• CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 1:24pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Naturally, I am slightly panicking as we just lost Ruby to a possible broken shell but the girls all look bright and perky this morning, shouting loudly to be let out and eating quite voraciously.

We had three eggs yesterday (normally have four) so that accounts for the one shell-less yesterday but our girls all lay in the afternoon so where did this morning's come from?

Hubby tasked with chicken-watch and egg-collecting duties today.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:11pm (Jul 7th 2009) edited

Sounds like a 'shell-less' egg, volka? :)

These usually aren't anything to worry about, and are generally just 'one of those things' that happen every now and then in the chicken world - Tilly once produced a shell-less egg, then stood on it and ended up wearing it like a slipper!!

They often happen at the beginning or end of a laying cycle, but can also be the result of a hen being disturbed (eg. by noises in the garden) whilst laying an egg. This causes the egg to be laid before calcification of the egg is complete.

Sometimes they're a sign of nutritional deficiencies, but if your hens are eating the right food then that should be nothing to worry about.

They can, rarely, be a sign of disease so keep an eye out for other symptoms!

As for laying, it takes 26 - 28 hours for a chicken to produce an egg, so naturally they are not going to lay an egg every day or always in the afternoon / at the same time. Hope this helps!
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:20pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Posted By: Red Tilly once produced a shell-less egg, then stood on it and ended up wearing it like a slipper!!

I wish you'd taken a pic of that one, Red...:D
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 6:24pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Well, the 26-28 hours thing makes perfect sense - I didn't know that and was wondering why the eggs were getting later and later each day! Thought I just had very laid back hens!

I'm not too worried about the shell-less-ness-ness-ness but am concerned that if I don't catch them in time, the girls will start eating the eggs.

I've heard cider vinegar in the water might help. Any suggestions on dosage, please?
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 9:04pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Posted By: chief chicken
    Posted By: RedTilly once produced a shell-less egg, then stood on it and ended up wearing it like a slipper!!

I wish you'd taken a pic of that one, Red...:D

I was only about thirteen at the time, it was before hencam :)

To prevent egg eating, try getting your girls to lay their eggs in a nice dark place so the eggs don't stand out as much and look so yummy! Collecting eggs as regularly as possible also helps, as then there's less chance for them to be eaten!! Finally, dotting fake eggs here and there can prevent egg eating - you can use rubber 'joke' eggs, pot eggs, golf balls etc...

Do your chucks eat eggs?

As for the Apple Cider Vinegar, it known to be beneficial to chickens...improves their general well being, can help prevent worms, can 'cure' mystery illnesses in chickens...

For ill chucks the ratio is 10% to their water.
    As a general tonic, the ratio is 5% ACV to their water.

Hope that helps.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 9:06pm (Jul 7th 2009)

I'm really tired so sorry the post is a little messy and scattered... :)
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 12:29am (Jul 8th 2009)

Looks fine to me Red..no worries..
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 6:58pm (Jul 8th 2009)

Thanks Jonny :blush:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 2:36pm (Jul 9th 2009)

Red - no, the chooks don't eat the eggs but I'd rather prevent than cure! I didn't explain myself very clearly. We had shell-less eggs when they first started laying and they were like jelly eggs. However, the two I found in the garden were like someone had cracked them open into a frying pan - no "skin" to hold them together?

One of the birds was having a go at the yolk but I shooed her away and put the hose on it. The other egg I washed away before they noticed it. Having said that, we're back to four normal eggs so maybe it was just one of those things!
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 10:49pm (Jul 9th 2009) edited

Ahhhhh i see, thanks for clarifying :)

Hmm that is most peculiar then...It's unusual for the chickens to eat the shell and leave the eggs' innards - that's usually their favourite bit! No shells at all...? And definitely not a shell-less egg where the film had burst? *is stumped* :confused1:
      CommentAuthorVictoria
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 12:07pm (Jul 16th 2009)

Hmm... When I clicked on a thread called 'Egg Yolks' I expected a page of egg-and-chicken-related bad jokes and puns.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 3:32pm (Jul 16th 2009)

I think it's likely it was just a shell-less egg...

Anyway, why did the egg cross the road?
    Because it had an inclination.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 4:29pm (Jul 16th 2009)

What do you call a chicken in a shell suit?
    A chick.

Sorry, told that before, but it always tickles me...
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 2:32pm (Jul 27th 2009) edited

Hen detectives
      hen-detective-cartoona.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 7:19pm (Jul 27th 2009)

:rolling:
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 9:25am (Jul 28th 2009)

me too:rolling:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 7:33pm (Jul 28th 2009)

We've had out first shell-less egg today - very stange thing to pick up it was too. Puttign this one down to a fluke or beign disturbed as each of hte nest boxes has plent of oyster shell available.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 7:59pm (Jul 28th 2009)

Talking of which; of my two hens that are laying, and have been on and off for two weeks now, one is only laying double yolked eggs and the other is only laying soft shelled. Not sure which is doing which yet. The soft shelled ones are perfectly formed and have a very bright glow to them. My daughter, Helen, thinks that our chickens are as weird as the family they have joined. Ashleigh runs around the house as though she owns it.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 9:08pm (Jul 28th 2009)

What do you mean 'as THOUGH she owns it'??? I think you'll find that she does. Particularly if she has gained control of the telly's remote control...
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 9:20pm (Jul 28th 2009)

Oh yes she's in control - watching a re-run of House at the moment, not fair, I know the outcome of the poor patient.

Just found a yolk in the bottom of the coop, no shell - it's sealed in a membrane, lying on the floor unbroken. Think we need House to diagnose this anomoly.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 9:22pm (Jul 28th 2009) edited

Posted By: volkaI have a question. Yesterday evening and again this morning, I found an egg yolk still in the clear albumen in the flower bed but no sign of broken shell.

Hubby tasked with chicken-watch and egg-collecting duties today.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Hi Volka

Just backread a couple of posts, having the same problem here at the moment, but apparently after some research on the web it really isn't a problem, quite natural and nothing to worry about. Just strange to me. It's not unusual for a chicken to drop a yolk a couple of hours after an egg, In our case a soft shelled egg at that.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2009 11:00am (Jul 29th 2009)

They'll get the hang of it eventually :-)

It just takes hens a bit of practice...