Site Tag Cloud

• CommentAuthortim
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2008 12:50pm (Jul 20th 2008)

I have a 12 month old cock who is the proud father of 5, 18 day old, Wyandotte chicks.
    The eggs were hatched in a dense patch of stinging nettles by the Wyandotte mother and re-housed into dediacated accommodation for mum and chicks. The cock is with the other hens and has become very partial to layer pellets. Does anyone know if this will upset his ability to father more offspring?
    All the birds are free range with a supplementary diet.
    Any comments would be gratefully received.
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2008 2:34pm (Jul 20th 2008)

I don't think so; my cockerel hoovers up everything from layers pellets to chick crumb and he's just fathered another chick! Red and Neil will know more about it.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2008 1:05pm (Jul 21st 2008) edited

Layers pellets are fine for cockerels as well as hens, so don't worry about it ;)

Good luck with your chicks, Wyandotte is a very pretty breed - I love the silver laced wyandottes, they're stunning to look at. Welcome to the site, too - i apologise if you've posted before and you're a regular, i must have missed you :D
    • CommentAuthortim
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2008 1:21pm (Jul 21st 2008)

Thanks for the reassurance and welcome. This is my fourth year keeping hens and whilst I am a lot more confident now than when I started it is good to know I can share problems with sympathetic chicken supporters!
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2008 7:28pm (Jul 21st 2008)

Most people seem to think you're crazy for caring about chickens, don't they? :P
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2008 11:47pm (Jul 21st 2008)

Good description of us Tim, especially as a lot of us don't even own chickens!!
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 9:50am (Jul 22nd 2008)

Like meeeee even though I want some but im not allowed :cry:
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2008 1:19pm (Jul 22nd 2008)

Everyone likes chickens though, so it's all good :bigsmile:
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2008 8:25pm (Jul 25th 2008)

I dont think that layers will affect the cock but try and give him a varied diet other than just layers perhaps. I have a giant tub of layers for my hens but I also have a large feeder full of split maize too and of course all the kitchen and cafe left overs. They are like pigs are my hens. Will eat anything. Cool! It makes me feel good to know I am not wasting any food, I even ask for hen bags when we all go out for meals too! I love seeing the staffs faces. But the hens love the usual debris of side salad, cold chips, etc.,
    hee hee. Recycle thats what I say. And the eggs are bloomin' lovely!
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2008 8:47pm (Jul 25th 2008)

Mine were eating shrivelled up water cress this morning, and cheese peel for tea. No accounting for taste...
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2008 9:17pm (Jul 25th 2008)

A banquet for them i bet!
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2008 5:28pm (Jul 26th 2008)

Well, there was a leetle contretemps over ownership of the watercress, as the rabbits decided that was for them. On the whole, though, everyone seemed satisfied with the blowout.
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 11:29am (Jul 27th 2008) edited

I just walked round to see my hens and cockerel (Prince Hal) and he came running to meet me. What a sight. He is so big he looks so funny when he tries to run. Sweeet. I am at the fishing Lakes today so took a loaf from the cafe to give to them.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 1:10pm (Jul 27th 2008)

Mine aren't that bothered about bread...spoilt!
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 2:09pm (Jul 27th 2008)

That's sweet that he would come running to see you - not expecting the bread by any chance was he?!
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 3:20pm (Jul 27th 2008)

dont think so. He is so fat and gorgeous. When he runs and all the girls follow him, its great! When I get near, I shout Hello best boy where are ya and he comes. They all helped me hang the washing out today. Very helpful!!
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 9:37pm (Jul 27th 2008)

That's great! My long-haired cat has spent the whole day sitting in the long grass. She must've been cooking out there even though she was in shade. Each time I went out with washing she'd follow me then go back to her place. Oops, its all still out! Better go get it before the bugs inhabit it.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2008 9:57pm (Jul 27th 2008)

Livia, Onion and Gravy leg it up to me when I go outside...but it's only cupboard love!
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 12:19pm (Jul 28th 2008)

what is cupboard love? liking the names.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 6:06pm (Jul 28th 2008) edited

Cupboard Love = Loving you because you know how to open the cupboard and get the food out...:)
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 10:03pm (Jul 28th 2008)

The reason cats love humans.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2008 10:04pm (Jul 28th 2008)

Cats love humans UNTIL they grow an opposable thumb. Then we're out...
    • CommentAuthorCake
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 12:30pm (Jul 29th 2008)

Ah, I see. I have fetched my camera to work with me today and on the way home i'm hopefully gonna capture a pic of Prince Hal running to me. hope it works.
    fingers crossed.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 5:06pm (Jul 29th 2008)

*crosses fingers* Hope it's a guddun!
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2008 11:14pm (Jul 29th 2008)

Oooo, can't wait to see!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2008 5:55pm (Jul 31st 2008)

Oh Yah Cake! Did it work? (Ooo just remembered, Photobucket has changed its format a lot. I need to post a new *how to* about it...)

Kate - it sounds like she was intent on getting her Vitamin D supply for the year!
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2008 10:39pm (Jul 31st 2008)

I think she's getting enough sun to last her the rest of the decade!!
    • CommentTimeAug 1st, 2008 12:45am (Aug 1st 2008)

You wonder why they don't burst into flames sometimes, don't you? I suppose it's like the winter (hooray!) when they sit so close to trhe fire you can smell burning fur...but they still stay there!