Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 3:29pm (Oct 6th 2007)

We were ready to say goodbye to some of the baby mice today, but the pet shop said we are safe to keep them for another week before they can start mating - yay! :-D

All the baby mice have been named, too, their names are: Jayden (black), Bailey (beige and white), Wombat (silver / beige) , Patch (white and silver) and Erin (black and white).

They seem to wait until you are handling them before doing a poo :-\
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 4:30pm (Oct 6th 2007)

:x --- just because I've been waiting for an opportunity to use that :)

Which ones are you keeping?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 4:35pm (Oct 6th 2007)

One of the many jobs I've had was teaching charity food bank operators about sanitation & safety. So that included warehouse inspections. To train them about inspecting for rodents, sometimes (this wasn't part of the official training) we would go out ahead of the tour and put some chocolate sprinkles on a (clean) part of the floor. Then during the tour, we'd point out the 'droppings,' saying we weren't sure...were they or weren't they, then we'd pick em up and eat them. Saying: ah yes. Gross, eh?
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 5:17pm (Oct 6th 2007)

and Diane, what if a rodent had had a few for himself and replaced them with a similar looking article?
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 5:36pm (Oct 6th 2007)

Olllie, you took the question right out of my mouth . What if they happened to be the real mouse " sprinkles " ? I'm sure Diane or someone guarded the spot to make sure that did not happen . My mom swears that the hardest job she had caring for her chicken yard was when I was a toddler and she could not turn her back but to find me with " one of those spinach green curly chicken doo-doo s" in my mouth. Hopefully, she is just teasing me. I am going to ask her to " Please, tell me it's not really true. " I still have a problem with putting to wrong things in my mouth such as candy, cake, cookies and icecream . LOL
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 8:17pm (Oct 6th 2007)

From Ollie in UK;
    Where did you get the idea that candy, cake, cookies and icecream were 'wrong things' ?
    If you fancy it, then munch it....
    Moderation in all, is the key.

The hens seem to be moulting, there are a lot of feathers around.
    Forbid the thought that they have had a hungry visitor.
    Oh, hurry up home Neil and check all is well please.
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 10:26pm (Oct 6th 2007)

Ollie, I love sweets and they are good if one can discipline themelves to eat " just one." I have a problem with my blood sugar level . If I eat something sweet, my blood sugar rises quickly and drops very low, and I then crave sweets and more sweets . It is like a hamster on a wheel ... so to speak. A couple of years ago , I found out that I was putting myself into a condition called metabolic syndrome and with the help of an understanding doctor, I am doing well. However, sometimes I decide to splurge and eat my favorite sweets and I have a very hard time with moderation. I literally have to quit "cold turkey". I can not speak for anyone other than me, but diet colas make me crave sweets too so I have to quit them too. My doctor was able to have the insurance approve me for BYETTA, which is for metabolic syndrome. I inject myself before breakfast and dinner and it gives marvelous results in blood sugar control. Many diabetics have been able to get off their oral medications with the use of BYETTA. Hold on to your seat when I tell you what BYETTA is made from .... the saliva of the gila monster.
      CommentAuthorBlack Cat
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2007 12:27pm (Oct 8th 2007)

Eeeeeewwwwww, Janice, I bet you'd rather not have known about the gila monster saliva thing! I think you're really brave to inject yourself twice a day:)
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 5:56am (Oct 9th 2007)

Black Cat , I have never felt any of my injections. It seems too good to be true I am sure. The needle is thin as a hair and very short. BYETTA comes in a container that looks like an ink pen and the needle screws on and then is disposed of after the injection. I dial up a pre-set dose. There are 60 doses per container. When I began taking Byetta , it was experimental , but just this week it is advertised on television. The parent company is Eli Lily who makes insulin for diabetics. I am curious as to how they can round up enough gila monsters to meet the demand for enough saliva to make it. It is very expensive and I could not afford the almost 300.00 per container if not for insurance. But thanks for saying I am brave.
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2008 11:37pm (Feb 28th 2008)

just wanted to try out all the computer emontions :'(:):(:P:O:@;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2008 5:47pm (Feb 29th 2008)

Use the vanillacons - there's loads!
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2008 8:02pm (Feb 29th 2008) edited

And they taste sooo goooooooood
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2008 8:33pm (Feb 29th 2008)

Just get on with making that popcorn, you...:)
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th, 2008 9:43pm (Feb 29th 2008)

Vanilla popcorn... Yummeeee
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 12:54am (Mar 1st 2008)

Popcorn with brewer's yeast and kelp powder. Messy but oh so good.
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 8:34am (Mar 1st 2008)

Kelp powder??? That's full of iodene isn't it? Would zap my poor thyriod and I would just sllutter to the foor in a massively relaxed heap!
    What would the brewers yeast do? Think I would prefer it after it has done its job on a load of fruity type stuff.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 4:50pm (Mar 1st 2008)

Iodine makes the thyroid work MORE. So you and I woulds be sylph-like size sixes by the time we got to the bottom of the bowl, Ollie...:bigsmile: I could turn all of my wardrobe into three of what I have already, I rerckon one top would make 3 size 6s!
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 5:19pm (Mar 1st 2008)

I had to go and look this up and I find we are both right.
    First reaction is a speed up of thyroid but then body slows right down.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 9:27pm (Mar 1st 2008)

Runny poo...so we WOULDN'T be size sixes. Well, not unless we stopped at a certain point! Perhaps my thyroid's inadequacies can be put down to the fact that whenever I got grazes on my knees at school (frequently), they always put iodine on them. I was twelve before my knees were any colour other than yellow (or black & blue)!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2008 11:44pm (Mar 1st 2008)

Maybe that's why they don't sell kelp powder anywhere anymore. Kelp's a big part of the Japanese diet though. Which I love. Why wasn't I born in Japan?

Brewer's yeast is high in all the vitamin B's. And taste almost buttery. Cats LOVE it! As do I. Minor addiction actually.
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 8:08am (Mar 2nd 2008)

no longer a member

I dont think Mice do runny poo!
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 8:52am (Mar 2nd 2008)

I hadn't thought about Brewer's yeast as a B vit source. I was diagnosed with 'verging on pernicious anaemia' by my nurse practioner last year. Just took to liver, which I love, accompanied with vit C stuff. Seemed to work. Not keen on tablets, especially vits. I feel a healthy diet is much preferable. Take enough medical type tabs to rattle anyway. I do condecend to condroiton, which has just been put on the prescribable list from doctor, so that'll save a few pennies.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 5:08pm (Mar 2nd 2008)

Mmmm...liver and bacon with onions....mmmmm.....
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 7:33pm (Mar 2nd 2008)

Yurp.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 7:35pm (Mar 2nd 2008)

Liver with onions..I think I'm gonna BaRf. :fierce:
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 10:10pm (Mar 2nd 2008)

Linguistic note; Yurp is what G***ge B**h calls Europe...
    Are you veggies, then?
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2008 11:28pm (Mar 2nd 2008)

I am the pickiest eater in the whole world (well, after my eldest and youngest - they're worse) but even I eat liver! Mind you, haven't cooked it for years as I hate the look, feel and smell of the raw stuff.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 1:00am (Mar 3rd 2008)

Yup - well, I eat fish so, no. Can't decide. I ate chicken before Hen Cam. Just can't do it now. So - no Fish Cam for me.

I have a question. I cringe every time G. Bush talks, in humiliation at what the rest of the world thinks of his linguistic skills. So, you DO notice it then, eh? The odd thing is that his parents don't speak that way. I heard a rumor that he actually studied how to dumb down his language. Didn't really believe it until I heard him on a kind of high brow liberal intellectual talk show and I didn't have to turn the TV off after two sentences from him... He actually had a somewhat mild Texas accent and (this is the big change) was actually fairly articulate. Very strange.
    • CommentAuthoroli in UK
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 9:20am (Mar 3rd 2008)

He could be using an auto-cue, rapidly typed by his 'advisors'. Rather like the subtitles are done on tv; which I adore as I often can't make out what folks are saying.
    It occured to me last night that I really should go and have my hearing tested.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 5:45pm (Mar 3rd 2008)

We have a classical violinist here called Nigel Kennedy. When he was interviewed at the age of ten as a rising star prodigy, he had an accent which would make the Queen sound common. Now he has spiky hair and sounds like an extra from Eastenders...I spose G***ge B**h is trying that common touch thing too. Either that or he's too thick to speak even Texan!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 7:19pm (Mar 3rd 2008) edited

I think that's exactly what it is. So - what he is doing is acting out his view of the stereotypical American. Revolting.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 7:53pm (Mar 3rd 2008)

Chameleon. But an inefficient one because we all know what he's up to!
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 9:19pm (Mar 3rd 2008)

Our press make a big thing of it when he comes out with some stupid comment or sentence - they'd make it front page news whereas if he actually said something sensible it'd warrent a couple of column inches on page 17!
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2008 9:23pm (Mar 3rd 2008)

In fact it's such a rare occurrence that it'd probably make the front page.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2008 6:42am (Mar 4th 2008)

:shamed:
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2008 6:03pm (Mar 4th 2008)

So how's the voting going over there Diane? Has Hill's been kicked to the kerb yet?!
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2008 7:37pm (Mar 4th 2008)

The French are saying that it's funny how Bill was sleeping with a white woman, yet his wife's going to be sc**wed by a black man...
    One of Obama's female advisers was interviewed on BBC radio this lunchtime. She sounded very upbeat about things. Looks like Diane might be having a party!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2008 4:51am (Mar 5th 2008) edited

Its sounding like its still going to be too close to end it yet. In each state there is a contest (either a primary or caucus, or - as in Texas, both) You can win one of them numerically but it isn't "winner take all" in most states for the Democrats - so the important thing is how many delegates they each collect in each contest. Currently the two tiny states (Vermont & Rhode Island) have canceled each other out on the wins and they also don't have many delegates. Ohio may be "won" by Hillary at a higher % than Texas. And, in fact, (last I heard) Texas is neck and neck. But Obama will probably take more delegates overall. If Obama wins in Texas, that means he made up a 20 point Hillary lead and then over took it. The caucus in Texas could go on late into the night and the vote count in Ohio has been in Hillary areas so far, more than Obama areas. Therefore no way to gauge. So, it all continues.
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2008 4:39pm (Mar 5th 2008)

Hilary won a crocus...are you all right Diane? The more we are subjected to her (and I fail to see why they're bombarding us with all this useless info when A) it's nothing to do with us and b) it's not even the president thing) the more she gets on my nerves. Just as well she wed Bill; would have been a shame to spoil another pair.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 3:10am (Mar 6th 2008)

Yah, she's acting pretty desperate. Its galling for sure. Sigh.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 6:35pm (Mar 6th 2008)

How close run is it now, Diane? I really cannot bear that woman...PLEEEEEEEASE don't let her win.
    :angry::bigsmile::confused::cool::cry::devil::neutral::sad::shamed::shocked::smile::surprised::tongue::wink::beard::boogie::peace::pirate::rasta::shades::smoking::surfing::trompet::cheer::clap::crazy::jumping::peace::rolling::swingin::thumbup::tooth::brokenheart::crush::dinner::flowers::grouphug::heartbounce::heart::heartsabove::hugging::kiss::kissing::rainbow::threesome::twosome::whorship::winkkiss::fierce::fingersear::hungry::middlefinger::sleepout::updown: Hehe BOO!!!
    Hey, what do you mean you can't stand me. I'll set a SWAT team on you, just as soon as I am president. Ha! How could you not like a nice person like me.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:35pm (Mar 6th 2008)

Glad someone else likes the emoticons...that's what Neil was afraid of!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:39pm (Mar 6th 2008)

Yea, Neil said we'd get an overload if we weren't careful !!!!
    Ah well, maybe she's got it out of her system now......
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:49pm (Mar 6th 2008)

She? Now that's interesting, I assumed Avanti was a hemale!
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 8:57pm (Mar 6th 2008)

No, my guess is a lady. Though all those emicoms - sorry - Vanilla yummy cons do show a little male .... I want to say male aragance but don't want to sound aggressive. (Can't get my spelling tonight.)
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2008 9:07pm (Mar 6th 2008)

Ha - glad your brain's scrambled as well today; I ordered my ma a chicken korma for lunch in the pub today.
    She's been a veggie for about 20 years, now... :\
    Fortunately Naomi changed it for a veggie one...anywhere else and we'd've had to conduct a painstaking chicken extraction operation. Three cheers for the Red Lion at Penn! (Yes, Diane, birthplace of Wm. Penn of Pennsylvania fame...)
    Then I loused up the crossword, then I tried to poison the LS Eric with a lasagne with mushrooms in (he's allergic).
    I think I may go to bed and write Thursday off as a bad job...:\
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:38am (Mar 7th 2008)

no longer a member

You scared me then for a moment CC... you mentioned Naomi... thats my ex wifes name.. I thought she had crawlled out of the Big hole in the garden where I burried her to come back and haunt me
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 5:53pm (Mar 7th 2008)

It isn't Naomi, sorry, Wazza; it's Nadine. See>? Told you my brain was scrambled... :\
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:38pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Don't let CC near anything important today. Not that the LS Eric isn't!
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:42pm (Mar 7th 2008)

I've been all right today...praps it's because I bought the Black Cohosh that I ran out of yesterday?
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:43pm (Mar 7th 2008)

The what?!!! :confused:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:45pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Herbal stuff for menopause. Keeps my brain working, stops me having power surges and prevents mee from killing anything that crosses my path.
    Mostly... :devil:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 7:56pm (Mar 7th 2008)

Right! So the phrase "keep taking the tablets" is VERY appropriate!!
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2008 8:01pm (Mar 7th 2008)

...and the phrase 'for the safety of the general public' could be added.