Site Tag Cloud

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2007 8:59pm (Oct 2nd 2007)

Lets get chatting :-) Starting with a big THANK YOU to Neil & digitaldan and whomever else (like the folks at Lussumo) who took a role in getting this forum going. Yahoo!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2007 9:07pm (Oct 2nd 2007)

The girls are sound asleep - touching tails. They look like a yin/yang symbol.
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2007 9:45pm (Oct 2nd 2007) edited

I must remember to move the socket that the webcam is plugged into, it keeps intruding on the picture!

Apparently the hens had creamcake for supper tonight - unfortunately they had finished eating them by the time I got home or I might have had some!

Really the biggest thanks should go to you lot who asked for the forum in the first place (!) and the guys at Exa networks (my web hosts) who gave me the database free so I could install and get this forum working...

Thanks guys!
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2007 9:53pm (Oct 2nd 2007) edited

Oh that is what that is - I thought it was a mic or something. Now I see it as a socket & plug.

Awww. I want a cream cake too. Don't even really know what that is but it sounds GREAT!

Off to work. Hoping all my cohorts have joined the forum by the time I get home :-)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd, 2007 9:53pm (Oct 2nd 2007)

PS. Exa rocks!
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2007 11:09am (Oct 3rd 2007)

Hey Diane...

You seem to have adapted to the forum already - well done, I'm still wandering around trying to figure everything out!!!

The chickens had another bit of cake this morning, too, although this one was cheese cake...they didn't eat it all, though :-/

Red
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd, 2007 5:47pm (Oct 3rd 2007)

Mmmmm. Cheese cake. I'd totally go for that - if there is any left. Holly (my dog) nods in agreement.

I can see the girls bustling around in the feeding area. So nice.
    • CommentTimeOct 4th, 2007 2:20pm (Oct 4th 2007)

I ended up having to mix the cake all together, otherwise the girls wouldn't eat it - no idea why!

If you want mushed up cheese cake, though, i can certainly give you some :P
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 4th, 2007 7:11pm (Oct 4th 2007)

I'm totally up for it - as long as there is sugar and cheese mixed together with some pie crust, I'm there!
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2007 4:28pm (Oct 5th 2007) edited

:-D

Today the chicken had raisins and veggie sausages for breakfast - what are your views on that?? :P
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2007 5:54pm (Oct 5th 2007) edited

These chucks have a better diet than I do !
    Glad the sausages were not meat. That would have been rather unnatural.
    Though come to think about it, they do have a high insect intake, so meat wouldn't be strange at all.
    I stand corrected.
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2007 8:26pm (Oct 5th 2007)

I have realised that I have been dashing from one discussion to the next and not getting any continuity. So will stay on this one and wait for others to come to me.
    Anyone else out there ?

Have the hens stopped laying now? The counter is stuck at 212.
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2007 8:52pm (Oct 5th 2007)

I am missing the early morning folks (to us) that are just going to bed !
    Are they confused as to where to post?

Should there be a sort of 'Main posting Area' or is that not the proper style ?
    • CommentTimeOct 5th, 2007 11:02pm (Oct 5th 2007)

Hey ollie,

I was thinking of possibly changing the 'categories' up at the top to 'main page'...? What do you think?

The 'discussions' tab takes you to the most recently posted in topics, whereas the 'categories' tab takes you to all the different pages there are on the forum...
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 5:18pm (Oct 6th 2007)

I like the new forum .
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 5:22pm (Oct 6th 2007)

I fully agree with a "Main Page" section as the first item.
    Folks can wander off into other pages as they feel the need.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 8:08pm (Oct 6th 2007)

Seems as if everyone else has gone off for Saturday night jollies.
    Never mind, I can hen-sit here with my glass of sherry and I don't believe in a piddly little sherry glass.
    A stonking big sherry is more my style.
    Hope I don't become incapable of the hen-sit assignment.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th, 2007 8:20pm (Oct 6th 2007)

Neil, may I change my name to 'Ollie in UK' please?
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2007 6:47pm (Oct 7th 2007)

I'm getting used to talking to myself.......

COOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you all ????????????

I am abandoned..........

Ollie in UK
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2007 6:49pm (Oct 7th 2007) edited

HI OLLIE !! I'm here :D I know what you mean tho. Oh! Just heard a squack from the upper coop. Good to hear.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2007 8:13pm (Oct 7th 2007) edited

Just dropped by to see if anyone had appeared and there you were !
    It does seem as if it just you and me now. Wonder where they all went.
    How can we get others to join or rejoin us?

I was looking over a site last night that hadn't had anyone on for two YEARS. Trust we wont get to that.

Chicks were having their usual scratching around earlier and seemed in fine fettle.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2007 9:28pm (Oct 7th 2007) edited

I found it hard to load the forum initially (had to refresh a number of times.) Once I did, the chat - which was still being used - disappeared. Do you think the rest of the gang is still just using the chat? I know Gloria has registered on here tho. So I would assume she can no longer use the chat either. And yet she's not here in the forum. Maybe she went out of town again. Vicki, Kate, and Janice have come to the forum so that's cool. And Neil and Red are here more than I ever got to chat with them! Also, you couldn't "lurk" with the chat and you can with the forum so maybe other folks are wanting to read and not write for now. :)

Dan, dan, Pinkle, Luke, GW, and everyone else - are you there? :D

Ollie - the other thing is...whenever there is a change; I don't like it at first. And something like a forum is a big change. Takes awhile to see its value. I know when the look of the website was 1st upgraded I didn't like it, but I knew I don't like changes when they first happen, so I just waited. Sure enough, I soon loved it! Do you think that might be happening with the forum?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 7th, 2007 9:29pm (Oct 7th 2007)

PS. I'm really glad you are in the forum, Ollie. :D
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2007 7:15am (Oct 8th 2007)

Hi guys,

I'll try and push the forum a bit over the next few weeks...

Sorry I've been quiet for the weekend I was "babysitting" for my 2 nephews whilst their parents were away - Helen couldn't sleep over as she is allergic to their dog!

Good to be back though :)
    • CommentTimeOct 8th, 2007 7:22am (Oct 8th 2007)

Ollie, I think the name next to your post is the username of the poster, so you'd have to change your login name, but I don't think you are allowed spaces in your login ID!

I could see if I can get it to show "real" names (ie: the first and last name you entered in your profile when you signed up, it can be changed when you edit your profile settings), if people think it's worth doing?
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 10:05am (Oct 9th 2007)

Hi Ollie,

Just a reply to your post about only watching one thread...

I think that's a mistake as you'll miss out on the new conversations that others start, and if the thread you are watching doesn't get any new posts, you'll get bored and leave which we don't want!

I would just keep an eye on the main page (the one that lists all the new conversation topics), then look for ones that are highlighted in a darker yellow (as these have changed since you last looked at them), that way you can keep tabs on new posts.

You can always read the whole thread of a conversation so you can follow what's been said by who, then add your own thoughts if you like.

Hope this helps!

Neil
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 6:09pm (Oct 9th 2007)

Its the tab the says "Discussions" that is the main page, is that right?
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 6:41pm (Oct 9th 2007)

Yes thanks, I understand this now I have browsed around.
    These differences just take getting used to and us old'uns are flumaxed as it is trying not to get left behind.
    Well, not too far behind....
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 6:44pm (Oct 9th 2007)

Ooh, now we are in the ladies' bedroom.
    Nice ride on the cam Neil, thanks.
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 9:24pm (Oct 9th 2007)

Aww I wish there was a way of telling who is watching, I could have said hello to you in person Ollie :)
    • CommentTimeOct 9th, 2007 10:41pm (Oct 9th 2007)

There was a facility on the old system that did this. You, or someone else, did mention it on here too a while back.
    I'm sure some poot' lit' person could guide us.

I don't usually hang about for long at each visit anyway.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2007 11:25pm (Oct 12th 2007)

Well, I had thought this would be the most used part of the forum but I wuz wrong !

Having a good browse round the whole site I find Dianne most active. In fact she seems to be supporting the site more or less on her own.

WHERE IS EVERYONE ????
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 12th, 2007 11:47pm (Oct 12th 2007)

Happily - more n more folks all the time :P

It seems like I always just miss being on when you are here Ollie! (19 minutes difference this time.)
    • CommentAuthorISM
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2007 12:56am (Oct 20th 2007)

is there any way you can go 'back' using this forum? i always had trouble using the chat room before (slow internet) but now im just getting myself lost going round and round in circles... spose i should be happy that i can at least go round and round in circles??? participating in some strange way at least??
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2007 1:17am (Oct 20th 2007)

Hi ISM! Not sure what you mean by "go back"... I know I got lost here at first. Takes some getting used to. I find that I usually just leave the "Discussions" menu (up top) as my main menu - it updates each time I come on with a slightly yellower highlight for the most recent postings. I've rarely used the "Categories" directory. Does that help at all?
    • CommentAuthorISM
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2007 6:00am (Oct 20th 2007)

Oh i get ya! i was meaning like the going back a page option when you browse the internet but no... i see that if i click on discussions again it does in fact take me back to the list of discussions... go figure! ;)
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2007 3:09pm (Oct 20th 2007)

I have a grey text that says "back to discussions" below the "Add your comments" button that I go "back" by, but I checked out the site at work yesterday and it wasn't there so I don't know if its different settings or operator systems?
    • CommentTimeOct 20th, 2007 5:39pm (Oct 20th 2007) edited

I think that's just a glitch. Sometimes the text at the bottom disappears. I have always solved it by grabbing the bottom of the box with my cursor and 'shaking' it up & down. :)

ISM, I think you are right tho - a back arrow key would be a nice feature. I wonder if that is possible? (Neil is asking for what features people would like to see here.)
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2007 3:02pm (Oct 22nd 2007)

Solved it - I hadn't logged in at work so obviously couldn't add a comment. All the discussion topics stay yellow though so I don't know which I've read! Perhaps I shouldn't use work time to watch Hencam!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2007 4:47pm (Oct 22nd 2007)

Ah, but would it be a good day at work withouth The Girls? :) Plus, as you are in the UK, I'd think it would almost equate to a point of national honor - watching hencam while you work.
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd, 2007 7:19pm (Oct 22nd 2007)

That's a very valid point! Actually my boss (who left 2 weeks ago :( ) had 3 pullets (is that right? Little chickens?) so he just used to tut and roll his eyes(and have a look over my shoulder!) whenever I checked in during the day. This time of the evening its sleep or no sign so I think I'm justified in watching the girls. Funny how distracting 3 hens can be though!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2007 6:34am (Oct 23rd 2007)

Do you work evenings?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2007 6:35am (Oct 23rd 2007)

Oh wait, I think I get it - if you wait to look at the chickens until you get home you just see sleeping chickens. Yup, plenty of good reasons to pay some visits during work time.
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd, 2007 4:09pm (Oct 23rd 2007)

That's exactly it!! I don't do any PAID employment in an evening, just the usual housewife/mother work!