• CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 1:56pm (Feb 25th 2009)

I've been trying to think how best to enable everyone to send alerts to us when something is amiss - such as when the cam goes down or if anyone notices strange behaviour (say, if one of the hens was ill or whatever).

Obviously I check my email, and the forum but when I'm at work it can be difficult (and sometimes at home 'real life' intrudes).

The screensaver thingy is good but again, you need to be walking past it at the right time to see it...

I don't mind giving my mobile number out to 'trusted individuals' (so that rules CC out haha!) - seriously though I would say all the 'regulars' here (basically everyone who took the trouble to sign up to the forum) would be more than welcome to send me a text or call if anything was amiss.

Another cool idea I have is a gadget that will read emails/texts out aloud that are sent to it, and it's clever enough to know if people are in the room to hear it! It's a bit expensive though so it's definitely something to think about for the future (the £1.88 so far from hencamazon this month won't cover it unfortunately!)

Having said that, it would be quite to fun to mount the gadget occasionally in the coop so you could send messages to it and hear them read out...

On that note, does anyone want to bid on the hencam LED message board (used it when Lottie was around, you can see it on some of her videos in the coop asking for votes for the blog awards!) - I might stick it on ebay to try raise some cash... (I thought it might be possible to link it to the PC so that it would show the latest message, but you can't)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 2:49pm (Feb 25th 2009)

That causes problems with idiots who post rude messages, and things like that though...plus how would having a gadget that reads out messages from hencammers so you are alerted if something is wrong help if you are at work and the gadget is in the coop? :P
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 5:29pm (Feb 25th 2009)

It wouldn't be in the coop all the time! ;)

But I see what you are getting at...

I can't check my email all the time so something that alerted me asap would be useful - by whatever means I don't know.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 5:34pm (Feb 25th 2009)

Posted By: neil

:beaker:
    And if I might just point out here that I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!:sneaky2:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 6:43pm (Feb 25th 2009)

Aww, I was only joking, my friend :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 7:28pm (Feb 25th 2009)

:fingersear:
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th, 2009 11:49pm (Feb 25th 2009)

I think your mobile number would be a good idea, or even better, have you got an old mobile phone? You could get a free sim card and just use that for people to send messages to - though that would mean carrying 2 phones everywhere so maybe not such a good idea.

We'd have to make sure we didn't panic, like when we thought Penny (was it Penny?) was having breathing problems and huffing all the time, when really she was fine!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:45am (Feb 26th 2009) edited

Yes that was Penny...

Yeah that's a good point, people might think something is seriously wrong at like 4am in the morning (for instance thinking Smudge was a fox / in the coop!) and send a text...you'd be well annoyed! :)
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 6:56am (Feb 26th 2009)

I have Neil and Red's numbers... hmmm... I think it is time they were both awake !! lol
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 7:08am (Feb 26th 2009)

I am awake :)

Though the time difference between Oz/Uk makes it pretty easy for you to be able to ruin my beauty sleep!

You could ring Scarlet at mid-day here and she'd probably still sleep through it - she's in the 'Student Timezone' now...
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 2:36pm (Feb 26th 2009)

I know, it's terrible :(

I never realised that birds sang at 4 in the morning before though! :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 7:33pm (Feb 26th 2009)

That will be the robin singing that I was telling you about.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 12:13am (Feb 27th 2009)

CAREFUL NEIL !
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 12:17am (Feb 27th 2009)

LOL! :rollonfloorlaughing:you might get a hysterecal call from some one ranting about RATS in your coop!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 8:00am (Feb 27th 2009)

The scariest thing is they might be rats but the cam just makes them look like cute mice! :)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 1:32pm (Feb 27th 2009)

Ooooo !I hope not.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 6:29pm (Feb 27th 2009)

Rats are cute! As long as they don't get to my sleeping chucks... :_oh_really:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 10:33pm (Feb 27th 2009)

:_oh_really: Yes, I'm with Red on that one!
    (sleeping chucks?????)

And the camera makes mice look like rats, not the other way round!