• CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 10:52am (Mar 15th 2009)

James had a good meal last night, so here are some pics...

If you don't want to see defrosted baby mice been eaten then look away now.

Someone once asked me if I minded having dead mice in the freezer, but I replied with 'you have frozen chicken in yours, what's the difference?'...

He was a bit nervous of his feeding bowl (so I can feed him in the viv and not worry about him accidentally swallowing substrate), but he was fine when he got going. :)

pics start below...

Hope you like them.
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 1:25pm (Mar 15th 2009)

Well James certainly liked them !!!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 4:17pm (Mar 15th 2009)

Someone once asked me if I minded having dead mice in the freezer

Better than live ones, perhaps...:shocked:
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 5:15pm (Mar 15th 2009)

true! might be a bit chilly for them... :p

He actually ate 3 last night so we think he's ready for the next size up, Scarlet was saying he's ready for fuzzies so that's quite exciting - be good to see a huge growth spurt so he's not quite so shoelace-like!
    • CommentTimeMar 15th, 2009 8:58pm (Mar 15th 2009)

Dawwww look at him go :heartsabove:

You're so lucky you got to watch him eat, he never lets me see! Atta boy James! He seems to be eating nicely anyway...I like how he got the second pinky on the side, then was like 'Ooops, no, wrong place!'
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd, 2009 5:26am (Mar 23rd 2009)

Oh my! HE was hungry . Hmmm...I wonder does he burp after such a big meal?
    Truley he is a beautiful snake. It has been fun watching him grow over the last few months.
    • CommentTimeMar 24th, 2009 7:32am (Mar 24th 2009)

He's been doing more growing as I noticed last night that he's about to shed again - his eyes are going dull which means he'll shed in a week or so...

2 quick pics:

• CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 3:56am (Mar 25th 2009)

yes, you can see the cloudy cast in his eyes. Will his colors spread down his body as he gets older or will his head just be the only brilliant place on his body?
    • CommentTimeMar 25th, 2009 9:18am (Mar 25th 2009)

I'm not sure - as they hit adult-hood apparently their colours completely change which sounds fascinating - I think James will end up a deep orange with red spots where he's orange now...

At the moment his orange spots dim as they near his tail.

He's currently sat in his wet sphagnum moss-hide so hopefully the extra humidity will help him shed easier, though he always seems to leave a tail-tip of skin on which I have to ease off.
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 2:12am (Mar 26th 2009)

Is that a fuzzy or a pinky he's eating? Good pics again dad :)

He timed the shed just right, should be finished when i come home for Easter! I can't believe he's going to be bright orange when he's an adult, how crazy is that? He's got a lot of changing to do...!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 2:15am (Mar 26th 2009)

Kids are like that...a lot of changing to do.. :)
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 2:18am (Mar 26th 2009)

Tell me about it! We think he's almost two foot long now...
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 2:38am (Mar 26th 2009)

They grow up so fast..sniff!
    • CommentAuthorfrogdust
    • CommentTimeMar 26th, 2009 6:49am (Mar 26th 2009)

yes they do ! My (Baby) 13 year old son just anounsd to me that he thought he might need to shave soon! I looked at him and giggled and said ''not in the near future''
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2009 7:52am (Apr 2nd 2009)

I have just decided that snakes are pretty but I don't know about their breakfast habits.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd, 2009 6:45pm (Apr 2nd 2009)

No worse than yer average toddler, I should think! I've seen one eat a worm. Bleaurgh!
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2009 11:52pm (Apr 16th 2009) edited

James successfully ate his fuzzy two nights ago now, woop woop! :hurray:

fuzzy
    Hungry boy came out as soon as we put the fuzzy in

hungry
    It took him a while to get a good grip, and he seemed a little scared of it at first, but he managed to get it down eventually! It's all been fully digested now and he was out to play tonight - he'll be a big boy in no time at all! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 10:12am (Apr 17th 2009)

How very fasinating to watch him, he has a nice posh house so he must be a very happy snake. Could you keep two together or would they try to eat each other?
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 11:22am (Apr 17th 2009) edited

You can definitely see the size differences between the pinkies and fuzzie can't you?? You can keep two corns together after they are a year old, but before that they are very cannibalistic so it is not advised!!
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 1:26pm (Apr 17th 2009)

yes you sure can tell the difference between them. Some animals do prefere to be solitary. Do you think maybe he wouldn't be as friendly towards you if he had a girlfriend, as they might get jealous of each other. If I make too much fuss of Sootz, Kimmi gives me mega dagger stares and then refuses to be petted for a while. He soon gets over it though.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 9:48pm (Apr 17th 2009)

Haha, i'm not sure i never thought of that! That's like Milly and little Eva - if i ever had Eva on my lap in the coop Milly would storm over, jump up and give her hell! Jealousy brings out the worst in people, eh? :)
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 10:04pm (Apr 17th 2009)

sure does and gets us no where in the end, but I guess animals don't see it that way they live for the moment more than we do