Site Tag Cloud

21st abelow advice amazing animal animals arrived babies baby bad bald bam bath battery beautiful bedding belated ben bhf big bill bird birthday black bonfire bound box breeds british broken broody bumblefoot busy buy buying cage caged camera cannibalism canterbury captions car care cat cc chesterfield chicken chickens chooks christmas chucks clicker colour coming comp competition contact coop coops cornsnake council cruelty cutting dad day dead death debate derby details diane diet discussion dog dogs donna dresses drinking drunken easter eat eating egg eggbound eggs ellie elvis emergency falcon farm favourite feather feathers feed feeding finally find fireworks firm first fluffy foggy for forum foundation free funny future garden girl girls glen goldie good goodbye goodness growing hagley hall halloween happy hate heart heartless heat heavy helen hen hencam hens holiday home horse house housing info inscription introduce introduction invites james julie kasper kate keepers lancaster late latest lathargic laying lee leeds life london long lost lots love lovely lunacy lyle lynn machine mareks members memorial merry message milly missing mite moult moving mums mysteries nanny new news nice night noisy nook norths nyc ollie online open order page pancake parrot party pecking peregrine peregrines personal pet photos pic pics pictures plants plucked plus poland poorly post pr production prom pumpkin questions rain rat recipes red related remember remove respect rip road ronston roof rules sad sale scam scarlet sheer shelled shipley shirley shobhna show sids sister slow snake sneezing snow soft spammers spring start support telephone testing thinking thomas ticket tilly time today tom training tree trev trevs trip tutorials uk unlock update urgent valentines vegan vinegar visitors vivisection volka walk wanted warning webcam wedding weekend welfare where white wild wilsden winnie winter women work worming wrong yay year yorkshire zoey 1 2 4 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

• CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 1:36pm (Aug 13th 2009)

The reen in Speahn stoys maoinly on the pleane............ so thats why there is drought!!!! :thumbup1:
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 5:38pm (Aug 13th 2009) edited

No, there's L-AW-N. LAWN. See?:)

Actually, the first time I heard a merkin say 'awesome', I thought he'd said 'ar*ehole'!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 10:09pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Yah - there are some Merkins who add in appropriate *Rs* too. ;)

At least everyone has an *R* in rain, Julie... Although not all have an *R* in drought. :P

• CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 10:12pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Accents confuse me so much :jumping:
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 10:33am (Aug 14th 2009) edited

Being a bit of a thespian I have dabbled with many accents on stage over the years, Merkin, Southern and Bronx, Cockney, Yorkshire, Irish, Russian, French. Lots of fun and occasionally embarrassed the sons by breaking into one without thinking.:shamed: :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 5:51pm (Aug 14th 2009)

If you have a musical ear it's embarrassingly easy to 'catch' an accent. I stayed with two New Zealanders for 5 days once and all my sentences? went up at the ends? end all my vowels? gat mexed ip?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 6:46pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Maybe I have a musical ear after all, I'm like a sponge around other accents. It IS embarrassing. Can seem like one is mocking the other person...
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:50pm (Aug 14th 2009)

I know...and I really really can't help it! I dread meeting people with strong accents as I can't resist having a go. then the wind changes and I stick like it...:D
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 9:34pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Good old Yorkshire accent sticks to me like owt. And i'm proud, no matter how many people laugh at the way i say things. I wouldn't change my accent for the world :cool:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 9:38pm (Aug 14th 2009)

My grandad was a yorkshire man, he was in a nursing home (although Ok walking round etc). 5ft 3 with big ear lobes and really good head of white hair. Anyway my dad went to visit him one day, rang the door bell and one of the nurses opened the door and said "how did you get out". My dad made the mistake of tellings us and we've never let him forget it. Especially as his hair has gone really white now. We always say "your just like your dad" when he does things and he says "no I'm not, no I'm not whilst killing himself laughing.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 9:42pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Talking of Gramps... he used to be quite high up in the General Electricians Union (or something similar) alwasy very good at arguing. Anyway he is most famous in the union circuit for rousing the Coventry Jaguar works to go out on strike. Unfortuantly he is remembered for giving his speach to a packed Apollo Theatre and in the midst of all the excitiment and shouts to go out on strike promptly walked straight off the front of the stage and fell into the orchestra pit. :-)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 3:10am (Aug 15th 2009)

Tracy those are hilarious family stories. Loved reading them. I keep laughing thinking of that moment when she said: *How did you get out?* Too funny. :D :D
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 9:09am (Aug 15th 2009)

Thems is roight good 'uns Tracy lass.:cool:
    • CommentTimeAug 15th, 2009 5:04pm (Aug 15th 2009)

Oh Bless, wonderful family stories Tracy. Thank you for sharing them with us
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 4:53pm (Aug 16th 2009)

Gramps waas a real old character bless him, before he went int he home he was in a warden cntrolled flat. Gary and I went and built him a floor to celing awrdrobe ( as he was only 5ft and a tiny bit he could only use the bottom half of it. He had a combined microwave oven and one Sunday lunch he nuked his chicken for an hour on a microwave settgin rathern than an oven setting.
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 6:37pm (Aug 16th 2009)

Oh that is funny at least it was done !!!!
    I used to have an old lady work for me she was almost deaf and suffered real bad from Tinnitus, she also couldn't see none to good. One day when I had a day off someone gave her a mince pie, she decided to heat it for her lunch put it in the microwave still in the foil dish sat down to have a peer at the paper. Goodness knows how long she put it in for, but the microwave set on fire and the fire brigade came out. They said to her you must have heard it popping and hissing her reply was oh I just thought it was my ears !!!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 6:55pm (Aug 16th 2009)

:-) it comes to us all in the end I guess. I just hope I'm one of the ones that makes people laugh and doesn't vegetate.
    • CommentAuthorDuffy's wife
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2009 8:58pm (Aug 16th 2009)

NannyNorth that is so funny. I had a good laugh over that one. I liked the ones from Tracy also.
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2009 10:09am (Aug 17th 2009)

Very funny girls good to have a laugh that would have been one well cooked chicken Tracy.
    • CommentTimeAug 17th, 2009 7:47pm (Aug 17th 2009)

It is funny what triggers us to remember our stories. I had forgotten all about The mince pie episode until Tracy mentioned the nuked chicken.
      CommentAuthorhello people=p
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2009 8:23pm (Aug 23rd 2009)

mince pies are nom =D
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2009 8:53pm (Aug 23rd 2009)

Soon be time to make loads for Christmas HP= they are one of my familys favourites. Could be cos I put some whisky in the mince meat. yum yum
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2009 10:22pm (Aug 23rd 2009)

I have a very loud laughing fit in the supermarket when \i see "Sell-by" dates on mincemeat.
    I hve jars that are well over these dates and they taste FANTASTIC!
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd, 2009 10:31pm (Aug 23rd 2009)

About the lady and her deafness mistaking the alarm for her tinnituss..

G'daughter left her mobile at my house and it was beeping at five minute intervals all night. I disconnected each of my phones in turn (I have many) but it continued. About six am I found her mobile on my ironing board but didn't know how to switch it off.

At seven am my door bell went, I didn't hear it as I had switched brain off to bell sounds...
    It was a rearranged delivery parcel. I heard the knock on the door and then the letter box click shut....
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 4:44am (Aug 24th 2009)

I was wandering about the supermarket wondering what a faint bleeping sound was. As there had been terrorists in London at that time, I was vaguely twitchy about bombs, etc., but before I could alert staff to my concerns, fortunately realised my digital metronome had come on in my handbag...
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 5:14am (Aug 24th 2009)

Posted By: ollie in UKManaged to catch the attention of the driver by lifting up the venetion blind to realise I was naked and teethless from being in the middle of my ablutions.

Oh, Ollie..:rollonfloorlaughing: that is just too funny..laughed so hard the dog came to see what was wrong with me...
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 10:08am (Aug 24th 2009)

I agree Ollie Mincemeat lasts for years. When the supermarkets sell it cheaper because of the sell by dates I have a field day and stock right up. I do make them through out the year I must admit so make my own mincemeat just for the Christmas period.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 10:10am (Aug 24th 2009)

Your story is so funny Ollie, I bet the chap had a real surprise Ha ha
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 6:05pm (Aug 24th 2009)

Open the blind whilst naked would catch most peoples attention I'm guessing :-)
    • CommentTimeAug 24th, 2009 7:53pm (Aug 24th 2009)

She's such an exhibitionist, our Ols...:)
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 12:28am (Aug 25th 2009)

My mom used to make mincemeat....took her months...all that fruit and booze.....but boy are they good.

She makes these itty-bitty mince meat tarts in abundance at Christmas...very dangerous... nom-nom-nom!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 12:30am (Aug 25th 2009)

Oh.. and her mini-quiches are equally dangerous (she makes hers with bits of asparagus...)
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 12:45am (Aug 25th 2009)

Oh yum yum Jonny, but it is late and I must not eat any thing until tomorrow now. I love quiche and although I can not have the pastry I can eat the innards, oh and with asparagus my very best favourite.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 12:50am (Aug 25th 2009)

Yes NN..they are to DIE for.... can't wait for the next family do!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:02pm (Aug 25th 2009)

yum Jonny they sound delish.
    How are you anyway?
    Freezing here at the moment but Spring is just around our corner.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:04pm (Aug 25th 2009)

I'm well TM. Its a cool 14 degrees here! Its only 8am though, but its only going up to 25 today!
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:06pm (Aug 25th 2009) edited

ha ha we are having a top temp of 14 tomorrow! its 10pm and FREEZING brrrr.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:09pm (Aug 25th 2009)

Does it actually go below zero?
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 1:13pm (Aug 25th 2009) edited

Occasionally but we generally have what you would call mild winters here. Overnight can be 4 or 5 at coldest with an average max of 12 to 18 in winter days. It does not snow where we live but further inland usually get 1 or 2 falls a year.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 7:47pm (Aug 25th 2009)

I assumed it was about something so horrendously distressing that it was likely to make me decide that Hencam isn't a very nice place after all and leave forever.

It's just made me hungry for mince pies.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 9:12pm (Aug 25th 2009)

• CommentTimeAug 25th, 2009 9:50pm (Aug 25th 2009)

ha ha that is funny Victoria I did the weekly shop this evening and bought a jar of mincemeat to make some pies for the lads.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2009 10:07am (Aug 26th 2009)

Posted By: VictoriaIt took me months to visit this discussion because of the title 'Look But Don't Leave'.

It's just made me hungry for mince pies.

Victoria that is so funny, it just goes to show you can't tell a book by it's cover or a hencam thread by it's title.:yes:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:40pm (Feb 28th 2010) edited

oops
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:43pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Hi Diane, nice to chat as I miss people so often on here due to time diff.
    I think we are a bit stunned still, it was so sudden.
    Hope you are doing ok, I am in a cooking mood so going to be creative today.:heart:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:46pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Hey there. Yes. I feel very stunned. I'm okay tho. I posted to you in the wrong thread - so might not be feeling as steady as I thought? (I moved my post to "Here I am/Where are you...") :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:49pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Thats ok we post all over the place now dont we. Is it about 6pm there?
    Hope all your animals are doing ok, our darling Thomas cat is 18 1/2 and still hanging in there. Just been to vet, more pils and blood tets but he is a strong little chap.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 1:16am (Mar 1st 2010)

Well, I THINK I've sorted out my computer probs for a little while. A sweet friend has loaned me this Mac laptop and I just completed setting it up for dialup at my house. :) Sorry to miss out on a longer chat with you, Julie - I got kicked off the restaurant connection right after my previous post.

My animals are all doing very well. Glad to hear things are good with Thomas! :)

• CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 3:41am (Mar 4th 2010)

I heard today about some chickens in the UK that thwarted a fox's attempt to attack them. Quite an amazing little story, here is one website I found with an article and pictures. (WARNING... contains a picture of the dead fox... not gruesome though)

• CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 8:34pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Oh yes, i heard about them somewhere too...can't recall where :confused:
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 8:37pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Trev's Link‘I reared Dude from a tiny little chick and he has become very protective of the others.

‘He thinks he is human and chases our dogs around the garden, pecking them.

‘Now he is a murderer.’