• CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2009 6:13pm (Jun 10th 2009) edited

My friend has got some hens but she dont know what breed they are can you help

mod edit: fixed picture link, resized. neil
    • CommentTimeJun 10th, 2009 7:24pm (Jun 10th 2009)

No idea what they are, but they sure are beautiful!
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 4:10am (Jun 11th 2009) edited

Can't see the pic :(

Try copying the 'html' code if using photobucket, that may help...although not sure why I can't copy and paste the url... :confused:
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 7:54am (Jun 11th 2009)

Oh crumbs neither could I
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 8:18am (Jun 11th 2009)

here is the picture:
      Picture419.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 8:20am (Jun 11th 2009)

This is one more of the pictures of the pictures:
      Picture416.jpg
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 8:21am (Jun 11th 2009) edited

well done Lynn what a star you are, They are young but look similar to my Amber hen, so could be an Amber Hybrid.
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 11:48am (Jun 11th 2009)

Thanks everyone for doing the photos, Ive tryed to sort photothing, But its above my head.
    Anyway nn Do u think they are that breed??
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 3:35pm (Jun 11th 2009)

yes sure do
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 3:35pm (Jun 11th 2009)

Thanks i'll go and tell her..
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 5:43pm (Jun 11th 2009)

Yeah, I'd probably guess an Amber Star too. That's a toughie though, how old are they?? Do they just have normal combs?
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 6:26pm (Jun 11th 2009)

she has been told they will lay soon, so there not doing it at moment to young, dont know the age..
    • CommentAuthorsara
    • CommentTimeJun 11th, 2009 6:28pm (Jun 11th 2009)

Yes i think they are Amber stars.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2009 12:15pm (Jun 13th 2009) edited

Oohh CC..looook at thiiis one!! Its purple...ish!

• CommentTimeJun 13th, 2009 2:51pm (Jun 13th 2009)

:cry: I WANT ONE!!!:cry:Eriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic...
    • CommentTimeJun 13th, 2009 9:54pm (Jun 13th 2009)

Is that a maran hen Jonny? I love marans, for the pure fact that they are really lazy...that's my kinda chicken! :D
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2009 1:55am (Jun 14th 2009)

Posted By: RedIs that a maran hen Jonny? I love marans, for the pure fact that they are really lazy...that's my kinda chicken!:D

And they have the darkest brown eggs I've ever seen..they're beautiful.
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2009 2:04am (Jun 14th 2009)

Silly Red! I got it from the Amber Star link you posted...sigh... any ways:

"A Maran derived bird crossed with a barred Plymouth Rock. A very friendly bird and a good layer of large brown eggs. 15 pounds"
    • CommentTimeJun 14th, 2009 9:05am (Jun 14th 2009)

Hee hee that is so funny you are a card Jonny
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2009 2:26pm (Jun 15th 2009)

Hey, I only looked at the Amber Star! All these 'star' names confuse me... :spinface: I wonder what the difference between a 'Speckled Star' and a Maran is...?
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2009 10:47pm (Jun 15th 2009)

They are all Hybrid hens Red so it all depends on what types of chickens were crossed to produce that breed. Some breeders add the name star others leave it off.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 12:07am (Jun 16th 2009) edited

Uhuh, there are a lot of chicken cross-breeds that have more than one name...it's all very confusing. It's like how some people define Polish as their own specific breed whereas most agree it's a trait that is 'added' onto other breeds...
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 8:07am (Jun 16th 2009)

yes it is very confusing Red. The Hybrids of today certainly lay more eggs than the old fashioned back yard type of birds I had years back. Oh I forgot to tell you Dan's little bantum is still on her eggs. He is clearing part of a stable for her and the chicks so the dog don't get them this time.