• CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 1:54pm (Jun 27th 2009)

The new chick seems to have its entrails hanging out of its bum. There's blood. A trailing string of stuff that was there earlier isn't there now. What can I do? Is it best to let nature take its course? Why did this happen - anyone know? :(
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 5:52pm (Jun 27th 2009)

Oh I hope Red reads this soon. I hope Nugget is ok. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 7:34pm (Jun 27th 2009)

Too late; it was a prolapse. I did what the book told me (don't ask, Diane - FAR worse than runny poo) but found Nugget dead. :(
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 7:49pm (Jun 27th 2009)

I'm so sorry CC - I didn't know that could happen to chicks. Are there still more to hatch? Will Livia grieve for Nugget?
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 9:05pm (Jun 27th 2009)

When she was away from the hutch, dustbathing, I took the body away. She ran round squawking for a few seconds then just went in and sat on the remaining eggs; she doesn't seem at all distressed now.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th, 2009 10:41pm (Jun 27th 2009)

That's good. Maybe she thinks its been taken by a predator? Instinct would tell her to concentrate on the 2 remaining eggs I suppose. I hope they hatch soon.
    • CommentAuthorhqtrev
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2009 2:30am (Jun 28th 2009)

I hope you have better luck with the other 2 CC.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2009 5:05am (Jun 28th 2009)

Oh, CC I'm so sorry to hear about the sad news of dear little Nugget. I hope there will be a couple more chicks for Livia to raise.:sad:
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2009 12:32pm (Jun 28th 2009)

So do I...but I'm not sure I can stand the strain! :\ :)
    • CommentTimeJun 28th, 2009 11:17pm (Jun 28th 2009)

I'm so sorry about that CC :(

That happens when something goes wrong with the humidity in the hatch, I think, but can't remember what. Sadly though there's not much you can do, they either make it or they don't. Sorry to hear the sad news though.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 2:36am (Jun 29th 2009)

In the hatch? During the actual hatching of the chick you mean? It's been hellishly humid here - do you think that could do it? If so, any other hatchlings will be in the same trouble...:(
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 10:13pm (Jun 29th 2009)

No, during the incubation period sorry...Scotty was the same when we hatched him in the 'bator last year, but luckily he wasn't so bad so he was able to absorb it back into his body.

Only Scotty was affected with our chicks that survived, the others were all perfectly healthy so fingers crossed any other chicks at yours' will be fine too :001_smile: Any sign of other yet??
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2009 3:19pm (Jun 30th 2009)

No...I'm just humouring her really. She started sitting on the 4th of June. Do I just let her do what she wants rather than forcing her off the nest?
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2009 8:24pm (Jun 30th 2009)

We've always left our girls to get over broodiness on their own, as long as their health isn't suffering. Just make sure food and water is nearby. Oh, and you might want to get rid of the eggs at some point so that they don't explode...
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2009 8:27pm (Jun 30th 2009)

Well it might serve as aversion therapy if they DID explode...:rolling: She'd never go broody again!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2009 8:28pm (Jun 30th 2009)

Haha!! Yeah but then no more chances of female frizzle chicks ;)

Unless you get an incubator and then you could hatch out hundreds!!!
    • CommentTimeJun 30th, 2009 8:30pm (Jun 30th 2009)

well, Sam The Chicken Man has an incubator and said he'd hatch them for me. But I would keep wondering what happened to them all...specially the boys...:(
    • CommentTimeJul 4th, 2009 8:58pm (Jul 4th 2009)

Hoiked Livia off the nest today, and shut her out of the hutch. She followed me round the garden screaming (I know the chicken for 'Bitch Queen from Hell' now, if anyone's interested...) and when I opened up and cleaned the hutch out a few hours later she shot in there like a bullet. I hoiked her out again - more screaming. They've gone to bed now...but do I evict her and lock her out again tomorrow? If so, how long should I do it for? She's very pale around the face and comb so I fed her egg and a little ham fat plus the usual corn and some fruit. Is there such a thing as a tonic for a chicken? :D
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 1:44am (Jul 5th 2009)

You can put ice cubes under her, but i've never been able to do that to a chuck...

Can you lock the laying box?! That would help her get over it...keep lifting her off if not...and when she does settle, offer her her favourite treats to persuade her to get off! :bigsmile:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 2:09am (Jul 5th 2009)

CC - the image is priceless. I do hope things settle down for the two of you soon though.
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 2:49pm (Jul 5th 2009)

I'm locking the hutch during the day and trying to wheedle my way back into Livia's affections by cravenly offering treats. She looks at me as though I were something she'd trodden in and screams like a Victorian virgin if I go near her...:cry: Nobody loves me...nobody chicken-shaped, anyway...:)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 3:28am (Jul 6th 2009)

I'm chicken-shaped and I love you. :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 3:40am (Jul 6th 2009)

I love you too CC and I am more duck shaped!!!:heartbounce:
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 6:51am (Jul 6th 2009)

We all love you CC, in time Livia will love you again too.
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 3:55pm (Jul 6th 2009)

Ah, thanks, chaps! Livia's still walking wide rings round me though!:)
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 5:03pm (Jul 6th 2009)

At least Livia goes broody CC, none of our lot will :glare:

I WANTED CHICKS THIS SUMMER!!!

But i'm not allowed to hatch them in an incubator, and none of the girls will go broody...I think that's the only way i could persuade my parents to let me have chicks again: if someone went broody (PROPERLY broody, Milly! :mad: ) and we could let them bring the chicks up...but alas no :(
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 2:28pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Help, one of my chooks looks a bit under the weather, she's just been standing hunched up for a couple of days and not eating or drinking, her eyes are bright, and she does walk (slowly) around the garden. Her poop is runny and milky white, can't find anything in our books, advice would be greatly appreciated. The others are not showing any signs of ill health and are very lively. The poorly one (Ashleigh) is 16 weeks old the youngest of the three but no signs of bullying.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 5:48pm (Jul 7th 2009)

I've started a new thread sgelder in the animal care section so more people might read and help - hope that's okay, i'll reply too though not sure i can help much :)
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:33pm (Jul 8th 2009)

How's Livia, CC? Friends again yet? :)
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 5:17pm (Jul 9th 2009)

Yes, she's - sort of - forgiven me, I think! I leave the hutch open but she doesn't try and go back in after I let them out in the morning now.:)