Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeApr 29th, 2012 11:34pm (Apr 29th 2012)

That really is true re-"cycling"!

:rolling:

:thumbup:
    • CommentTimeApr 29th, 2012 11:41pm (Apr 29th 2012)

Lola is still on the homing corridor at the rehoming centre. I thought I'd got her a home - a lady had chosen a lovely cat that has been there several months - we have no idea why because she's friendly, cute, no health problems, only 3 years old, so are very happy she's finally been reserved. The lady wanted another cat to go with her. I spent ages telling her about Lola, and she said she wanted her. I said was she sure - I didn't want her to take her just because I was there and she said no, not at all.

Then, when we were heading to reception, she stopped at the pen 3 up from Lola. I didn't know the cat in there, Lacey, but she was pretty, semi-long haired, black and white, cute and friendly. "Oh" says the woman, "I like her too", and within 2 minutes had decided she wanted her instead of Lola. Then, when we got 2 pens from the door, she stopped at Ms Sox - a cute little black and white live wire! She gets cystitis, but the woman decided she wanted her too. I was concerned at this point that she was choosing these extra cats on a whim, but I didn't have chance to say that to any of the staff as I had to go and the manager was busy. However, I was sort of relieved that she didn't take Lola - I think the woman was getting carried away and not thinking properly about what she wanted.

It seems kitten season has well and truly stared too. There are lots of them in there!
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 4:17pm (Apr 30th 2012) edited

Ha ha ha very funny Kate! :smile:

That's so sad about Lola. Still, maybe it's better not to have her go to such an indecisive owner...can you add anything to her chart to seem more sell-able?!

best: we are moving house again :smile: We're just fed up with next door really. So we did a bit of looking around and found a house in the village where our market is for the same price, and with a garden...and that sold it to us really!! :bigsmile:

We move mid-May just before our current contract runs out...I don't have any pics to share other than the front of the house, so here it is
      newhouse.jpg
    • CommentTimeApr 30th, 2012 11:15pm (Apr 30th 2012)

Nothing I can do about Lola really. Maybe when she's got a profile on the internet I can have a look and see if I can get Bryan (who writes them!) to zuzz it up a bit!

Well, from the front the roof, windows and walls all look OK!! I assume they're OK with the pets? Hopefully the floor will be better too. You don't seem to have had much luck so far so fingers crossed it'll be 3rd time lucky!
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:17am (May 1st 2012) edited

At Animal Care volunteers could ask to write a few paragraphs about a dog / cat saying how sociable they are, playful, well trained, energetic etc etc. I bet that might help Lola, does the website get much traffic?

Haha yeah we were checking everything inside...where the landlord lives, if there's plumbing for a washing machine, if there's gas heating...we found one speck of mould in the walk in wardrobe (woohoo!) which will be easy to get rid off if the landlord doesn't. Another nice thing, we won't meet our landlord ever, we do everything through the agency which is exactly what we wanted!

Ah it's such a nice house! The agency we're going through have been amazing so far too. Last time, it took the agency over a month to sort everything out, cost us over £1000 to move each, and we had to supply six months' of bank notes which was an absolute farce! This time they answered all our questions, haven't lied about where our landlord lives (we were originally told he lives abroad for this house!), they've only charged £350 in total and the checks take 4 - 5 days :smile:

Emailed our landlord last night to tell him we'd be moving, hope it's a big kick in the teeth for him...if he'd treat us better we wouldn't have dreamed of moving. Did I tell you he asked us to hire our own plumber to sort a leak in the bathroom and pay for it ourselves, because we'd offered to pay for the washer being plumbed?! :shocked:
    • CommentTimeMay 1st, 2012 11:05pm (May 1st 2012)

Your current landlord is just ridiculous. Talk about trying it on!! Glad the agency are doing what they get paid to do, and that is to rent a property out as quickly and easily as possible. Let us know when you get a moving date. (will we lose you for a few days while you get internet, or is that sorted too?!)
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2012 4:20pm (May 2nd 2012) edited

Ha, it just gets better! So it was a week ago that we went round to report the leak to next door, to be told by a stranger she would send her husband around at some point. We had no idea who she was and she didn't offer us any information A few days later she knocked on our door to say her husband would be around tomorrow. Once again we didn't have a clue who she was, but nothing happened anyway so...

Today someone randomly knocks on the door...turns out it is our actual landlord?! WHAT?!? Why does he also think it's okay to just bloody turn up and knock on the door whenever he fancies?? Aaaagh! :mad:

To put this into perspective, our two friends who go through an agency had a 6 month review of their property. They spent days cleaning from top to bottom and bought a bottle of wine to give to the person doing the check. They made sure the house was spotless. That is what you do for a landlord or something similar. What with next door popping around whenever they feel like it, we have absolutely no warning, no time to tidy up, and no privacy!

So anyway, Lyle's stood in the doorway talking to him. He says that the leak is something that happens once every 5 years, and is caused by the rain blowing through the cracks in the slates and therefore causing a leak...what an absolute joke. Every time it has rained we have had the leak. What a cheapskate.
    I am SO glad we are moving!! :face-angel:
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd, 2012 11:15pm (May 2nd 2012)

In other words, he has no intention of repairing it.

I thought you had to be given suitable notice if he wants to come inside the property? It wouldn't be so bad if he'd knocked the door, apologised that no one has sorted it yet, reassured you that someone would be around that day / the next day. You're well out of it. Let's hope the next one is better, but it's all a useful learning experience.
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 12:07am (May 3rd 2012)

No, he has no intention of repairing it...and doesn't seem to have read the email stating we're moving yet, oops! :P

Posted By: KatebIn other words, he has no intention of repairing it.

Exactly! My mum seemed to think it was perfectly fine them just knocking and coming in whenever they fancied, as they had all the power...but that's not the point, as a tenant it's a horrible experience, and they're not supposed to do it!

Yes, we should have said something (although it only got really annoying recently) but it's a very difficult thing to say to your landlord/s when as my mum said they hold all the power...
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 1:05pm (May 3rd 2012) edited

best: the information about Gypsy's has been changed on the website after I emailed them about her, and it now makes her sound like the lovely girl she is. Here's hoping after 3 years she can finally find a good home :heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2012 11:44pm (May 3rd 2012)

That was a really nice thing to do for Gypsy. Fingers crossed for her.

My best: Kitten came into the house this evening and even ventured part way up the stairs. I had to leave the front door open for her which means the house got cold, but I am trying to win her trust. It was spoilt a bit when she made a dash for the front door, misjudged and pushed it to. She sat on the stairs crying - it was such a pitiful noise, she must've been really scared. I pulled it open again, but it took her about 30 secs to realise and then she dashed out. I put her food outside then and closed the door. 45 minutes of cold air is enough for anyone!
    • CommentTimeMay 4th, 2012 9:59pm (May 4th 2012)

Bless kitten.

best: a bit of an odd one but I got 22,600 and something steps on my step counter! Woohoo, now that is a lot of steps...before that my record was 20,400 and something :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2012 12:08am (May 6th 2012)

Was really busy at rehoming again today. Lola is still there, but she's OK and seemed happy to see me. Sebastian, one of the free-roaming cats, was homed this week! He'd been there 3 years. That meant another cat was able to free-roam, and they've let Chloe out of her pen for the first time in over a year. Today she was allowed outside for the first time since she got there. I got the job of following her around to make sure she was OK and didn't 'escape'. She wasn't pleased and kept hissing at the horrible human that was dogging her every step! But she seemed to really enjoy the outdoors and despite her arthritis did a full tour of the grounds!

Sad news: Harriet, who was 18, was put to sleep 2 weeks ago (I thought she'd been homed) but she had lots of problems so the vet thought it best. Alison, the duty manager, asked me about Foggy and when I explained told me they'd had to have The Lodger put to sleep for much the same reason this week. He was FIV+ but had suffered for months with a sort of IBS problem and they finally decided he'd had enough. I felt really sad, but I was glad I'd spent time in the past giving him fuss and attention. He was a typical stray but with the most unusual colouring, and it's very sad that he's gone.

Red - are you and Lyle still going to the rehoming centre near you?
    • CommentTimeMay 6th, 2012 2:48pm (May 6th 2012)

That's cute! Where do the free-rangers go then? Do they just go out for a while for a change of scenery and then go back inside?

Yep, we still go :smile: Think we will have to give it up when we move as it would take a few buses to get there and quite a long time...there's a Border Collie rescue near where we'll be living I think though (no idea how I've missed it before) and they have some very broken Border Collies there...so we're gonna ask if we can volunteer there. I'd love to work with the dogs if we couldn't walk them, counter conditioning and stuff.

Laest news on the house...landlord still hasn't replied to the email sent last month, but all of a sudden there's a 'to let' sign outside our house! Oh well, at least he knows :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 7th, 2012 12:00am (May 7th 2012)

The free-rangers don't sleep in pens. Grizelda (a huge tortie and white with a personality to match her name) sleeps in the one office, Candy (evil Candy) sleeps in the other, and Sebastian used to sleep in reception, so I assume Chloe will be taking his old bed. They are all cats that had been in pens for over a year without a sniff of an adoption.

The border collie rescue would be great for you - you should take Kasper along as a referee for you!

Nice man - shame he hasn't learnt any manners. What's the date for the move?
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2012 11:52am (May 8th 2012) edited

Haha, evil Candy! :tooth:

Eh, I don't think we'll be going to the Collie rescue...reading all the pages on their website and it talks a lot about dominance, respect and being a pack leader. Not for me then. I'm not going to volunteer somewhere where I'd have to keep schtum or argue with the staff, and have to watch already broken collies being yanked around...

I was gonna email them and ask if they took on volunteers for walking, clicker training, counter conditioning etc but I don't think I'll bother. The woman who runs the rescue is very old school, and not in a good way. I'll possibly go as a visitor and see the way they treat the dogs and ask questions, and if I think it's passable I'd send an enquiry after that...but to be honest I'm not sure it's even worth a visit :(

Still haven't had a response from our landlord, somehow I don't think we'll be getting one :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2012 11:15pm (May 9th 2012)

That's a good idea Red. But you're right, there's no point in going if they don't use methods you agree with.

I forgot to post that Emmett passed with flying colours at the vets! No cataracts, no need to check for high blood pressure, and no charge!! Yipee!
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 1:27pm (May 10th 2012)

That's awesome news, congrats Emmett :)

Next door have given out our mobile number to strangers wanting to view the house...seriously?! :cursing:

And we phoned the letting agents for our next place to check they'd got the guarantor form Lyle's parents had sent, and the guy just casually mentioned how Lyle's dad would have to bring photo ID and step into the office to prove he's real, he has to be there in person when we sign some forms!! What??

So...we can't ask Lyle's dad to drive all the way down here for that, especially because they'll be coming in a week or so for Lyle's birthday...but we can't wait that long either. So I'm having to try ask my dad if he'll be guarantor as he can be there in person a lot easier, but that means our moving date has been pushed back...rant rant rant, and this is in the best thread!
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2012 5:23pm (May 10th 2012) edited

My dad wouldn't guarantor for us, but when Lyle phoned his dad after he'd finished work, his dad said he'd drive down to us and be there no problem...we didn't even ask him :bigsmile: We were so relieved and so so grateful! Monday would be best but he even said he'd take a day off work, so everything is back on track. What a stupid way of doing it though, we've never needed the guarantor there before!

We will have to buy Lyle's dad a pressie to say thanks. Pretty cool that he will be the first person to see the house other than us, as we should be getting the keys straight away :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2012 12:05am (May 11th 2012)

I can't believe your landlord has given out your phone number! That must be against the law surely. Its not your job to field calls from prospective tenants. REmember to tell them about the leak in the roof and the holes in the floor!
    • CommentTimeMay 11th, 2012 11:48pm (May 11th 2012)

Danny has a job! He hasn't got the official letter yet, but I have it on good authority that it's on it's way. I was so pleased I cried! Maybe now he can start getting his life together and moving forwards. More details once I know them, but needed to share!!
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2012 3:01pm (May 12th 2012) edited

Posted By: KatebI suppose different agents have different rules, but I can see that they could well have been scammed with fake guarantors before. It's the fault of the criminal minds out there - why can't people just be honest?!

They already have photo ID and a report from his work, what more do they need?! And they can't get the forms ready by Monday, which is his dad's day off, which means he'll have to take a day off work...

We didn't have time to tell the prospective tenants! Two miserable looking chavs walked in, went upstairs, came down and left - barely said three words!! Next door will love it if *they* get the house though :tooth:

That's great news!
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2012 3:07pm (May 12th 2012) edited

best: went to Cullingworth fair with a friend who's just off crutches, it was awesome! The weather was sunny for the first day in weeks, so the fair is lucky! There were a lot of miserable dogs being pulled around in the crowds amidst loud speakers, steam trains and carnival rides, but we had a good time.

We went on the fun house and one of the rides that flings you up into the air, then I had a go on hook a duck and won a fish!! I called him Zombie Sheep after the zombie on the side of the fun house (it was supposed to be Woody from Toy Story but he had green skin and red eyes!) and the poor sheep and lambs in a pen by the farm / meat produce tent. They were lovely but very scared, and didn't have enough room to move in the pen and idiot people were reaching over to try stroke them and making them freak and run into the sides :sad:

We had such a good time our friend is trying persuade us to go again tomorrow!! :tooth:

Kasper is over the moon happy because our friend came back here and he hasn't seen him for ages :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 12th, 2012 11:32pm (May 12th 2012)

I was so pleased that Ashleigh and Pudsey won Britain's Got Talent! There were far too many singers and dancers - they're meant to be choosing an act for the variety show! - and he's such a lovely dog. Even better is the relationship between him and Ashleigh, and seeing just how much she adores her dog.
    • CommentTimeMay 13th, 2012 2:46pm (May 13th 2012)

I was very impressed with what a great trainer she was for her age.
    • CommentTimeMay 14th, 2012 5:57pm (May 14th 2012)

I saw them for the first time yesterday; what a wonderful relationship they had! Lovely to see.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 6:54pm (May 16th 2012)

best: we're getting the keys on Friday, almost for certain! It's been an absolute nightmare to sort, we almost didn't get them until the 23rd (Lyle's birthday!!) when we had to be out by the 26th...but I think we've argued it back around now :smile:

We were in Bingley a few days ago so went for a walk around the two woods near the new house, and they both seem really nice. I'll put some photos up...
    • CommentTimeMay 16th, 2012 11:26pm (May 16th 2012)

Yay!!! So glad you'll be moving soon - look forward to you getting back on line after the usual break in service due to no internet!!!! (with photos of the new place!!)
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 5:31pm (May 17th 2012) edited

I take yesterday's best back...the office shuts in 15 minutes and we still don't know if we're signing tomorrow. Lyle's dad has booked the day off work, but he doesn't know if he's coming, and we've phoned the agency four times today. They forgot to get something from the landlord, and haven't been able to get in touch with him all day...they can't sign the keys over tomorrow without this thing, but if they don't get it by Monday we can just sign then without it...what?!

But Lyle's dad can't do it on Monday so the earliest would be Tuesday. Wednesday is Lyle's birthday and I really don't want to do loads of **** on Lyle's birthday, and we have to be completely out of this place by Saturday...still can't book a moving van because we don't know when we're moving!! The moving date written on the form by the agency was the 15th...that turned out well! :001_rolleyes:

I need to stop posting house news in best and move it across to rant...! I'm just really hoping we can get the keys tomorrow so it doesn't ruin Lyle's birthday and so we don't have to run around like headless chickens to be out by next weekend...
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2012 9:13pm (May 17th 2012)

But it'll all work out in the end - it's just a huge pain in the butt getting to the end!!! Fingers crossed for you. :fingerscrossed: xx
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 5:51am (May 18th 2012)

I hope all goes well and you get the keys today, Red.:atpeace: Keeping fingers crossed that you get it all worked out.
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2012 3:13pm (May 18th 2012)

Well we didn't get the keys, but after lots of Lyle snapping down the phone at them they seemed to realise they were being ridiculous. We came to the arrangement that Lyle's dad could sign his forms today, and we could sign and get the keys on Monday - hurray! :smile:

So we had a day out with Lyle's dad showing him around Bingley and near the new house, which he really liked. Kasper was fine with him too and Lyle's dad was saying how polite and calm he was being, which was nice.

Booking a moving van for Tuesday so that Lyle's birthday can be a relaxed day, then we have to quickly try and build up Kasper's crate time so that we can go out with Lyle's family on Saturday when they come to visit! :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2012 10:45pm (May 28th 2012)

There are so many kittens at the rehoming centre it is one HUGE cuteness fest! The sad thing is that maternity is so full that the kittens who's eyes are open have to be put in the admissions corridor, which could leave them susceptible to infections from other cats coming in. But it can't be helped and in another couple of weeks they'll be off to new homes. I'm not really a kitten person but there's a cute tabby ...!

There are 2 Norwegian Forest cats in - don't know how come they're there, assume they've been surrendered. They only came in on Friday and are still quite nervous, but I managed to get Ruby, the older female, to come and have some fuss. Maggie is an older female who's been in admissions for a few weeks now. She has the strangest look about her, and I couldn't decide why, but I think it's because her eyes and pupils are round. Most cats have almond shaped eyes and slit pupils, but she is so different. A bit scary to look at, but she is a sweet girl and loves fuss and attention.

But I'm saving the best news til last. Lola is ... (wait for it) ... reserved!!!!! And it's an amazing home. A local National Trust property recently took in another cat from the centre and he was a great success, so now they want a female that is used to living as a stray so won't mind being outdoors and in the grounds, but is friendly so will welcome visitors. I hope it all goes well for her and she settles in. It also means that once she's settled I could go visit her!!! Am keeping my fingers crossed that there's no problems and that she settles in and enjoys a wonderful life.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2012 1:53pm (May 30th 2012)

That's great news about Lola :)

I'm just popping on using Lyle's phone to say the move went smoothly and we are fully settled! Old landlords still being ridiculous but the new house is lovely - and we get internet on the 12th June ;)
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2012 6:07pm (May 30th 2012)

Good news from everyone!!
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2012 10:51pm (May 30th 2012)

Don't forget we want pictures Red! Glad it's all gone well - hope the pets like it too!
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2012 7:02am (May 31st 2012)

I'm glad the move went well, Red and that you will be back with us soon. You are greatly missed while you are away.

Kate, that is wonderful news about Lola..I hope it goes well with her and that she will be happy there.:clap:
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2012 10:36pm (May 31st 2012)

When I hear she's settled in I will go visit and update!
    • CommentTimeJun 5th, 2012 10:56pm (Jun 5th 2012)

Lola went to her new home on Thursday. Hopefully they will send an update at some point. There were a few empty cages on Saturday, presumably because of the bank holiday days. Still some very sweet cats in there though - Sooty has a crooked ear but is very friendly. There are 4 FIV+ cats who will probably be there for a long while - each of them was a stray tom cat but are all very sweet. Maybelline is a very cute young black and white cat with a very black face - quite unusual and strikingly pretty. Also very friendly so will hopefully be snapped up by some lovely little girl looking for a friend!
    • CommentTimeJun 6th, 2012 5:30pm (Jun 6th 2012)

I wish you'd stoppit, Kate - or I'll be up there with a cat carrier! :rolling: such good news about Lola, bless her.
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2012 3:28pm (Jun 7th 2012) edited

My best today = My car, which, for the first time after 15 years, had failed it's MOT.
    This morning it came back with a clean sheet!

I am considering giving up driving, getting too old now and worry if I am up to it.

For Sale - One Red 1997 Nissan Micra, less than 32,000 miles (Know this is right as we've had it from new.) Never had a bump or dent but, like it's owner, is a bit faded...
    • CommentTimeJun 7th, 2012 5:38pm (Jun 7th 2012)

Well if you haven't had an accident and you don't go far in it, why give it up Ollie? Are you not confident driving? I don't think age means anything; my husband's 76 and I'd drive anywhere with him, but several much younger friends would have to sedate me to get me in their cars!
    • CommentTimeJun 8th, 2012 6:21pm (Jun 8th 2012)

Your car sounds like it's going to be a great deal for someone, Ollie..but giving up driving? Are you close to bus lines where you live? If I gave up driving I'd have to walk over 3 miles to catch a bus to go anyplace.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2012 9:19pm (Jun 9th 2012)

Public transport isn't pleasant. Try it out before you decide to give up your car! You won't get much money for it - the only people that benefit from 2nd hand cars is 2nd hand car dealers! Saying that, at least you wouldn't have to lay out for insurance etc. Are your shops close? If you need to get somewhere different quickly, for example if a friend was in a hospital 20 miles away and you wanted to visit, is there someone you can guarantee would give you a lift? Family say they will but they may be too busy to fit in with your schedule.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th, 2012 9:22pm (Jun 9th 2012)

My best: I have a new favourite at rehoming. Maggie. She is black and white, about 9 years old, tubby, and with the oddest face! Her eyes are round instead of being almond shaped and it makes her look bug-eyed. But she is so sweet and lovely. Everytime she saw me coming she made a bee-line for the pen door!
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2012 6:39pm (Jun 10th 2012) edited

I have a bus stop quite close to go into town, or even city - um, long time since I've been to one of those. Village shops a walkable (once I get my leg back to normal) hilly half mile but not cheap.
    Son in Law has a taxi and they live less than 100 yards away!!!! = Bus (have OAP pass) to town and "our" taxi home. That sounds ideal.:face-smile:

On balance it seems a good idea to let car go. Though it'll be with a tear in my eye as it was a retirement gift to hubby from his close friend boss. The very first car he'd ever owned.

Thanks for helping me to think it through.
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2012 8:34pm (Jun 10th 2012)

What a lovely gift! He must've been a good boss to work for.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2012 11:01am (Jun 11th 2012)

yes, My Ron taught him all he knew about motor bikes. Pete was a works rider for Royal Enfield, off road stuff.
    Pete built up his garage business until he got into millionaire state. It never affected him though and he was always the same down to earth Yorkshire bloke.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2012 4:33pm (Jun 11th 2012)

Do your children need a car? Or a grandchild? I passed mine on to my nephew when I bought a new car; he was v. grateful as he could use the money he'd saved towards his - frankly criminal - insurance premiums.
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2012 11:27pm (Jun 11th 2012)

That's a good idea CC - its such a shame to have to get rid of a car that goes OK and that you know so well. Saying that, I gave my son my focus that just needed a service, and he traded it in for a citroen within 6 months. What a nail that car was, and from a large dodgy dealership too.
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2012 10:15am (Jun 12th 2012)

Giving it to a relative or friend sound an ideal solution.
    Many thanks for that idea CC.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 12:41pm (Jun 14th 2012)

best: I am getting a new bike today! As long as they have one I like :smile: I shouldn't really be spending so much money, but I really want to go cycling by the canal and we only have one bike...and I'm not waiting to ask for one for my birthday, the weather would be miserable then! So...I'm just gonna go for it :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2012 6:48pm (Jun 14th 2012) edited

I fell in love and bought a bike, the one I thought I would end up getting...as soon as I got on her it was love! She's incredibly light, smooth gears, awesome breaks...ooh, I love her! Rode her along the canal and back, took her up a steep hill, but can't wait to take her out again! Here she is with the Apollo bike, it's a terrible photo but you can see she's very pretty :smile:
      drunk18.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2012 8:11pm (Jun 18th 2012)

Your bike is very pretty, Red! I wish I could still ride a bike, but both of my knees were wreaked in a car accident years ago and it hurts too bad now to ride one.:face-sad:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2012 5:25pm (Jun 19th 2012) edited

Ah no that's rubbish! :( I love cycling I just don't get out as much as I should...unless you count the exercise bike I guess. It's perfect weather today, if a little hot, so I might have a ride along the canal to Bingley and back this evening when the sun has dipped and it's cooled down :smile:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2012 11:26pm (Jun 23rd 2012)

I'm shattered today! There were only 2 of us volunteers at rehoming today, and they were a member of staff down too. Me and Becky cleaned the homing corridor and it took us until 11.30! With 4 of us we're often finished by 10.15, but I love to give the cats some attention when I'm cleaning and so does Becky so we end up being slow.

Oliver, an FIV boy who has been adopted by someone in London, has really changed since he was brought in a few weeks ago. He is a white boy with tabby bits on his head and tail, but was absolutely filthy when he came and his legs were orange from the dirt. He was terrified too, but if you were quiet could get him to let you fuss him. Now he's a fuss monster! He is clean, has lovely soft fur, and puts his legs around your neck and hugs you! He is due to go next week so hopefully I'll get to see him before he leaves.

The duty manager asked me if I wanted a permanent job there after my rehoming efforts today! The centre is full and no cats were due out. However, 2 people came and collected their cats early, and then I rehomed 6 and they booked some home visits too. All in an hour! All it takes is to be friendly and chatty to people and they reciprocate by feeling comfortable enough to take their time and choose the right cat for them. Gives you a good feeling! (I rehomed 5 cats last week too!)

Maggie, who was my favourite, was rehomed the day I posted about her. My new favourite is Twilight. I thought she'd gone when I got there today but they'd moved her further down the corridor as she was stressed by being in the first cage by the door. She's a lot happier now! I also adore Dexter and Digby - very sweet boys.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2012 3:56am (Jun 25th 2012)

Well there you go Kate; if the NHS dumps on you you have another career in the offing!
    I really admire the work you do; I just know I'd get too emotionally involved.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2012 11:21pm (Jun 25th 2012)

I must admit I do to. One girl that came in didn't look like she should have a cat, or any pet! She chose a cat I really like and I wanted to put her off it but her daughter liked it too and the cat liked the girl. However I think they may decide that her home wasn't appropriate for that cat. She lives in a block of flats with a big drop off the landing/over the stairs so needs a cat that is wise enough not to step through the railings!
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 8:12pm (Jun 28th 2012) edited

best: we are being considered by the RSPCA as dog walkers as we have past experience :cheer: It means we'd volunteer at the local branch and we could work with fearful / abused dogs, and I'd be able to train, counter condition etc. so that they'd be able to be rehomed :bigsmile:

We haven't been approved yet, but they've actually sent us an application form...then we have an interview and IF we're accepted we do training etc...fingers crossed.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2012 11:41pm (Jun 28th 2012)

That's fantastic Red! What a wonderful opportunity for you to try out your techniques on some other dogs and improve their lives. I hope they accept you.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 2:27am (Jun 29th 2012)

Excellent news; you'll be fantastic dog walkers as you're so patient and experienced.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 4:58am (Jun 29th 2012)

Red that is wonderful news. I know you will be able to make a real difference in the dogs lives that you will be training..I've got my fingers crossed for you to get the job.:_peace:
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2012 2:35pm (Jun 29th 2012)

Thanks everyone...I really hope we get the 'jobs' and enjoy the work. It'd be really cool if it was kind of like Animal Care's setting but I was doing more serious training work as well as dog walking...trying not to get my hopes up though :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 2:18pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

best: I am booked in to get a tattoo on Saturday :smile: Been thinking long and hard and have settled for a wordsearch tattoo...I'll post a pic once I get it and see if anyone can get all eleven words ;)
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2012 9:53pm (Jul 3rd 2012)

That has got to be the strangest tattoo I've ever heard of! I love a good wordsearch though - looking forward to playing!

Have you seen http://ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/
    There are some terrible ones on there!
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 5:16pm (Jul 4th 2012)

I'll tell you the wordsearch answers now; LYLE KASPAR MUM DAD LENNY PEARL SPRITE... am I close? :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2012 6:28pm (Jul 4th 2012) edited

Oh yeah we were laughing at some of those, although I actually really like a few of them. That first one is awesome! What a work of art!! There's also a site listing bipolar tattoos that were funny too, supposed ones people got whilst manic :smile:

I always love the ones that are spelt wrong - at least with mine you wouldn't be able to tell :bigsmile:

Oh no, mine's far more random than that CC!! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2012 3:09pm (Jul 5th 2012)

best: last night at about midnight whilst doing Lenny's run I heard this really weird sound from next door's garden...like an animal was either gasping for breath or scratching at wood or something. I was worried it might be her elderly cat in trouble so sent Lyle in to get the torch, then went and shone the light through the fence. Nothing.

Five minutes later the noise started again, so I snuck down and had a look. After a bit I saw something shuffling, and at first freaked because I thought it was a huge rat...it was a hedgehog!!! The noise was it snuffling about for food! :rolling:

It was really loud though, we could hear it from the top of our garden!
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2012 11:49pm (Jul 5th 2012)

We used to have one visit us when we lived in our old house and I was amazed at how loud it was too! They're even worse when they're eating - no manners at all!!!!! I wish we had some hedgehogs around here, we're overrun with slugs. Yuk!
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2012 2:20pm (Jul 6th 2012)

Ah I forgot they ate slugs. Let's hope they polish most of the ones round here off, I'm sick of fishing them out of Lenny's run!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2012 10:49pm (Jul 7th 2012)

My best: rehoming are going to give me a Cat Protection t-shirt! They said because I spend time helping people choose cats that it would be a good idea to give me one so that they know I can help them. Jeanette (who's only been coming a few months) is getting one too, which is a bit annoying in that I've had to wait 18 months, but at least I'm getting one!!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2012 1:31pm (Jul 8th 2012)

Photo!!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2012 9:18pm (Jul 10th 2012)

I suspect it'll be several weeks until I actually get it (then it'll probably be the wrong size knowing my luck with clothing!) but I'll post a photo of it. I doubt I'll be in it though!!! :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2012 9:32am (Jul 23rd 2012)

Best: ginger hen eating from my hand and not being scared of strokes :)
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2012 3:45pm (Jul 23rd 2012)

Ooo, lovely, Neil. it's fantastic that she trusts you already! She's evidently fearless like Ginger in Chicken Run! :D
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 12:14am (Jul 24th 2012)

Picked up my new reading glasses today - can see again!
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 2:26pm (Jul 24th 2012)

So you haven't realised that for the past three weeks you've been posting on the Alabama Tractor Wrestling Forum then...?
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 6:48pm (Jul 24th 2012)

Kate, I'm glad that you can see again...CC, thanks for the laugh..I really need that today.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2012 8:10pm (Jul 24th 2012)

No, I don't think I would've realised!

Things are exceptionally bad at work too so have been very stressed the past few weeks. Sorry, this is meant to be the positive thread so I'll try to be positive! I was offered a job on Friday - won't go into the detail, too boring, but it was a case that if I didn't get that job I would be made redundant as my job has 'disappeared' in the new structure. This government have managed to completely decimate the NHS. The job I've been offered is 1/5th my job, 4/5ths ... well, I don't know what the other 4/5ths will be doing! I should be excited but I can't really say I am. What I am pleased about is that I'll still be able to pay the mortgage and the bills!
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2012 5:13am (Jul 25th 2012)

Kate, I hope the job will turn out to be something that you will really like..I've got my fingers crossed that you are going to like it. How soon will the change be taking place?
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2012 4:06pm (Jul 25th 2012)

It's a job!! Don't knock it in this climate! Is it still NHS?
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2012 9:58pm (Jul 25th 2012)

I know CC, and I'm not - in fact I am very appreciative of the fact I have a job! It is still in the NHS - it will be working for the local CCG (the new bit that the GPs are doing). The other part (the CSS) will be privatised in 2 years time. There are less than 40 of us in this CCG, and the CSS (which will cover Birmingham, Black Country and Solihull) will have around 400 jobs. They currently have about 600 staff. They are hoping for natural wastage (leavers and retirees) and they will be offering a 'resignation scheme' where they will offer redundancy terms and conditions without using the redundancy word. That way they can hold their heads up and say "we haven't made anyone redundant" and won't have to report how much it's cost.

Not sure Lynn - everyone else is either already working for them or due to start at the beginning of August. I have got to relinquish my current work first so am looking at the end of August at the earliest.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2012 6:01am (Jul 27th 2012)

Do hope the new job works out Kate.

How funny, I picked up my new reading glasses too same day as you!!!!
    MIne have purple speckled frames and I con sea write proper agin two.

Now I can see what I cooked Brian for tea and he didnt even notice it was burnt ha ha ha!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2012 8:55am (Jul 27th 2012)

Maybe he needs new glasses too.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2012 2:48pm (Jul 27th 2012)

Posted By: Trevs Mum
    Now I can see what I cooked Brian for tea and he didnt even notice it was burnt

Charcoal is excellent for the digestion. That's what i tell Eric, anyway...
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2012 7:18pm (Jul 27th 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenCharcoal is excellent for the digestion. That's what i tell Eric, anyway...

I tell Don the same thing, CC..but, he's still a non-believer. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeAug 9th, 2012 11:12pm (Aug 9th 2012)

Went to the butterfly farm in Stratford yesterday, and then for a wander around the town, into the churches, and back along the river. Never realised there were so many different types of butterfly!
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2012 6:44pm (Aug 10th 2012)

Writing to you from the villa in Algarve that we rent on occasions (when we have saved up enough loot).
    Lovely sun, hottest day so far here, it wasn't too bad in UK yesterday ether!
    The girls (teens) are in the pool. I 've been in once so far but we've only been here since mid afternoon.
    It's wonderful to be away with family who look after this old lady so well.

We did have a problem with the car hire firm who unexpectedly took the accident money out of my account !,500 (which they return if no claims are made at the end) and then the hire cost. My bank couldn't stand this and blocked everything. Spent two hours sorting it, tired and very hungry, decided to let the banks communicate with each other, took a taxi to the villa, and to return tomorrow for the car.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2012 5:19pm (Aug 11th 2012)

Have a lovely restful time, Ollie, and come back raring to go! Hope they sort the bank out though; it's horrible when something like that happens.
    Enjoy being Ollie-coddled!
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2012 10:03pm (Aug 13th 2012)

Isn't that one of those crafty cons where they put it in a high interest account for a day or so to make extra money? (Or do they usually do that??)

Hope you have a lovely week Ollie!
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2012 10:54pm (Aug 13th 2012)

It took three days to sort this out. Then a phone call to my bank to explian we were out here in Portugal with children and not enough available money now to buy food. The Bank, THE CO-OOP, were very sympaththetic and took the block off, though went to great lengths to say this was a very unusual thing for them to do. We are very grateful to them and will sing ther praises for a while now.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2012 7:28am (Aug 14th 2012)

Have a great break Ollie.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2012 11:36pm (Aug 14th 2012)

Good to hear a bank have been (gasp!) helpful!!! Maybe we should all swap to them and say 'Ollie recommended you'!
    • CommentTimeAug 16th, 2012 5:30am (Aug 16th 2012)

I hope you have a wonderful time, Ollie..it sure sounds like a lot of fun. It's so great that you have such a nice family to go with.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd, 2012 6:48pm (Aug 22nd 2012)

The best thing - one of the new girls is laying is beautiful brown eggs, smaller than a Cadbury's Cream Egg! Very cute...
    • CommentTimeSep 12th, 2012 11:44pm (Sep 12th 2012)

Wow, been a long time since something good was posted. A sign of the times maybe?

I am now the proud owner of a kindle! It's my Christmas present (from last year!) off hubby. He was supposed to be buying me clothes, but I hate going clothes shopping with him, so switched to a kindle instead. Decided the first book I will read on it is the first 'grown up' book I read when I was about 13. The Stand by Stephen King. It's a long one so will take me a while!
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2012 10:58am (Sep 13th 2012)

Mentioning books...
    Grand daughter (15yrs tomorrow) mentioned "Fifty shades of Grey" being read by all her pals. So granny here sent for the set... then I read the reviews to find it is quite raunchy. It took a couple of weeks consulting with her Mum before letting her read it. She'd have got it from her friends anyway.
    She hasn't asked for the second book yet, so I take it that it isn't absolutely fascinating her. :face-plain:
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2012 1:26pm (Sep 13th 2012)

Posted By: ollie in UK"Fifty shades of Grey"

I've had a Kindle for about 18 months and wouldn't be without it. Last week Karen, who isn't what you would call a reader, asked about this "Fifty shades of Grey" and could I get it for my Kindle and when I told her i already had it she promptly stole my kindle:willy_nilly: and I haven't seen either of them since:rant_red2:
    • CommentTimeSep 13th, 2012 4:53pm (Sep 13th 2012)

Funny, I wouldn't have a kindle if you gave me one; you can't drop it in the bath then dry it out on the radiator; you can't lend a book to a friend afterwards if you like it (which is why they made the kindle in the first place); you can't buy the back catalogue of an author you like for a penny a time; you can't smell that lovely smell of a new book; you can't prop a bed up with it (well you can, but it'd be expensive); and finally, you'd have loads of empty shelves in your front room/bedroom/bathroom/music room!
    • CommentAuthorzz9zzzalpha
    • CommentTimeSep 14th, 2012 11:02am (Sep 14th 2012)

Posted By: chief chickenI wouldn't have a kindle if you gave me one

I'll take out the Jiffy bag then:rolling: