• CommentTimeJan 14th, 2009 2:14pm (Jan 14th 2009) edited

This thread will be used to let you know important(ish) stuff that's happening here at hencam, but which don't really warrant a blog post, basically so I can let 'the regulars' here know if something is happening so you're aware of it and don't worry for no reason. :)

For instance, the new solar powered clock needs a bit of tweaking to get it so you can read it - this might take some time as I might have to resort to woodwork or obtaining a speaker mount (thanks for the suggestion Ron!), but I'm confident we can get it going, it's such a cool little unit.

Also, the view is 'stuck' on the forward coop camera as I left it switched to this whilst I was testing the new clock - sorry!

**edited by Red to include important info for newbies - easier to find as first post!**

:seeya:

NEW MEMBERS LOOK HERE!!!

Just thought it might be helpful to add a few friendly pointers for people coming to the forum in the hope of finding answers to their chicken queries or problems, so newbies look no further! :smile:

First off, it's always useful and a good idea to start a new discussion to post questions about your chickens, rather than write about them in a pre-existing thread. This way more people will be attracted to it, and therefore likely to read it and add their thoughts and opinions. If you write about it in another thread, especially a popular one, your comments can easily get lost or not paid attention to!

To start a new discussion, simply click the 'START A NEW DISCUSSION' link, right up in the top left. Choose a category it is suited to, such as Animal Welfare or Animal Care, then give it a title which gives the gist of the topic, maybe 'sick hen' or 'chicken not eating,' just whatever is wrong. You don't need to use the whisper function, as doing so will mean that only the people you whisper to can read it!

Secondly, be as clear and detailed as possible when describing an illness you think your chickens might have. It's useful to:

~ Tell us exactly what behaviour is causing you to worry; for example "they are acting depressed, they are aren't eating or drinking and are just standing still" etc

~ Telling us what breed they are, how old they are, if they are laying or not, how long they have been laying for and other useful pointers can also be very useful!

~ Giving us a list of what they are regularly fed is helpful, such as "our chickens eat layers pellets, sometimes have corn, and often have treats including salad and bread. They also have access to grit."

~ If they are free-range or live in a coop

~ If your chickens have been seen by a vet or not, and if they have what their advice was

Thanks for reading! Hope these are helpful :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJan 15th, 2009 9:50am (Jan 15th 2009)

After spending a dis-heartening few hours last night trying to get things moved around the coop in a way that enabled you to see the clock I managed to get it readable by reducing the brightness on the picture - however I think I may have gone a bit too far as the main images now are rather dark - I will tweak some more tonight (expect some interruptions in the streaming at around 6pm).

However, it is currently really overcast here - it looks so dark it could be late evening, so perhaps it will look better when it brightens up a bit.
    • CommentTimeJan 16th, 2009 9:38am (Jan 16th 2009)

I think due to the very overcast day the clock didn't get much charge from the solar panel through the day, so it crashed sometime in the night! :D

I didn't have time to take the waterproof cover off and set it up again so I've left it turned off for now so it can get a bit of charge in...
    • CommentTimeJan 18th, 2009 8:49am (Jan 18th 2009)

Still not sunny enough to charge the clock, so I've brought it inside and am charging the batteries using the mains... Will see if the solar power can keep them topped up.
    • CommentTimeJan 20th, 2009 7:09pm (Jan 20th 2009) edited

New notice

I have created my own photo album on the galleries page!! It has taken over three hours to get it all sorted, and thank you very much for my dad for being so patient and giving me 'instructions for idiots' which is what i needed :)

But hurray! So now there is a gallery (called Scarlet's gallery) with loads of random photos that i have taken. Some are from my time at uni, but most are of my parents and photos from the walks round by my house...
    Hope you enjoy them, especially the funny ones of my dad! :boogie:
    • CommentTimeJan 25th, 2009 11:18am (Jan 25th 2009)

I think the cam might be down - I can't open the stream, but my encoding software says I have viewers, so if you can see the stream let me know, and if not, then I'm working on it... :(
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 8:34am (Mar 11th 2009)

In the recent gale force winds we had over the weekend, our coop roof ended up getting damaged and partially blown off, which allowed the rain into the wiring for the cams and mic.

Unfortunately this seems to have killed the microphone so there will be no audio until I can replace it.

I can't afford this at the moment on top of everything else so please be patient. :(
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2009 2:57pm (Mar 12th 2009) edited

Apparently we have an egg! :hurray:

Thank you to Milly or Penny...if you put a pic up dad i might be able to tell who laid it :P
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd, 2009 7:35pm (May 3rd 2009)

Notice: ~

We are aware that cams are down. As I'm sure most of you are aware they have been playing up quite a bit lately and we are doing all we can to fix them.

Thank you for being so patient everybody :)
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 5:06pm (Jun 16th 2009)

A quick thank you to CC who recently sponsored me, Tom & Joe on the Wetherby Cycle Ride in aid of Cancer Research, we raised £100 :)
    • CommentTimeJan 27th, 2010 10:15am (Jan 27th 2010)

I managed to fix something that has been annoying me for a while now - the little scrolly 'recent forum posts' bit on the left-hand side, well you can hold your mouse over it to pause it, but you can also click a post to take you straight to that page so you can read the whole conversation. Well you can now, before it usually took you to a blank page, but I fixed it. :-)

And a big thank you to Paul in California who sent a donation towards the cost of the new feeders which has helped me square the purchase with Helen greatly! Thank you!

I also found hencam's 3D webcam the other day - now the weather is picking up, I'll try and get some more 3D footage of the girls, and also some of James the snake - I will let you know how I get on!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 2:54pm (Feb 26th 2010)

26/2/10

Just wanted to let everyone know that Milly has passed away. She was put to sleep at the vets this morning.

We all know what a special little chicken she was. It's devastating to think we will never see or cuddle her again.

Rest in Peace Milly <3
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2010 10:42pm (Feb 26th 2010)

• CommentTimeApr 12th, 2010 3:54pm (Apr 12th 2010)

Just wanted to let you know I've updated Milly's page with the final chapter of her story, you can read it here.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 11:13am (Apr 26th 2010) edited

:seeya:

NEW MEMBERS LOOK HERE!!!

~ If they are free-range or live in a coop

Thanks for reading! Hope these are helpful :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 8:44pm (Apr 26th 2010)

That's very useful!

(it should have been in a new thread haha!)
    • CommentTimeApr 26th, 2010 8:56pm (Apr 26th 2010)

Ahah! Not funny... :glare:
    • CommentTimeDec 4th, 2010 11:51am (Dec 4th 2010)

Update ~

Quote from a BHWT email:

"Dear Supporters,

It’s just been announced that the EU will not enforce a ban on illegal eggs entering the UK come 2012.

With 29% of EU member countries still not prepared for the cage ban, there is nothing to prevent battery cage eggs entering our food chain, despite our farmers investing millions in improved systems.

It’s incredibly frustrating, and will be a blow for our farmers. As always, it’s down to us – buy British eggs, especially in processed foods; it’s the only way you can be sure that you’re not eating battery eggs produced by countries who have ignored the ban!"

Grrr, I'm so annoyed...nobody gives a damn about the welfare of the chickens, it's all just about profit. On the surface it looks like we're good to the hens, we've cancelled battery eggs, but we'll still use them from other countries...