• CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 9:50am (Mar 4th 2009)

In what could possibly be the biggest waste of money ever, I've just bought a nabaztag wifi rabbit (don't tell Helen as she will kick me out if she knows how much money I've just spent which I don't have!)

The nabaztag is a strange thing - it's one of a new breed of Wi-Fi enabled ambient electronic devices - which is a fancy way of saying that it's permanently connected to the Internet and can offer various (and upgradeable) services such as notifying you of what the weather will be, the latest news items, reading your emails, etc etc.

It can do this by moving it's ears to certain positions, flashing sequences of colours on it's body, or just reading it out aloud...

It's one of the more 'silly' ideas (the designer even said so), but he also has an interesting argument of why aren't more things around our house smarter?

If you visit amazon once, then come back the next week, it will remember you and will know your preferences and from that be able to show you products that should interest you, but your TV is incapable of learning what you prefer to watch so it can't show programmes that might interest you for instance.

Anyway I thought the nabaztag fit nicely in with the idea of hencam (technology and animals blended in a strange fashion), and will primarily be used to read out messages sent from the site to us (so it will come in useful for instance if the roof blows off the coop!)

It also has a developers API (programming interface) so you can create new services so hopefully there will be some hencam-related fun to be had there too...

More info when it arrives (and if Helen doesn't make me send it back!)
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 4:05pm (Mar 4th 2009)

Why the heck has this been made into a sticky? :P

You goof! Although there is something quite endearing about it...
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 5:38pm (Mar 4th 2009)

Ooooo neat Neil! I love gizmoes! And yes Helen will kill you when she finds out ! LOL but if you and every one can show her how wonderfully useful it is she might not be so angry LOL!

Red do not be so hard on your dad !:confused: We all have geriatic moments !
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 6:06pm (Mar 4th 2009)

Posted By: neil

Anyway I thought the nabaztag fit nicely in with the idea of hencam (technology and animals blended in a strange fashion), and will primarily be used to read out messages sent from the site to us.

Nice try, Neil...but admit it, IT'S A TOY!!:)
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 8:08pm (Mar 4th 2009)

My Mum read the first sentence or so of the latest henblog entry, said 'nabaztag wifi rabbit' aloud and decided she couldn't actually be bothered to read any more. I don't think she's impressed. So good luck with Helen.
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 8:14pm (Mar 4th 2009)

hahah! I see what you mean...
      CommentAuthorVicki
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 9:21pm (Mar 4th 2009)

hehehe yaay it looks ermm ... cute ?!?
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 9:52pm (Mar 4th 2009) edited

Looks like it costs, Neil.
    So you will have to hang on in there now.....

Not being a techno person it is all Greek to me so will wait for the plain English explanations..
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeMar 4th, 2009 10:26pm (Mar 4th 2009)

It's cute, Neil. I hope Helen will let you keep it.:he:
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 4:50pm (Mar 5th 2009)

Posted By: ollie in UK

Explanation: Neil wants a toy. ;)
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 5:09pm (Mar 5th 2009)

Explanation came through loud and clear!!!
    • CommentTimeMar 5th, 2009 6:05pm (Mar 5th 2009)

Now if you could get a chicken version....
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 2:59am (Mar 6th 2009)

Woooooo Hooooooo Heeelllleeen!!!! look what Neil has bought he he he.
    wow wait til Trevor sees this he loves Gizmos too so you will have a supporter there Neil.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 11:34am (Mar 6th 2009)

She knows but rolled her eyes and mentioned how we are seriously skint this month (MOT, car repairs etc etc)...

She said I could save a fortune by turning my PC, four webcams, powered mic and switching box off for a while! :p
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeMar 6th, 2009 7:08pm (Mar 6th 2009)

And then we'd all save by not turning on our PCs to watch the hens...
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 1:34am (Mar 7th 2009)

But then we would have nothing fun to do...
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 6:18am (Mar 7th 2009)

:icon_gonk: NO! NO! NO! OH say you will not cut us off !
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 7:33am (Mar 7th 2009)

Posted By: neilShe said I could save a fortune by turning my PC, four webcams, powered mic and switching box off for a while!

I don't know what I'd do without the hencam, Neil. :icon_gonk:
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 9:24am (Mar 7th 2009)

I think she was only joking.... I have to hope the stuff I have on ebay sells for enough to cover her car tyres and the nabaztag!!

I'm quite proud of hencam's uptime (apart from the odd outage here and there it's been broadcasting for over 3 years now)
      CommentAuthorLuke
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 4:40pm (Mar 7th 2009)

wow Neil, that's quite cool.
    Red, the stickys take up my whole screen :)
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 7th, 2009 9:30pm (Mar 7th 2009)

:lets_party: 3 years is a long time.............congrats and Thank you !
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 14th, 2009 1:01am (Mar 14th 2009)

:wink1: hey Neil ! how is the gizmo bunny working out? A nabzbag?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeMar 21st, 2009 11:00pm (Mar 21st 2009)

that looks live a very interesting device to me.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 3:07pm (Mar 22nd 2009)

Hello, Shobhna!! We MISSED you! How've you been?
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd, 2009 9:47pm (Mar 22nd 2009) edited

Shobhna we haven't officially met but hullo welcome back and see you in a week after our hol.:001_smile:
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 4:39am (Mar 23rd 2009)

Hello ,Shobhna! glad you droped by.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 9:15am (Mar 25th 2009)

Welcome back! Haven't had time to sort Mabel (for that is her name!) but at the moment she's letting me know the weather and reading out the BBC and Guardian headlines and letting me know about the latest film releases from RottenTomatoes.com :)

Hope to get her integrated into Hencam to provide alerts if something amiss happens, or if anyone here gets in touch (so if I'm not at the computer we'll still hear).
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd, 2009 10:02am (Apr 3rd 2009)

I'm usually found lurking in various places.