Site Tag Cloud

• CommentAuthorjoannec
    • CommentTimeMay 8th, 2009 11:13pm (May 8th 2009)

Hi all, i havent been on here for ages and ages but i have a query...... My girls are gonna be 2 in august and i am starting to get a problem with there eggs. The yolk is stuck to the shell, when you crack them the white comes out and the yolk stays in and then breaks, i really want a dunky fried egg but they keep breaking????? any ideas??? they are being fed on mixed corn and layers, also specks laid an egg in the middle of the lawn today which goldie eat (they always lay in the hen house so am finding this strange) we are doing work in the garden could it be stress??
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2009 9:46am (May 9th 2009)

You sometimes get strange eggs when a hen is spooked by something mid-egg-creation, or when they are coming into or finishing laying.

I would give them a couple of days peace and quiet and see if that improves the weird eggs, then at least you'll have an idea whether it was stress or not.

Also, if your hens stop laying in the nest box it can be a sign that it's not a nice place to be (damp, mites etc) - it might be worth checking to see if there's anything you've missed.

Hopefully it'll just be something simple like they got spooked by the lawn mower (it happens!)

Let us know what you find out, and if you still have problems...
    • CommentAuthorjoannec
    • CommentTimeMay 9th, 2009 7:40pm (May 9th 2009)

thank you for your reply, they seem happy enough so i think i will just keep an eye on them.
    • CommentAuthorBishBashBosh
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2009 6:31pm (Jun 1st 2009) edited

Hi, I've had some egg problems today. One of mine laid her third egg, but she still hasn't yet laid one in the nest box. I have my webcam on at work, so I saw her visit the coop a few times, but when I got home I found that she'd pushed the straw out of the nest box and laid an egg under the house which she must have sat on, because it's broken and she has grubby feathers on her lower chest. If I made them a shallow bath to sit in, do you think they'd use it?

Her first egg was laid on the other side of the garden in a bush, and the second in the same place under the house. My other hen doesn't have problem using the nest box, but today her egg was strangely almost white (usually they're brown).
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2009 9:17pm (Jun 1st 2009)

A hen likes to lay it's eggs in a secluded, private and safe spot.

If she feels like there is a better place nearby than your nest box, then that's what she'll use I'm afraid!

I would make the nest boxes as inviting as possible, maybe add some material hanging down cut into strips to give more privacy and darkness for laying...

But once a hen gets into the habit of not laying in the nest box, it can sometimes be hard to teach it where it should be laying!

As for the white egg, the outer coatings are the last things to be added to the eggs, and if a hen is scared or shocked (by anything - could be a loud noise or a dog in the garden etc), then it can disrupt this process and you get white or pale eggs, usually nothing to worry about.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2009 8:45am (Jun 2nd 2009)

Have you tried putting fake eggs into the nesting boxes. I have some green ornamental onyx eggs that were my Mums. I put them in the nesting boxes when I got my hens to give them the idea of where to lay. They have always used the boxes in fact I only took them out the other week when one of my hens went broody. Might be worth a try oh they dont have to be onyx !!!! you can buy the fake eggs are most feedstuff stores. I used them to save me having to buy any.
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd, 2009 1:46pm (Jun 2nd 2009)

We put a rubber joke egg in the nesting box if eggs start being trampled on when laid on the floor, and that got them laying up there again :)