• CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 6:51pm (May 21st 2009) edited

In a probably inevitable move, the council's anti-social behaviour team have confirmed that Elvis the parrot (who enjoyed flying freely around his home village during the day), was banned from Wilsden and is now living somewhere in Shropshire. :(

Wilsden is definitely a duller place without him...

I can't believe that some sour people have objected so strongly to the freedom which Elvis so rightly enjoyed. He brought fun and colour to the village and really made Wilsden stand out from other villages.

Any damage he did cause the owner offered to pay for, so I can't see that there was any problem - I'm honestly disappointed that we won't be seeing him flying around this summer with the sunlight gleaming off his colourful feathers.

I am truly disappointed that Elvis has really left the village...

note:
    I just heard that the 'straw that broke the camels back' was that Elvis swooped on an elderly gentleman and his 3 year old grandson and gave the kid nightmares.

I do feel sorry for the two involved, but come on, he didn't actually attack them - he was probably wanting to play (he loves attention) and they didn't recognise this. If he'd flown into them then I could understand it, but it sounds to me like they finally found the excuse they were looking for...
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 8:15pm (May 21st 2009)

Let your local paper know all about this Niel, see if they can make such a fuss that the objectors feel very very guilty at depriving your locallity of such an unusual asset.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 8:17pm (May 21st 2009)

Get yourself a flock of those Ausie budgies that fly free.
    Or try homing pigeons, lots...
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 8:52pm (May 21st 2009) edited

:tearhair:Miserable gits. :rant_red2:Why couldn't they just get the owners to keep him indoors?? It makes me SO CROSS that the kneejerk reaction is to ban things...whatever hapopened to discussing matters? Anyone else heard about some fool who bought a house next to the cricket club and is now trying to get it closed down because a ball went in his garden??:cursing:
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 8:57pm (May 21st 2009)

Posted By: ollie in UKLet your local paper know all about this Neil, see if they can make such a fuss that the objectors feel very very guilty at depriving your locallity of such an unusual asset.

It was the local paper that let me know ;)

I gave them a quote for the article they are writing about it...
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 10:45pm (May 21st 2009) edited

:rant: I am honestly gutted that Elvis has gone. Part of the enjoyment about sitting out in the summer was watching him fly around squawking, never knowing when he'd pop down for a play. You could always tell when he was about because someone would inevitably yell "ELVIS!!" and the cry would echo round the village :)

He brought BBQ's to life, waiting on the roof for any spare food :D And holding him was truly a surreal experience, it was only a few weeks ago he was sat on the garden wall and we were playing with blades of grass...now i'll probs never see him again, at least not round Wilsden :sad:

Thanks a lot you miserable gits - and as for the kid, maybe if you'd actually tried playing / interacting with him you wouldn't be afraid, but oh no lets just ban him from enjoying himself and ruin it for everyone...thanks :mad:
    • CommentTimeMay 21st, 2009 11:36pm (May 21st 2009)

I hate people like that - I bet Elvis was there before them. :mad:

Some people moved to live near a race track, complained about the noise, went to court, won the case, and now the track have been told no more noise! And they were fined and the others awarded costs. Pathetic. What did they THINK went on at a race track?!! It will probably have to close now. That'll be another site for a supermarket I suppose. Pah.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2009 2:34am (May 22nd 2009)

:iagree:

One of my friends argued "Yeah, but he did always swear..."

To which i replied, "I've known Elvis for years, have had frequent conversations with him, and never heard him swear. Have you?"

She just shrugged and went back to her work.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2009 9:22pm (May 22nd 2009)

Shame about Elvis. People here are exactly the same, like you Kate we have had race track and airport issues raised. It annoys me to tears when obvious common sense and good will is smothered by the "me me me" syndrome.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd, 2009 9:43pm (May 22nd 2009)

I cant believe what i've just read..
    People complaining about a parrot??
    Some people need to get a life... There so many things going on in the world right now n a parrot who says naughty things or not, that's not worth council kicking off about.

neil go council office in poo on their door step!!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 2:10am (May 23rd 2009) edited

Oh what a lot of poopy old buggars to send Elvis away like that. It makes me mad too, he is such a beautiful bird and anyone fortunate enough to interact with him is a lucky person indeed. There should be more birdies around like him, not less.If the grand dad had explained to the the little fella that Elvis was not an 'attack' bird and been allowed to meet him I am sure that would have helped.:elvis::elvis::elvis::elvis::elvis:
    You must be so disappointed Red and Neil, I feel for you guys.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 6:12am (May 23rd 2009)

This has made me soooo sad. I loved to hear Elvis. I think you need to elect a NEW COUNCIL there Neil... Poor Elvis. :elvis:
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 2:37pm (May 23rd 2009)

Really sad that Elvis has been made to leave Wilsden. It was great to see him, he is a beautiful bird. Could usually hear him as well. it was just great to have him around, flying free and just being a part of the village. I'm ashamed that there are people in the village, who have campaigned to have him removed. Shame on them, we have lost something very special in Elvis. I just hope that he lives a long and happy life in Shropshire, and that people are more tolerant of him there. I am among the many people of Wilsden that will miss him greatly.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 8:53pm (May 23rd 2009)

:welcome: GillyG...I'm glad people on here understand how sad it is that Elvis has been banished. The b*^%*&$s :mad:
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 10:10pm (May 23rd 2009)

Thanks Red....I think we share the same view regarding Elvis! Great site by the way, been viewing it for ages, but only just joined the forum. Its weird to think that hen cam is so famous and just up the road from me!
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd, 2009 10:58pm (May 23rd 2009)

I think the local tv folks would be a very interested. Make a good local news feature, especially if they can go and see Elvis at his new home too.
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:47am (May 24th 2009)

That would be great Ollie. Lots of us would love to be able to see where Elvis has gone, and to know that he is ok.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 1:29pm (May 24th 2009)

I bet they can't let him fly free there, though...what if he tried to fly home? :shocked:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 2:23pm (May 24th 2009)

Hey, apparantly Shropshire is round where i am now!! One of my friends lives there :)
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 5:03pm (May 24th 2009)

What's the name of Wilsden's local paper, Red/Neil/Gilly?
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 5:30pm (May 24th 2009)

Sorry to hear about Elvis every one
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 7:40pm (May 24th 2009)

Hi Chief. Its the Bradford Telegraph & Argus. They ran the story about Elvis being banished yesterday. thanks for support Nanny North.....Hello by the way!:cat2:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 8:40pm (May 24th 2009)

Hello there Gilly, nice to meet you. Sorry I didn't say it before but I have lost track of who I have said hello as so many people joined up about the same time and I haven't posted for a few days so have loads to catch up on.
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:28pm (May 24th 2009)

Thats ok Nanny, nice to meet you too. Haven't really got a clue who's who yet! Hope to get chance to get to :swingin:know everybody though! :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:43pm (May 24th 2009) edited

Posted By: GillyGHi Chief. Its the Bradford Telegraph & Argus. They ran the story about Elvis being banished yesterday. thanks for support Nanny North.....Hello by the way! :cat2:

Did you like the lovely picture of Scarlet? :D

She is most unhappy with me that I sent them it in to use...
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:46pm (May 24th 2009)

Great picture...one to cherish now Elvis has gone.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:48pm (May 24th 2009)

I think Scarlet's exact reaction when she saw the article was *roll eyes* "Daaaaaaaaaad!!! How could you!"
    • CommentAuthorGillyG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 10:50pm (May 24th 2009)

Ha ha ha Dad embarrasing daughter again eh!
    • CommentTimeMay 24th, 2009 11:02pm (May 24th 2009)

Oh yes, I'm becoming a master at it! :)
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 4:31am (May 25th 2009)

You showed all my uni friends the picture in the paper today!!! :mad:
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 10:53am (May 25th 2009)

Oh Bless. Dads are so proud of their daughters, make the most of it Red you got a real good Dad there.
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 11:08am (May 25th 2009)

:bear:hi scarlet its joe

take neil told you about the bearded dragon might be getting one
    better than a rabbit
    :chinchilla::elvis: no elvis
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 11:17am (May 25th 2009)

when you coming back from uni you said :chicken_catch:i should come back on the forum:cute-chick:
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 11:20am (May 25th 2009)

is'nt it cool to be in the paper

:cool:

:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeMay 25th, 2009 11:50pm (May 25th 2009)

Joe was bored this morning I think :)

He's on the lookout for a pet (he wanted a tortoise a few weeks ago), but then he was getting a rabbit, but I said he'd probably get bored of that, and suggested a bearded dragon, it can come out and sit on his shoulder while he's doing his homework on an evening...
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 12:51am (May 26th 2009)

And doesn't take much looking after..well not really... A good starter pet...
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 8:54am (May 26th 2009)

That would be real nice I hope he does get one
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 4:19pm (May 26th 2009) edited

Posted By: Joe:bear:hi scarlet its joe

take neil told you about the bearded dragon might be getting one
    better than a rabbit
    :chinchilla::elvis: no elvis

Oh yeah Joe, I was SO excited to hear about the possible pet! You really should get a beardy, they're supposed to make amazing pets...much better than a rabbit ;)

Posted By: Joewhen you coming back from uni you said :chicken_catch::cute-chick:

I officially get chucked out of Hawthorns on the 13th June (booo!) so will be coming back then I guess...the last few weeks are gonna be crazy. There's this thing called Woodstoke, where you pay £20 to get in then all the theme park rides are free, food is free, alcohol is free etc...REALLY GOOD!! It goes from 4pm to 4am and is in the Union car park :cool:

Posted By: Joeis'nt it cool to be in the paper

:cool:

:bigsmile:

Shurrit you! ;)
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 5:17pm (May 26th 2009)

Hmm... he has a 6 month 'cooling off' period, then if he still wants one - I think that's a good idea in case he gets bored of the idea (I'd have the beardy though - I love 'em!)

Was tickling a juvie on Sat, and they are very cute - was quite happy just to sit on my arm.

Oh, Scarlet, check your email (quite why I have to post on a public forum for you to check your email I don't know, but if I don't you'll never check it yourself will you!) - have texted too but there's no way to know if you saw it as YOU NEVER REPLY DUE TO BEING A CHEAPSKATE! ;)

Sent you important dates for your diary.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 11:02pm (May 26th 2009)

Posted By: neil

Would you like to explain that comment Neil before your wife sees it?!!!! :lol:
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 11:57pm (May 26th 2009)

I have cred on my phone now, AND i haven't had a text from you :confused:
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 4:55pm (May 27th 2009)

Posted By: Kateb
    Posted By: neil

Would you like to explain that comment Neil before your wife sees it?!!!!:lol:

Ahahaha!

A juvenile bearded dragon!! They like having their chins tickled... :)
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 6:19pm (May 27th 2009)

glad you put us all right about that Neil we were wondering.... just didn't want to look daft thats all Ha ha
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:32pm (May 27th 2009)

Beardies look like such great pets - if we didn't have James... ;)
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:39pm (May 27th 2009)

would they clash then Red ? who would eat who ?
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:44pm (May 27th 2009)

I think my mum would draw the line at one pet reptile, much as she loves them. They need pretty big vivs and all the equipment is pretty expensive...I want a hognose snake too, but that's a no no! :)

Not sure who would win in a beardy v corn fight...James is only little at the moment though!
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:45pm (May 27th 2009)

did you read the post about I might get a sid?
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:46pm (May 27th 2009)

Yes, I replied somewhere...I just rambled on about what good pets they make and how cute they are :)
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 7:47pm (May 27th 2009)

oh I will look for the post
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 12:16am (Aug 7th 2009) edited

Well I have some (sort of) sad news :( ...

Elvis has returned to the village. He is living in a local garden centre.

He spends his whole time in a cage now where he has no room to fly, and seems much more subdued. He didn't squawk once while i was there, the noisy parrot who loved to screech and shout his name is gone. He just stood on a perch and nibbled his food every now and then.

He escaped the day before yesterday and stayed out in the village the whole night, but came back the next morning for his breakfast :sad:

I think it's ever so sad that not only is he no longer flying round our village, but he's not even flying free at an animal sanctuary...in fact he can't fly at all! :mad::crying:

I was thinking about maybe writing to the manager of Woodbank, or maybe starting a petition or something. I just think it's really really sad.
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 12:19am (Aug 7th 2009)

I'll have to take a camera next time so i can grab a photo - he's well looked after I guess in that he has food and perches, but he's used to flying around a whole village. It's gotta be difficult for him, and he's had A LOT of changes in his life recently!
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 12:57am (Aug 7th 2009)

Oh poor Elvis!!..it seems so cruel to lock him away in a cage.:crying:
      CommentAuthorChicken Wing
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 10:54am (Aug 7th 2009)

Poor Elvis!! I feel so sad for him. I hate to see creatures like Elvis locked up in a cage with no room to be themselves.

"My heart goes out to him":crying:

:elvis:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 3:58pm (Aug 7th 2009)

So sad to see such a great spirit caged this way. I wish all the best for our dear boy.
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 7:05pm (Aug 7th 2009)

Poor Elvis. I hate people sometimes. :(
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 8:40pm (Aug 7th 2009)

Same here CC, Poor Elvis
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 11:42pm (Aug 7th 2009)

Ditto from me. I hope something can be done for him.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 10:32am (Aug 10th 2009)

sniff sniff, *gets out a tissue and snivels* that is really sad, he should be free, free to fly and swoop and go where he wants, what a shame for him.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 4:28pm (Aug 10th 2009)

Would the Argus And Wossname Telegraph be interested in a follwup?
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2009 8:20am (Sep 4th 2009)

Any more updates on Elvis?
    • CommentTimeSep 4th, 2009 7:52pm (Sep 4th 2009)

No, i believe he's here to stay at the garden centre now. They added some more branches and toys. I went to see him with Will and Lyle the other day and he flapped over to where i was stood and said hello a few times :P
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeSep 5th, 2009 2:20am (Sep 5th 2009) edited

Well at least you can go see him... not the same as being free though. Hopefully he will be well looked after there.