• CommentAuthorCrepe Lady
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 7:56pm (May 26th 2009) edited

Hello everyone! Just to introduce myself quickly as a Newbie! Happened upon your site yesterday and you all seemed like a quirky bunch so decided to apply!

I have 2 dogs, one cat, and I live in Bernard Matthews country -and have 12 ex-bat rescued hens, 8 since April and the other 4 since last Saturday! So I'll certainly be checking in often to ask for advice, no doubt, as this is the first time I have kept chickens. Really enjoying it but my, my, no one warned me how time consuming they are! Not as in difficult to keep but just no one warned me how fascinating they are! I take my coffee up to them and sit with them while I drink it and the next time I look it's lunchtime!:chicken: But they are keeping me "on my toes", especially when I try (usually without success!) to catch the little blighters!:chicken_catch:

So far the most eggs we have had in one day is 7 from 12 hens so I suspect that's not bad for starters, is it? One question I have is regarding one of my girls - she goes in the coop later than all the others in the morning, makes a great fuss about finding the right nest box, then stamps about moving the straw into just the right position:milly_hen: After about 15 mins she starts to squawk like she's laying a football - I can hear her from 200 yards easily! When I look in the coopy, she's standing up, neck stretched in the nest box shouting her head off. She then gets out (usually still very vocal!) and seems quite proud of herself. B~UT when I look - no egg! She's absolutely fine in herself, eating well and quite healthy. Any ideas:wink:anyone? Nice to be here, by the way!

Oh by the way, where is the hencam? I cant find how to view it?:confused:
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 8:11pm (May 26th 2009)

When you clock in to the main site, there is a row of words at the bottom under the picture; the first one on the left is 'hencam' - just hit that one.
    Nice to have you aboard, Crepe Lady (do you wear crepe or eat 'em?:D); I quite agree about the time-wasting aspect of chicken keeping - I only have 2 but it's v. restful watching them!
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 8:11pm (May 26th 2009)

PS We're not quirky...it's the others! :rolling:
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 9:51pm (May 26th 2009)

Hello there and welcome it is nice to meet you. When you get settled in we would love to see some photos for your dogs, cat and hens. I have no idea what your hen is up to they do have funny little ways. Maybe someone else can help you. I have one who shouts her head off when she has laid her egg, but the others don't say anything they just rush out for a beakfull of water.
    • CommentTimeMay 26th, 2009 10:43pm (May 26th 2009)

Welcome crepe lady!

It must be very daunting to make a 'first' post so well done for taking the plunge. I don't have any hens (2 cats and 2 rats only now) but love this site.

Your hen sounds like Tilly - she does the "big egg" song (as the folk on here call it) but doesn't lay much. At least she's getting into the spirit of things!!!

Are your hens ex-Bernard Matthews or does he only have turkeys?
    • CommentAuthorCrepe Lady
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 12:42am (May 27th 2009)

:wink:
    Posted By: Kateb

Are your hens ex-Bernard Matthews or does he only have turkeys?

Haha! He only has Turkeys, I believe!:bigsmile: But could be wrong! I got my ladies from Little Hen Rescue here in Norfolk, a very caring bunch of people who regularly rescue ex bats. Their latest rescue is of 10,000 hens:_ohmy: Yes that's TEN THOUSAND! So they are looking for new keepers. Any of you who havent yet got any ladies and would like some can contact them on littlehenrescue.co.uk - they have collection points at other points in teh country other than Norfolk.

The poor little things looked really sorry for themselves when we first got them, hardly any feathers, very nervous - we even had to put little knitted coats on them to keep them warm for a while! But within a couple of weeks, they were feathering up and sorting out the pecking order. They now come running to greet me when I go up to the hen house with treats in the afternoon:cool: They are really entertaining. I'll takea few photos of the newbie ones and post if I can figure out how! Thanks for the welcome!:045:
    • CommentAuthorCrepe Lady
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 12:53am (May 27th 2009)

:sun:PS I dont wear crepe, I make 'em (with my lovely free range eggies!)
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 1:18am (May 27th 2009)

Oh bless you for rescueing the poor things it just breaks my heart when I see and hear about them like that. I am trying to get my son to rescue some from the Little hen. I must mention it to him again.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th, 2009 2:38pm (May 27th 2009)

A lovely rescue story Crepe Lady and welcome to the mad world of hencam.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeMay 28th, 2009 12:17am (May 28th 2009)

Helllooooo Crepe Lady!!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st, 2009 1:19am (Jun 1st 2009)

:welcome:!

Sorry i only saw this now and am so late in welcoming you :)

The hen who stomps about and makes lots of noise is probably just enjoying the novelty of finally having somewhere nice to lay her eggs...also, is she the top of the pecking order? That can also be a reason for the yelling, she is letting the rest of the flock know that there is a safe nest nearby to lay eggs.

I'm glad you've rescued some ex-bats, they will be loving their new life! Glad you are enjoying them too, they are hilarious to watch and make great companions too :)

Ask away, we don't mind questions and will try and help in any way we can. Welcome again crepe lady!