Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeApr 19th, 2014 6:21pm (Apr 19th 2014)

"and this is regarded to be a nice, 'posh' little village."

Red, even someone who is considered to be "Posh" can still be an idiot. Stupid people come in all shapes and sizes. :face-smile:
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2014 11:14pm (Apr 20th 2014) edited

Danny went ice hockey training tonight and I said I'd put the kids to bed - easy job. Not. I can't believe that Shaun was awake until 9.30 and Caitlyn is still awake at 11pm.

Danny got back from training with a split lip, all the way through to the inside. He's gone off to A&E.
    Edit: should've said it was the puck that split his lip - took a deflection. It's also not really his lip, but the bit of skin just below.
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2014 2:15pm (Apr 21st 2014)

Ouch! Hope he's okay Kate! And I hope the kids are in bed by now!! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2014 2:58pm (Apr 21st 2014)

Posted By: Kateb Shaun was awake until 9.30 and Caitlyn is still awake at 11pm.

I would point you to earlier post by Ollie, citing nannies who left the gas on in their charge's room enough to knock 'em out. Or there's always Kalpol.Or whisky.:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeApr 21st, 2014 3:09pm (Apr 21st 2014)

Danny is OK, they glued it. In the short time he was there they saw a man come in who ignored reception and walked straight through saying he could "bleed to death" if he sat and waited. He had a slight scalp wound from banging his head on the car. Another man said he had found a black mole on his chest that needed checking now. It was fine. Another man had 'broken his foot' - he walked out with just a slight limp from pulling a ligament. They were all under 25. What is wrong with people - don't they understand the terms "accident and emergency".

As for the kids, calpol didn't work, I didn't have any whiskey, and even though gassing is a really good idea, I don't think Danny (or child protection!) would approve!!!
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2014 1:52am (Apr 22nd 2014)

Glad Danny is all right. Will he have a scar or does the glueing eliminate that? And those people who clog up A&E with stupid little whingey things which common sense would tell you need a GP or even just a plaster drive me mad...but then they pester the GP too when they've chipped their nail varnish or something. Grr!
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd, 2014 10:41pm (Apr 22nd 2014)

I don't know if it'll scar - I expect so, even if it's just a faint one eventually. It's very swollen and the inside of the cut (against his teeth) looks like a massive mouth ulcer. Very painful!
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 4:47pm (Apr 23rd 2014)

:ack2: That does sound so painful!

People who waste time at A&E are annoying...then again if you use symptom checker on the NHS website, or phone NHS Direct, they often tell you to go to A&E when you really don't need to...they've done it several times with me and Lyle :/
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd, 2014 10:48pm (Apr 23rd 2014)

Yes they're very frustrating!
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2014 3:56pm (Apr 28th 2014)

rant: had an urgent dentist appt today after 4 months of battling for one as a gap has been appearing between my teeth where previously there was no gap. The dentist had a look and said there must have been a gap there all along...no, I've never had a gap there prior to the last 4 / 5 months!!

Lyle was in the room too and also said there wasn't a gap there previously, but the dentist said that there must have been...THERE DIDN'T USED TO BE A GAP THERE!!! :cursing: We said our GP mentioned it could be to do with the meds I was on, and he instantly brushed that aside, but couldn't come up with any other explanation other than there had always been a gap there!! I don't feel reassured at all!
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2014 4:50pm (Apr 28th 2014)

Try a different dentist, Red. Or ask your GP for a recommendation.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th, 2014 9:01pm (Apr 28th 2014)

I second that - NHS direct will show you where other local dentists are. Take a photo along with you showing you smiling without a gap!!
    • CommentTimeMay 17th, 2014 11:56pm (May 17th 2014)

I need to have a moan! One of the women at rehoming complained to one of the deputy managers about one of the other volunteers today after she'd left. (Do you follow?!) I don't know what she missed (probably filling up the water or something) but rather than pointing it out at the time she will wait until you're not there to defend yourself. She's not a very nice person - I have heard her complain about every other member of staff that works on this weekend, either because they're off sick (swinging the lead), ask a question (must be stupid not to know that), are late taking lunch (no one else is allowed so how does he get away with it), makes a mistake (again, stupid), etc. Knowing this, it shouldn't bother me, but we put ourselves out to help her when we've finished our jobs and that's the thanks we get. This woman is really lax with her infection prevention, is rude to the public if she doesn't like them, and 2-faced.

The deputy manager asked me if the other volunteer was OK and I said yes, she does a really good job. She's asked me not to tell her about this as she's young and doesn't need to hear it. I have asked the deputy manager to find some time to run through the correct procedure and technique when cleaning the pens to make sure we are still following process. (I added that I assume they do that with the regular staff, but I'm pretty sure they don't). I said we wouldn't be at all offended, and would be reassured to know that we were doing the right thing (and would shut the staff up from trying to blame us for spreading infections).

Don't know what else we can do other than stop going and leave them in the mire, but why should we because of one person.
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2014 6:15pm (May 18th 2014)

Wow, she sounds...nice... :glare:

And definitely not a total idiot...I don't understand how the rescue you volunteer at still HAS any volunteers, it sounds like they treat them so poorly!
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2014 11:10pm (May 18th 2014)

Most of them have been there years and are typical 'old school' volunteers - potter around a bit, don't do a lot, and toddle off home. I think the Sat and Sun lot are different. The Sat crew (me and the other 2) are the only ones who speak to the public and help home. One of the Sunday volunteers has just started doing it too.
    I think she feels threatened by us because we show up her shortcomings. The reason I won't be telling the other 2 Sat volunteers is because the one used to help out years ago and stopped for this very reason. I think they need bringing into the 21st century.
    • CommentTimeMay 18th, 2014 11:11pm (May 18th 2014)

I should add that the majority of the staff are very grateful for our help - it really is only a couple of staff. And the cats love us!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2014 4:14pm (May 19th 2014)

It's sad when one person spoils things for everyone else. I hope she gets the message. No danger of the management having a quiet word I suppose?
    • CommentTimeMay 19th, 2014 8:55pm (May 19th 2014)

I doubt it, she seems to have the manager's ear, and as she's been there many years (and we're just volunteers) nothing will be said. I won't be offering to help her again, and will discourage the others too. It's our only 'power'! The other staff are lovely (only one other exception who drives me nuts!) so just need to remember that, and remember that I enjoy spending the time with the cats and doing something for 'me'. If it gets to me at any point I can always go on alternate weekends instead, or go to the dogs trust!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 5:56pm (May 20th 2014)

I don't know why there has to be one "horses rear end" in every crowd, trying to make everyone else look bad..she must be very insecure to bad mouth the volunteers like that Kate.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th, 2014 8:19pm (May 20th 2014)

What I hate is that she's nice to your face but all the while stabbing you in the back. I prefer to know where I stand with someone and if they're openly nasty that's fine, I can cope with that!
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2014 8:27pm (May 24th 2014) edited

rant: So on a forum I'm a member of, someone posted asking for help. Their dog (who has always had an issue with men) has become fearful of their boyfriend as the boyfriend has angry outbursts which aren't aimed at anybody or the dog, but the dog hears the anger and becomes fearful.

Virtually all the comments are recommending the person dumps the boyfriend, with one stating that there is 'no excuse for an adult to have the impulse control of a five year old'...this really annoyed me!

The boyfriend *could* have a mental health problem, it sounds like he gets really angry and upset over trivial things, which are exactly what happen to me when I am in a depressive episode! And people were saying to ditch the boyfriend because of this!!

I replied with a ton of advice for the owner, and commented to others that they seemed to be being harsh on the boyfriend, especially as we didn't know what was going on for him. I said I have a mood disorder and absolutely have the impulse control of a five year old at times! :tooth: Yet I am getting help and am on medication for it, and we own two wonderful and very happy dogs.

Will be interesting to read the response I get...

*edited to add*

The person apologised, which I was happily surprised by, and a few others agreed :smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2014 11:10pm (May 24th 2014)

I must admit my first thought was the same and I suppose because it's on a dog forum not a 'human problem' forum you don't think outside of the bare facts unless you have experience of mental health issues. Your comments were great as they will make people think differently and spread awareness. It could be that those that'd posted before you had experienced domestic violence to some degree so their thoughts will have been taken along that path, so don't think too harshly!! I'm glad they offered an apology and the original poster will be grateful for your advice. Maybe they'll persuade their partner to seek some help or support so it could be a win:win for them.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2014 3:06pm (May 25th 2014)

Yes, well done, Red. You know, you really ought to consider training as a MH worker - you'd be fabulous.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2014 4:59pm (May 25th 2014)

Posted By: KatebIt could be that those that'd posted before you had experienced domestic violence to some degree so their thoughts will have been taken along that path, so don't think too harshly!!

That's true Kate.
    Haha thank you CC :)
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2014 9:09pm (May 25th 2014)

I second that CC. Unless you've experienced MH issues (either personally or indirectly via loved ones) I don't think you can truly understand.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2014 9:42pm (May 27th 2014) edited

rant: seeing a van drive right up a cyclist's behind, honk it's horn and yell "cycle on the pavement ********"...no, cyclists shouldn't be on the pavement, you're just an idiot!! :001_rolleyes:

Isn't it even illegal to cycle on the pavement?!
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2014 4:52pm (May 28th 2014)

Conversely, the road to Little Marlow has had a cycleway on the pavement made specifically to stop cyclists stopping the traffic because the road is too narrow to pass them. But all the MAMILS (Middle Aged Men In Lycra) are too cool to use it, and so clog up the roads with their silly lycra bums and walnut shell hats.:_oh_really:
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2014 12:49pm (May 29th 2014) edited

MAMILs, I like it! :rolling:

multiple rants ahoy!

1) The estate agents said we would be able to get the keys at the end of last week...we weren't able to. Then we were told we could collect them on Tuesday. We didn't get them on Tuesday. When did we get them? TODAY!! This leaves us practically no time to carry things across or take the dogs over to get them acclimatised, just great, thanks...

2) We're moving on Monday (yes, this coming Monday, aaagh!) which is our busiest day *sigh* Means I am going to have to walk all of the dogs myself, juggling leads, reactive dogs, poo bags, treats etc!!

3) We had a viewing at our current house today. I had the dogs upstairs in the bathroom with me, the estate agent showed the people around the rest of the house, then waited downstairs whilst we moved the dogs from the bathroom to the bedroom. One of the people looking around asked, with lots of attitude, "What breed are your dogs? What's wrong with them?"

I was spitting feathers!! There is nothing 'wrong' with our dogs!! One is afraid of strangers, the other gets overly-giddy around new people, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them!

Lyle explained that our Collie cross (very surprised look from the woman here because it wasn't an "aggressive" breed!) didn't like strangers as he hadn't been treated well before we adopted him. The estate agent said what a shame that was and made some other nice comments, the person looking around said nothing!

4) After having two horrific experiences with private landlords, we vowed we would never rent from one again...after all the only two times we did, we ended up living next door to one (when we were told the landlord lived abroad!) with a huge hole in the floor, and the other house was covered in mould and had a problematic neighbour living in the flat above!!

Well, that was fine as we were told that our next house is managed by the estate agency. Good. Today, yes today we find out that it's actually let through a private landlord...arrrgh!!! When we told them that we wouldn't have taken the house if we'd known that, and that we were explicitly told otherwise, their response was 'well there's nothing we / you can do now'

:tearhair::rant_red2::cursing::_oh_really::angry:
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2014 3:20pm (May 29th 2014)

• CommentTimeMay 29th, 2014 5:27pm (May 29th 2014) edited

Posted By: chief chickenAr least an agency will be the go-between, won't they? And an agency is a lot easier to contact/pester than a private landlord.

That's what we thought was going to happen, but it turns out we don't go through the agency at all, we have to do everything with the landlord. Which I HATE! Because they could see how upset and angry we were the estate agent did say if we had any problems with the landlord we could contact them, but otherwise all contact has to be via the landlord!

I'm really hoping we get a good landlord this time, if they're anything like my parents are as landlords that would be great :smile:

Posted By: chief chickenIf you'd let Zoe bounce all over the viewers they wouldn't have liked that either; some people are impossible to please.

Exactly, it takes a very special person to put up with Zoey's energy!! :tooth:

And as for Kasper, the only way to make him feel comfortable with a stranger is to go on a walk with them, and I can't imagine the woman or estate agent would be willing to do that!! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2014 9:37pm (May 29th 2014)

• CommentTimeMay 30th, 2014 6:49pm (May 30th 2014) edited

Red, I hope dealing with this landlord will be easier than the others you've had. Good luck on your move, I hope all goes well. Kate..I hope you will get some nice neighbors, when the house next door sells. It's always great to have good neighbors..we sure have had good luck with all of our neighbors around here.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2014 7:53pm (May 30th 2014)

Posted By: Kateb Wish I could persuade my sons to buy it between them but not sure they could afford it.

What a fab idea; worth a try! But would they want to live nextdoor to mum and dad? :)
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2014 8:28pm (May 30th 2014)

Posted By: KatebOur neighbours are moving at the end of June. They've rented the house for about 2 or 3 years and are lovely - no trouble at all. They're buying a house at the end of the road, and the owner of the next door house is putting it up for sale. We're lucky that she has always kept in contact and said if we had any trouble with her tenants to let her know straight away and she'd get it sorted (via an agency) so I'm feeling quite nervous about who'll be there next. Wish I could persuade my sons to buy it between them but not sure they could afford it.

I hope your new neighbours will be okay...will they still be renting it? If they are at least there is always the landlord you can contact and ask them to have a word with the tenants. And remember, they're probably feeling just as nervous about the new neighbours as your are! :tooth:

Thank you very much Lynn! :heart:
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2014 8:31pm (May 30th 2014)

We met one of our new neighbours today, and she asked what breed of dog we had and said dogs are lovely so long as they're well trained...our two are pretty well trained, I think?! :tooth:

My main worry is Zoey whining in the night, she's got a good pair of lungs on her when she wants! This is the first house she's ever lived in where she hasn't whined at night...I'm hoping if we continue to give her a 45 minute walk before bed and two Kongs to keep her busy, she'll be too tired to make any noise...if anyone has any other ideas, throw them my way! :smile:

oh, and today's rant: the letting agency phoned up this morning to say we had another viewing at the property this afternoon...what happened to legally having to give 24 hours notice?! :001_rolleyes:
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2014 11:19pm (May 30th 2014)

No they won't be renting this time - the owners want to sell. He already lives in London and she lives in Scotland and is going to Spain in the near future. (They separated a couple of years after buying, couldn't sell so decided to rent).

I think the letting agencies take advantage when they know you're moving out, but if they're supposed to give you 24hrs then you're entitled to say no aren't you?

My rant: Curry's own brand TV (Logik) broke after 3 hours of use trapping a DVD inside. Two very disappointed children.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2014 6:26pm (May 31st 2014)

I think a snottagram is called for, Kate; sharpen that nib!
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2014 7:03pm (May 31st 2014)

Yes Kate, we were going to refuse the viewing, but they said they'd then have to do it on Monday. That's the actual day we are moving out with the removal van and everything, so that would have just been a nightmare!

Jeez what a load of rubbish about the TV Kate! I swear nothing's made to last these days...(haha made me sound so old!! :tooth: )
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2014 9:55pm (May 31st 2014)

Curry's accepted it back with no qualms at all, and the man got my DVD out too. I then headed round to Argos to get a replacement. The sound is better than the first one, but the buttons and remote aren't as simple or accessible, but as long as it works I can put up with that!
    • CommentTimeJun 12th, 2014 5:34pm (Jun 12th 2014)

rant: dog walkers who walk six off-lead, out of control dogs at once!! It was one guy and six huge, high energy dogs racing around, and he couldn't get them back when I asked him to, so we had to turn around and walk the other way.

Also we saw a kid who looked to be about 8 walking a dog on his own. He dragged the dog over to a crowd of similar aged children and they were all yelling, squealing and rushing to pet the dog. The dog was terrified, and when they didn't back off it ended up laying on its' back and submissively urinating...the kids all screamed in laughter which scared the poor dog even more. I would have said something to them about them overwhelming the dog, but we had Zoey and I didn't want to attract their attention to her!!
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2014 6:15pm (Jun 23rd 2014)

rant: two of the dog waste bins are jammed because idiotic people have been putting their picnic rubbish in them :glare:
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2014 11:05pm (Jun 23rd 2014)

Why not make an appropriate little sticker that you can put on the bin to guide these folks in their ways of folly.

• CommentTimeJun 25th, 2014 12:48am (Jun 25th 2014)

Red some people are total *Expletive Deleted*..(insert whatever name you want):face-devil-grin: I wonder how many total idiots there are in the world..I'll bet it's a staggering number.
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2014 1:54pm (Jun 26th 2014) edited

Posted By: ollie in UKI have one that is a ladies' toilet sign that is applied over a Gent's toilet sign at venues where there is a disproportionate allocation of facilities... It seems to work too!

:rolling:

I can be an idiot sometimes, but really, some people do take the biscuit! Like the ******* walking the two Labs today; he said one was aggressive, we said okay and moved Zoey out of the way. Then he said he thought his Lab would be okay with Zoey. His wife said it was a bad idea, both me and Lyle said we didn't want to risk it and turned and walked in the opposite direction...

He let the Lab pull over to us, Zoey was completely overwhelmed with a huge black dog growling at her, and it attacked her!!

She's okay (again...), just has a small bald patch of skin showing, but I am SO sick of this happening. It's usually Labs too, I'll never trust one again. And I HATE what this must be doing for Zoey's dog socialisation... :sad:

Total *******...sorry, I mean idiot!! :_oh_really::cursing:
    • CommentTimeJun 26th, 2014 10:54pm (Jun 26th 2014)

That's terrible Red, what an idiot. I remember reading that most dog attacks (on humans I think) were by labs. I don't know if that was pure numbers - they are a popular dog so lots of people have them) but also they are assumed to be kind and gentle because they are trained as guide dogs. When trained I'm sure they''re great but like any dog when untrained they are dangerous. They are frequently just the right height to bite a child's head too.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2014 2:44pm (Jun 27th 2014)

I agree, I think people see Labs as an "easy" breed of dog that doesn't need training, or proper physical and mental exercise...which of course all dogs do! And yes, the fact that children are so small and are at dog height is why it's so, so important to teach children how to correctly behave around a dog (no quick movements, grabbing, hugging, tugging etc) as if a dog bites the likelihood is it's going to be to the face...

We've been playing the LAT game with Zoey and other dogs and keeping her away from them; I don't want to overwhelm her too soon and make any possible fear worse...
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2014 7:44pm (Jun 27th 2014)

I think it's a combination of sheer number of labs and also of overbreeding to fulfil all the orders for labs by greedy breeders. I said breeders...:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2014 2:07pm (Jul 1st 2014)

rant: someone slowed down their car as they passed, then threw a lit cigarette out the window which bounced off Kasper...what is with some people?!?!
    • CommentTimeJul 1st, 2014 4:29pm (Jul 1st 2014)

Ar$es.Did you get the number?
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2014 2:46pm (Jul 2nd 2014) edited

No, completely forgot :001_rolleyes: Thankfully Kasper didn't even notice so I assume he wasn't burned, but some people...
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2014 10:05pm (Jul 5th 2014)

One that seems to be getting more common is the car slows down alongside a cyclist, then the passenger leans out and pushes the cyclist off. It has resulted in at least one death so far.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2014 10:09pm (Jul 5th 2014)

Work has been horrendous lately and I'm finding it a bit of a struggle, which has resulted in me both forgetting to check the forum and not being on line for a few days. Glad of a weekend 'rest' (albeit with the grandkids being here!)
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2014 4:04pm (Jul 6th 2014)

Well that's not a rest then, is it? :rolling: Hope work gets better soon for you, Kate.
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2014 7:41pm (Jul 6th 2014)

It hasn't been a rest as predicted - Caitlyn was quite naughty which was a surprise as she's been so good since I gave them their own bedroom. Perhaps the novelty has worn off!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2014 4:53pm (Jul 7th 2014) edited

Glad to have you back Kate, I was wondering where you'd been :) I hope work improves soon!

rant: Instead of taking one of my meds at night like I used to, about a month ago I was told to take it in the day instead as otherwise it wouldn't work (not that it works anyway, it's supposed to stop the jitters or tremours in my legs / arm / hands but it doesn't do a thing). It makes me feel really sick for several hours after I've taken it. We went out for a meal with Lyle's family today and I couldn't eat a thing, I felt really rude :beaker:
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2014 5:14pm (Jul 7th 2014)

Red, since you are the one who knows your body the best..take the pill at night again..doctors don't know everything..they just think they do.

Kate, I hope things improve for you at work soon.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2014 8:03pm (Jul 7th 2014)

I would also suggest speaking to the pharmacist - they know a lot more about medications and how they work than the doctors do!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2014 10:07pm (Jul 7th 2014)

Posted By: LynnWdoctors don't know everything..they just think they do

Very true!

Kate, this may be a really dumb question, but how do you speak to a pharmacist? Are they the ones who sort your prescription for you at the chemists?

I have my first proper med review this Friday, which I'm very anxious about...they want to try me on a new med but the potential side effects are truly terrifying, so I'm really stuck as to what to do for the best...if they can stop my jittery-ness and help balance my moods that would be great...but some of the 'very common' side effects such as liver damage, blood & bone marrow problems and hair loss don't sound pleasant and have me scared!
    :face-plain:
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2014 11:01pm (Jul 7th 2014) edited

Red, do ask to speak to the pharmacist at the chemist. They are only too happy to be asked. As Kate says they do know more about meds than the qua.. sorry, doctor, and will advise you. He/She will take you into a private area away from eaves dropping nosey-Parker's like me!

There is big push to use pharmacists more, often rather than going to a GP. Pharmi's are very under used, after a very long training too.

Mine has advised me to take one of my tabs in a morning rather than eve as I had been told when I started on them. I certainly sleep better now. Timing does seem to be important, though I can see that the effects on your system would be less noticed by you when taken at night. I think you deserve to have an explanation here.

Get the pharmacist's opinion on your proposed new drug before Friday, then you can discuss it on Friday with some knowledge of your own too. Remember, it is up to you to accept or refuse advice without any comebacks. They are our servants, not our bosses.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2014 5:41pm (Jul 8th 2014)

• CommentTimeJul 8th, 2014 6:29pm (Jul 8th 2014) edited

Thanks for such a detailed post Ollie, that was really helpful :)

I think we'll definitely go talk to one. That's a great idea to go before Friday and talk about my new med. Psychiatrists seem to refuse to admit that meds have side effects, so it would be nice to be able to talk to someone who recognised those and could explain / reassure me...I always find myself just agreeing with whatever the Dr's say because they scare me!! :tooth:

Posted By: chief chickenWell said, Ollie; docs can be very high handed and loath to explain stuff to people and pharmacists are soooooooooo helpful and very underused.

I didn't even know that you could talk to pharmacists about medications / treatments before Kate mentioned it!
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2014 8:28pm (Jul 8th 2014)

Great explanation Ollie! They all have private areas now and are a great resource. People think they just hand out a number of pills the doc has prescribed, but they are highly trained (and well paid for their knowledge) and will understand drug interactions etc., and if they think a doc hasn't prescribed correctly they will challenge them. Some of them can be a bit naughty when they're ordering repeats on behalf of patients, but generally they are a useful and free source of information. They may not be able to give you all the info you need before your appointment, but they can tell you things to ask and they will be realistic about risks and side effects. Good luck!
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2014 9:45pm (Jul 8th 2014)

Naturally we'll expect full reports on your visits to pharm and other place!:face-devil-grin:

No just kidding -from a very Nosey Parker -yes that really is my name, I married a Parker and gave up a foreign surname but since becoming a widow I now use both hyphenated together, looks good with the Olga.
    :face-angel:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2014 10:30pm (Jul 8th 2014)

I'd be too worry about those kind of side effects to change to that new med.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2014 2:59pm (Jul 9th 2014) edited

That's why the pharmacists are so good. One saved me from a possible nasty when he spotted that the doc had prescribed something which would have interacted badly with another drug I was on; rang the surgery there and then. Excellent.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2014 7:48pm (Jul 9th 2014)

• CommentTimeJul 9th, 2014 8:30pm (Jul 9th 2014) edited

Thanks everyone, we're off to the chemist tomorrow, I'll be sure to report back - Ollie that's too funny that your name is actually Parker, how fabulous to be able to say that! :laugh:

Posted By: LynnWI'd be too worry about those kind of side effects to change to that new med.

Thanks Lynn, it's good to know I'm not just being daft about being so scared :smile:

Posted By: KatebThe side-effects don't affect everyone, and sometimes the benefits outweigh problems. The problem is that meds designed for mental health issues take a while to start working - much longer than 'physical' meds sometimes - so it is a hard slog to weigh up the pros and cons. Changing meds is a very difficult decision so the more advice you can get the better. I'll be interested to hear if the pharmacist is of any help Red.

I'm really annoyed that I haven't been seen for a med review sooner. Not only do my current meds do nothing to balance my mood but the side effects are also unbearable now...what started off as a restless leg has spread to both legs, my arm and has lead to me swaying from side to side constantly, to the point that I get strange looks and strangers asking me if I'm okay. It's mortifying! :blushing:

There are basically two meds the Dr could try and force on me, one I won't touch because there's a (tiny, tiny, tiny) chance of Steven-Johnson syndrome, and that scares me. Badly! I wish we had the range of meds they have in America for mood disorders, there's one I'd be very happy to try but the last psychiatrist already said it's not used for that treatment in this country :(
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2014 8:42pm (Jul 9th 2014) edited

rant: Zoey pee'd on the new dog bed this morning (don't get me started, she hasn't had an accident in over 9 months, then does it right after the chance she's had to go outside because she did a poo, didn't do a wee, but came running in anyway!!!). The colour has completely been washed off in patches and left quite large white marks. I am fuming...I loved that bed and we followed the instructions on the label!!! :cursing:

I don't know where the receipt is; even if we can't find it I will be sending T.K Maxx a very annoyed email!!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2014 8:56pm (Jul 9th 2014) edited

Sent them an email asking how we can get a refund without the receipt, and sent the following photo too...it's like that all over :(
      after1.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2014 3:57pm (Jul 10th 2014)

Poor you. And poor Zoey; was she upset by something? Hope they can do something, but I thought TKM only stocked end of line stuff...perhaps that was why it was end of line?
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2014 5:10pm (Jul 10th 2014)

Posted By: chief chicken was she upset by something?

No, she just decided not to go for a wee in the garden, but ran inside immediately after going number two instead...then five minutes later realised she needed to pee and did it in the house!! Idiot dog... :001_rolleyes:

Customer service has been great, we sent them a few of our details and they emailed us the receipt so we can take the bed back and get a refund. Awesome!
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2014 5:17pm (Jul 10th 2014) edited

Tried to talk to a pharmacist at Co-op pharmacy today. We explained I was probably going to be coming off my current medication, told him the name of my potential next medication and asked about common side-effects. He said "I've never heard of it, goodbye" and left! And that was it!! I don't know if he was busy or what...but it wasn't very helpful! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2014 6:09pm (Jul 10th 2014)

Find a new Pharmacy, Red. You don't want to talk to someone who doesn't keep up with the new drugs coming out, he doesn't sound like he does his homework very well.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2014 8:34pm (Jul 10th 2014)

Hmm, supermarket pharmacies are a bit hit and miss. They're often staffed by locums. If you have a smaller, independent pharmacy they're probably a better bet, and complain to the co-op - their pharmacist needs re-training in customer service. :thumbdown:

Some of them are reluctant to comment on 'psychiatric' drugs because the side effects can be so different for different people, but that's no excuse to be so rude. They have books that are re-issued every quarter and have every drug available listed in them. If you do go elsewhere and they won't help, ask when another pharmacist will be on duty who can help!
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2014 10:33pm (Jul 11th 2014)

Yes, we'll go to a different pharmacy next time...he was just rude! :001_rolleyes:

today's rant: I have a blister on my little toe that is the size of the whole toe. It is soooo gross! And I'm not gonna be able to wear shoes and just ewww...! I wore new shoes for like two hours, big mistake...I wish my feet weren't so stupidly shaped, shoes *always* rub them :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2014 5:58pm (Jul 12th 2014)

Flip flops.:face-smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2014 9:15pm (Jul 12th 2014) edited

Well, I thought of that and wore flip flops all today...now I've got a blister between my big and second toe from where the flip flops rubbed!!! :rolling: :rolling:

My feet are oddly enough shaped that it makes buying shoes hard! :tooth:
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2014 9:35pm (Jul 12th 2014)

Wear the shoe boxes then; put your foot through a smallish hole in the lid. Then you'll get blisters round your ankles...:kick: :tooth: You snould soak your feet in surgical spirit to toughen 'em up, like runners do.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2014 11:35pm (Jul 12th 2014)

My bunions cause me trouble, but I'm too much of a coward to get 'em sorted!
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2014 4:07pm (Jul 13th 2014)

Try shoeboxes...:tooth: My friend got hers sorted and she was so cross that she hadn't had them done before - she kept bottling out too!
    My rant is the slagging that NHS Direct get; I rang at 1pm, got an appointment for 2:50, was seen at 2:55 by a lovely thorough doctor who gave me a scrip and told me which duty chemists were open. Excellent. Do you know how I comment, Kate? Whom do I contact?
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2014 5:44pm (Jul 13th 2014)

Bwahaha I managed to find some old shoes today that don't rub, otherwise I might have tried the shoe box idea! :tooth:

Glad NHS Direct were helpful; think they've always done okay for us too.
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2014 8:38pm (Jul 14th 2014)

Try this link CC. The 111 service is commissioned locally so this link should go to the right page, otherwise google Chiltern CCG (which I think is yours) and then search for 111. I'm glad they were so helpful - we don't get such good feedback here!

I know I should get my feet done, but I never seem to have time. No ... that's an excuse. It is just plain old fear. I'm such a baby!
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2014 8:27pm (Jul 17th 2014) edited

rant: someone had an out of control, off lead Beagle on the road by the beach today. It came tearing over to us, with the owner too far away for me to even be able to yell at her to get her dog...thankfully Zoey decided this dog wasn't scary and, instead of trying to make herself invisible, she actually started to play with the Beagle. However if she had been scared it would have been a *nightmare* and I don't know how we'd have coped...

The Beagle was running in front of cars driving on the road, and the owner didn't even care!! She kept saying "Archie, come on" over and over, which the dog either didn't know or had learnt to ignore, and she just kept walking...the Beagle then ran back to a dog aggressive dog, and the poor owner was trying to keep her dog from attacking the other whilst the idiotic Beagle would not leave them alone! And where was the owner? About half a mile away, turning over her shoulder and saying "Archie, come on"...the dog didn't have a clue where she was and was by the time we'd turned around and were passing it again, and the poor thing was panicking.

Some people just should not have dogs...I almost went out of my way to say something to the owner but couldn't be bothered getting into an argument. However if the Beagle had scared Zoey you can bet I would have said something then, and it wouldn't have been polite!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2014 10:53am (Jul 18th 2014)

rant: Beagle was there again today...and the owner had it off-lead on the narrowest part of the road where there is no pavement!! Saw four cars having to slam on to avoid running the poor dog over, and it also ducked the fence and had a great time chasing somebody else's horses around their field - not good!

The Beagle didn't really bother Kasper, which was a positive, although Kasper would have told it to sod off if needed! :laugh:

It's a shame there isn't an easier way to report dog owners... :confused:
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2014 6:29pm (Jul 18th 2014)

What about calling 101 for non-urgent police? You can always pretend you didn't see the owner.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2014 10:34pm (Jul 18th 2014)

How terrible. I can't believe owners can be so cruel. If it's worrying the horses it could be destroyed couldn't it? And if it causes an accident the owner will be liable I hope.
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2014 5:04pm (Jul 20th 2014)

Why do people like that even try to have a dog! I hope it won't cause you any more problems, Red.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2014 8:25pm (Jul 21st 2014) edited

CC, problem is I don't think the non-emergency police would actually *do* anything unless we tried to follow the owner home and got their address. We phoned them once before when a Golden Retriever attacked Kasper and tried to bite me, and they were not only really rude but also said there was nothing they could do (understandably I guess) as we didn't have an address, despite the fact that the dogs' owner had broken the law.

Posted By: Kateb If it's worrying the horses it could be destroyed couldn't it?

I'd imagine so, it's against the law for a dog to be "dangerously out of control" in public, which chasing horses and running in front of cars definitely counts as!! And dogs aren't allowed to chase or worry livestock...

Thanks Lynn, we haven't seen it since, so *touch wood* we won't see it again! :smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2014 9:28pm (Jul 22nd 2014)

They should at least have taken your details and a description of the dog and owner, location etc and then if there are other reports they can pull it together and do something about it. Intelligence gathering is vital.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 8:56pm (Jul 24th 2014) edited

That's what we thought and why we phoned up...but they were just really rude until Lyle asked them to 'be quiet and listen' and then they threatened him! :rolling:

rants incoming...

- our vacuum is broken :glare:

- the amount of litter on the streets has increased, I guess because it's summer so more people are out and about (?) Zoey found all the litter highly interesting...I ended up walking around with an armful of litter that we had taken off her as I didn't just want to leave it on the path...there was a woman who had been watching at the bus stop who said "you need to train your dog"...what, for being interested in food wrappers?!?!? :_oh_really:

- one of the horses in the field where there is a public footpath came storming over from the other side of the field in a very threatening manner. I told Lyle to take Zoey out the gate whilst I went slowly towards the horse to try slow it down. I stopped a distance from it, and it stopped in front of me whilst I talked calmly to it and promptly bit me on the arm - ouch!! We managed to get Zoey (who was obviously on her lead) out the gate, and me too, without further injury but I am bruised...think we're going to report the horse to the council and ask if it can be moved to another field.

Zoey did great though. As soon as we got her out the field she turned to the horse and was snarly-barking at it - the first time I've heard her do a bark / snarl that wasn't in play. She could obviously tell me and Lyle were utterly terrified and shaken up (or at least I was!), bless her.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 11:08pm (Jul 24th 2014)

I can't believe people are so rude when you're out with Zoey. You must have a knack for finding the most stupid people on the planet!

Won't the council just say that you shouldn't have been in the field? Don't know how it works with things like that. I thought a horse would be like any other animal and not considered to be responsible.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 11:41pm (Jul 24th 2014) edited

We do meet some lovely people whilst out with Zoey too, who fall head over heels in love with her, I just don't rant about them :smile:

Posted By: Kateb

Surely horses aren't allowed to just go around chasing and biting people though, wouldn't the owners be responsible? And it was on a public footpath.

But you could be right, I'll have to look into it. All I know is that I won't be walking through a field with horses in it again!
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2014 11:55pm (Jul 24th 2014) edited

Well pretty much the only thing I can find on a ramblers website says:

People keeping horses must ensure that their animals don’t cause a danger to other people. As with cattle, they must assess the risk and decide if it’s safe to keep horses in fields with public access.

Horses which chase people or otherwise act aggressively should be reported to the local authority.

I guess we'll phone up and ask if we should report it or not, and just avoid that field completely...
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2014 5:38am (Jul 25th 2014)

I'd report it to the local council Red..dangerous horses should never be allowed near a public foot path like that. Did the horse break the skin when he bit you? Have Lyle take a picture of the bite mark from the horse and save it to show the local people in charge. REPORT IT Red...you could be saving someone else the same fate..or worse.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2014 6:38pm (Jul 25th 2014)

It didn't break the skin but it's given me some beautiful bruises!! The biggest one is on top then there's a smaller one on the bottom of my arm too, they're just coming out into a lovely purple hue! :rolling:

I'll get looking for who to ring and set Lyle on the task... ;)
      horse1.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2014 8:00am (Jul 27th 2014)

That's a nasty looking bruise, Red. Do please report what the horse did, it shouldn't be where it can get to people and bite them..it's NOT a safe horse!
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2014 10:24pm (Jul 27th 2014)

I think we have found the right number so will remember to give them a call tomorrow :smile:

You could see the horses' individual teeth in the bruise yesterday, it was very unique looking!
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2014 7:18pm (Jul 28th 2014)

Get it tattooed over quick, before it fades...:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2014 7:06pm (Jul 29th 2014)

Hahaha that would be one interesting tattoo!!

rant: seen two horrifying dog owners recently, honestly it makes me so sad and cross!

The first was by the beach. It was a young Lab on a lead who got very bouncy when he saw Zoey. The old man dragged it forwards yelling "HEEL! HEEL!" at it. About a minute later I looked back and saw the dog was jumping up and tugging on its' lead - this is truly infuriating, I know as Kasper used to do it! We carried on walking and then heard the most almighty yelp...looked back and saw the man screaming at the dog and whacking it as hard as he could about the head :face-crying:

Wasn't much we could do as we were quite far away and didn't want to yell in case it upset Zoey...

Second case was whilst walking a clients dog today. There was a dog being walked towards us in the opposite direction. The dog was reactive to other dogs, and when he pulled on lead and began to growl the owner screamed "NO!" and yanked really hard on the dogs' lead...and the lead was attached to a choke chain :sad: The dog yelped every time and the owner just carried on doing it...
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2014 10:02pm (Jul 29th 2014)

Why do they have dogs if they're going to be so cruel to them? It must be really frustrating Red.

My worst - but not really that bad - was the track day today.
    1st - I hadn't realised I'd put my jumper on inside out until I got to Donnington and had to turn it back, but I had make up on the front of then from pulling it over my head.
    2nd - burnt my left hand knuckle on the scorching hot brake disc when I was putting the tyre warmer on
    3rd - jumped when I burnt my knuckle, and touched the back of my right hand on the same brake disc and left a 2 inch burn across it.
    4th - stepped up into the van, mis-judged it, and banged the top of my head on the door opening full force. (swore, almost fell backwards out of the van, swore again)
    5th - got out of the van after banging my head and promptly fell over the metal bike stand.

Not a good day!

However, the weather was good, hubby and son both had a good time, so all was good in the end.