• CommentAuthormustangsally
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2009 1:15pm (Jun 15th 2009)

Just wondering whether it is safe to take the netting from round my raised bed now everything is growing really well! I kept the girls off it when I first planted all my seeds, am I best to keep them off it completely?

Also, have been considering getting some ducks, but spoke to someone the other day who said if they're not happy they'll just fly off! Will the chickens be ok with them if i did do it and also if I go to the hassle of digging them a pond etc will they just buggar off if they're not happy? My girls have nearly half my garden (which is v big) all to themselves so there is loads of room!

Thanks
    Sal
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2009 2:21pm (Jun 15th 2009)

The ducks will be fine with your hens, Sally, after a few scuffles! Our chicks that we raised last year now happily live with some ducks :)

Not sure if the ducks will fly away if they're not happy, having never had them myself, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Um...I wouldn't advise removing the netting unless you absolutely have to, as chooks do love destroying vegetable patches - just ask my mum!! :D You can give it a try and watch them closely, but in my experience veg patches have tended to be destroyed very quickly :P
    • CommentTimeJun 15th, 2009 8:31pm (Jun 15th 2009)

You can clip the ducks' wings; my friend has a wild mallard who has been with her 6 years now and is totally tame; lives in the house and sits on the settee to watch the horse racing in the afternoons...
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 6:40am (Jun 16th 2009)

Sara, only a few types of domestic ducks can fly..you could always clip their wings if you get the kind that fly. I've got Runner ducks right now that are with my big chickens during the day and they get along fine.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 7:35am (Jun 16th 2009)

They will love you even more if you take the netting off Sally. They will think oh look we can go on there now and get dug in. I have only got some potatoes in my veg plot at the moment. I grow runner beans up a couple of arches but they still managed to scratch one lot up, even though I put all the old leeks round them for disguise. Mine don't care for leeks thank goodness so I can still put them in. I haven't been able to fence it all off from them so far this year. But will get there eventually.
    • CommentTimeJun 16th, 2009 10:12pm (Jun 16th 2009)

My son's partner's mom has ducks in her garden - they've recently hatched some chicks. She says that as long as they're happy they won't leave. They've had ducks for a while (some of them left and went to a local reservoir), and used a paddling pool at first til they got a pond.
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2009 12:47am (Jun 17th 2009)

Thats interesting about the ducks leaving I didnt know about that. My Nan used to keep ducks and hens together. But I don't know much about them.
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2009 12:04pm (Jun 17th 2009)

Hello Mustangsally. Seriously, the last thing you want to do is uncover your veggies!! Beds of lovely fresh green leaves is like a MacDonalds drive-through for chooks. Mine even learned to balance on the top of the wobbly trellis panels and pull the tender leaves through the netting stretched across the top until I raised the trellis height. Then they found a hole in the fence and went on the rampage next door. Luckily our neighbour was on holiday for a couple of weeks so we had time to do damage repair and sneakily replace the plants that were completely destroyed.
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2009 4:17pm (Jun 17th 2009)

Posted By: volkaBeds of lovely fresh green leaves is like a MacDonalds drive-through for chooks.

Except with edible food instead of...:D
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2009 10:57pm (Jun 17th 2009)

I picked one of my hens up the other day and she absolutely stank of onions... then I saw what was left of my chive patch!
    • CommentTimeJun 17th, 2009 11:09pm (Jun 17th 2009)

:rolling: I've done that with Milly before...