Site Tag Cloud

• CommentAuthorvicky
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 2:10pm (Apr 10th 2008)

I need to know the correct procedure to trim my chickens wings so they canot fly away. Does anybody have any tips?
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 3:16pm (Apr 10th 2008) edited

Hi Vicky there's another thread on here about that, but i can't find it...

However, wing clipping is not necessarily a good thing. It stops the chickens from being able to escape from predators that may attack whilst they're out roaming - the chicken's main defence is to fly up high somewhere safe. It also means they can injure themselves jumping from places that aren't even that high, such as steps, low walls, chairs etc. Plus if you're carrying a chicken and accidentally drop it (which is a lot easier than you'd think, especially if the chicken is a wriggly one!) , it won't be able to fly safely to the ground and could break a leg or wing.

If you're really sure you wanna clip the chicken's wings, it's probably safer to ask a vet to do it, and even then to check they have experience. If you cut the feathers to low down, or the wrong feathers, they will bleed and it's easy to cause serious damage. You also need to make sure the ends of the clipped feathers are not sharp / pointy as this can be painful and uncomfortable for the bird.

this site may be useful... it's mainly for parrots, but you get the idea! There's also a diagram too...
    • CommentAuthorjimr1603
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 3:47pm (Apr 10th 2008)

It's not hard, but it's a pain to do. Also, clever chickens will work out how to rebalance themselves to fly away again. Or they'll start digging tunnels. Make sure that they don't dustbathe next to the fence. I say higher fences are more effective and don't leave the chickens looking silly.
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 5:32pm (Apr 10th 2008)

Why not just nail them to the floor - just as nice!!!
    • CommentAuthorjimr1603
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 5:40pm (Apr 10th 2008)

Not really, it's more like a hair cut or having your nails cut.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 5:42pm (Apr 10th 2008)

It sounds worse than it actually is. :)
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 6:15pm (Apr 10th 2008)

Wow another vicki hehe I hope noone gets confuzzled and mixes us up !
    • CommentTimeApr 10th, 2008 6:18pm (Apr 10th 2008)

I just don't like the idea of it...there are lots of situations when chicken's need to be able to fly. I understand why it's easier to trim there wings, but like James said it's better to just put higher fences up. Plus after every moult you gotta go out there and trim all those feathers again...

Oh geez Vicki, i actually thought this was your post - i wondered why you were posting about trimming chicken feathers! Sorry about that :rolling:
    • CommentAuthorjimr1603
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2008 12:51am (Apr 11th 2008)

The thing is, that most of ours worked out how to fly with a really trimmed wing. So we made our hens look lopsided for nowt.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2008 12:29pm (Apr 11th 2008)

Chickens are very clever animals. Learning to fly with trimmed wings.:)
    • CommentAuthorjoannec
    • CommentTimeSep 9th, 2008 10:23pm (Sep 9th 2008)

hi vicky

I havent been on here for ages im jo. When we first brought our hens they were already clipped and we havent had the need to do it again, they have the whole run of our garden and they do try and fly, not to escape but to get to the tomatoes before the other one gets there, we only have 3 foot fences on the one side and they have never needed to escape. So i shouldnt bother if they need to get away fast then they should be alowed to do so, hope this helps.
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2008 4:29pm (Sep 10th 2008)

Im not sure if teh vicky will come back again ... maybe oh and I dont mean me !!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2008 4:40pm (Sep 10th 2008)

I know what you mean Vicki.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2008 5:00pm (Sep 10th 2008)

Vicki i thought you meant you then... :o
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeSep 10th, 2008 5:07pm (Sep 10th 2008)

No she meant Vicky with a Y!!!!!
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2008 11:31am (Sep 12th 2008)

Well she's so 'imaginative' with her spelling normally I just took it that she'd misspelled her name ;)
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd, 2008 8:17pm (Sep 23rd 2008)

huh? vicki i wanna see ur hens lol. yo neil, vik always spells her name like thatt hehe. youre right though she is 'imaginative' with her spelling hehe!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 24th, 2008 3:38am (Sep 24th 2008) edited

The title of this thread has a whole new feel to it now that we have a member named Chicken Wing...
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeSep 25th, 2008 7:10pm (Sep 25th 2008)

ewwww thats weird diane
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2008 9:12am (Nov 27th 2008)

Posted By: hello people=pewwww thats weird diane

I agree ewww!
    Just to let you know these chicken wings are still intact so no problems with my flying up and away. Not so sure I could fly very far at my age though...
    :crazy:
    • CommentTimeNov 27th, 2008 11:09pm (Nov 27th 2008)

How're things on the job front CW? (or was it CD that was looking? I can never remember which one of you is which - sorry!)
    • CommentTimeNov 28th, 2008 6:03pm (Nov 28th 2008)

Wing is the Woman...
    • CommentTimeNov 28th, 2008 11:31pm (Nov 28th 2008)

OK thanks - not that I'll remember that in a week's time, but I'll try!!!
    • CommentTimeNov 29th, 2008 8:56pm (Nov 29th 2008)

W for Wing, W for Woman, see. That's how I remember it.
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2009 8:47pm (Apr 21st 2009)

lol i want wings! then i could fly up with all the birdiessss!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2009 10:03pm (Apr 21st 2009)

I intend to be a bird in my next life.
    A very large flying male....

Pity I will not be able to remember why I am a very large flying male bird....
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2009 1:18am (Apr 22nd 2009)

Maybe that's why animals can not talk so they can not tell us what they were in a previous life.
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2009 11:10am (Apr 22nd 2009)

They can talk, it's just we're too stupid to understand them :P
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2009 8:03pm (Apr 22nd 2009)

yay we're stupid!!!!! i wanna talk to animals =(
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2009 9:55pm (Apr 22nd 2009)

You can probably learn what a few things mean just by listening...I know what a few clucks mean and can 'say' a few things to the girls (i probably sound like a wazzock but who cares? ;) ) and I know there are specialists who can talk to pigs, so why shouldn't we be able to understand other animals, even if it's only a little?
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2009 8:10pm (Apr 23rd 2009)

oo did yu watch my life as an animal? they talked to pigs on that! any how im quite good with horeses, i can interpret some stuffs and talk to them in a way. by the way red you just made me think of my house when you said wazzock because my house is called wazzocks end hehe we have a sign and everything!
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2009 11:29am (Apr 24th 2009)

Brill! :D

Yeah i saw that program, was quite interesting!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 24th, 2009 11:58pm (Apr 24th 2009)

I talk to my cats all the time...the different meows/brrts/whatevers are preety easy to understand..of course body language comes into play with it as well....
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 9:08am (Apr 25th 2009) edited

Ha ha sure is Jonny, nothing like a claw in the chin to get you up in the morning. It works though, they sure know how to get their point across. Ha ha. I talk to all my animal, very handy as it beats talking to myself all day, first sign of madness they call it over here. Kimmi licked my eyelid one morning it felt as if he had ripped it right off my eye.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 4:12pm (Apr 25th 2009)

Here you go NN (I forgot which discussion you asked about pics of my kitties):

Jonny's kitties

About half way down..
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 6:42pm (Apr 25th 2009)

Thank you they are real nice Kitties, Hobbes reminds me of my daisy cat and Spock is just cool. Did you get the name Hobbes from Calvin cartoons? and Spock has just got to be named from the Star Trek Mr Spock. I named Kimmi from the F1 driver, Daisy got her name from the white marks on her feet they look like daisy petals. Sootz looked as if he had been up the chimney and Sweet Sylvi is our silver tabby
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 10:15pm (Apr 25th 2009)

Yep.. Hobbes is from Calvin and Spock is from Mr. Spock. When she (Spock) was little her eyes and ears were WAY to big for her body..hence the name!!
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 10:28pm (Apr 25th 2009)

The eyes remain the same size from when they are born for the rest of their lives I remember reading somewhere. Kimmi's blue eyes go red when he is cross it is quite scary at times I should have called him Damien
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 25th, 2009 11:39pm (Apr 25th 2009)

Yikes!
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2009 9:42am (Apr 26th 2009)

Kimmi and Sootz were glaring at each other this morning, they could not decide who's going to be boss cat for the day. They have got it sorted now, and are galloping about the house sounding more like cart horses than cats. I couldn't tell you who is boss cat though, maybe they are sharing it. Ha Ha
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 6:09am (Apr 27th 2009)

Mine like to play hockey (well they ARE Canadian) with balls of paper..got them all over the place!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 9:41am (Apr 27th 2009)

Ha ha Sootz loves a paper ball, he carries them upstairs to play with in the bathroom. I made the mistake of putting one in the bin up there yesterday and he tipped the bin over to get it out, he also had a root about in the bin to see if I had hidden anymore in there. Thankfully we had no visitors that needed the bathroom before I dicovered the mess.
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 6:50pm (Apr 27th 2009)

hehe my friend megan has just got 2 new ittys and i met them and theres this one called hallie and it has earbrows!
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 7:19pm (Apr 27th 2009)

sorry say that again?????
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 9:17pm (Apr 27th 2009)

What's an itty? What the hell are earbrows???:shocked:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 9:45pm (Apr 27th 2009)

I think it's meant to say kittys! ;)
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 9:57pm (Apr 27th 2009)

but what are earbrows ?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 10:02pm (Apr 27th 2009)

I have no idea! Maybe it's like an eyebrow but in it's ears...
    • CommentTimeApr 27th, 2009 10:18pm (Apr 27th 2009)

:cat2: ummm wouldn't mind seeing that for myself..... I hope they are not deformed poor things
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2009 6:33pm (Apr 28th 2009)

Praps earbrows are those sopppy little bits of hair that nearly-bald blokes grow? I wish they'd realise they're far more attractive with NO hair than silly hair! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2009 10:04pm (Apr 28th 2009)

Ha ha comb overs?
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2009 9:36am (Apr 29th 2009) edited

Comb-overs make me laugh when they flap up and down in the breeze like the lid of a cooking pot.
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2009 10:37am (Apr 29th 2009)

Ha ha ha thats very well put Ollie, They are the most silly things those and Shorts with sandals and socks on the shore ha ha