Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeApr 8th, 2009 2:37pm (Apr 8th 2009)

For the first time ever, I am going to ask advice about chickens!! No, I haven't finally gone out and bought some, its work related.

We have a home for clients with learning disabilities and the manager of the home wants to get some chickens. She thinks it will be great for the clients, and they can have eggs for breakfast! However, we are wondering if there are any concerns regarding salmonella. With the challenging disabilities some of the residents have, they do not always wash their hands properly! Is salmonella a worry? And, (a colleague suggested this) can they be innoculated against it?
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2009 4:04pm (Apr 8th 2009)

I wouldn't worry about salmonella in the eggs (I would be more wary of store bought eggs!), but salmonella is carried in the intestines of the bird so can be passed on through poo, and then probably through handling and low hygiene (as the chicken dust bathes it may get the contaminated poo / dirt on it's body which then makes it's way onto the resident's hands).

Only safe way is to wash hands thoroughly, maybe use the disinfectant hand scrub like they have in hospitals?

That been said, if they are only going to collect eggs and pet the chickens a bit, I personally wouldn't worry too much - I've had my hands covered in their crap whilst working with the hens, digging the coop etc, been poo'd on more times than I care to remember and Scarlet has cuddled and kissed Milly and we've always been ok (though obvious care and precautions apply!)

I don't think you can innoculate the hens against salmonella (at first I thought you meant innoculating the residents hah!) - salmonella is something that humans and animals carry so you'd end up innoculating everything and everyone!

Not very helpful I'm afraid - sorry!
    • CommentTimeApr 8th, 2009 6:18pm (Apr 8th 2009)

I think they've finally admitted tha the Salmonella scare was hugely over exaggerated. I'm sure the benefits would far outweigh the dangers.
    And smoked salmonella on brown bread with lemon juice and pepper is lovely...:devil:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2009 1:08am (Apr 9th 2009)

Ohh CC.. :)
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2009 12:40pm (Apr 9th 2009) edited

Don't worry about salmonella, just GET THE CHUCKS!! :boogie:

As long as the coop (especially nesting area) is kept clean and tidy salmonella is unlikely to be a problem, especially not with pet chickens.

Posted By: neilI wouldn't worry about salmonella in the eggs (I would be more wary of store bought eggs!),

Correct! 71% of store-bought eggs are contaminated with salmonella - eating your own chickens' eggs, where you have control over their cleanliness, reduces your chances of exposure. As for getting salmonella directly from the chickens, the liklihood is exactly the same as that from handling parakeets...and much lower than when handling reptiles :confused:

Hand-washing is a must though.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2009 12:43pm (Apr 9th 2009)

You can buy the chucks from a salmonella-tested breeding flock, too, if you can find one??
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2009 2:22pm (Apr 9th 2009)

Thank you everyone, that's really helpful! I think they've already decided to get the chickens anyway, this was more as reassurance. I didn't realise the stats were so high - maybe we should get some at home after all!!
    • CommentTimeApr 9th, 2009 4:26pm (Apr 9th 2009)

As long as the chucks don't get salmonella...
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2009 2:46pm (Apr 11th 2009)

Posted By: Kateb maybe we should get some at home after all!!

:yes:
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 11th, 2009 2:48pm (Apr 11th 2009) edited

:iagree:
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2009 8:51pm (Apr 12th 2009)

:thumbdown:

Not likely. Spent last easter at the emergency vet with Patrick, and this easter at the vet with Foggy. She has a really bad dose of (look away now Diane) runny poo. And she's long-haired. (pause while you imagine long fur and runny poo ..... that's long enough). Yes YUK!! I was up at 7am cutting fur, washing fur, cleaning etc, then had to change the bed at 10am because she'd decided to wipe her bottom across it. Hope you're all as grossed out as me now, mwahahahahah!!!

(Vet gave her an antibiotic jab and tablets for 5 days, and some kaoline. Should be fun getting that into her!)

More pets = more vet visits!
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2009 9:33pm (Apr 12th 2009)

And we've just come back from the emergency vet...mind you, half an hour before anyone saw us; it ought to be called Vets Eventually rather than Vets Now. Bits isn't at all well; dehydrated, drooling, nauseous...they're keeping him in on drips and things.
    Hope Foggy feels better soon, Kate.
    • CommentTimeApr 12th, 2009 11:46pm (Apr 12th 2009)

Kate, I hope your Foggy will get to feeling better very soon. (it does sound like a gross problem)

CC, I hope your Bits will be feeling better soon too..does the vet have any idea what is wrong with him?
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2009 3:12pm (Apr 13th 2009)

Absobloodylutely no idea whatsoever. We took him in because he was shaking, drooling and not eating (the last being very frightening) and moaning a bit when he lay down. The vet we (eventually) saw last night said it wasn't his urinary tract (sorry, you're not eating, are you?) again, but that he had a lot of gas in his stomach, he was dehydrated and a lymph node by his jaw was swollen. They put him on a drip overnight and gave him pain relief and antibiotics. He's eaten a lot today and we pick him up at 5:30 after he's had another pain relief shot. 'Pain where?' I asked, 'In his jaw?'
    Pause.
    'Maybe,' came the reply. :\
    I reckon I could be a vet...
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2009 5:59pm (Apr 13th 2009)

Good grief CC..is that all the vet said?? All he did was state the obvious. Did he even look for the source of the infection? I'd be finding me a new Vet!
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2009 10:14pm (Apr 13th 2009)

Ah, this was the emergency out of hours vet. On a Bank Holiday. And - hold on to your hat - Bits was in there 22 hours with a consultation, an IV drip to rehydrate him, blood tests, urine test, antibiotics and painkilling injections.
    £519...:shocked::_oh::surprised:
    And then of course, they say we must take him to our vet tomorrow...:cursing:
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2009 10:20pm (Apr 13th 2009) edited

:beaker::shocked::scared::wha::blink::blink:

How much?!?!!!!!! Did he have a mask and a musket and shout "your money or your life" when you walked in?!!

And they still don't know what's wrong with him? Poor Bits. Do you think he could've been poisoned? Not deliberately, but with it being a fairly mild weekend I'm sure lots of people have been out there with the weedkiller.

Foggy seems better today - not her normal self, but no runny poo thankfully. It even upset the rats - they wouldn't come near me yesterday.

I hope Bits feels better soon CC. xx
      CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeApr 13th, 2009 10:26pm (Apr 13th 2009)

I hope Bits and Foggy get better very soon. :heart:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 2:51am (Apr 14th 2009)

So do I....thanks, Acie.

It's nearly 3am and I'm sitting up with Bits; he seems to want me to keep stroking his face...I think it's pain. I keep remembering the time I had an infected gland in my face and can just imagine the pain he's in...:(
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 4:31am (Apr 14th 2009)

Posted By: chief chicken£519

:svengo: OMG:gasp:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 4:34am (Apr 14th 2009)

CC, I hope Bits will be feeling better VERY soon...the poor baby.
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 4:59pm (Apr 14th 2009)

And you might say a prayer for Eric's wallet while you're at it...:)
    Bits was due to see the vet at 11:40 this morning. So we left him dozing quietly on the bed, and Eric tiptoed into the bedroom with the box, and Bits was...gone! Eric went everywhere trying to find him, then rang the vet and cancelled. Rebooked for 3pm, Bits still a no-show by 2:45, so cancelled again. Bits sauntered in at 2:55...Eric slammed all the doors, rang the vet, put a reluctant Bits in the box and flew up there!
    Basically, something not quite right in his stomach, so 2 weeks of (v. expensive) special bland food and antiboos, then ring in a progress report Thursday.
    Thanks for your kind thoughts, everyone!
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 8:33pm (Apr 14th 2009)

The story about Bits and Eric made me grin CC! Positive thoughts to all :rainbow: and I hope they both recover soon :heart:
    • CommentTimeApr 14th, 2009 10:41pm (Apr 14th 2009)

I love the way Bits reappears AFTER you've cancelled the appointment!! I hope your vet was a bit cheaper - LSE's wallet must be red hot.

Foggy is currently lying with her belly flat on the floor and her legs stretched out at the back. She only tends to do that when she's uncomfortable. Maybe she and Bits have been at the easter eggs and eaten too much chocolate!
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2009 5:57am (Apr 15th 2009)

Are you taking her to the vet, Kate? (Get a second mortgage...:\)
    • CommentTimeApr 15th, 2009 10:09pm (Apr 15th 2009)

No, she seems OK. Her runny poo has stopped anyway!

How's Bits?
    • CommentTimeApr 16th, 2009 6:44pm (Apr 16th 2009)

Expensive...but looking better and troughing the v. expensive vet catfood like there's no tomorrow. :\:)
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 11:31pm (Apr 17th 2009)

Its better than turning his nose up at it and demanding Asda own brand!!!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeApr 17th, 2009 11:59pm (Apr 17th 2009)

My kitties are
      supposed
    to be eating the expensive vet stuff ($2 CDN per tin).
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 1:32pm (Apr 18th 2009)

I spoke too soon...they like the chicken (sorry, Girls) but not the duck...:(
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 1:47pm (Apr 18th 2009)

My Kimmi cat suffers with a sensitive stomach so I have to watch what he eats. The vet put him on a hills special diet and he hated it and refused to eat. The other cats thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I have to cook white fish every day as he can not tolerate pouches or tinned food. I have to get him special biscuits the purina ones as he can not tolerate the others. They all eat the same as Kimmi as it so much simpler for me to control
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 4:22pm (Apr 18th 2009)

Um,NN...could you not post stuff like that in case Bits starts to read over my shoulder?? I don't cook for Eric, so I'm not about to start cooking for a cat! (I don't want the RSPCA on my back, either...)
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 4:34pm (Apr 18th 2009)

:cat:Can't cook or won't cook ?
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 4:57pm (Apr 18th 2009)

I'm waiting for the BBC to come up with the programme Won't Cook, Can't Make Me.
    I bet I win...
    • CommentTimeApr 18th, 2009 6:00pm (Apr 18th 2009)

Ha ha I like your thinking, I do a lot of cooking and don't mind doing it. I am always doing something but tend to take it a bit more slowly nowadays as I don't have to rush about like I used to which is nice
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2009 1:10pm (Apr 19th 2009)

Can I be your team mate on that CC? Sounds just my sort of programme.
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2009 5:24pm (Apr 19th 2009)

As long as Pierce Brosnan or Jonny Depp don't want to be my team-mate, of course you can. But if they do...sorry, old bean! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 19th, 2009 11:40pm (Apr 19th 2009)

If one of them gives you a call just put me down as first reserve then. ;)
    • CommentTimeApr 20th, 2009 4:13pm (Apr 20th 2009)

Right-o! :D