asked me how it was I replied 'Brilliant; we had REAL SLICED BREAD!!'
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 3:23am (Feb 8th 2009)

Yeah, but think of all the rubbish there is in bread today...preservatives, E numbers...even the 'healthy' stuff isn't with the amount of salt etc in there :ack2:
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 2:32pm (Feb 8th 2009)

Think of fresh bread with buttter and home-made jammmmmmmmmmmmm.....
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 8:54pm (Feb 8th 2009)

We had crumpets toasted over the fire with butter and jam yesterday. I hadn't had a crumpet for at least 10 years. Strange things, crumpets.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 2:12am (Feb 9th 2009)

Mmmm..crumpet and butter and jam. Scones and jam and butter...mmmm.

Jonny has to go back to work tomorrow (bus strike over)... :(
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 7:09pm (Feb 9th 2009)

Muffins toasted by the fire. Mmmm....
    (PROPER muffins, of course, not those overgrown merkin fairy cakes on steroids!)
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 7:24pm (Feb 9th 2009)

Toasted teacakes are good (proper fruity teacakes not Oop North bread bun 'teacakes', or chocolate coated marshmallow 'teacakes' which would go all sludgy when toasted.)
    And toasted hot cross buns (in the shops already even though it's over a month 'til Easter).
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2009 1:53am (Feb 24th 2009)

A cow stands up and sits down about 14 times a day.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2009 7:33pm (Feb 24th 2009)

Eh?

Is this based on extensive research of your own, Red? Been spending your weekends sitting in a field with a clipboard and a thermos of soup?
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 12:48am (Feb 25th 2009) edited

Indeed ;)

Nah, just one of those random useless facts that seem to refuse to leave my brain...like the fact pigs can't look up :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:41pm (Feb 26th 2009) edited

Can't look up what?....their friend's phone number, an address, a random fact??:040:
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 2:43pm (Feb 26th 2009)

No just...can't look up, as in look up at the sky!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 8:49pm (Feb 26th 2009)

What is the pig looking for in the sky?

Truffles are in the ground.
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 10:06pm (Feb 26th 2009)

:040:The pig is looking up into the sky to see if it is falling because he saw Henny Penny and she told him 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.:milly_hen:

Turns out it was just an acorn.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 1:06am (Feb 27th 2009)

watching cows is like watching the grass grow. LOL or paint dry !
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 6:34pm (Feb 27th 2009)

Exactamondo ;)
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 7:25pm (Feb 27th 2009)

The last cows I saw were following my dad and I as we walked through their field. Two of them were Highland cows, the big fluffy orangey ones with horns as long as my arms. It was a bit scary, even though they clearly wanted to be friends rather than trample us to death.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 7:52pm (Feb 27th 2009)

I like cows. Some of my best friends are cows...:D
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 8:32pm (Feb 27th 2009)

CC. You say the cutest things....
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 10:19pm (Feb 27th 2009)

Danny was chased by a bull because he moo'd at one of the cows. Wonder what he had said?!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:47pm (Feb 28th 2009)

The bull was probably bellowing 'Oi, you talking to my bird??'
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 12:17am (Mar 1st 2009)

Or maybe "did you just call my wife a cow?"
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 12:59am (Mar 1st 2009)

:rofl:...ohh Kate...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 1:21pm (Mar 1st 2009)

:iagree: That is way too funny! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 10:00pm (Mar 4th 2009)

Black screen so every body hops it and watches television instead!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 5:39am (Mar 5th 2009)

:icon_heart: Kate- May be he just propositioned the bull's girl friend when he "Moooooed" at her!:loco:(giggle!)
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 12:11am (Mar 6th 2009)

That's what we thought too. Or challenged him to be top-bull! Either way I've never seen my son move (or should that be moooo-ve!) so fast!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 4:03am (Mar 6th 2009)

:shocked: yes i can well imadgine!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 7:00pm (Mar 6th 2009)

Perhaps the bull was just mooedy...
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 11:03pm (Mar 6th 2009)

[groan!!!!]

and was talking a load of old bull?
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 5:56am (Mar 7th 2009)

:nicegrouphug: LOL! this is great ! I love playing around like this ! some times life gets too serious.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 5:59pm (Mar 7th 2009)

Not at Hencam it doesn't! Well, not often, anyway!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 10:06pm (Mar 7th 2009)

good ! That is what I like about it !
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2009 4:43pm (Mar 8th 2009)

Jonny is tired...and 1 hour closer to Hencam! (DST came into effect)
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2009 5:47pm (Mar 8th 2009)

Oo, I HATE it when the clocks go forward. An hour less sleep and closer to being too hot...:(
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2009 11:51pm (Mar 8th 2009)

I forgot about that - when does it happen here in the UK?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 9:07am (Mar 9th 2009)

I think it's on the 29th March. ;)
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 5:22pm (Mar 9th 2009)

Booo...:(
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 10:30pm (Mar 9th 2009)

Wooopeeee!!!!!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 10:55pm (Mar 9th 2009)

:iagree: The sooner it gets hotter and stays lighter for longer then i'm gonna be happy! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 11:00pm (Mar 9th 2009)

But its an hour less in bed!!! I need my beauty sleep - just ask my hubby!! LOL!! ;)
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2009 12:01am (Mar 10th 2009)

Its odd because we switched because of the 'mericans...now its dark again in the morning...sigh!

I read somewhere that the new DST ( in NA ) rules are saving 0.5% in electricity (over all).
    • CommentTimeMar 10th, 2009 5:12pm (Mar 10th 2009)

If they let me sleep longer, :night_moon:I'd stay in bed and not drive around, using up carbon hoofprints etc. So if they let me alone and didn't make me get up early, I could save the planet...:sleep1:
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 4:25am (Mar 11th 2009)

( groan)I hate day light saveings! A Toatal waist of my time and energy! it saves nothing and waists peoples time running around in a panic. ( grumble)
    just let the planet work as it has. Befor humans had to meddle with every thing
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 9:54am (Mar 11th 2009)

But Frogdust, we then wouldn't be here with Hencam and all the lovely Hencammers!!
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2009 7:12am (Mar 12th 2009)

I love daylight savings time and Spring..it means we ( my 18 year old kitty Chelsea and I ) get to see the hens in the daylight again.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2009 7:06am (Mar 13th 2009)

True ! True Ollie
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2009 11:02pm (Mar 13th 2009)

I've actually come to like it as it is 7:02 PM and the sun is just setting!

Another 6 months of after-7 sun-setting Woo-hooo!!!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 10:05pm (Mar 23rd 2009)

I think I'm the only one on-line right now.

da...da...da...da..da..

ok...I think I'll go off to bed now. it is 10 pm and past my bedtime. A girl needs her beauty sleep. :-)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2009 4:14am (Mar 24th 2009)

Yah! I hear you Init ! I am usualy the lonly onley here too. You'all are 6 hour ahead of me so when i logg on every one else is asleep.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2009 8:01pm (Mar 24th 2009)

and when we log on - you are asleep....
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 4:13am (Mar 25th 2009)

:winktongue: (Grumble) you think you would get smarter as you get older..........I just fried my nose hair by putting bleach in the toilet to clean it and I forgot to open the window for circulation.:_oh: DUMb,Dumb DUMB! the Dogs and I went out side to get clean air and let the house detox with the doors open!:no:fortunantly no one was home but me so I did not end up looking stupid in front of my kids.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 9:13am (Mar 25th 2009)

Golly Frogdust, just how much bleach did you slosh down there? Or did you have your head far too close?

You may have a particularly powerful brand. Can't say I have noticed much of a smell from bleach.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 5:10pm (Mar 25th 2009)

I can't smell it from here, anyway; it can't be that bad...:D
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 2:40am (Mar 26th 2009)

Right..Jonny's not alone (Red's here) but he's goin' of to bed...I let Hobbes sleep with me as his sister Spock is in the hospital and he get's lonely...and keeps me up!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 6:44am (Mar 26th 2009)

I got the clorox from a janatorial supply house . I looked at it after I aired my self out,and it said '' triple strenth'' and "profesional strenth" ACK !:_oh:

OH NO! what is wrong with poor spock? I am so sorry she is ill.:bighug:
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 10:54am (Mar 26th 2009) edited

I once used one of these "Industrial Strength" chemicals when in employment as a cleaner in a hospital. It was "Lysol" a bit like Jeyes fluid.

I was gasping.
    Quite conveniently, I was swabbing out the morgue!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 6:22pm (Mar 26th 2009)

I hope Spock feels better soon, Jonny. She'll be right as ninepence once her pipes have been sorted out!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 9:00pm (Mar 26th 2009)

Well she's in for one more day..I pick her up at 11:30 AM EDT (15:30 GMT) tomorrow (Friday).