• CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 10:59am (Feb 26th 2009)

Just a quick heads-up on our plans for this weekend.

Saturday I am getting up v. early (and hopefully Scarlet will too, though this will have to be seen to be believed!) to pick up some perspex from Wakefield and Harrogate.

Then off to Homebase or B&Q to buy some heavy duty bolts and large washers (to hold the perspex on without hopefully stressing it too much). If anyone has any idea how you should fasten perspex to a wood frame, then let me know - my thoughts were to drill carefully a hole in each corner then use a bolt or large screw with a big washer to prevent it from 'pinching' the perspex too much.

So after we get back (probably around lunchtime) then it's time to start stripping the existing roof and side coverings, take the extra wood I added to the roof off (it was added to make the roof slant but would prevent the new perspex from laying flat), then cut all the perspex drill the mounting holes in the right place and then fasten it all to the coop...

Probably will move a cam temporarily to watch me and Scarlet hard at work... if you hear swearing please ignore :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 11:12am (Feb 26th 2009)

Hmmm, i was going to say, and much swearing shall follow... :)
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:16pm (Feb 26th 2009)

OK Neil you sound like you are on track there, after some serious consultation with my other half Brian, he says make sure you measure, measure, measure, first BEFORE cutting to size, he tells me. heh heh heh.
    He has replaced this perspex stuff a couple of times here, Bunnings oh eerrrr yes.... your hardware shop will have the correct nuts/bolts/washers, just say what you need them for.
    He would pop over to give a hand but will be busy pouring a few acres of concrete that morning!!!!
    Good luck from us all here!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 12:49pm (Feb 26th 2009)

Rubber washers against the perspex before the regular washers...helps prevent the perspex from cracking (its quite brittle).
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th, 2009 7:41pm (Feb 26th 2009)

This is so exciting!!!!

I love watching (and helping) DIY jobs. - but NOT those tv progs that I suspect don't show us the bits that went wrong!

Relishing the prospects of seeing all this happen.
    Promise to keep sound off - though language is better than hitting something. Less painful too..
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 12:21am (Feb 27th 2009)

YES ! YES! I know i am late in speacking up but the rubber washer are a must to keep it from craking.
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 12:23am (Feb 27th 2009)

:milly_hen: THe coop will look so nice when you finish! I can hadrly wait ! Good Luck !
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 6:30pm (Feb 27th 2009)

It starts tomorrow - i have to get up at 8:00am!!! :gasp:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 6:49pm (Feb 27th 2009)

You take it easy with your wrist, Red. I probably will miss all the fun, I'll be sleeping through it all.:zzzzz-chick:
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th, 2009 10:30pm (Feb 27th 2009)

I'm hoping for a lie in, but I bet I end up having Caitlyn. Good job she's cute or I might refuse!
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 1:49am (Feb 28th 2009)

BLIMEY !! I just flew all that way to see the coop, and now you are changing it ! Now I will have to come back to see it again, lol.

Anyway, good luck (on getting Red up early) with it all, and remember.. lefty loosey, righty tighty... unless it is a nail which just goes inny.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 7:51am (Feb 28th 2009)

I wonder if Red and Neil are up yet, getting ready to head off to pick up the building suplies.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 9:46am (Feb 28th 2009) edited

Watching you on "Stalking"
    You are about a mile from me!I just wish my "Zoom Out" facility would work though, especially on the Hybrid mode.
    :auto:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 9:49am (Feb 28th 2009)

Red is still in bed, (you scally wag) Neil is on the move and the hens are wating for a new roof.
    Milly just had a lovely dust bath.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 9:58am (Feb 28th 2009)

Copied over from the blog:-

Posted by Neil,
    8.45am
    update It's surfaced! :) So Scarlet is coming hurrah!
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 9:58am (Feb 28th 2009)

Judging from the "stalker", seems Neil is parked at the hardware store.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 10:04am (Feb 28th 2009)

He is on the move again... wow Neil drives fast ! lol
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 10:16am (Feb 28th 2009)

Thats not the way home Neil... but I understand, I got lost getting to your house too.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 10:17am (Feb 28th 2009)

ha ha ha That is hilarious, maybe they are going to buy morning tea.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 10:20am (Feb 28th 2009)

Well it looked like Neil stopped at the side of the highway for a few minutes... maybe the perspex blew off the roof of the car, and now he has to go to the next town to get some more...
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 11:00am (Feb 28th 2009)

He said he was going to Harrogate for some of his supplies.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 11:12am (Feb 28th 2009)

Looks like they are on their way back home now.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 12:37pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Still out and about.... how much stuff can you fit in that little car ?? lol.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 1:38pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Hee hee, I can hear Neil and Red. And see their feet. Can't see any hens, though.
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 1:48pm (Feb 28th 2009) edited

Looks like it is all systems go now.

Lots of sheets of stuff strewn around.

We could use more than one view, there is so much to see but you w'nt see this message until later when it is all done and dusted.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 5:09pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Arrg..I missed it.. booooooo!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 5:41pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Gone quiet now. All finished?
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:04pm (Feb 28th 2009) edited

I think so... for now anyway!

After our roadtrip, which involved picking up some flexible sheeting for the roof from Wakefield, some perspex from Harrogate for the front window, fittings from Bingley and a new faunarium for James from Shipley, we arrived back ready to do our worst!

The original, with tatty sheeting that has taken a battering from the elements and is a bit manky!

Penny is shaking her wings in despair...

But under Tilly's guidance, the old sheeting starts to come off.

Getting there...

Some chickens (Milly!) used this as a diversion to raid the kitchen...

Fitting the new perspex front

And the new roof

The more or less finished item

The chickens love the fact they have more light and hopefully the coop will last longer now there is a bit of ventilation (before water was collecting under the polythene sheeting making the wood damp).
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:23pm (Feb 28th 2009)

That is superb, Neil. It looks so very posh.

And so much better without the crinkling/flapping of the old polythene noise.

Glad you found the camera to record the "Before and After" sequence!
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:24pm (Feb 28th 2009) edited

Lovely job! One complaint; can't see the red ribbon - how is Helen going to Declare The Improvements Open??
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:35pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Great job, Neil!! It looks very nice. I'm sorry I had to go to bed and I missed the whole remodel, but at least there are lots of pictures of the construction. I love the picture of Penny!:lol:
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:50pm (Feb 28th 2009)

OOhh missed it!! Its 5.30am just staggered out for a drink and to check progress, the coop looks very open and light and bright. Just right for the girls.
    I see the young lads of the neighbourhood poppped by to offer some advice and moral support.

Cheeky Milly raiding the kitchen, she's lovely and fluffy and plump and happy.
    Tilly looks to be saying 'carefull with that hammer Neil, mind your fingers".
    Penny's wing flap may be due to testing her flying feathers, if she didnt like the new coop roof she would be off to the neighbours". :milly_hen:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 6:56pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Was i the only one that got to see it! The new roof looks AWESOME! ;)
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 7:47pm (Feb 28th 2009) edited

I was there all day.

First following the shopping expedition, then the construction.
    (Things got a little hairy at one point early on so I turned the sound off.)
    Then when I put sound back on it was lovely. All the constant flappng polythene had been sent to the bin and replaced with beautiful solid clear sheets.
    I think they may drum a bit in heavy rain but we don't get so much of that in Yorkshire...

Mel seems pleased, it will be much less draughty for her. :wink:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th, 2009 10:59pm (Feb 28th 2009)

Great job Neil! Looks quite spiffy and bright.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 1st, 2009 7:35pm (Mar 1st 2009)

I saw/heard bits of the construction work. I wonder if the hens like looking out of their lovely clean new windows and skylight?

I like the photo of Milly in the kitchen.:bigsmile: It'd be great to find a chicken in my kitchen looking for food. Actually, one did once fly over and wander in our door while we were trying to get her home. I'd forgotten about that.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2009 4:20pm (Mar 2nd 2009) edited

I didn't really do much, just watched over the girls' and took photos...my dad did all the hard work ;) He's done really well though!

Tilly braved the kitchen too which surprised me...there's a photo of Milly and Tilly stood in the doorway, but it's on my dad's computer back home. The girls' seem to like looking out, although i guess they'll panic the first time they see Smudge out the front! :D
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2009 5:37pm (Mar 2nd 2009)

If it came to a fight, my money weould be on the girls, not Smudge!
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd, 2009 7:20pm (Mar 2nd 2009)

I saw Smudge pause outside the coop for a bit while I was watching sleeping hens on Saturday night, presumably having a good look inside through the new perspex.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd, 2009 12:50am (Mar 3rd 2009)

Yeah i'd have to agree CC :P
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 5:17am (Mar 5th 2009)

Lovely job! the girl will enjoy all the light and to be able to see out!
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 9:55am (Mar 5th 2009)

Very nice indeed, good job ! :cool:
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 4:53pm (Mar 5th 2009)

Everything looks all bright and squeaky clean in the coop now!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 6:14am (Mar 7th 2009)

Now the work that so very desparatly need to be done over here is the last side panel on the hen house! It has been 3 weeks and he still has not finished it ! Grrr! the wire on the hen house is not strong enough to keep out a very determined racoon. he has been worrying at it and he will get throw in a night or two . so guess what he is doing whenhe gets up to morrow ! I will be there with the hammmer and the nails ! no skiving off.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 5:53pm (Mar 7th 2009)

Ooo, she's a hard woman! :D
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 9:49pm (Mar 7th 2009)

ya! I wish he is soring in bed right now and it is 3 inthe after noon! poor darling he worked late . but he is going to get up in the next 15 min as i have too much to do to let it all go to waist!
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2009 3:35am (Mar 8th 2009)

:whip:Poor Mr Froggie...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 8th, 2009 11:53pm (Mar 8th 2009)

So ... is the coop done frogdust?!
    • CommentTimeMar 9th, 2009 5:13pm (Mar 9th 2009)

Or is Arthur done over? :)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 5:22am (Mar 11th 2009) edited

yes! Yes, he got right out of bed and got to it ! he was surprised at how late it was! I made him some lunch and some lemonade with Ice and took it out to him. he had worked over time so he was very tired !
    all in all it worked out just fine! just in time too, it has been and is going to raine hard so the chicken will be nice and dry! and we have one angrey
    racoon ! the dogs chased him off at twielite last night . he was out there in the mist chattereing to him self.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 2:50pm (Mar 11th 2009)

Most annoying thing was me doing a full explanation of the repair and what I was doing (complete with swearing when I dropped screws etc), and then finding out it's all bloody broken :(

But at least the roof is repaired, and it's a lot more secure so hopefully will withstand the weather for a bit.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 11th, 2009 9:35pm (Mar 11th 2009)

What did you finally use for the roof Neil? (I might have missed it somewhere else).
    • CommentTimeMar 12th, 2009 8:03am (Mar 12th 2009) edited

Well, the same covering, but apart from heavy-duty staples (which were physically ripped from the wood in the gales), there are sections of wood screwed down to hold it in place securely - will post a photo (it ain't pretty!) when I get chance.

Also, thanks to CC who sent a donation to go towards the cost to the new mic and wiring ( :_oops: ) so thank you so much!

And also to Lynn and Ron who kindly offered help too - I am humbled and once again reminded what an amazing place this has become with such friendly and helpful people...

I hope to get the bits and pieces and get it all wired up in the next couple of days - I'll pay particular attention to water-proofing too!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2009 5:02pm (Mar 14th 2009) edited

Yet agine another Saturday..... It has been raining for the last 4 days . we got up this morning and wow ! it isnt raining ! so what to do, what to do? It looks like we are going to fix the pully on the suburban(car) the "beast" need matinace and to day is the day. That is unless I can come up with some thing a lot more fun ! it is too darn cold to work on the yard . so every body what are you up to to day?
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2009 5:26pm (Mar 14th 2009) edited

Ugh... cleaning, chasing hens round our garden, driving to a tile showroom to order tiles for the bathroom... What a horrible Saturday!

Tomorrow my nephews Tom and Joe are playing football so we'll be stood in the cold watching that (at least that's fun though!)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2009 5:39pm (Mar 14th 2009)

:tongue_smilie: OH hey ! I'd love chooseing tile for my bath room. now the cleaning part is not so fun LOL!
    Poor Neil you have it so bad !
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2009 11:28pm (Mar 14th 2009)

I've been babysitting, vacuuming, washing, cleaning, cooking, more babysitting, had visitors, played with the rats, cleaned both cages out, and now finally I get to sit down and surf the net. What a long day!

Tomorrow - as above, but hope to get to make some more hammocks for the rats!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 11:01am (Mar 15th 2009)

Aww Kate - put on some good music to help pass the chores quickly...

I had to do the ironing this morning so I did it at 8:30am to get it out of the way!

We're off to watch my nephews Tom and Joe play footie...

Then taking my parents to buy more wallpaper - the joy of Sundays! (although we do get Sunday Lunch thrown in - yay!)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 4:03pm (Mar 15th 2009)

Kate, you ought to knit at work. Then when someone asks what you're knitting, you can say 'Rat hammocks,' and watch the reaction...:)
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 8:54pm (Mar 15th 2009)

Dad, did you do those photos for that corn snake guy?
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 9:42pm (Mar 15th 2009)

• CommentTimeMar 16th, 2009 5:22pm (Mar 16th 2009) edited

Shouldn't that be 'Yes dear,' Neil...?:)