Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2008 9:00pm (Jun 13th 2008)

First there was one egg

The thing Holly smelled under the dock.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2008 9:01pm (Jun 13th 2008)

Then there were two

Pigeon pic two
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2008 1:00pm (Jun 14th 2008)

Ooohh can I put a picture of this birds nest in my front garden on here ?? Its got 3 eggs in it and my dad says hell be taking a pic this weekend heehee
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2008 1:17pm (Jun 14th 2008)

Hm or I might make another thread because then it will get confusing !!
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2008 11:23pm (Jun 14th 2008)

Looking forward to seeing the new pix Diane! Have seen yours vicki - seems its that time of year again!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:03am (Jun 15th 2008)

Here they are!

Mama dove saying: *YOU again??*

Photobucket

And then there were three!
    Photobucket
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:06am (Jun 15th 2008)

This is where the nest is. Look along the rail - see where it gets taller by about three inches? Look straight down from there. I put my hand through the lowest rail, angle the camera and click. Can't really see them from above... (But Holly can smell them!)

Photobucket
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:34am (Jun 15th 2008)

Its a pigeon not a dove!! Great pictures though - look foward to seeing them hatch too!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:53am (Jun 15th 2008)

No it is actually a dove: *Rock Dove (Columbia livia)* But, yeah, all of us have switched the name - and call this common city bird a pigeon. I'm trying to reverse the name back because I think they are under-appreciated. :P

I'm really glad you want to see them hatch. I'm getting very excited about that. Can't believe I've walked above them on the docks for years and never noticed...
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:54am (Jun 15th 2008)

Yes, good dog, Holly! :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:58am (Jun 15th 2008)

Rarf!
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 12:59am (Jun 15th 2008)

Do you have 'Fawlty Towers ' out there, Diane? The rock dove/pigeon schism reminds me of the Siberian Hamster/Rat contretemps! :)
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 1:08am (Jun 15th 2008) edited

I've seen it. A long time ago. Is that what they call rats? That's FUNNY.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 1:12pm (Jun 15th 2008)

So, a pigeon is really called a rock dove?! Much grander name - perhaps people would be nicer about them if they were called that still.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 2:44pm (Jun 15th 2008)

Manuel comes home with a rat. Only he says 'No ees rat; Ees Siberian Jamster. He called Basil'...
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 6:27pm (Jun 15th 2008)

CC, I love Faulty Towers..it has always been a favorite. I bought the VHS tape set for my daughter because it was her all time favorite show.
    Diane is right, we call that "pigeon" a Rock Dove. We do get Band-tail Pigeons and Mourning Doves around here in the Spring and Summer, but they leave in the Fall.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 7:30pm (Jun 15th 2008)

Que!:D
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 8:12pm (Jun 15th 2008) edited

I have Band-Tails and Mourning Doves in my yard right now Lynn. I've been stalking my bird feeder for photos, so maybe I'll be able to capture one. I used to call the Band Tails flying dumpsters - because six of them will take over my poor little feeder at one time. But, it doesn't seem they consume that much more than the other birds really. Per pound, I think the Chickadees and Juncos eat the most.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2008 8:45pm (Jun 15th 2008)

Chickadees? Juncos?
    You're 'avin' a laugh, incha?
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:19am (Jun 16th 2008) edited

I don't get to the Marina every day, and it was so beautiful here today - I decided to see how many birds I could capture on camera (fair warning: My camera is a @#$@#) at our feeders. So I crept outside in disguise (including sunglasses) and held really still, sitting on a lawn chair about 3 feet from the feeders.

It appears that the (Chestnut Backed) Chickadees always arrive first at a vacant feeder.
    Chestnut Backed Chickadees
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:21am (Jun 16th 2008) edited

And following them, its always another small bird - the Nuthatch:
    Nuthatch
    (Red Breasted Nuthatch, for those who are interested.)
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:29am (Jun 16th 2008) edited

Once the little birds have given the impression the coast is clear, some of the bigger birds begin to show up. This guy would always buzz past, land about 15 feet away, buzz back the other way, land and repeat for about five minutes. Sometimes he'd fly really close to me - trying to get that inscrutable lump on the lawn chair to react in some way. Finally, he'd settle in for a few bites at the feeder.
    Photobucket (Downy Woodpecker)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:30am (Jun 16th 2008)

Then this guy showed up!
    Photobucket (Northern Flicker)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:32am (Jun 16th 2008)

Next - a medium sized bird, the Spotted Towhee.
    Spotted Towhee
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:34am (Jun 16th 2008)

Then the truly shy birds took a chance. Here's a Purple Finch:
    Purple Finch
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:35am (Jun 16th 2008)

Don't know why I'm posting this one because I'm sure you won't be able to make it out. Chipping Sparrow - this little bird really wanted to pick up seed falling on the ground but couldn't quite work up the courage.
    Chipping Sparrow
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:38am (Jun 16th 2008)

After a half hour or so, I'd been sitting so still in my disguise that something I had been kind of fearing happened. I felt a bird land by my shoulder on the chair. I'd been coaching myself not to jump if that happened and I didn't. After a few seconds it walked down the arm of the chair and stood next to my wrist, where I could see it without moving. It was a Junco. Sorry CC, couldn't get a picture of it. :P
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 2:41am (Jun 16th 2008)

I decided it was time to go in. Of course, as I got to the porch (waaay out of range of my profoundly irritating camera) a bunch of birds converged on the feeders. Here's one attempt to capture an American Goldfinch, a female Black Headed Grosbeck and a Purple Finch.
    American Goldfinch, Black Headed Grosbeck (female), Purple Finch
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 8:06am (Jun 16th 2008)

Great pics Diane.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 8:30am (Jun 16th 2008)

Beautiful pictures, Diane. I just love when the little birds come to feed.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:42am (Jun 16th 2008)

I like the name pigeon, i think it's cute...it's just that people have associated them with scratty city birds known as 'vermin.'

Lovely bird pics Diane, and i like you got mum in a pic by her nest :)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:43am (Jun 16th 2008)

I like pigeons. I once kept one in my back garden.:)
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:47am (Jun 16th 2008)

There's a pet shop that sell pigeons nearby and i've always wanted some. Was it (he/she?) tame?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:49am (Jun 16th 2008)

Yes it was tame. It was a racing pigeon that flew into my garden to have a rest. The next day it got run over. :cry:
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:50am (Jun 16th 2008)

Aw no :(
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:51am (Jun 16th 2008) edited

I know. I was only little. And to come home from primary school and being told Pidgey had been run over was heartbreaking.:(
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:54am (Jun 16th 2008) edited

I remember once, i was about four / five, one of my gerbils died. She died between the rungs of her ladder, we figured she must have had stomach ache and gone there to ease the pain, but because she died in the night by morning rigamortis (sp?) had set in. My mum couldn't get her out no matter how hard she tried (this included belting her against the garden step when i was inside the house, i later found out!)

In the end we burried her with the ladder, and my mum said it was so she could 'climb the stairway to heaven' :rolling:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 12:04pm (Jun 16th 2008)

I remember once when my hamster died.:( I woke up one morning and it was lying at the bottom of the cage. At this point it was still alive 'cos it was breating. It felt cold so my sister made it a little hot water bottle (it was warm NOT hot) and it peed on the hot water bottle and then died.:(
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 1:59pm (Jun 16th 2008)

There's not a lot you ca say to that really is there?
    Excellent pics, Diane; want to come and take some of Gravy the chick for me? (Good name,that, Pam; I'm 'avin' it!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 6:43pm (Jun 16th 2008)

Awww. Sad hamster stories. :( Sob.

I LOVE that name: Gravy. That's great. So, since you've named her/him, that's means your keeping her/him. Right?

I really need to get a good camera. There are so many amazing shots I could get then. Today there were six Nuthatches feeding (and some were babies because they were being fed.)

Lynn - yesterday's collection included a Mourning Dove. But all my shots were so awful I couldn't bear to post them...

Thanks for your comments on my birdie photos everyone :D
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 6:55pm (Jun 16th 2008)

My fave is the northern flicker - how great is he!! (or she of course). I can't believe how many you get.

I must aplogise Red, I laughed at the gerbil/ladder story. But I did go "oh no, how awful" first - honest!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 7:18pm (Jun 16th 2008)

Thanks Kate :) Have you ever seen one? They have orange under their wings so they look great when they fly. And they have a large black necklace that doesn't show in this photo.

The gerbil story did sound like something out of Gerald Durrell's *My Family and Other Animals* (Red, if you haven't read this - you really must!)

Oooo - I just heard Elvis squawking about something. He sound indignant.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2008 11:39pm (Jun 16th 2008)

Nope. Never seen one or even heard of one before! Not sure they show their beaks in this country and if they do they've got more sense than to do it round these parts!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 5:11am (Jun 17th 2008) edited

They are big birds Kate. Quite flashy. They're around 12.5 inches (32 cm)
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 12:04pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Nope, never heard of that Diane. I'll have to look into it :)

And Kate, every time someone brings up the dead gerbil story now it gets funnier and funnier...poor little Scarlet inside sobbing her eyes out whilst her mum whacks her beloved gerbil against the step. Classy :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 2:03pm (Jun 17th 2008)

It would've been more tactful to quitely saw through a rung...
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 2:22pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Diane have you ever heard of / seen a type of bird called Frogmouths?? They're the weirdest things ever - someone bought one being sold as a chicken (a CHICKEN?!?!) and i actually didn't believe it was a real photo until i googled 'Frogmouths' !

They're the strangest birds! How could you think they were chickens?? And the really weird one with its eyes closed (second pic, i think) they actually have red and yellow eyes :o
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 2:23pm (Jun 17th 2008) edited

• CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 3:52pm (Jun 17th 2008) edited

Thats wierd! The last link REALLY scared me.:(
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 4:37pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Aw no, i think they look brilliant! I didn't mean to scare anyone - just think of that great camouflage though! And they have feathery beaks - how weird is that?!?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 4:59pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Really weird.:)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 6:16pm (Jun 17th 2008)

They are cool. Looks like they are Asian birds? I've never seen them before. Can't believe someone would think they were chickens. I wonder what their egg production is like.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 6:18pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Oooo. Just googled them. Looks like Peter might know of them! So, their camouflage is because they are nocturnal. Need to hide out during the day. They couldn't be LESS like chickens!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 6:44pm (Jun 17th 2008)

They look like logs, don't they? Odd...
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 6:51pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Fantastic!! They're a little bit scary - like something out of The Hobbit or some other fairy story - but the camouflage and general appearance is brilliant! (wonder if they eat frogs?)
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 7:44pm (Jun 17th 2008)

They're kinda scary, but they're so cool to look at.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 8:44pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Yeah they are cool.:)
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 10:03pm (Jun 17th 2008)

Nightmares tonight for a few of us sensitive folk .
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2008 10:12pm (Jun 17th 2008)

There are sensitive folk on hencam...?!?! :o
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:04pm (Jun 18th 2008)

A duck's quack is the only known sound not to echo...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:05pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Really? I never knew that.:)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:06pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Apparantly, not that i've ever tried it :D
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:07pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Thats really random. I wonder who actually fingured it out.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:08pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Ha, that's a good point, i never thought of that! I wonder why it doesn't echo though? :o
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:09pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I wonder if we could find that out from somewhere.:)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:10pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Where's Luke when you need him? :D
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:13pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I found this wierd site. Where someone did the experiment. Here is the link.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:14pm (Jun 18th 2008)

It says that quacks do echo!:)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:17pm (Jun 18th 2008) edited

Oooh, that is interesting. I read about it in a science book at school, and I heard it again on some car advert on TV the other day...So do you think it does echo then???

We really should ask someone with a duck to try it out....Lynn? :)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:18pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I think it does. What about you?:)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:21pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I guess it does (why wouldn't it?) but i'm pretty sad about that, LOL! I always wanted to believe that there was something mysterious about ducks, and that their quack didn't echo...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:22pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I suppose it is just a myth then.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:24pm (Jun 18th 2008)

No Ace! Don't say that until we know for sure! I command that you go outside right now, get a duck, and bring it back here until it quacks... :D
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:26pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Where on earth would i get a duck from. Anyway it is pouring down outside and i would rather not get wet.:)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:28pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Ducks come out in the rain! That is my argument, anyway...there's a guy who lives a few minutes walk across the fields who owns ducks, maybe i could borrow one of his?

Aaargh, i've been searching google and it really does seem as though a duck's quack does echo. Oh well :(
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 3:31pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Yesi was searching google for ducks quacks aswell. Appearently they do echo. I think you should borrow a duck. It would be hilarious!:D
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:44pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Ill steal 1 from school hehe not sure how though ...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:44pm (Jun 18th 2008)

You have ducks at school!
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:47pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Ya about erm 2 mum ducks and ermm 10 baby ones in the monets garden. Theyre getting quite big now !
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:51pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Awwwwwwww. Get one then. And then take lots of pics.:)
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:57pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Im not sure if I can because were not allowed cameras or phones at school but er oh yeah I know , Ill try and get some pics next wednesday because in I.C.T , we have to bring in a camera because were making this website about a virtual tour of the school and we have to take pics of the classrooms and stuff muahahahaa !!!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:58pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Cool!:)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 4:59pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Went to see the Rock Dove yesterday, Holly & I. She is still sitting happily on her three eggs. Until I stick the camera in her face. Then she storms off in a huff. But, no worries, she comes right back.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 5:51pm (Jun 18th 2008)

She probably hasn't had time to do her hair or make-up...
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 5:53pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Bloody paparazzi...:\
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 11:17pm (Jun 18th 2008)

Did I mention that we had a pigeon living in the roof at work? Our office is at the top of the building and we'd heard it for a while. The lovely lady who's in charge of the buildings etc came up to see someone and on the way down heard it coo-ing. She asked what it was then said "I'll get someone to come and sort it out. The man will have to come shoot it".

We were horrified. Last Friday a man arrived to take a look. He moved a ceiling tile and the pigeon flew out of the vent it'd come in through. (Its a mission impossible pigeon - there's a rotating fan in the vent!) Then the man arrived with his gun but had to go away again because they couldn't find it (hurray!!) Anyway, they've been again this week and chased it out and put mesh over the vent, so the pigeon lives to runny poo on someone's head another day!

Oh yes, when they came to cover the vent they wanted to make sure it wasn't closed in but couldn't find it. They searched and searched. Then one of them looked up and it was perched on the edge of the vent watching them!!
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 11:19pm (Jun 18th 2008)

That was a really exiting story, Kate! It had me sitting on the edge of my seat, and it had the perfect ending :D
    • CommentTimeJun 18th, 2008 11:23pm (Jun 18th 2008)

I love a happy ending!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2008 1:46am (Jun 19th 2008)

Yes, that was an excellent story Kate. Bird outsmarts men - as usual. :D I can't believe they allow the use of guns in situations like that there though. Wow. I think you'd end up in jail if you fired off a gun in an office building here...
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2008 7:44am (Jun 19th 2008)

My ducks quacks echo,Red.
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2008 8:44am (Jun 19th 2008) edited

Yay! Thanks Lynn. Now we know the answer.:cheer:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2008 11:12am (Jun 19th 2008)

My childhood innocence is now in tatters :(
    :rolling: Thanks for checking for us Lynn :D
    • CommentTimeJun 19th, 2008 6:00pm (Jun 19th 2008)

If they'd fired a gun, Kate would've killed 'em anyway for being cruel!
    • CommentTimeJun 20th, 2008 8:20pm (Jun 20th 2008)

Too right! I was out at a meeting that afternoon though so wouldn't have been able to. I assume it'd be more of a pellet type gun than a real bullet though. It was a trained marksman but I just couldn't see what was wrong with chasing it out. Thankfully there was no nest!
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2008 12:59pm (Jun 23rd 2008)

ok first regarding diane's photos at the begining, the pigeon eggs are so cute!!! and triplets!!!!!:) I have pigeons lay eggs at my apartment porch. the first was just one egg and the second time it was two eggs, so i guess it is kind of like triples only a couple of months apart:| the best thing about pigeons is that you can hold their babies when they leave the nest and pet them as long as they dont find out. I have so many pictures of the little pigeon growing up maybe i should post them one day.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd, 2008 11:23pm (Jun 23rd 2008)

Yes please Nancy!
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2008 3:42pm (Jun 25th 2008)

ok here it goes:
    pigeon
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2008 3:43pm (Jun 25th 2008)

Aw nancy she is beautiful! Where is / was her nest?
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2008 3:43pm (Jun 25th 2008)

OMG it works:D:swingin: I will now attemp to use my skill of cropping photos.
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJun 25th, 2008 3:59pm (Jun 25th 2008)

ok here are the rest of the photos, keep in mind these were taken before the world of digital camera so i had to scan them and was too lazy to crop them to the right size:|

here is the female mama pigeon sitting on the egg (at least i assumed this was the female:S):

Photobucket

here is the father sitting on the egg:

Photobucket

the pigeon growing up:
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

the baby pigeon and his/her parents:
    Photobucket