Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2008 9:11pm (Aug 25th 2008)

This is a photo of part of Holmes Harbor, the same harbor where my house is:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2008 9:12pm (Aug 25th 2008)

Here's Holly, pointing out that someone lives under this dock too:
    Photobucket

I squeezed under the dock and there was a nest, made of strands of seaweed. Can you see it?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2008 9:14pm (Aug 25th 2008)

After a day of serious hunting, Holly took a little nap with Maya:
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 25th, 2008 9:18pm (Aug 25th 2008)

Beautiful pictures, Diane. I love the first one the best...well the last one is pretty darn cute too.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 2:15am (Aug 26th 2008)

You HAVE to start selling them, Diane!
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 3:00am (Aug 26th 2008) edited

Awww. Thanks women! :blush:

Lynn, I was just about to replace the first one. Won't do that then...

The photos lose a lot in posting and my camera makes we want to cry at times. Today a bird was flying in a rage right at my face and my camera's SNAIL'S PACE at clicking meant that I got nothing *on film* :cry:

I guess you can tell this is a Merkin style whine...
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 5:27am (Aug 26th 2008) edited

I was thinking about this one Lynn:
    Photobucket

This was taken from the beach on the other side of the dock. You can just see the top of Mount Baker off in the distance, between Duck #3 and Duck #4:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 5:28am (Aug 26th 2008)

This is a farm below Ebey's Reserve:
    Photobucket

This is the view looking toward the beach:
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 1:25pm (Aug 26th 2008)

What's the view from your house? Can you see the sea?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 6:22pm (Aug 26th 2008)

The end of the dock, in the photo where Holly is climbing on the rocks, is pointing at my house. So, my view WAS Holmes Harbor, before all the fir trees in my yard grew really wide. I'm about six lots away from the beach anyway, so it was a distant view even so. (I could see the body of land across the harbor, called Greenbank, and the water in front of that.)

Technically, no one can see the sea/ocean from Whidbey. There are other islands and a peninsula between us and the actual ocean.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th, 2008 9:25pm (Aug 26th 2008)

I would love to be able to see the sea from my window. But being in the midlands (the name describes it well!) I've no chance! You live in a beautiful place Diane - thanks for the pictures, I love to see them.
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 12:03am (Aug 27th 2008)

My friend Ethel (94) always wanted to call her house 'Seaview'. We were even planning a carved housename.
    She lived at trhe end of our footpath, a looooooong way from the sea...:D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 3:46am (Aug 27th 2008)

Ah - I LIKE Ethel. Its sounds like she is no longer with us? Is that right?
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 4:26am (Aug 27th 2008) edited

Holly and I found another nest (while exiting the restroom at Holmes Harbor.) This is a new bird too - the Barn Swallow :D

My camera REALLY wasn't up for capturing an image of them. I can tell you that, just before the shutter finally opened and closed - four or five little open mouths framed by sweet yellow beaks, were pointing at the ceiling as the babies sang...
    Photobucket
    Most of the time the babies are tucked down in the nest and you can't see them at all.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 4:28am (Aug 27th 2008)

This is the best I could do in terms of getting a photo of the parental units. The photo that I almost smashed my camera after missing was of Daddy flying right at my lens, while my finger was pressed to the shutter button the whole time:

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 7:16pm (Aug 27th 2008)

Hi ACIE! I see that you're on-line :D Do you have barn swallows over there? Beautiful little birds. Very speedy though. I've been trying for years to get a pic of one of 'em in flight. Zip zip.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 7:28pm (Aug 27th 2008)

Hi Diane. I am not too sure if we have barn swallows. We do have normal swallows though!;)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 27th, 2008 7:35pm (Aug 27th 2008)

I like the color of the barn swallows - those beautiful shades of brown. The swallows that live at my house are violet and green, which sounds prettier but - I don't know - in flight I really like those brown colors.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 2:23am (Aug 28th 2008)

Everyone, meet Ms. Ethel Charles, yard bunny:

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 2:26am (Aug 28th 2008)

Holly has never been impressed with Ethel and wants her dinner. (And, no, the menu does not now, nor shall it ever, include rabbit...)
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 3:35pm (Aug 28th 2008)

Wants her dinner? Or wants her FOR dinner?
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 5:09pm (Aug 28th 2008)

Aw Diane that's a lovely pic of Holly...I've never seen a pic of her up-close before, she's beautiful!

We were in this pub last night and there was a huge old Golden Retriever living there who lolloped around waiting to be stroked. It was a huge dog and had gorgeous brown eyes like Holly's.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 5:21pm (Aug 28th 2008)

Thank you Red! My little dog is beautiful to me, but I an very influenced by her incredible spirit so I don't think I really know what she looks like anymore.

That Golden sounds wonderful. Holly wasn't always interested in getting petted by strangers but in the last year she's started this thing where she starts going: *Uh-uh-uh* when someone comes into my office and sometimes even when seeing a stranger on the street. She sounds desperate for them to pet her and, of course, people are charmed by it.
    • CommentTimeAug 28th, 2008 8:47pm (Aug 28th 2008)

I love the nests swallows build - such work goes into them! If only all houses were built with such love and care!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 5:31am (Aug 29th 2008)

Oh Kate what a wonderful observation. Thanks for writing that. :heart:
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 5:33am (Aug 29th 2008) edited

Here's a merkin store from another era:
    Photobucket
    Its operated by the Coup family, for whom Coupeville on Whidbey Island is named. The store reminds me of one of the little model buildings my dad used to put with his train set. I love the screen door, gas pumps, ice box (for bags of ice and fishing bait.) See the bench out in front? Old timers still sit out there and watch the world go by. :)
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 5:44am (Aug 29th 2008)

no longer a member

Now thats a real store
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:18pm (Aug 29th 2008) edited

I'm glad you liked it Wazza. There is an actual postcard of it, from this view. So I thought I'd snap a pic and see what it looked like on-line...
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:29pm (Aug 29th 2008) edited

Greenbank Farm pond. (The farm is a community space of many acres, where Holly and Reb & Ranger and I walk a lot.)

Little tan duck:
    Photobucket

Oh for a better camera...
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:37pm (Aug 29th 2008)

That store is great! Like something out of an american movie where everyone's going to die of some rare disease, or a UFO has been spotted.

The white duck is great! Love the way his feet stick out to the side. He needs some swimming tips from Phelps!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:40pm (Aug 29th 2008)

LOL - if you saw the employees you would know how VERY funny and apropos that observation was, Kate. Oh my - too funny!

Yes, I thought the white duck was a truly funny character. I'm glad you did too. Only wish I had more detail in his feathers, etc...
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:49pm (Aug 29th 2008)

Do the old timers chew baccy too?!
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:50pm (Aug 29th 2008)

(and I don't mean the star wars character either!)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:52pm (Aug 29th 2008)

Pretty much any Merkin from the country stereotype you can think of. And, I should add, that includes how sweet and helpful they are.

Have you heard that (both sides having chosen their Vice Presidents) that the USA is either going to have an African American President or a woman Vice President? Thats a major historical change for us.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 8:55pm (Aug 29th 2008)

I don't think we really care who's VP - no one ever remembers them unless they do something stupid!!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 9:03pm (Aug 29th 2008)

In this case though, given McCain's age, this woman (whose name I can't yet remember) would be a heart beat away from the Presidency.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th, 2008 10:29pm (Aug 29th 2008)

Is Obama half black or are both his parents black? I can't seem to see that reported anywhere, but i knew you'd know! I have to say they're taking the P out of his Grecian Temple backdrop for his speech here! :)
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 2:45am (Aug 30th 2008) edited

deleted comment...
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 1:52pm (Aug 30th 2008)

So he's as white as he is black. That's good; bats for both 'sides' - no-one can claim him for their own agenda.
    O'Bama gave a speech against a quasi-Grecian temple backdrop somewhere....like a film set. The press here were smirking at the 'showbizziness' of it.
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 3:34pm (Aug 30th 2008)

What has happened to the above comment?????????:confused:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 3:34pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Okay that is VERY scary!:shocked:
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 3:49pm (Aug 30th 2008)

ooeerrrr eek i think its a glitch or something haylp red or neilllll
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 4:07pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Yes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vicki are those Jemima's ear?
      CommentAuthorTori
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 4:08pm (Aug 30th 2008)

thats not jemima its a random picture of a kitteh kat i found on teh interwebs ! i think we should stop talking in this threaadd !!!!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 4:09pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Yes we should! See you in another thread!:D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 5:17pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Neil can you fix my thread? :(
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 6:00pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Ooer...did I press summink I didn't oughter of?
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 6:47pm (Aug 30th 2008)

What a messa you amada dis tread !!!!
    OOO didit??
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 7:35pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Weren't me!
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 8:46pm (Aug 30th 2008)

Must of bin me....but I must say I like the array of Arfurs and the millions of Maisies!
    • CommentTimeAug 30th, 2008 8:53pm (Aug 30th 2008)

So they've chosen a woman who's only been a guvn'r for 18 months and could be president if McCain pops his clogs the day after he's elected! And they were criticising Obama for not having experience! I was shocked that Bush was voted in and will be even more so if she wins votes. I know nothing about her (except she's anti-abortion, pro-gun) but it doesn't sound like a good candidate to me!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 1:16am (Aug 31st 2008)

You know exactly as much as everyone else. This choice is an amazing insult to women...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 1:25am (Aug 31st 2008)

YAY this thread is back to normal!!!!!!!
    Well on this page it is, the last page isn't.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 1:56am (Aug 31st 2008)

It looks the same to me.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 2:02am (Aug 31st 2008)

CC - can you try deleting your comment where this starts? Just to see if that changes anything? I'm going to delete the one just prior...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 2:07am (Aug 31st 2008)

Whoa! It worked! I deleted the text in the thread right before the mess up and now the thread back to normal. Is that true for everyone else???

I wonder if the "blockquote" html I had in the post I deleted did that bad thing to the thread, somehow. Anyway. Onward. :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 4:39am (Aug 31st 2008)

Useless Bay Coffee Company, in Langley, is owned by Des. A Brit.
    Photobucket

While we had coffee there was a marimba band, and a poodle:
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 1:06pm (Aug 31st 2008)

Was the poodle singing or playing a marimba? :shocked:
    That woman sounds the sort I hate; she's been a beauty queen (how v. feminist), played ice hockey...all sorts of irrelevant stuff. I fail to see how it makes her a good politician, although everyone else seems to think it does...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 7:29pm (Aug 31st 2008)

She is a creationist, thinks global warming is a hoax, is homophobic, is a spokesperson for drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Reserve, is being investigated for lying and abuse of power as Governor (already - she's only been doing it a year and a half), is the kind of person who would agree to run for Vice President when, in July, she asked CNBC anchor Larry Kudlow: "What is it exactly that the vice president does all day?" Kudlow told her that the job has become more important these days... Its truly frightening.

The joke about the poodle is that there are more dogs than people in Langley. We take them everywhere.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 7:41pm (Aug 31st 2008)

Mother swallow feeds her babies. (This is yet another nest! I missed it last time I was at Holmes Harbor.)
    Photobucket

This is a shot of their home:

Where'd you go mom?
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 7:51pm (Aug 31st 2008)

Yesterday morning I was watching the swallows and house martins congregating together on the telephone wires getting ready to fly off to Africa.
    Not noticed the mixing of the two species before.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 7:57pm (Aug 31st 2008)

Oooo. House Martins - don't have those here. How exciting to think of a bird flying from England to Africa. Maybe they've negotiated some kind of 'safety in numbers' deal.
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 8:58pm (Aug 31st 2008)

I read an article on her in today's newspaper Diane but it didn't mention the global warming or drilling thing. That is VERY worrying considering she's the guv'ner of Alaska!! I see she's just had a downs syndrome baby - will he be used as a polical pawn now to get the anti-abortionists on board? Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of americans that share her views - I really hope they are outnumbered by the sensible folk. Just imagine if she became president by default?! How old is McCain? 70s? I know this isn't in 'our' country but it does have an effect with america being such a big 'power'.
    • CommentTimeAug 31st, 2008 8:58pm (Aug 31st 2008)

I had the same thought about the birds Diane! Brilliant photo of them feeding - and of the babies with their mouths firmly closed!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2008 1:00am (Sep 1st 2008)

:blush: Awww. Thanks Kate!

(I'll shoot you an email about Palin. The more you know, though, the more scary it gets.) McCain is 72, a cancer survivor, and an ex-prisoner of war. Its an unfortunate reality that he may have a somewhat shortened life expectancy. So-VERY scary. It also really brings his judgment into question. And, yes, I think this is definitely an international issue.
      CommentAuthorwazza
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2008 10:11am (Sep 1st 2008)

no longer a member

Diane.. we so need to stop by on our next US tour and pay you a visit and see all these place
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2008 7:00pm (Sep 1st 2008) edited

I would LOVE that Wazza. Let Init know that my house is no where near as nice as your's but there is so MUCH to see around here. :D

Ollie already has reservations - so I may need to install bunk beds.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2008 7:03pm (Sep 1st 2008)

A little touch of reality in the ferry line...
    Photobucket

But then I got a parking spot right in the front, for the ride to the main land. Happiness.
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeSep 1st, 2008 7:47pm (Sep 1st 2008)

Will you get off your arse and get these published woman??? They are such good quality pictures. 'Weather is...naffing it down in this queue...wish you were here'!:)
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2008 2:44am (Sep 2nd 2008) edited

LOL - thanks for your feedback CC. I do kind of like that ferry line one. I'm still searching for, say five, that really float my boat. Then, maybe...

If I ever do it, I'm going to have to get a better camera and re-shoot each shot. :_photos:

I love that you think that though. I feel encouraged. :heart:
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2008 10:01am (Sep 2nd 2008)

Diane I've spent a very enjoyable half hour reading this thread and going through your brilliant pics - they're fascinating as they really do give you a feeling for where you live and a bit of insight into your life - thanks for sharing!
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2008 4:13pm (Sep 2nd 2008)

Oh, and just to frighten you, Diane; I spent this morning tuning pianos in Langley! :)
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2008 5:48pm (Sep 2nd 2008)

Wonderful pics, Diane. I love the one of the ferry to Seattle. :001_rolleyes:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd, 2008 5:54pm (Sep 2nd 2008)

Awww, Neil :blush: Thanks so much for telling me that. This thread has been a great outlet for my incessant photographing. My friends here rue the day that digital cameras replaced film and therefore liberated me to take a picture of anything and everything. :blink:

Hey, Lynn thats exactly right - Seattle is right in the middle of the horizon on that frame. Thanks for telling me which ones you like. As CC keeps reminding me - I'm kind of frustrated with the quality of the postcards of my beautiful island so I've been, half seriously, trying out which images might make good ones.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2008 5:25pm (Sep 3rd 2008) edited

ummm.......hold on a minute, what happened to this thread before? Is it fixed now? Was funny reading the 'this thread is broken' comments when it all looked normal, so guessing it is fixed now :D
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2008 6:12pm (Sep 3rd 2008)

The comments were on the green background, not in boxes, and the avatars were replicated in a long line...weird!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd, 2008 11:15pm (Sep 3rd 2008)

But when I deleted a post I had, with some html in it, all returned to norm. :D
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2008 11:57am (Sep 4th 2008)

Ha! How odd...I've had the forum come up white before with nancy's snoopy avatar just about everywhere all over the screen! :o Turns normal again when i refresh it though...wonder why it's always the snoopy avatar? Anyone else had that?
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2008 11:59am (Sep 4th 2008)

I haven't!!!!! For once it ISN'T me! :rolling:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2008 8:14pm (Sep 4th 2008)

Neither have I.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2008 9:27pm (Sep 4th 2008)

Nope...
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2008 12:10pm (Sep 5th 2008)

Ah. Well, it would appear it's just me then!
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2008 10:59pm (Sep 5th 2008)

Yes Red, just you. You are unique. Thankfully! ;)
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2008 1:07am (Sep 6th 2008)

I think it is really s==ty that John Sidney III McCain dumped his first wife ( Carol )for Cindy. You can read all about Carol McCain if you google her bame or read Wikipedia. For starters Carol was a swimsuit model and while John was a POW she was in a disfiguring accident ........ take it from there. John McCain has deep Mississippi roots. His paternal grandfather John McCain Sr was born about 30 miles from where I sit at this computer and his maternal grandfather was from another part of Mississippi. The one flaw I find in Mississippi men is they put too much emphasis on external beauty and not enough on beauty within women.My own husband ( born in Mississippi) even has a bad habit of telling me " how cute you were when you were 30" and such. He can not look in the mirror and see that he too is older than 30 now. I cope with it though. I would rather be older than " to have died young and made a pretty corpse. "
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2008 1:11am (Sep 6th 2008)

I just can not type today. meant to say " google Carol McCain ". By the way most of the men here are running around with their tongues hanging out and talking about how hot Sarah Palin is. :sleepout:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2008 2:34am (Sep 6th 2008)

Politics aside, I don't get that. Palin looks dowdy to me. What am I missing? Oh well. Doesn't matter.

I agree though - it too bad everyone doesn't know the story of Carol McCain. Says a lot about Johnny's character...
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2008 10:05pm (Sep 6th 2008)

I think Palin is trying to look intelligent and dowdy. I think she is trying to portray that movie image of the dowdy secretary who goes to take a letter and her boss removes the single hairgrip holding her hair in a bun (yeah, right!), she takes off her glasses, shakes her hair loose and he says "why, you're beautiful". I think a lot of men have that as a fantasy and that she's playing to it.
    • CommentTimeSep 6th, 2008 10:06pm (Sep 6th 2008)

While talking american politics, whose party is in power at the moment - Obama's or McCain's?
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 2:38am (Sep 7th 2008) edited

LOL - Kate: you realize the movie you are describing is porn, right? ;)

Bush is from the Republican party {fiscal and often social "conservatives"}, same as McCain. Obama (and Clinton) are from the Democratic party {social and often fiscal "liberals".}
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 4:13pm (Sep 7th 2008)

Its also in comedy (where the woman is uglier) and 'normal' movies! Though I admit, most men would probably be thinking of the same genre as you!!!

Its just that i heard McCain criticising something that had happened in recent years and said to my hubby "but HIS party did that" and hubby said it was the others. I was right, la la la!!! [dances around the room].
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 6:36pm (Sep 7th 2008)

Yup, with about six weeks to go (thank god), the Republicans have turned to the last chapter in their play book: Distract with Stupidity and Hypocrisy.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 7:24pm (Sep 7th 2008)

And Stephen Harper (our PM) just announced yet another snap election in 6 weeks.

Gotta love Canadian election process...BLISSFULLY short!
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 7:28pm (Sep 7th 2008)

I can't tell you how fed up we are with the merkin election on telly and wireless; I bet OUR elections aren't reported there. All right, tell us who's in it and who wins, but the rest...ENDLESS analysis! If we weren't hearing about it from Diane I wouldn't understand a word of it anyway. I spose you get the same in Canada - although presumably it'll be eclipsed by your own election.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 7:38pm (Sep 7th 2008)

OK.

Bloc Québécois: Gilles Duceppe
    Conservative Party of Canada: Stephen Harper (current PM with minority government)
    Liberal Party: Stephane Dion
    New Democratic Party of Canada: Jack Layton
    Green Party of Canada: Elizabeth May

Those are the parties that have seats in the house (Parliament)

Then the real fun begins..all the other parties!

Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party
    Canadian Action Party
    Christian Heritage Party
    Communist Party
    First Peoples National Party
    Libertarian Party
    Marxist-Leninist Party
    Marijuana Party
    Neo-Rhino Party
    Progressive Canadian Party
    Western Block Party

Weee!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 7th, 2008 10:43pm (Sep 7th 2008)

I took a drive to Oak Harbor (40 miles up island) yesterday to visit some friends and buy a hat. This is the roadway into town:
    Photobucket

North Whidbey (Oak Harbor) is as conservative as south Whidbey (where I live) is liberal. So, we have a zoning law that disallows the big chain stores. Oak Harbor welcomes them in. Its hard to take a representative picture of a city - but I think the next two achieve that to a certain extent:

A tavern on one of Oak Harbor's main streets:
    Photobucket

The final thing that defines Oak Harbor is that it is the home of the navy base. That's a small part of it, across the cove:
    Photobucket
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2008 12:05am (Sep 8th 2008)

Jonny - yawn!!! We have lots of little parties too. I might vote for one of them next time!

Diane - what wonderful blue skies!!!!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2008 1:52am (Sep 8th 2008)

Poor rain soaked Kate, even Oak Harbor looks good to her... ;)
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2008 3:05am (Sep 8th 2008)

I like the sound of the Neo Rhino party...are there any odd ones in the merkin elections, Diane, or has that woman shot 'em all? :D
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2008 3:15am (Sep 8th 2008) edited

Well here is a tidbit about the origins of the Neo Rhino party.

It promises, like its predecessor, not to keep any of its promises if elected. Among its early platform planks was to "take away soldiers' weapons, replace them with paintball guns, and repaint Havana." The party has also proposed a mandatory national gas barbecue registry.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeSep 8th, 2008 5:25am (Sep 8th 2008)

As Kate says, there are a numerous minor parties in any country.