• CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 6:12pm (Jun 29th 2009)

Well just come back from the vets with one of the girls who has a droopy wing - thought she might have dislocated it, but the vet thinks its probably Marek's Disease. Having looked it up on the internet I now think my girl that can only see out of one eye now has it. I know there isn't much I can do but wondered if anyone had any experience of it? T.
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 10:21pm (Jun 29th 2009) edited

Oh I'm really sorry to hear that Tracy :(

I've not experience with the disease, but i know some of the symptoms are paralysis of wings and legs most commonly, if the chicken is acting depressed, or poor eyesight and blindness...If one hen has it there is a good chance the others do...

Did the vet says if your hens had a good chance of survival?? I have my fingers crossed for you...
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 10:30pm (Jun 29th 2009) edited

Oh hey hey, lookie I just read this:

Hypericum must be diluted before it can be used:

Hypericum tablets can be bought from Health Food Shops and are believed to be effective in helping chickens survive Marek's disease. It's unknown whether this is a cure to the disease, or whether it simply allows them to survive the disease but continue to be a carrier for the rest of their lives.

To try save a chicken with Marek's disease, buy yourself some Hypericum tablets and do the following:

- mix 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)

- MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)

- drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work

- treat every 12 hours (morning and night) with a fresh batch

- recovery may be as quick as 1 day or as slow as several months

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You only need to treat birds showing symptoms of the disease, although I don't think treating the others will hurt either. Check with your vet, are they on any other medication?

A few people have tried this, and one persons' vet did some research and agreed that it could help the bird survive, if not cure it...might be worth a try to save your feathered friends anyway. Hope it helps :)
    • CommentTimeJun 29th, 2009 11:37pm (Jun 29th 2009)

Gosh Red, I can see you with your couldron and pointy hat, cooking up potions for all ills!!
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2009 4:33pm (Jul 2nd 2009)

Hi TracyB,

I really hope that things aren't as bad as they sound - the one good thing is that I think Marek's isn't a notifiable disease so you don't need to let the authorities know (at which point they'd probably destroy the whole flock).

The most common signs of Marek's are lameness (often a hen will sit with one leg forward and one leg stretched back), but still be alert and feed if food is placed near.

There is a vaccination available but it's given at 1 day old and then again at 2-4 weeks and provides 80% to 90% protection in case of an outbreak.

Unfortunately the recommendation is to destroy all birds showing symptoms, but as Scarlet has pointed out some people have had success with other remedies.

Please let us know how you get on, and our thoughts are with your little one.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd, 2009 7:56pm (Jul 2nd 2009)

Thanks everyone.

The vet says because they are ex-battery it may be that she just got missed as a chick so hopefully the rest will be OK. Because it is a virus that creates tumours in the nerves she isn't in pain and she seems fine in herself and still runs to the gate with the rest of the gang everytime someone arrives. I'll have a look at getting some hypericum and let you know how we get on. Vet advises just keeping an eye on her and see how we get on. T.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd, 2009 1:58am (Jul 3rd 2009)

Good luck Tracy, we're all behind you :heart:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:21pm (Jul 7th 2009)

I've been up to see the girls and the last couple of times potty's wing doesn't seem to be so out of place. However, do seem to have a chicken with a broken (or at least not right) middle toe, its a bit crocked and its quite swollen and red where its crocked.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 10:43pm (Jul 7th 2009)

I'm so chuffed your girl is looking a bit better :hurray:

As for the broken toe, you can try splinting it if you want (involves bandaging and taping the toe so that it has no choice but to stay straight) However the problem with chickens is that these are often ripped off when they are scratting in the garden!!

Try taking her to a chicken-friendly vet and see if they can design anything more 'chicken proof' :)

Is she able to walk on it, and scratch as normal?
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 6:24pm (Jul 8th 2009)

yes she seems OK, she stills runs to the gate, but she does look a bit strange when she does, she limps and if she's going to stay in one place such as eating corn she prefers to lie down. My other half thinks I'm bonkers for taking them to the vet - I might give them a call and see if they can suggest anything over the phone. Quick question about hencam - don't seem tobe able to get any pics from the hencam, (not very good at this so its probbaly really easy) T.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 7:01pm (Jul 8th 2009)

Chickens are pets, same as any others, and they're part of the family too. It's not bonkers at all, if anything it's the logical solution ;)

Hencam isn't working for you? Hmm how odd I have a picture... :confused:

Try a refresh and if it's still not working pop over to the 'help' page (located on the menu underneath the box where the hencam picture should be!) and see if that helps. If the cam still isn't working let me know and I'll ask my dad if he has any advice :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:03pm (Jul 8th 2009)

Posted By: TracyB My other half thinks I'm bonkers for taking them to the vet

Just wait until HE'S ill...make him beg!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 8:03pm (Jul 9th 2009)

Not doing well with the chickens this week - one seems better, one with a broken toe and one now seems to be limping worse than the one with the broken toe - ringing the vets first thing in themorning to see if I can get the pair of them in.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 10:23pm (Jul 9th 2009)

You'll have to buy 'em all steel toecaps at this rate...hope they're all all right, Tracey. What sort of surface do they have in their pen/hutch to walk on?
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 10:52pm (Jul 9th 2009)

Yikes!

Good luck at the vets hope they can help :bighug:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2009 4:34pm (Jul 13th 2009)

They have concrete in thier house with lots of straw and then the run is all grass with a few nice dusty spots now.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2009 4:42pm (Jul 13th 2009)

so an update on the vet visit, one of the girls may have a broken toe but because of the swelling its difficult to tell, we hav to inject her with antibiotics for 10 days, the onther one vet had a good feel and couldn't feel anything different so not sure about her. The one that is having antibiotics we can't eat her eggs for 17 days so we have had to split the run up. We've put both the limping ones together in the smaller run (they still have around 10x10 but it will stop them running around on thier poorly feet. Both seem to be a bit better, thier friends call still all see them so hopefully they wont get picked on when they go back together.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2009 9:24pm (Jul 15th 2009)

Here's a quick question - what time do other peoples "girls" go to bed at the moment. Trying to work out if my girls a dirty stop outs or just normal. If I go to shut them up at about 9:30 there are still 4-6 of them out but by 9:50 ish they've all gone in?
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2009 11:01pm (Jul 15th 2009)

Mine go in just before dusk.
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 11:35am (Jul 16th 2009)

Maud took her little ones into their shed at exactly 9:00 yesterday, as if she's bought herself a clock. The big chickens go to their shed a bit later.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 4:30pm (Jul 16th 2009)

She might have done...have you seen an Argos/Next catalogue lying around the pen?
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 2:31am (Jul 19th 2009)

Mine often stand outside waiting for the exact moment they deem it proper to go in. They usually do it when I when I want to go to bed early Ha ha
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 2:43am (Jul 19th 2009)

I'm afraid mine get driven in with The Rabbit Stick if my bedtime comes before theirs...lots of indignant squawking!
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 2:48am (Jul 19th 2009)

Ha ha mine are to quick for me and I become the object of a good game to them.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 3:06am (Jul 19th 2009)

That's why I need The Rabbit Stick; gives me extra reach!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 12:08pm (Jul 19th 2009)

I decided that I'll go with what ever time they want to go to bed as its much easier than chsaing them round and round - if there are four out and both Gary and I go up we still don't stand a chance. One of the neighbours came up to the kitchen garden with me last night to see what "puttign them to bed" involves so I've got another fall back if we are away and Rosie (another neighbour) is aw well. T.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 10:31pm (Jul 19th 2009)

Anybody know when the girls go in??

When it's almost-dark :) I know they'll stay up later if there's people in the garden...
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2009 3:33am (Jul 20th 2009)

Ah, that's pure nosiness...if mine have gone to bed and I come out to put the rabbits away, Livia & Onion often come out to watch me chasing and swearing at the rabbits. I think it's a spectator sport for them.