Site Tag Cloud

• CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2009 5:55am (Feb 17th 2009)

Posted By: KatebI know parrots are in short supply, but if you really want to be a pirate Trev surely there's something easier than a chicken!

(You should've put the pics in the UCE thread!)

lol. Kate what thread is that ?

eeeeewww RED ! lol.

I was lucky enough to avoid mud and poop, but my wallet and watch went missing so CC might be right about the mugging, ha ha.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2009 3:59pm (Feb 17th 2009)

Unexpected Chicken Sighting, Trev. Happy birthday! May the Chicken of Happiness sit on your back. Sit, I said...
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2009 5:16pm (Feb 17th 2009) edited

We are having an OAP Night at the Students' Union to raise money for different charities, with the majority of it going to Help The Aged. Me and some friends trawled round the charity shops of Newcastle today and i found my old man's costume for just £3!!

oap night

oap
    I got some black striped trousers too, but am obviously not wearing them in the pic :P
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2009 10:16pm (Feb 17th 2009)

Would I be pushing my luck to say you should've borrowed something from your dad? Yes, I thought so. I won't say that then.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th, 2009 11:23pm (Feb 17th 2009) edited

Oh my god!

goes away and sulks...
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 12:11am (Feb 18th 2009)

My dad is waaaay trendier than me (it's my mum's doing) :P
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 10:29am (Feb 18th 2009)

lol, looks like fun. What does the "OAP night" stand for ? I like dressing up.... I went to a party as a police car once !
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 3:02pm (Feb 18th 2009)

OAP means Old Age Pensioner.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 7:36pm (Feb 18th 2009)

You don't look much like an old man in the pics, Red.
    That's a good thing, though, really.

Perhaps the trousers will magically transform you. Like when Mr Ben goes into the changing room and ends up as a real knight fighting dragons. Except with less dragons and more hoarding old peppermints at the back of a drawer.

Oh dear, I've made the content of Post Yer Pics resemble Somewhere To Talk To Yourself...
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 7:37pm (Feb 18th 2009)

Don't forget my moustache :cool:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 7:38pm (Feb 18th 2009)

haha. Mr Ben was a great programme. I remember the caveman episode. :)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 7:38pm (Feb 18th 2009)

Whoopsy i seemed to have cross-posted...AGAIN! :rolling:
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th, 2009 7:40pm (Feb 18th 2009)

What kind of moustache? With the black beret-ish flat cap and the jumper you're already dangerously close to resembling a stereotypical Frenchman rather than Old Man in those photos.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 3:03pm (Feb 25th 2009) edited

twister
    This is how we pass the time at uni :cool:
    TWISTER! :boogie:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 5:30pm (Feb 25th 2009)

Ah, the pursuit of intellectual perfection...:rolling:
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 12:08am (Feb 27th 2009)

LOL!::computer::bigsmile: There is no way i could catch up on this thread ! UMmmm......I leave for a few days and y'all just run off with it all ! trev the hens are cute ! they were all lined up at the glass door for a look at the new human. REd... All i can say about you is hEHEHEHE!:jumping:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 6:29pm (Feb 27th 2009)

I think that's all that needs to be said :cool:
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 1:40am (Feb 28th 2009)

hehehehehe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 2:10pm (Feb 28th 2009) edited

I've never posted a photo on here successfully, but I think this should work.
    I showed my new camera to the chickens and Miss Maud was the only one who dared to come near:

Maud
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 2:11pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Yaaaaaaay! Success.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 5:16pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Aww she is very cute!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:21pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Hah! She's got her beady eye on you!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 12:09am (Mar 1st 2009)

Look at all those shades in her feathers. Glorious!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 12:49am (Mar 1st 2009)

Preety chicky! :)
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 5:02pm (Mar 1st 2009) edited

Last year Maud became a fierce Mummy Hen and now the only one above her in the pecking order is Cindy Hen, who has anger management problems.

Cindyhen
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 5:54pm (Mar 1st 2009)

She even LOOKS cross! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 7:24pm (Mar 1st 2009)

Cindy Hen really does look like she has serious anger problems, Victoria. Wow if looks could kill we'd all be dead.:smilielol5:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 7:26pm (Mar 1st 2009)

I hope you don't stand too near the wire, Victoria!
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 7:46pm (Mar 1st 2009)

She makes some very angry clucking noises. If another hen is in her way she ends up absolutely fuming at them.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 7:49pm (Mar 1st 2009)

Could you feed her some Prozac through the fence, Victoria? :D
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2009 4:12pm (Mar 2nd 2009)

Love her hair though :cool:
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 4:49am (Mar 6th 2009)

Oh cute! Is she the one(cindy hen) who sleep in the bushes?
    the pic you posted on what are they saying.I asked becaus I recognised the crest the hen had.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 4:50am (Mar 6th 2009)

littl Maud is a beauty! I like the blue cast to her feathers.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 7:20pm (Mar 6th 2009) edited

Posted By: frogdustIs she the one(cindy hen) who sleep in the bushes?

Yes, the photo on what are they saying is of Cindy.

Posted By: frogdustI asked becaus I recognised the crest the hen had.

Her comb used to be bigger than it is now - last year she had a big red comb that wobbled over her head feathers when she moved and big wattles, but over winter they went small and light pink. They're nearly back to how they were now.

(Has anyone got any idea why that could have happened - I'm wondering if it was because of the cold?)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 5:27am (Mar 7th 2009)

:_oops: wow ! that is a good question. Hopefuly some one will know why . i know i havent a clue! Sorry
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 9:26am (Mar 7th 2009) edited

I can't remember if you said she was a battery rescue..?

Basically the comb is how they lose heat when they are too hot (I think) - battery hens usually have huge floppy combs as they've been kept in bad conditions (all the ammonia and extreme heat), but they gradually return to normal size when put in better conditions.

Of course if she's been free-ranging for years then she could have just had a bigger comb over summer, then through winter it might have shrunk because she didn't need to lose heat through it.

The colour indicates how ready they are to lay - when it's bright red they'll probably be laying eggs, when it goes paler pink in winter they've stopped laying - no idea why but there you go :)
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 12:25pm (Mar 7th 2009)

Thanks Neil.

I think she's always been free-ranging - she wasn't very old when my neighbours got her and insisted on sleeping up a tree from the start, so I think she must've always been very free range.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 10:20pm (Mar 7th 2009)

It sounds like a hormonal cycle then?
    that is a very intriging thing .Hmmm.
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2009 1:54am (Mar 19th 2009)

puppet
    Here is a puppet I made tonight, my mum sent me the stuff up so all I had to do was make it. His name is Tiger - original huh? :)
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2009 4:08am (Mar 19th 2009)

Your Tiger is just darling, Red...I like the name.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 19th, 2009 9:14pm (Mar 19th 2009)

Oooo scary!!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2009 6:26pm (Mar 20th 2009)

Yer, I'm frit...
    • CommentTimeMar 20th, 2009 7:02pm (Mar 20th 2009)

Thanks :) You should've seen the elephant my friend made, now THAT was scary!!
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2009 11:29pm (Mar 21st 2009) edited

Photobucket

Here is a pic of the holiday house we are going to on Monday for a week. It's at Aireys Inlet about half an hour from Geelong with wonderful ocean views. We are really looking forward to the break.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2009 11:37pm (Mar 21st 2009)

Photobucket

Here is the other view out to sea, it's just such a lovely view and I wanted to share it with you. I will chat again upon our return.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 5:02am (Mar 22nd 2009)

Oh Julie that is a BEAUTIFUL view! I hope you have a wonderful time.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 6:03am (Mar 22nd 2009)

Thanks Lynn I am getting very excited :hurray:
    and have almost packed everything and I have the bubbley and the gin and tonic!!. We take a bit of food to cook and also plan to BBQ and visit some of the local cafes. The weather is looking to stay around mid to low 20's so should be very nice.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 3:05pm (Mar 22nd 2009)

Have a lovely time...and NOT TOO MUCH TONIC! :drinkparty:
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 4:38pm (Mar 22nd 2009)

You mean you're not taking us with you?! Your son travels half way around the world and keeps us updated on what he's doing, and you aren't going to be doing the same?! You should be ashamed. Anyone would think you'll have beautiful views, good food, relaxation ... oh, I suppose you will won't you! ;)

Have a lovely time - that view is magnificent!
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 9:45pm (Mar 22nd 2009)

Thanks girls. he he he, just packing my last case of tonic water, wish I had a laptop and I could keep you posted.
    :cat: We are taking out pussy cat Thomas too, he travels beautifully, loves to look out of the window as we travel along. We always stay at pet friendly accommodation and as he is an indoor boy he doesn't rampage around and stir up the local wildlife. Will post pics upon our return.:chicken::bunny_cute::bunny::frog2::fish::running_dog::rat::mouse2:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 9:49pm (Mar 22nd 2009)

Have a great time, Julie! ;)
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 12:33am (Mar 23rd 2009)

I'm jealous.. :(
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 2:00am (Mar 23rd 2009)

Sorreeee I promise I will think of you all while I am away.
    Well that's it the car is packed, the cat is ready and the bubbley awaits, we are off.
    cheers everyone.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 4:30am (Mar 23rd 2009)

Have fun! and take lots of pictures!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 1:23pm (Mar 23rd 2009)

Yes..piccys!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 11:05pm (Mar 23rd 2009)

Looking forward to seeing photos of the travelling cat!!!!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2009 4:36am (Mar 24th 2009)

yes ! The kitty needs you to make him a photo album of the trip. kind of like the traveling Gnome :_photos:. pics of the kitty here and there and every where.:cat2:
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2009 9:51am (Mar 24th 2009) edited

What I would have given to have escaped the gales and cold to spend a bit of time sat looking out at that view...!

Have a lovely time, Julie!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 1:40am (Mar 26th 2009)

Lovely place, Julie. Have a fantastic holiday, see you when you get back!
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 8:19pm (Mar 29th 2009) edited

Pics taken last weekend, from home and a trip to Scarborough...

domino

doms
    Domino!

park
    Scarborough pics

b&w

beautiful

dog
    random but insanely cute dog :P

scarborough
    From l-r: dad, mum, nana, Joe

goose!
    Sorry there are so many once again...
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 9:34pm (Mar 29th 2009)

They are lovely pics Red.
    Treasure them. In years to come you will drool over them.. That is, when you join me at the drooling stage (and yes, I do!)
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 11:17pm (Mar 29th 2009)

Red, those are lovely pictures. Ollie is right, you will forever treasure the pictures in years to come.
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 11:23pm (Mar 29th 2009)

Just remember to date them and add some details too. On the back of hard copeis using suitable soft write pen/pencil.
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 11:24pm (Mar 29th 2009) edited

Now that is a VERY tiny mouse I have just seen in the coop there...
    • CommentTimeMar 29th, 2009 11:45pm (Mar 29th 2009)

I just saw it too Ollie! It does look very small.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st, 2009 12:25pm (Mar 31st 2009)

Thank you Ollie and Lynn, it was a lovely day out :001_smile:
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2009 6:05am (Apr 1st 2009)

Oh please! Do not feel bad about posting pics. I live for them as it gives me a look in your world.
    You have a wonderful talent. Thank you for shareing.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 1st, 2009 12:59pm (Apr 1st 2009)

Great pics Red. Look its a Canada goose!
    • CommentAuthorgoosegog
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:15pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

Barbara and her new chicks!
    • CommentAuthorgoosegog
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:16pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

• CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:20pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

Argh!!!! SO CUTE!!!! Makes me want to hatch out more chicks (was offered some fertile eggs but then remembered how much hassle it was so declined!)
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:21pm (Apr 3rd 2009) edited

I was just whinging in the other thread for pics - BEAUTIFUL! :heartsabove:

They are the cutest things...
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:26pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

oh how delightful, are they not the cutest little chicks ever. Mum looks real proud as well she is a lovey colour. I bet you are over the moon I know I would be.
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 12:27pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

It will be good to watch them grow so please keep us up to date with photo's of them
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 6:42pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

What darling little chicks!!!

I've been trying for a month to hatch out eggs from my Silkies with no luck at all..my roosters are all too young to know what they are doing. I guess I'm going to have to give them a lecture on the birds and the bees.*sigh*
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 8:08pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

Awwwwwww the little chickies are so cute.
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 8:55pm (Apr 3rd 2009) edited

Here is the chicken flapjack my friends at uni made to cheer me up. It did have a tail too, but I may have eaten it by this point :D

chicken flapjack
    It's the best thing i've ever eaten! :hurray:

Oh, that is my new phone on the left too...it's tiiiiiny!!
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 9:01pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

The hen flapjack is real good how thoughtful of them. It looks real tasty.
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 9:57pm (Apr 3rd 2009)

Barbara is lovely and her babies are soooo cute!!

Your friends were very kind to make that for you Red. Did you feel guilty eating it?!
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2009 8:48am (Apr 4th 2009)

Why has it got hotdog sausages for a beak and feet?!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2009 1:42pm (Apr 4th 2009)

I was thinking that too, but they look like chocolate fingers aswell.
    • CommentTimeApr 4th, 2009 4:46pm (Apr 4th 2009)

Posted By: Ace but they look like chocolate fingers aswell.

What Ace said ;)

That's just rude dad, marvel at my edible chicken and new phone! :cool:
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2009 1:38am (Apr 5th 2009) edited

One of our friends left E Block this morning but has to return tomorrow to pick the rest of his things up from his room, so we thought we'd leave him a little 'present' to let him know how upset we were that he left us :P

roof
    (note, none of this will cause any damage to walls, floors etc!)

menu

josh's room
    The take-away menus and plastic cups are all dangling from the ceiling with string :)

lol
    Ta da!

Hopefully Ace will be here to watch how long it takes him to get into his room :D
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2009 10:21am (Apr 5th 2009)

:rolling: haha that is so funny. I hope i am there to see him trying to get into his room because it'd be well funny. heehee
    • CommentTimeApr 5th, 2009 11:27pm (Apr 5th 2009) edited

Is he "dropping out" or moving to live elsewhere?

You worked really hard - well done!
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 11:09am (Apr 6th 2009)

Posted By: KatebIs he "dropping out" or moving to live elsewhere?

You worked really hard - well done!

No, hes just gone home for the Easter hols and we were annoyed that everyone was abandoning us...there's only three of us in the Block now! :)
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 11:52am (Apr 6th 2009)

The new chicks are delightful, and Barbara looks very proud of them. Have they got tiny tails by now, and proper feathery wings that they can use to hover if they run?
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 11:55am (Apr 6th 2009) edited

That's the most impressive flapjack I've ever seen, Red. And I've seen a few flapjacks, I suppose. Not a lot, but a few.

And I expect it's better than most if not all flapjacks I'm likely to see in the future. So really you've just ruined flapjacks for me...Thanks.:shocked:
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 12:31pm (Apr 6th 2009)

:rolling: Sorry Victoria...get one of your friends to bake you one :P
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 12:47pm (Apr 6th 2009)

Great photos of baby chickies goosegog
    Um what is flapjack eggsactly says she from OZ?
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 12:56pm (Apr 6th 2009)

Flapjack is made by mixing oats with melted butter and golden syrup, then baking it in a thin slab. It's quite soft and chewy when it's cooked.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 12:58pm (Apr 6th 2009)

It's not usually chicken shaped or covered in chocolate biscuits.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 1:00pm (Apr 6th 2009)

Oh now I get it thanks Victoria sounds yummy. My grand daughter is coming over tomorow, school holidays here for 2 weeks so we may have to have a baking day.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:26pm (Apr 6th 2009) edited

Birthday b<a href=My purple birthdayalloons">

These are a couple of pics especially for CC from my recent birthday celebration, a very purple evening was had by all at our local cafe. They served delicious punch, (we took some champagne) then they served numerous pre dinner savouries, a yummy roast dinner with loads of vegies and salad and we had cup cakes for dessert with purple icing.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:36pm (Apr 6th 2009) edited

Lighthouse Aireys Inlet

This is the magnificent lighthouse right next to where we stayed last week. Brian and a friend climbed right to the top, here is the view they enjoyed.

View from Lighthouse
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:46pm (Apr 6th 2009) edited

This should really go into UCE but as I am in posting pics mode I will just pop them here. First are the Australian grey teal ducks, then a swan and then swamphens.
    Australian Grey Teal ducks

Swan

Swamphens

We also had many other UCE or bird encounters, we breakfasted with kookaburras, dined with currawongs and magpies, fed wattle birds, sparrows and wrens and saw rainbow lorikeets and sulphur crested cockatoos swooping past. The highlight was seeing an eagle who resided out on eagle rock and then on our last day he and his mate circled us several times before heading out to sea. We took wild bird seed with us and sprinkled it out each morning, the birds got into the habit of calling early and pecking on the glass for me to come out.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:49pm (Apr 6th 2009) edited

Eagle Rock

The rock from our deck, a truly inspiring view. I took out my sketch pad and sat for a couple of hours one morning drawing and breathing in the ocean air.
    This is the view from our deck at dusk.

View from our deck
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:53pm (Apr 6th 2009)

they are good photos Trevs Mum and what a superb view from the lighthouse and how blue the sea looks.

The birthday party must have been great fun. The food you had sounds wonderful
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:53pm (Apr 6th 2009)

Thomas and Julie relaxing
    Thomas and I relaxing.

Thomas relaxes in front of wood fire

....and finally Thomas by the wood fire. It wasn't really that cold but Brian was determined to light it at least once and at last one evening it was a bit chilly so he enthusiastically burnt a few logs.
    It was a really lovely break in a beautiful spot and only half an hour from where we live.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th, 2009 2:56pm (Apr 6th 2009) edited

oh how delightful what a wonderful time you must have had. You must be longing to go again. I must look up a wattle bird as I havent a clue what one is