CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 5:46pm (Jul 5th 2009) edited

Any farmers out there? I had four beautiful rows of corn - all "knee high on the 4th of July." Or, they all would have been but something is coming in the night and breaking them off at the base. At first it would eat the leaves, leaving just a little stub sticking out of the ground. Now it just breaks the stalks and leaves them. Only about 6 of my babies are left. Sob. I put up a deer barricade-but maybe not a good enough one. Then a rabbit fence. This morning only one plant was broken but the animal had to get inside the fencing to do it. Also a rock weighing about ten pounds had been moved six inches. Would raccoons to this kind of thing? What about crows?
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 7:12pm (Jul 5th 2009)

Praps it was a corn dog...

CommentAuthorAce
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 7:31pm (Jul 5th 2009)

Posted By: chief chickenPraps it was a corn dog...

ROFLYSST. :rolling:
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 8:19pm (Jul 5th 2009) edited

Are there any prints or poops about anywhere Diane?

Deer would eat the corn but leave the stalks standing. Could be raccoons I guess though don't know anything about them obviously, squirrels (though they aren't that strong) , rabbits...

How high are (were :P ) your corns?
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJul 5th, 2009 8:21pm (Jul 5th 2009)

Posted By: DianeonWhidbeyAlso a rock weighing about ten pounds had been moved six inches.

Sounds big!

Were the stocks broken or chewed?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 3:26am (Jul 6th 2009)

Posted By: chief chickenSorry about your corn, cherub. But don't call 'em babies - not if you're going to eat 'em! :S
    I'm not going to eat them. Just their ears! :P

Red 'n Jonny the stalks were chewed at about a half inch from the ground. Initially (when the attack was happening in the first row, and these were a bit smaller so maybe more tender) the Whatever was eating a lot of the leaves. That lasted one day. After that it seemed to be snapping them off just to show me it still could. And I would add new and more creative (meaning ridiculous) fencing and then the next morning - more murder. And so on. I spent the day today transplanting the 8 or so remaining plants, and also almost all the little stubs (couldn't bear not to give them a chance...) into Holly's fenced yard (five foot fence in chicken wire.) The corn 'field' is now two little rows inside the dog yard, with its own foot high fence around it. It was a crazy use of the day - since, with so few of them, there is little chance they will pollinate and therefore won't grow any ears. But. I couldn't take another morning of bearing witness to the hideous massacre that took place under the cover of darkness...

Oh! And no poop or prints. Which is really strange. Rabbits seem to find it impossible to rob gardens without eliminating and deer leave pretty obvious prints. If they are attacked again tonight I'm going to start looking with furrowed brows at the crows.

CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 5:10am (Jul 6th 2009)

Perhaps it was a team effort...the ultimate in animal co-operation...perhaps a infra-red corn-cam is in order!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 5:50pm (Jul 6th 2009)

I thought about the good old fashioned - sleeping out there. :P Well, I think the transplant worked. All of them are looking beautiful and untouched this morning. It the movement of the big stone that really puzzles me, Jonny. Can't really think of a corn eating animal that could do that...
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 6:49pm (Jul 6th 2009) edited

Domino can move bricks and, once, a boulder with her head providing they are on soil / grass and not concrete...she shifted a boulder that i couldn't lift...I think most animals are much stronger than we give them credit for, they just hide it well :-\
    • CommentTimeJul 6th, 2009 7:58pm (Jul 6th 2009)

My rabbits throw quite large lumps of wood around if they're in their way.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 4:50am (Jul 7th 2009)

Mystery solved then. There were two things I couldn't fathom - one was the weight of the stone and the other was WHY move it. But from a bunny's eye view of the world, I can see it. And, this year's rabbits are 3 times the size of the normal Whidbey Island wild rabbit. Maybe my corn is safe in the dog yard then. The rabbits can't get in there. :) Thanks guys!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 8:47am (Jul 7th 2009)

It was moved because it was there!

If humans can think in that light then surely animals do too.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:15pm (Jul 7th 2009)

LOL. That must be it. :)
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:17pm (Jul 7th 2009)

My rabbits certainly do...Paul who came to fit new windows in the music room complained (smiling) that rabbits were throwing his tools & bits of wood around. Because they were 'on MY patio', we think.:\
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:18pm (Jul 7th 2009)

PS I meant to say, Diane; when I first saw this thread I thought perhaps you were in need of a good chiropodist...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:35pm (Jul 7th 2009)

No - going barefoot a lot of the time keeps my feet pretty well sanded down. :P