Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2010 9:09am (Feb 21st 2010)

Wow woke up to loads of snow today it is still snowing as well. There wasn't any when I went to bed last night so it was a real surprise. What a difference to yesterday I was out in the sun taking pictures so I took a few this morning for contrast from the window!! The poor hens are huddled up in the gazebo looking well fed up. I made them a hot mash to cheer them up a little.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2010 9:27pm (Feb 21st 2010)

not sure if I ever posted any pictures of the garden in the snow...
      hencam1.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2010 9:32pm (Feb 21st 2010)

this is the magnolia tree which i dearly love and B our clack cat is buried under
      hencam5.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2010 9:33pm (Feb 21st 2010)

this is part of Rosies garden,the old rose walk....
      hencam4.jpg
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 6:23am (Feb 22nd 2010)

oh my goodness just beautiful Tracy, perfection!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 4:37pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

Beautiful pictures Tracy. I love magnolia's as well Can you do me a picture when it comes into bloom please.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2010 11:12pm (Feb 22nd 2010)

Fabulous garden - you must love being able to see it every day.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:24pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

A bright day today but the wind was bitter, I met up with three friends for a spot of lunch. It was nice to get out with friends for a change. One of them had to pop in the pet shop, they had a beautiful guinea pig, a huge hamster and some budgies for sale. I was good and didn't buy any !!!! It started to snow just as I got home. I got the hens a treat of some dried meal worms. They took them from my hand but didnt fancy them from the ground. I threw a few in the pond and they were gobbled up in seconds by the carp.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 7:45pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Ha NN My girls will kill for dried meal worms they will jump all over me for them i buy so many now my local pet shop will do me a good deal on them now because they are not the cheapest things to buy.............But ha they are worth it :thumbup:
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 8:08pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

Mine just adore grated cheese you should hear the appreciative noises they make if I give them some. They stamp all over my feet so I can not get off the step if they think I have some, then I have Sootz shoving his way through the door it is a right kerfuffle and I bet it looks hilarious to any one watching.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2010 8:44pm (Feb 23rd 2010)

I look at a pot of dried mealworms the other day it was about £11, as I give the girls lots of other stuff and they have never had them I figured they wouldn't miss them - but I feel likea bad mom now - might have to go get some.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 4:01pm (Feb 24th 2010)

I sat at a customer's kitchen table yesterday to have a cuppa, and as I ate my biscuit was suddenly aware of being watched. The hamster (whose cage was on the table) had got up and was peering at me, more or less demanding a bit of biscuit. I gave in...
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 6:05pm (Feb 24th 2010)

I have tried to give dried mealworms to the robin and wren that are in my garden. They just don't seem interested, none of the other birds are either.
    Choosey criters oop North. I thought they would be a treat!
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 7:18pm (Feb 24th 2010)

Have a look in Wilkinsons Tracy it is two tubs for £4. But as you say they havent had them so they wont miss them. I wished I had kept the money in my pocket as they were so uninterested in them.
    Now today I took the tub outside and they were pushing and shoving each other to get nearest to me for the first beak full.

I did put some on the bird table Ollie and they were still there this afternoon, they must be an aquired taste.

It is that pleading look that animals cultivate CC you just can not resist giving them a taster, and they know it.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2010 8:59pm (Feb 24th 2010)

I think wild birds prefer something with a bit of a wiggle!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 2:50pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Yes Kate I am sure you are right. They soon adapt to different foods though.

My girls were tapping on the back door for their meal worms this lunch time....... what have I started!!!!! Which reminds me I must go and clean the step they have covered it in poop so were probably there for a while before I heard them
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 6:15pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Well Nn my girls are disgusted with me they have been confined to there run for the last 2 days i let them out when i get in from work which can be anytime between 3pm and 5pm the weather in Sussex is horrific at the moment trying to work in it is a nightmare i have never seen so much Rain:weather_rain: :rant:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:14pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I know waht you mean Leevaux. just becasue its got a bit lighter inthe mornings now I think my girls expect me to get up at 6:30 and let them out. I'm going to try going in they gym before work next week so should be able to let htme out a bit earlier that the 8:15 they get at the moment. Having siad that when is all nice and warm and comfy under the douvet its really hard to get out from under it isn't it.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:16pm (Feb 25th 2010)

At least all our snow is gone now. still really soggy underfoot. I was naughty the other day and put the girls treats in a snowy patch of grass, it was really interestign to watch the girls that don't mind the snow at all or a re just plain greedy, the girls that didn't really like it and the two that didn't dare put a foot on it as they didn't know waht it was. I felt guilty in the end with the two of them walking along the edge of the snow looking at the treat bowls so gave in and moved som eof it back to where they were.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:19pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I am lucky that Grandad North lets them out now the mornings are lighter. But as Tracy says they do expect you to get up real early and mine grumble and create if I am a tad late doing it on his day off. I always say they need a lay in when the weather is rough it is my excuse really.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:21pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I have to admit TracyB I have an automatic door on there coop so i can set it to what time i want them out.At the moment they come out at 7.15am And when i get up i go and see them every morning before i go to work and we have a little chat!!!!!!!!!!! when i am talking to them i always wonder if my neighbor is out in the garden thinking........... He is talking to a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its no different to a cat or dog is it. :smile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:22pm (Feb 25th 2010)

you can see the alien cobwebs again tonight Ollie
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:24pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I have some lovely hats with my girls, I wa chattgn away to them the other day and didn't notice that one of the guys that come to do odd jobs for one of hte neighbours was stood with his cup of tea watching me. To be fair to him he said he's come to talk to them but didn't want to interupt my conversation.... :-)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:24pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I can't let mine out before 7am (and 8am weekends) because of Onion's crowing! The neighbours (and Eric) would kill me...
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 7:31pm (Feb 25th 2010)

CC I take it onion is a boy!!!!!!:reddevil:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:32pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I always chat to my girls, My neighbour laughs at me and says
    "you chattin to them ens agin, thee spoil em tis a wunder they aint full to busting"
    It isn't spelling mistakes thats how he talks ha ha.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:39pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Do you no the best thing they do is when you are talking to them they shake there heads from side to side and talk back to you !!!!!!!!!! its so great and then the y tilt there heads to one side and look straight at you!!!!! :ha::ha::ha:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:43pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Oh yes they love telling you things back they like a bit of gossip and dont spread it around the neighbours like cats do. The Dutch have this superstition that cats spread gossip !!!! Honest I am not joking I really had a good laugh when my friend Johan told me.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:48pm (Feb 25th 2010)

I think that is true NN Cats are a bit devious and know how to get what they want.
    I t has always amazed me how loving a cat can be then when it is out of your site it turns into the Devil!!!!!!:diablo:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:55pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Ha ha they sure know how to get your attention and have this knack of getting the comfiest and warmest seats in the house.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:57pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Oh well time for crime watch night night :wink:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 8:59pm (Feb 25th 2010)

Nighty night sleep tight catch you tomorrow xx
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2010 10:11pm (Feb 25th 2010)

There's nothing wrong with talking to your hens - I talk to my rats and they look at me like I'm a nutter! They never chat back to me. :(
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 7:45pm (Feb 26th 2010)

Yes Lee, Onion is a boy. He'll be about four this year...I don't know what the lifespan of a bantam is, but he seems fot enough, bless 'im.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:00am (Feb 28th 2010)

So CC do you mean that Onion doesn't start crowing until you let him out? or do you keep them in a sound proof coop, I thought he would just start up at daybreak whatever time that happened to be?:hyper_chick::hyper_chick::hyper_chick:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:35pm (Feb 28th 2010)

He starts whenever he decides daybreak OUGHT to be. But there's 2 layers of sound deadening over their ark so it isn't very loud.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 6:46pm (Feb 28th 2010)

I bet it is deafening to the hens though CC. How is little beak comming on she must be as big as her Mum now. You will have totake a picture for us. I dont mind posting it for you if you don't want to trouble Neil.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 7:33pm (Feb 28th 2010)

She is two thirds the size of Livia. But still shrieks like a Victorian virgin if I go near her...I should've handled her every day really.Never mind!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 8:38pm (Feb 28th 2010)

Ha ha I love your description of her shrieks, it is always easy with afterthought to know what we should have done. She may get better as she gets older at least no stranger will be able to kidnap her.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2010 11:51pm (Feb 28th 2010)

ha ha a Victorian virgin, thats a new one to me CC.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 6:55pm (Mar 1st 2010)

What a lovely day it has been today. I got all the washing nicely dried on the line so that is real satisfying. Sootz, Kimmi and Daisy all had a real good airing as well. My few remaining crocus were open and shining in the sun. He hens had a rare old time basking and dust bathing in the sun. Realy cheered me up. I took this picture of kimmi for you all.
      kimmi.jpg
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:12pm (Mar 1st 2010)

kimmi is A lovely cat NN look at those eyes!!!!!!!!!!!
    It has been a fantastic day here today as well real spring like :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:14pm (Mar 1st 2010)

I was back at work after a week off and felt completely dizzy looking at everything I had to catch up on. It was nice to drive to work and home again in daylight though.

Kimmi is gorgeous!
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 7:25pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Thank you he is a sweet heart, he suffers with a sensitive tummy poor lad, so has fits and starts of activity all depending on how he feels. He isn't as demanding as Sootz who just has to be in the thick of every thing if we want him to help or not.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 8:58pm (Mar 1st 2010)

The girls seemed to be really pleased with their day in the dry and sunny weather today lots of shouting and running up and down today.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2010 9:04pm (Mar 1st 2010)

Mine have been rootling up my snowdrop bulbs - little s*ds!
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 1:05pm (Mar 2nd 2010)

I havent had one this year CC, my girls rootled them all up as well.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 6:52pm (Mar 2nd 2010)

I'd like some suggestions as to what I can put in with the girls to make thier day a bit more interesting - it will have to be tasteful obviously or I'll never get it passed Gary
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2010 7:12pm (Mar 2nd 2010) edited

Mine love to get up on things particularly my garden bench, or how about a bit of a rockery, no good putting plants on it as they would eat them but you could make shallow watering holes between the rocks with either plastic or concealed plastic tubs or such.... I got a similar sort of thing in my garden but it has sunk down a bit with age now. I also put those solar powered garden lights to reflect off the water at night. The wild birds like to drink from it as well as the hens.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 2:52pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

At Christmas, I booked up my last few days of leave and happened to choose last Monday and Tuesday. What a result! The first two brilliantly hot and sunny days of the year. Even managed to hang the laundry outside and it dried, rather than freezing stiff!

Had two good days sorting out the front and back garden and chickens have enjoyed the dismantling of the compost mound.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 2:53pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

NN - is Sootz a Birman? He is a stunner!
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 3:15pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

I bet your girls enjoyed rootling round inthe compost heap, Volka. Let us know how their new palace progresses, won't you?
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2010 7:28pm (Mar 3rd 2010)

That is Kimmi Volka, he is a mitted blue point rag doll. Sootz is my big Maine coon. Kimmi is a pretty cat and most people say oh isn't she lovely but still dont cotton on when I say he is a boy cos he is so pretty with his big blue eyes.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 8:33pm (Mar 4th 2010)

It has been a nice day here today although the wind was a bit keen. Nice for drying the laundry though. I got the hens cleaned out and dug them a new patch to scrat about in. They have started to lay more now. I got six eggs even though two of them are still having a bit of a moult.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 8:38pm (Mar 4th 2010)

Plenty of sun here today so all the solar lights are twinkling and cycling their colours gloriously.
    Got three big "Tulips" the other day, they glow beautifully.
    The garden is very happy...
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2010 9:01pm (Mar 4th 2010)

How nice Ollie, I bet those tulips are lovely to see. I have some solar lights but there is a lamp post three yards away from the corner of my garden so it does rather spoil the effect of mine.
    • CommentTimeMar 16th, 2010 4:32pm (Mar 16th 2010)

We have been having some beautiful sunny days. I started to get a bit of veg garden dug over at the weekend and mulched the rhubarb and raspberry canes from one of the composters. The hens have had a terrific time de-mulching them, I got to get a fence round the veg garden this year. I only managed runner beans, courgettes and potaotes last year.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2010 9:15pm (Mar 25th 2010)

Wow Sun was shineing, so i went out to the doctors with the boys. Came out doctors,
    Nearly 3 hours later to rain.. make your mind up mr weather man!!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 7:21pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Ah, but I saw some beautiful rainbows today, including a double rainbow!
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 7:27pm (Mar 26th 2010)

I think i have only seen one of those cc ever!!
      378433798_2a747653e7.jpg
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 8:41pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Is that ur photo Lee?
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 8:54pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Afraid not Sara its off the INTERNET i am not as talented as you with you drawings!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 10:55pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Everyone is good at something. My husband good at fixin cars.my children are gøod at messing my house up.after ive just tidyed it. What job do you do Lee?
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2010 11:12pm (Mar 26th 2010)

Did you notice the colours on the second rainbow are reversed?
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 7:16am (Mar 27th 2010)

Sara I take Dents out of Cars with out painting as long as the paint is not broken it a mobile service.I love working on cars to Sara i don,t care for d.i.y.at all the thought of it makes me feel ill Ha Ha:rollonfloorlaughing:

No Ollie i did not see that on the picture i guess its a reflection.
    • CommentTimeMar 27th, 2010 9:58am (Mar 27th 2010)

Rainbows ARE reflections and the second one is a reflection of the first.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 1:40am (Apr 9th 2010)

Ollie, I saw a huge double rainbow on the way to Whitby on Sunday, it was the brightest one I had ever seen and so beautiful.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2010 10:21am (Apr 9th 2010)

You be careful going to Whitby. You never know what magical stuff can happen there!

I took g'daughter there about three years ago for a few days. Couldn't keep her out of the sea - she was a funny blue colour but didn't care, she just adored it.
    English seas are never warm no matter how hot the weather.
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2010 7:37pm (Apr 11th 2010)

it has been nice again today but the wind has been real keen with a sharp edge to it. I stayed in and did a huge pile of ironing and watched a old film on tv to help it along. I had to turn the heating back on this evening as well.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2010 11:20pm (Apr 11th 2010)

nice but cold..
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2010 7:31pm (May 8th 2010)

blimey its been cold here today more like March!!!!!!!!!!:weather_snowing:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 10th, 2010 8:29am (May 10th 2010)

Saturday was wet enough for me to keep all my guests in the house for the big feed up.

Then we have a nice and bright and sunny Sunday but so very cold.

This morning I have had to scrape the windscreen before I could get going.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:32pm (May 24th 2010)

It has been so hot here the past few days. I have been getting up extra early to get my jobs done as the heat exhausts me. We have a nice breeze today though, so that has been most welcome. I even felt up to doing a roast dinner tonight !!! I am off to water the veg plot now, they do say it might rain tonight.... well I will give it all a head start !!!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 8:47pm (May 24th 2010)

If it rains, I'm sleeping in the garden...:blush::rant_red2::kettle::weather_hot::cry:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2010 9:26pm (May 24th 2010)

Good idea CC, it has cooled down nicely here now though so hopefully it will be easier to get to sleep.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 9:13am (May 25th 2010)

sort of cloudy and misty to-day. I guess the plants in the green-house can do with some respite.
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 9:24am (May 25th 2010)

What a shame. All that lovely sun has dissolved into the grey clouds.
    I do hope it comes back soon, even though I have to keep it off my face due to Rosacea. I have aquired a lot of sun hats!
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2010 10:05pm (May 25th 2010)

A lot cooler here today, it was nice and refreshing after all the heat. I managed to get quite a lot done outside.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 12:00am (May 26th 2010)

Cooler today as well, but think I prefer it to the heat!
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2010 1:53am (May 26th 2010)

Me too!
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2010 2:59pm (May 27th 2010)

It is quite nice here today not to hot. It was good to have some rain yesterday and a shame it didnt rain all night as the garden is starting to look quite dry.
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2010 7:44am (May 28th 2010)

I have ordered good weather for the weekend so let us see if my message got where it was sent !!
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2010 6:41pm (May 28th 2010)

Hate to say it, but I think they forecast rain this weekend...
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 12:01am (May 29th 2010)

I think that means your message DIDN'T get where it was sent then Shobhna!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 8:14am (May 29th 2010)

Hmmm....if it rains, I can work in the greenhouse and catch up in there, if it does nto rain, I can do Mum's fence.
    right now, it is cloudy here but no rain yet.

Kate, my e-mails to God have been known to go astray often enough, I guess they end up in the Spam folder. :blush:
    I think God's Exchange server is not maintained like I maintain mine. :001_cool:
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 10:21am (May 29th 2010)

And did you pick the right God? Or did he go "No Mail"?
    There's lots of 'em you know. And they all have different addresses!

Stop stirring it Ollie... (A committed evolutionist)

:sun:
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 4:55pm (May 29th 2010)

I reckon there's lots of different postboxes but they all go to the same sorting office...:)
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 5:12pm (May 29th 2010)

We've got either rain or heavy rain. Got very wet when I went shopping!
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 6:26pm (May 29th 2010)

Prepared a fence yesterday for treatment but today is too wet. Forecast is OK for tomorrow though. Looking forward to getting it done and the planting in front.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 7:54pm (May 29th 2010) edited

Just what my garden needed a nice drop rain water, every thing looks nice and fresh again. It has stoppped now which was lucky as I had to clean the filter box out on my pond as it was overflowing. It was a mega messy job but the hens loved it as there were all sorts of wriggly bits and bobs in there for them to have a feast on.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th, 2010 8:12pm (May 29th 2010)

Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Grass has had some real rain at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 5:01pm (May 30th 2010)

Lee, your berries are sitting in the postbox until Tuesday morning then they'll be on their way...
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 7:48pm (May 30th 2010)

Oh CC you are a Diamond!!!!! Thank you very much:clap::cheer:
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 8:42pm (May 30th 2010)

The weather request worked for to-day.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th, 2010 10:49pm (May 30th 2010)

It was cold here because of the strong wind - had to dodge branches when walking round town, and there were so many branches and leaves on the floor it looked like autumn!

The forecast for Tuesday is light rain, which is good because we are going to Alton Towers and don't want it to be busy! We arranged to go before we realised it was the school hols :sad:
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 5:13pm (May 31st 2010)

O no...were you up to your knees in trolls, Red?
    • CommentTimeMay 31st, 2010 8:00pm (May 31st 2010)

Ha ha it was very quiet round here today so I should think the Kiddies had gone somewhere...... maybe to Alton Towers !!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 1:21am (Jun 1st 2010)

Not getting to go to Alton Towers because i am poorly :sad:

(sympathy much? ;) )
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 5:48pm (Jun 1st 2010) edited

Poor you! Wossup, kid?
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2010 5:55pm (Jun 1st 2010)

raining - sunny - no, raining - no, sunny - raining again - sunny again - aaarrrggh!