Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 9:47am (Jul 22nd 2008)

I didnt know what it was at first so I goggled it too and I found out its that yummy cube cake thingy yay mmm !!
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 1:16pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

I was at a cafe buying cakes with a friend a few years ago, we'd been on a bike ride and stopped off for an energy boost. She wanted some battenburg but had forgotten what it was called, so she was trying to describe it to the waitress. The woman said, "OH! I know what you're on about, you mean Russian cake!"

She came back a few minutes later with the most disgusting cake ever...it was a big sticky slab of sponge cake with fruit mixed in, covered in inch-thick pink icing. Yuch! :fierce: My friend had to sit there and eat it and pretend she was really enjoying it :rolling:

So, anyone tried Russian Cake before? :)
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 1:36pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Oh I hate it when someone serves you something bad and you have to fake like it. I was at a sushi resteraunt and I had to pretend I had some stomach issues just to appear somewhat respectful to the owner who was so nice and yet made such "unique" tasting sushi:|
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 1:39pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Aw bless, nancy! I was at a friend's house whose parents are really strict about eating all your food, and i had to eat half a plate of peas...I detest peas :fierce:
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 1:42pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

:O I love peas!!!! I hate parsely (sp?)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 3:15pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

I hate peas too. Yuch! :fierce:
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 6:11pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Red, I'm with you... I HATE PEAS!!!!:fierce: I'd rather starve to death than eat Peas. I buy a lot of them however, as my chickens and ducks love them.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 7:14pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

I hate most things - but I don't mind peas (as long as there aren't too many!)
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 7:59pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

I must say I am very very shocled!!:O What kind of peas are you guys eating? I eat the small very dark green colored ones. Are you guys eating the ones straight from the bean plant?
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 8:05pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

I only like to eat frozen peas. Any others like mushed and tinned are bleugh !!
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 8:14pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Frozen peas are the kind I eat.
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 8:25pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Battenburg cake is pink & yellow sponge cake...wrapped in MARZIPAN!!! :fierce: 'Orrible.
    I like peas though - esapecially fresh fropm the pod. I used to 'help' my nana shell peas until she shooed me off saying she couldn't afford to have my 'help' any more - I ate more than I put in the colander.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2008 3:44am (Jul 23rd 2008)

I am pro-pea, if we are keeping score. Fresh peas anyway.

I don't think Battenburg cake is a thing over here. Is it Lynn?
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2008 5:25am (Jul 23rd 2008)

I had never heard of Battenburg cake or seen it, Diane..I had to go to google to see what it was. I've never had Marzipan either, maybe I wouldn't like it, but it sounds kind of good to me.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2008 7:23am (Jul 23rd 2008)

I didn't think of googling it. I'll have to do that - if I ever get finished uploading TWO videos...
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 12:23pm (Jul 28th 2008) edited

Nancy, yup those are the peas i hate. I also can't stand sweetcorn or baked beans...but i like chickpeas, kidney beans, butterbeans etc :hungry:

Do the people who don't like peas like sweetcorn, if that makes any sense?
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:33pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I like peas and sweetcorn :shades:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:39pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I don't like peas but like sweetcorn.;)
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:43pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I love sweetcorn!!!
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:44pm (Jul 28th 2008)

i like sweetcorn on pizza
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:45pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Sweetcorn on pizza does taste nice.:hungry:
      CommentAuthornancy
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:46pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I will have to try it sometime!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:46pm (Jul 28th 2008)

You should because it is delicious.
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:49pm (Jul 28th 2008)

my brother doesn't like it and if we share a pizza with sweetcorn on he sits and picks ever piece off. How weird is that?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:50pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Very weird indeed.
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:52pm (Jul 28th 2008)

He is a weirdo my brother. He just got a new phone for his birthday and i have his old one now :clap:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 1:53pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Cool.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 6:48pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Is sweetcorn the same as corn? I've never heard of that on pizza. But I love corn - especially right out of the garden. Peas too. Red, it sounds like you like anything that resembles card board...
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 7:02pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Yes, sweetcorn is corn. Yellow stuff on cobs. And i like it -AND peas!
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 9:32pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I like peas and corn - and I hate most food! I thought all veggies/vegans ate all veg just because they starved otherwise! ;)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 9:38pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I eat pasta most of the time.:hungry:
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 9:39pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Hate pasta.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 9:39pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Oooo. Pasta almost every night for me.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 9:41pm (Jul 28th 2008)

I also eat EGGS!:)
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 11:54pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Peas..BaRf.:fierce: I do love corn however :hungry:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 1:14am (Jul 29th 2008)

Corn is going to become more and more expensive now that it is food for cars. If Hencam tastes are any measure - maybe they should make ethanol out of PEAS!
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 6:28am (Jul 29th 2008)

I'd be for that one, Diane. Well, except I buy lots of frozen peas a week for my chickens and ducks..they really love them. I use a 2 pound package a day for snacks in the afternoon.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 6:36pm (Jul 29th 2008)

Wow - what is the food bill for your farm Lynn? I can barely afford the appetites of one dog, two cats, and the yard birds (& bunny, & squirrel, & rat.)
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 10:25pm (Jul 29th 2008)

Diane, it's right around $500 a month to feed the 21 chickens, 12 ducks, 2 geese, 2 horses, 3 dogs and 2 cats. The feed bill keeps going up because of the price of fuel and the price of grain.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 10:58pm (Jul 29th 2008)

I bet it is worth it though. Looking after animals is so rewarding.:)
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2008 4:00am (Jul 30th 2008) edited

Holy Cow, Lynn! Do you have the room/time to plant some feed? Would it be any cheaper?
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2008 5:17am (Jul 30th 2008)

I don't have the time to grow the feed and take care of all the critters at the same time, I'm meeting myself coming and going as it is. I'd have to cut down all the big trees to have the room to grow the feed, I'm a tree hugger and couldn't bring myself to do that. It wouldn't be any cheaper in the long run anyway. I guess the only way, would be to get rid of some of my animals, but I can't bring myself to even think of doing that. I just have to keep paying the feed bills.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2008 4:52pm (Jul 30th 2008)

Like Ace said, they are worth it. Although neither she nor I are forking out the dough!
    • CommentTimeAug 1st, 2008 7:42pm (Aug 1st 2008)

Family/social novels. Excellently written, but always with a quaint 1920s/30s feel to them. even if they're set in the present day. Odd, but brilliant!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2008 2:04am (Aug 2nd 2008)

She's talking about Victoria Clayton, everyone. :P

I'm going to check one out at the library CC - sounds like my cup of tea!
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2008 2:31am (Aug 2nd 2008)

:shamed:Sorry, everyone; I thought I'd whispered that! But if anyone likes chicklit with braincells, Victoria Clayton's books are excellent! :)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:46pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

WHAT?!?! This just turned up in the 'new post' section. Noone has posted here for 1 whole day. I'm confuzzled!
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:47pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Diane and I are larruping about a postcard which I sent her from where I was on holiday...which I thought would be singularly boring for everyone else! :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:48pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

CC and I have been *whispering* about books we are reading, which probably aren't of interest to others. But I'll tell you the titles in case they are!

*Onions in the Stew*
    *My Family and Other Animals.*
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:49pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Oh yah, and a postcard. Well two postcards now CC.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:49pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I have no idea why it turned up in the 'new posts' bit because i had already read the last comment.:confused:
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:49pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Oo yes, forgot about the books!
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:56pm (Aug 3rd 2008) edited

How could you forget the books? :cry:

Ace, when you use the *whisper* function on here - it still reports a new post. And it shows the last *whisperer* as the last person to have posted. And, although they don't do it much - the administrators can read the posts.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 8:58pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Thanks Diane.:bigsmile:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:00pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Anything for you, Acie.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:00pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

BTW, Ace, have you ever read My Family And Other Animals? It's hilarious. Well, I think so, anyway...always a responsibility recommending a book. But anyone who likes animals and funny books should enjoy it! It's by Gerald Durrell.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:01pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

How far along are you today? (On this, your second reading.)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:02pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

No i haven't read it. But i think i will, sounds like my kind of book.:)
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:07pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Um, halfway through.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:14pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Wow - fast reading.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:15pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Yes, always did read fast; my ma used to cross question me as a brat to prove that I really had read what I said i had. and I had!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:16pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I slow down the closer I get to the end of a good book. I don't want it to be over. :(
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:17pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Part of the reason I love series - like the Cadfael books.
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:20pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I'm off - momentarily, as in 'for a moment'! - to put everyone to bed...I'll see if you're still here when I get back.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:21pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I will be still here.;)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:22pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Sigh. Its 1:30 pm here and I have done NO chores. And its Chores Day. So...sadly I must bid you adieu.

See you soon!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:22pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I mean i will be here, still!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:22pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Cheerio Diane.:)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:23pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Even the hens have gone to bed.

G'night CC & Ace. It was great fun to talk with you and Red today :D :D :D :D :D
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 9:23pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

Right back at you.;)
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd, 2008 10:58pm (Aug 3rd 2008)

I have read 2 of the Cadfael stories in my book (which has the first 3 stories in). I don't like reading little bits at a time - I prefer to do whole chapters. Finished the 2nd story on holiday - it was lovely sitting in a cottage reading and not being bothrered by anyone (hubby had gone for an afternoon nap that lasted all evening too!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 1:00am (Aug 4th 2008)

Kate I just pulled out some picture books that Ellis Peters did - about Shrewsbury and the surrounding area. Very beautiful.

Mmm. That sounds like a wonderful time Kate. You were eating or drinking something wonderful at the time too, yes?
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 9:59am (Aug 4th 2008)

"Chores Day" Diane.
    Is that a monthly event then?
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 5:42pm (Aug 4th 2008)

It'd be a centennial event in my house...:\
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 6:19pm (Aug 4th 2008)

Well, theoretically its weekly Ollie. (According to the house manual and all that.) But in reality it might happen six times a year or so... Sounds like I'm a little ahead of CC though. Yesterday I *gardened* - which means that I attacked rows of nettles and they attacked back. I was actually swearing at one that managed to wrap itself around my neck when my neighbor said *hello* over the fence... :P
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 6:41pm (Aug 4th 2008)

I once subscribed to a merkin group called "Fly Lady" Forgotten why it was named that - full of advice on getting and keeping the house in order.
    I went along with it at first but soon flagged.... They were good at saying it didn't matter if you get behind.. and encouraging to keep going.
    Got fed up eventually, it took too much time to read the convoluted emus.
    Their turkey feather dusters are amazing though. I occasionally flick one around if I am expecting visitors.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 6:46pm (Aug 4th 2008)

Hmmm. I should get one of those. I hate dusting (or any cleaning) that just moves the dirt around. I feel so defeated when that happens.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 7:55pm (Aug 4th 2008)

I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp theory on dust; after the first half an inch, nobody notices...
    After my ma had her cataracts done, she could see dust. :\ She hasn't been invited much since...
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 10:45pm (Aug 4th 2008)

I hate cleaning. I need to get the dust and muck off the skirting boards but keep thinking of better things to do - like watching tv!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 10:46pm (Aug 4th 2008)

And going on HENCAM.......
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2008 10:47pm (Aug 4th 2008)

Of course!!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2008 12:28am (Aug 5th 2008)

LOL - who knew that Mum's eye surgery would limit her social life...
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2008 5:56pm (Aug 5th 2008)

I did warn her...