• CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 3:40pm (Feb 8th 2009) edited

So, what do people think about the possibility of the drinking age being raised to 21?

We were talking about it in Sociology the other day, and now it seems the whole uni is talking about it!

A lot of people, possibly not surprisingly, here at uni think it is a terrible idea - me included! There are always gonna be idiots who take drinking too far and too often, and there are always gonna be under-age drinkers...it's like when the smoking ban was raised, you've still got kids of 11 and 12 who are smoking! It doesn't seem to make any difference, kids are still managing to get cigarettes, just like if the drinking age was raised tomorrow we'd still be able to get alcohol...

It's got a lot of people riled, even people who don't drink - mostly because the under 21's get a lot of bad publicity for binge drinking and in particular anti-social behaviour, when in actual fact a lot of us are fairly well behaved in comparison to some older people! I was just wondering what other people think?

Here's a link to the BBC about the plan to raise the drinking age, and here's an interesting article from the Times.
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 6:15pm (Feb 8th 2009) edited

I'll read the articles later when the net speeds up a bit.

My comment is regarding the vast costs this would incur to control.
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 6:32pm (Feb 8th 2009)

I say raise it to 35...:D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 6:54pm (Feb 8th 2009) edited

I'm for that. And the driving age. ;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 8:18pm (Feb 8th 2009)

Definitely!
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th, 2009 11:38pm (Feb 8th 2009)

Raising the age won't stop people doing it. It'll just cause problems for the bartenders and shopkeepers.
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 2:27am (Feb 9th 2009) edited

Posted By: KatebWho's going to implement it? Its illegal to use a mobile phone while driving but you see plenty of it going on. On Friday the woman behind me had her phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other - I was very worried for my rear bumper.

I agree Kate...and smoking AND on the phone...wow, how did she not crash?! :o

Another question raised in sociology was why should it be young adults who are victimised? The vast amount of alcoholics had begun to drink when they were older, out of their teens; and people in their 40's can be just as aggressive and irresponsible when they drink. Why 35?

Plus isn't it better to address the issue of WHY young people turn to drink, rather than to raise the age? It's not like that's gonna change anything...
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 11:54am (Feb 9th 2009)

Hmmm, interesting concept. Here the age for driving and for drinking is the same.. 18. We have a lot of road deaths due to young people drink driving. It has always been my view that the two need to be separated. I believe that at 18, we could get a driver's license and become accustomed to driving responsibly... without the added excitement of being allowed to drink. Then at 21, when the novelty of driving everywhere has worn off, a person should be mature enough to handle alcohol without mixing the two.
    This is probably more relevant in Australia because we have a lot of inexperienced drivers on the roads, and it is not hard to get a license. Of course not all young people here are irresponsible either... but there is enough deaths for it be a concern. In a nut shell, I feel that young Australians, generally, cannot handle alcohol responsibly.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 11:56am (Feb 9th 2009)

Oh, by the way... aren't you allowed to smoke while driving in the UK ?
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 12:35pm (Feb 9th 2009)

I don't think there's an actual law against it, but you can get done for 'careless driving' so in theory if you were smoking or eating a sandwich you could be pulled as you couldn't have your full concentration on the road.

It's not just mobiles that are dangerous, someone was caught recently and splashed across the papers putting her makeup on in the rear view mirror whilst driving!

As for raising the age of drinking - I kind of feel what is the point? Most kids drinking underage are most likely done from booze bought by their parents at the supermarket so raising the age won't make any difference.
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 5:43pm (Feb 9th 2009) edited

Posted By: neilMost kids drinking underage are most likely done from booze bought by their parents at the supermarket

Sounds familiar ;)

Seriously though, that's my point...me and my friends were always allowed to drink alcohol whenever we wanted to at my house when we were young teens, because our parents knew we could be trusted and we didn't rely on the alcohol to have a good time...it was just there if we wanted it!
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 6:42pm (Feb 9th 2009) edited

Red, that is such a lovely endorsement for your Mum and Dad.

For the newbies - Neil is Dad to Red, aka Scarlet.

You may have noticed as they both have the flash over their messages "Keeper of the hens"
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th, 2009 11:11pm (Feb 9th 2009)

My eldest rarely drinks - probably once a year - and my youngest got drunk twice when he was 'younger' - once at 16 and once at 17 (that I know about). He was extremely funny! We were with him both times (though he duped us on how much he'd drunk) and we made sure he was Ok through the night. He doesn't bother drinking now - he would rather drive. He has finally become 'responsible'.
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2009 2:09am (Feb 10th 2009) edited

Thanks Ollie...my parents have always been brilliant with me. Lenient enough to let me experiment and work out 'who i am,' but have always taught me right from wrong. They've never told me i'm not allowed to do anything, just explained the pro's and con's so i can make an educated decision...i like to think i usually end up making the right choice because of this :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2009 11:03am (Feb 10th 2009)

I have met some parents who let their children do just what they want.
    "Little brats" my friend and I would say as yet another would come stomping into the room with some very noisy toy, no response from parent.
    Yet, now, these children have grown up they have made wonderful adults and are very caring people.
    I don't understand how it works???
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th, 2009 4:45pm (Feb 10th 2009)

Somwhere along the line, an outsider takes the brat by the shoulders and says very quietly, gazing deep into their eyes, 'You are annoying me, you are annoying everybody here with your horrible behaviour. If you keep this up NOBODY will like you. Ever. Stoppit.Now.'
    Worked with my friend's two little s*ds...:devil:
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th, 2009 10:02am (Feb 11th 2009) edited

The difference is that the 'good' kids have some idea of how you should behave, and have an in-built sense of what is right and what is wrong (which they have either picked up from their parents or their environment), and in which circumstances you can do those 'right' and 'wrong' actions.

Compare this to (and I will sound old now), your typical 'yob' who through the environment they have been brought up in, or the parenting (or lack of), or the problems at home... will not have any sense of what is right or wrong, and will not have any problems doing things that most people would be horrified at.

If you want to see what's wrong with the UK, then have a look at a DVD called 'Eden Lake' - it's a British horror film but with a twist, there are no monsters (I can't really explain or it will spoil it for you).

Suffice to say, Helen couldn't watch it as it reminded her too much of work :( And it is a very depressing film as though you know it's only a popcorn flick, some people are unfortunately like that...
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th, 2009 10:39am (Feb 11th 2009)

Now you put it that way, Neil, I can see those children I watched, did have the example of their parents, who were professional medical people and knew much more about it than I obviously did.

I have worked with "Yob" families and seen their chidren follow into that same condition.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th, 2009 11:18pm (Feb 11th 2009)

Well said Neil you are spot on and I will watch out for that DVD.
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th, 2009 11:38pm (Feb 13th 2009)

Back to the title of this thread..

Just pray they don't put an UPPER limit on drinking.

If we get old enough they would say it is to preserve the length of our lives
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th, 2009 3:29am (Feb 14th 2009)

Haha, interesting point Ollie, i bet people would feel different about that than raising the drinking age... :)