Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 1:44pm (Jan 14th 2009) edited

Well, just before i came to uni (the very morning i left in fact) we noticed that James' eyes had turned a lovely cloudy blue colour, a sure sign he could be shedding anything up to a week later...

According to my dad, last night he took his meal with no problem (lots of corn snakes refuse to eat whilst shedding) which is good news...and this morning, my dad found his shed skin somewhere in his vivarium!!

He sent me a photo to post on hencam, too, so here is is:

(click for full image)

And here is a photo of James:
    lil james
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 2:24pm (Jan 14th 2009)

That is fantastic, specially the 'full image'

I didn't know the skin was called a 'shed' I thought the title meant he had his own wooden shed!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 2:45pm (Jan 14th 2009)

It looks fantastic doesn't it?? I just hope it was a successful shed and the scales over his eyes have come off - sometimes snakes' struggle to get their eye caps (the scale over their eyes) to come off and they stick which can cause problems...hopefully this hasn't happened with James!

My dad can't check / handle him yet though because he was only fed last night, and snakes need to be left for 48 hours after eating before being handled.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 2:50pm (Jan 14th 2009)

Great pic of the shed...reminds me of the old days.

I had a friend who had a number of snakes (corn,garter), and an Iguana, and various other creatures.

I of course had Stubbs and a little baby Garter that was about 3 inches long, but he died (cats I think). I might still have him in a pill-box in my mom's freezer!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:14pm (Jan 14th 2009) edited

Posted By: Jonny

I had a little baby Garter that was about 3 inches long, but he died (cats I think). I might still have him in a pill-box in my mom's freezer!

Remind me never to go to Jonny's mum's for dinner...:_puke:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:17pm (Jan 14th 2009)

Hee-hee...you wouldn't believe what she let me (and my friends) keep in the freezer!

There might still be the odd Pileated Woodpecker one of our cats caught and brought into the house!
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:21pm (Jan 14th 2009)

Oooo, my word....:shocked:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:22pm (Jan 14th 2009)

Of course that's in the deep-freezer..in the basement..not the freezer above the fridge upstairs.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:25pm (Jan 14th 2009)

O, of course...:\
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:31pm (Jan 14th 2009)

Hee-hee! To tell you the truth, I probably would eat anything out of there that goes deep that say six to 8 inches. Deeper than that and you are getting into archeological dig territory. Although she has cleaned out a lot of it (finally) when the power went out a few years ago.. :)
    • CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 5:42pm (Jan 14th 2009)

There might be a woolly mammoth at the bottom...:shocked:
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 7:13pm (Jan 15th 2009) edited

Panic over, I found his eyecaps in the tank snagged on his cork hide:

Some more pics:

• CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 8:00pm (Jan 15th 2009) edited

Aw my little baby boy :heartsabove:

His eye cap is freaky looking! Glad you found it though...can't believe he poo'ed on my bed >_<
    They're really sharp pics, do you have any full body ones? :)
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 8:02pm (Jan 15th 2009)

What breed of snake is he?
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 8:06pm (Jan 15th 2009) edited

Corn snake, and his morph is a hypo okeetee (his morph is which colour he will grow up to be)...he's gonna be bright orange with darker orange bordered with black :cool:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 8:08pm (Jan 15th 2009)

Thanks Red. ;)
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 8:48pm (Jan 15th 2009)

Posted By: RedCorn snake, and his morph is a hypo okeetee (

You're just making it up...or is this more verbiage from that weird book you were reading? :)
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 9:00pm (Jan 15th 2009) edited

Nonono! This actually is a real morph (there are MUCH more oddly named ones!) look!
    • CommentAuthormustangsally
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 9:33am (Jan 19th 2009)

:cry: Oh my god, I looked on here thinking I was going to see a discussion on somebody's garden shed and came face to face with my worst nightmare, I won't be able to sleep tonight for thinking there are snakes in my bed - blame my cousins they snuck up on me when I was about 10 and put their corn snake in my hair! Freaked me out for life
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 2:42pm (Jan 19th 2009)

Awwwww but James is cuuute! :heartsabove:
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 4:29pm (Jan 19th 2009)

but a discussion on somebody's garden shed would be interesting....
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 4:42pm (Jan 19th 2009)

Oh yeah, we have some really scary stuff in ours... :o
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 4:46pm (Jan 19th 2009)

Yeah! I watched when you cleaned it out last Spring..
    Dreading a repeat this year.
    • CommentTimeJan 19th, 2009 4:48pm (Jan 19th 2009)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 2:51pm (Jan 20th 2009)

still has 2 coffins in it.... amongst other things
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 5:06pm (Jan 20th 2009)

:shocked: Why???
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 5:46pm (Jan 20th 2009) edited

Isn't it the halloween decorations?!
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 6:07pm (Jan 20th 2009)

I do hope so...:shocked:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 6:24pm (Jan 20th 2009)

Me too!
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2009 9:26am (Jan 21st 2009)

Well you never know when one will come in... :)
    • CommentTimeJan 21st, 2009 1:57pm (Jan 21st 2009)

Yes you do...!
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 11:07am (Jan 22nd 2009)

Now that would cause some raised eyebrows with the neighbours!

"why are you digging a huge trench in your garden - hang on, what's that?!"
    • CommentAuthormustangsally
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 11:53am (Jan 22nd 2009)

See - sheds are much more interesting than snakes!
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 4:59pm (Jan 22nd 2009)

I told you all :)
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 5:34pm (Jan 22nd 2009)

No they're not, snakes are way better!!

The hognosed snake ( :heartsabove: ), grass snake and the spitting cobra can feign death by flipping on to their backs when threatened. They open their mouths, allow their tongues to loll and can empty a foul smelling substance from their anal glands, making them highly unappetizing to any potential predator.

And another interesting fact, snakes can have over 300 pairs of ribs!!
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 8:10pm (Jan 22nd 2009)

Posted By: Red ...feign death by flipping on to their backs when threatened. They open their mouths, allow their tongues to loll and can empty a foul smelling substance from their anal glands, making them highly unappetizing

My friend went out with a bloke like that once...:(
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd, 2009 10:24pm (Jan 22nd 2009)

Hee-hee ... CC you've got one for every opportunity!
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2009 10:14am (Jan 23rd 2009)

This was James a few days ago after eating a huge meal:

We had him out last night and he's digested it all - no lump anymore - hurrah! (we were worried he was going to regurgitate if he couldn't digest the food quick enough, which can be really stressful for a snake's well-being).

He also hid for 10 minutes up my sleeve (tickly, and hard to get out!), and also hid in my work trousers (which I wasn't wearing at the time thankfully) - I'll leave it to you to come up with the 'trouser snake' jokes... :)
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2009 10:23am (Jan 23rd 2009)

What does James eat? Is he vegetarian? I have a friend whose dog is a veggie. Vicious he is too. I'm sure he fancies a piece of my leg for his tea,
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2009 11:40am (Jan 23rd 2009)

No such thing as a veggie snake... Other than egg-eating ones, but they're quite rare and they won't eat 'normal' eggs I think, so are even harder to look after than the other type.

Quite funny really as the only meat we have in our house is some ham left over from Trev's visit (which is probably green by now - oops!), and some baby mice in the freezer... ;)

Apparently the mice are humanely dispatched but I do feel sorry for the poor little guys.

I bet that dog's farts stink :surprised:
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2009 2:46pm (Jan 23rd 2009)

I'm so glad the bulge has gone, i was quite worried about that!
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd, 2009 11:42pm (Jan 23rd 2009)

I read that as baby mince at first - I thought CC had been influencing you again!

Better frozen than live. American pet shops sell live mice and rats as feeders.
    • CommentTimeJan 24th, 2009 12:13am (Jan 24th 2009)

Is it along the same lines as freezing lobsters for half an hour before dropping them in the pan so they don't suffer?
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2009 12:02am (Jan 25th 2009)

Do they do that?! I bet they do still suffer - they're still alive after all.

• CommentTimeJan 25th, 2009 12:55pm (Jan 25th 2009)

I have heard of bunnie babies being bought from domestic pet bunny owners by snake owners as live feed!!!
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2009 7:23pm (Jan 25th 2009)

:_puke:UGH!:ack2::beurk:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2009 10:35pm (Jan 25th 2009)

I'm with CC!!
    :iagree::_puke:
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2009 9:47am (Jan 26th 2009)

It's true, some idiots do "enjoy" watching one animal kill another (I suppose like dog-fighting, bear-baiting, badger-baiting, fox-hunting etc), and some do feed their snakes live rabbits.

They are the ones with huge reticulated pythons that grow to 16+ foot and need large meals every week or so. Pretty much all snakes can feed successfully on thawed pre-killed items though.

James will feed on mice for his whole life (which could be 20 years), they're not frozen to 'stun' them, they've already been humanely despatched (well, as humanely as you get).

The baby mice have an 'anti smother' instinct (as they feed underneath the mother and would smother otherwise), so they are flash-frozen (after a few seconds they lose consciousness without a source of heat, so this is a very quick and painless method).

The older/adults are given co2 - I believe it makes them first lose consciousness and they never recover.

All quite horrible, but as you say, no alternative...

And like you say, in some countries (Germany is one) you can't buy frozen items so live feeding is the norm.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2009 10:34am (Jan 26th 2009)

I'll keep to my stick insects thank you.
    One died this week. Left it for a day as one did that last week and recovered.. It may even have been the same one, can't tell.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2009 11:25am (Jan 26th 2009)

We used to keep stick insects many years ago...

All started from a single egg that hatched (got it from a friend at work, she said she had hundreds)...

Quickly they grew, and they're actually not bad pets although going and 'borrowing' privet hedge for them is a bit of a pain... as is making sure they can't fall in the water and drown (they are not the brightest sparks in the picnic, bless them ;) yes I am aware of what I did there!)

I killed one once by accident as it wandered over to the lid when I was putting new privet in, put the lid back and crunch... :(

I did like the bigger adults as they are fascinating waving about on your hand (attempting to look like leaves blowing in the wind... indoors... with no breeze - told you they weren't the brightest didn't I!)

We gave ours to the local pet shop eventually, so I like to think we helped spread the humble stick insect as a pet a little bit!

James the snake actually makes a pretty good pet - it's interesting finding out about their habitat and requirements, then making sure they are met (temperature, thermal gradient, humidity, hides, shedding, etc etc), and there's something amazingly cool about having a snake slither around your hands and fingers.

He doesn't need lots of fuss or cleaning out (just spot cleaning and a full clean every 6 weeks or so), only eats once a week, doesn't poo much (although they are quite runny at first until it dries!), and get used to you handling them quickly (although don't really become tame as such)...
    • CommentTimeJan 26th, 2009 10:36pm (Jan 26th 2009)

I heard a thing on the radio about a woman who adored her snake and allowed it free roam of the bedroom (can't remember what sort it was). It used to sleep on the bed with her. She had phoned in to one of those chat shows and was telling them how it had taken to lying stretched out instead of curled up. Apparently a vet called in and said stop letting it sleep on the bed - it wasn't stretching out because it was relaxed, it was sizing her up as its next meal. Once it was longer than her it would try to eat her!
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2009 9:44am (Jan 27th 2009) edited

Lol! :D

That's a huuuuge urban myth, it's one of those things that drives "proper" herp people (reptile keepers) mad as it puts the 'hobby' in a bad light.

It's certainly not true though...

I think it's quite funny :) (and can you imagine that their prey in the wild wouldn't take too kindly to a snake lying next to them to 'gauge' if it could eat them or not before attacking...! - it just doesn't make sense!)

However people have been killed by their pet pythons, but then if you have a 14 foot long animal made mostly of muscle that can exert the same pressure as a large car on your chest you should really treat it with the respect it deserves. (such as never handling it alone, paying attention to it's body language etc etc)
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2009 8:42pm (Jan 27th 2009) edited

Posted By: KatebI wonder if its hard for a veggie to feed mice to a snake? I suspect not - there isn't an alternative for a snake, whereas there is for humans. Am I right? I assume you wouldn't EVER feed a live mouse to your snake?

Nope, would NEVER feed any live animal to James... :yack2:

I just think of it as the same as feeding a dog/cat food to a pet - it's exactly the same apart from the pinkies haven't been mushed up with other stuff, unlike the 'meat' in the other pet food! :P

If a pet needs meat, then it's up to their carer to provide it for them as best they can. The girls get worms and woodlice, James gets his pinkies!
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2009 8:43pm (Jan 27th 2009)

Kate, i read that myth the other day on the website my dad's put up :D
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2009 11:20pm (Jan 27th 2009)

I usually check those things out - this one caught me! Thanks - is a great theory though!!! LOL!!
    • CommentTimeJan 28th, 2009 7:30am (Jan 28th 2009)

Well, they're written to be plausible :)

I don't know if it's just because I'm an old sod now but I google half the stuff I hear to make sure it's true!

the snopes.com website is a very good way to waste a boring afternoon too... :)
    • CommentTimeJan 28th, 2009 8:39pm (Jan 28th 2009)

Just discovered this thread, what a truly amazing read, thanks everyone for all that interesting (and humorous) information. I learnt some new things today which is always great.

I too thought this thread was originally about someone's shed, what a funny thought, but then I also thought James was a person until Red posted some lovely pics of him.
    • CommentTimeJan 28th, 2009 9:16pm (Jan 28th 2009) edited

Julie. On this site we don't particularly stick to the thread's title - in fact one thread seems a challenge to certain subscribers to spread all around... Ughhh, watch your step it can get slippy!
    Wooops....
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2009 12:00am (Jan 29th 2009)

I use snopes.com too Neil. One of my friends once had a go at me because she circulated an e-mail that was obviously fake info so I found it on snopes and forwarded it to all the people she'd sent the original to. (I knew about half of them). She said I'd made her look stupid. I said she was stupid sending it to everyone when it was telling them to delete things from their systems which they needed. She doesn't send them to me anymore!
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2009 9:26am (Jan 29th 2009)

:) You did the right thing though!

The email ones annoy me the worst "if you send this email to 10 people Bill Gates will send you $200", or "Sainsbury's are tracking emails so they will send you a voucher if you send this to all your friends and family" - argh! They waste bandwidth and our time!
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2009 4:10pm (Jan 29th 2009)

My customer lost a snake, looked everywhere then gave up. She moved house, and got a telehone call asking if she had lost a snake. 'Yes, but how did you know?'
    'Because we live in your old flat, and your snake is wrapped around our computer modem...'
    :shocked:
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2009 5:21pm (Jan 29th 2009)

Snakes actually love the inside of computers...maybe because of the heat? Seriously, so many lost snakes are found hidden in or around the back of computers!!
    • CommentTimeJan 29th, 2009 9:01pm (Jan 29th 2009)

I remember the first one of those I got Neil. It said if I sent it to 10 people I'd be sent 10 bottles of champagne. WHY would anyone believe that to be true?!

The latest thing seems to be doctoring discount vouchers. I had one for GAP that was 30% off everything, then my friend sent me one exactly the same for 70% off! In the end she phoned their head office and found it was a fake. Mine was the genuine one.
    • CommentTimeJan 30th, 2009 11:41pm (Jan 30th 2009)

this one's real - it's 50% off your food bill at pizza hut when you eat in - only catch is you need to use it before the end of Jan so that might sort you out for tea tomorrow :)
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeJan 31st, 2009 1:33pm (Jan 31st 2009) edited

there's lots more stuff like that at myvouchercodes, I just stumbled across it.
    And hotukdeals.com
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 5:46pm (Feb 9th 2009)

Hey dad, how's Shoelace doing? Has he sorted himself out yet or did you have to intervene? :-\
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th, 2009 1:20pm (Feb 11th 2009)

He was in his humidity box the other morning, bless him (little tupperware box with damp sphagnum moss in - helps them wet their skin to aid shedding).

Last night he only had a cm of left skin on his tail so I helped him with it so he's all shiny and new again :)

Been just over 2 weeks I think since his last shed, so he must be growing (yay!)
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2009 2:02am (Feb 12th 2009)

PICSSSSSSSSSS!
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2009 8:21am (Feb 12th 2009)

:iagree: WE WANT PICS!!!!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2009 9:15am (Feb 12th 2009)

It's really difficult because you can't hold him in one hand and take pics with the other!

Next time he's out I'll get Helen to hold him whilst I photograph :)

It won't be for a couple of days though as he ate quite a large meal last night!
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2009 2:13pm (Feb 12th 2009)

Boo! Was he a good boy - he didn't actually eat both did he?! :P
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th, 2009 4:59pm (Feb 12th 2009)

I only gave him one - it was about 1.5 x wider than him though!
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2009 11:01pm (Feb 20th 2009) edited

Tonight's pics of James.

He's still a little shoelace, but he's cute with it!

He's quite inquisitive...

Thirsty!

Forked tongue!
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2009 11:09pm (Feb 20th 2009)

What a lovely, licle, idgy-widgy forked tongue!

That is so delightful....
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th, 2009 11:12pm (Feb 20th 2009)

How big will he grow?
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2009 4:27am (Feb 21st 2009) edited

Aw man, i wish he was here :(

Seriously though what a sweetheart! Can't wait till i get home and see him! His colours look much better after the shed. He sounds so much braver than he used to be and i'm sure he will have grow...

Kate, he'll grown between 4 - 6 ft long :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2009 10:31am (Feb 21st 2009)

I love it when he climbs in his vine...

One day I went to check his tank and he was sat right on the lip of the lid, and then he slithered down the vines he did look very cool and I was impressed by their climbing ability!

• CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2009 3:14pm (Feb 21st 2009)

Aw he is beautiful, and those pics are uber cute!!
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st, 2009 8:36pm (Feb 21st 2009)

He's wonderful...reminds me of when I used to hunt slow worms as a brat. And yes, I know they're technically lizards...
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2009 12:08am (Feb 22nd 2009)

4-6ft?! I assume he'll fatten out to match that?
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2009 2:42am (Feb 22nd 2009) edited

Around one and a half times wider than the length of a 50p coin...he won't always be a shoelace :P
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd, 2009 7:59pm (Feb 22nd 2009)

I bought James a little ceramic table today that's supposed to be for fish (why would they want a table in their tank?? ) It's bright blue and all polished and shiny - possibly the naffest thing ever :P

Can't wait until my dad sees it - he will ban it from the viv! :D I think it's so naff it's cool though, and will be useful for him to play on / under and feed off. It's big enough to put adult mice on, too, so no throwing it away dad ;)
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2009 9:27pm (Feb 23rd 2009)

Ahh so thats that's why they have tables imported to forests.
    :D
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd, 2009 9:36pm (Feb 23rd 2009)

Red said =

"wait until my dad sees it - he will ban it from the viv! I think it's so naff it's cool though, and will be useful for him to play on / under and feed off. It's big enough to put adult"

So the table is for Neil?...
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th, 2009 3:36pm (Feb 24th 2009) edited

Red, can you post 3D film of Neil playing on/under his little blue plastic table? I'm quite looking forward to seeing that...:D
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 1:58pm (Feb 25th 2009) edited

Lol!

I have some 3d pics of James that I took that I completely forgot to put on here - sorry, will sort that out tonight :)

Can't promise I'd actually fit under a little table... and in 3D that would be terrifying anyway!
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 2:54pm (Feb 25th 2009)

You might be able to fit a finger / thumb under ;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 11:18pm (Feb 25th 2009)

This table needs to be renamed "James's Shed"

Just to give yet anther meaning to the thread title! - which confused a lot of us...
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:51am (Feb 26th 2009)

:D

Apparently James is about to shed again, which i AM NOT a happy about :P You're not supposed to handle them during shed (their eyes cloud over so they are half-blind and panicked easily), and he could wait up to another week before he sheds...I'll have been home and gone by then! :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:28pm (Feb 26th 2009)

What is with all this shedding, I am fascinated, he must be growing at a powerful rate to be doing it again the little darling!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 2:38pm (Feb 26th 2009)

Yeah...well, when we get him he was very small and skinny for his weight. The number of sheds he has had already is a very good sign, as it does mean he is growing a lot and putting on weight. Hurrah for James! :hurray:
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 7:14pm (Mar 3rd 2009)

Shiny new skin!

• CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 7:19pm (Mar 3rd 2009)

Here's some more...

• CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 7:21pm (Mar 3rd 2009)

That's cheered me up marginally. He looks lovely, 'specially the belly patterns.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 8:07pm (Mar 3rd 2009)

Cheered me up a lot!
    He's magnificent!

What are all the things in his box?
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 8:52pm (Mar 3rd 2009)

I love his bright little eyes...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 3:30pm (Mar 4th 2009) edited

You wouldn't love what he did on my trousers last night...

I was getting his tailtip clear of old shed (he'd left the last few milimetres of skin on again) and to do it you use wet lukewarm paper towel and it softens the dead skin so it will come off... Anyway the warmth and massaging seemed to help 'loosen him up' shall we say (luckily I caught it all in a paper towel but the amount and runniness was quite impressive).

Stuff in the box...

- well he has an undertank heatmat covering half the tank (to provide a thermal gradient so they can get their body to the temperature they want) which is controlled by a pulse proportional thermostat (ensures the temperature is stable and prevents overheating in case of any problems with the heatmat)

- then inside you've got your substrate (wood chips)

- fake plant (which he used just the other day to snag his old skin on so he could wriggle out of it)

- 2 hides (one on the hot end, one on the cold end - if you only have 1 hide then the urge to hide from predators is greater than the urge to thermo-regulate which can be very bad for your snakey friend)

- water bowl (non knock-overable!)

- vines for climbing on (animal enrichment, also he can use it to start his shed etc)

- porcelein table for his food... (seriously Scarlet, what were you thinking! :D ) so that he doesn't ingest any of the substrate while he's eating

- digital thermometer with min/max current readings

- digital hygrometer with min/max current readings

I think that's it :)
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 4:11pm (Mar 4th 2009) edited

Now THAT cheered me up a lot! He's a little sod isn't he? :D

You forgot his cave - it's hidden under the cork / bark on the left.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 5:40pm (Mar 4th 2009)

He has a better furnished house than I have and I've spent a lot more years getting mine together.
    I like the sound of the heatmat... gee, I could use one of those, keeping a constant temperature is one of my biggest problems.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th, 2009 9:23am (Mar 13th 2009)

Here's the latest pics of James from last night:

Showing off his lovely checker-board stomach!

Doing his best to look menacing (bless him!)

Close up