• CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 5:43pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Posted By: sgelderHelp, one of my chooks looks a bit under the weather, she's just been standing hunched up for a couple of days and not eating or drinking, her eyes are bright, and she does walk (slowly) around the garden. Her poop is runny and milky white, can't find anything in our books, advice would be greatly appreciated. The others are not showing any signs of ill health and are very lively. The poorly one (Ashleigh) is 16 weeks old the youngest of the three but no signs of bullying.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 5:58pm (Jul 7th 2009) edited

Okay, first things first not eating and drinking is really not a good sign in chickens, try get her to the vets ASAP :confused:

Are her wings and tail pointed down towards the ground? That's a good sign she's feeling unwell...

Has she laid an egg before? I know she's young, but it's possible she has become eggbound. Have a feel and see if you can feel an egg anywhere, it's quite common for young pullets to have trouble getting the first egg out. A quiet dark place could help with this, or a warm relaxing soak in a bath / hot steam...

How is her crop? She could have 'sour crop,' which they get when they eat too much long grass and it causes a blockage. Easiest way to check this is, first thing in the morning before she has a had a chance to eat, feel her crop and it should be empty. If it is full and 'squishy' or full and hard, it's likely she has a blocked crop...Usually her breath will smell bad if she has this, so check her breath!

Try worming all of them - if they have worms it will help, if they don't it's a good preventative measure! Worms could be causing the weird poop as well - Flubenvet and DE are good to use (do a search in the forum for both and it should bring up some info ;) )

Try feeding her plain live yoghurt.

You need to get her drinking and eating, that is really important and could make the difference between life and death. Adding sugar to their water can help, try get some of that down her, also Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to be good for unblocking things in the crop...

Get her help as quickly as possible, i hope she makes a full recovery :heart:
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 7:39pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Hi Red
    We noticed her vent was puckering, so gave her a warm bath and put olive oil around her vent, at the moment she is in an old wicker basket in our bedroom, she is making a god awful noise, think she's scared.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 8:50pm (Jul 7th 2009) edited

Does sounds like she has become eggbound but don't take my word for it - an eggbound hen will act depressed, their vent will pucker and drip out a clear or white liquid a the egg needs to (safely) expelled from the body as quickly as possible. Keep her nice and oiled up and in a dark quiet place. Is she a friendly hen, will you being there help calm her?

Libby, our hen who was sister to Penny and Tilly, died from being eggbound. We didn't spot the symptoms in time, and when we got her to the vets it was too late - the egg had resulted in blood poisoning and she died.

Hope you're able to get help for her :heart:
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 9:50pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Get well soon little Ashleigh. :heart:
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 10:21pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Thanks, how often to we need to use the oil, I hate waking her up. and shocking her with a pippette.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 10:31pm (Jul 7th 2009)

No idea, sorry - anybody else know?? :confused:

Try another bath if there is still no egg - keep her in the warm bath for 20 - 30 mins, this gives her time to relax and her bottom too! From what i've heard baths seem to be the most effective thing at getting an eggbound hen to lay...
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 10:44pm (Jul 7th 2009)

Thanks Red I'll try that the first thing in the morning. She's in our bedroom at the moment sleeping soundly. Just hope the misus doesn't keep her awake with her snoring.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th, 2009 10:47pm (Jul 7th 2009)

:rolling:

I really hope there's an egg waiting for you when you wake up in the morning, sgelder...
    :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 12:02am (Jul 8th 2009)

Can you call the emergency vet for advice? I've done that a couple of times for the rats and it at least makes you feel like you're doing something useful. I hope she feels better soon. x
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 5:55pm (Jul 8th 2009)

• CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 6:51pm (Jul 8th 2009) edited

Posted By: sgelderWell we didn't wake up to an egg this morning, and the vet doesn't have a clue, but at least she is eating and drinking, she has taken quite a liking to cottage cheese, but still has RP her tail and wings are drooping still but she is moving around easily.. I think she likes our bedroom. I'll keep her here for a few days so I can keep a real close eye on her.

WHAT?!

The vet doesn't have a clue?? Are they just not used to treating chickens? It's taken us a while to find 'chicken friendly' vets before...

Can't s/he refer you to a competent vet who is able to treat chickens? Sheesh, that makes me so ANGRY!! Sorry, but i get really annoyed when vets don't know how to treat a pet, or say there is no treatment, and then you go somewhere else and get a completely different answer... :mad:

Keep doing what you're doing, sgelder. Glad she has got used to being in your bedroom, but sorry to hear there's still no egg and the wings & tail are down...keep it up with the warm baths, and maybe oil her vent after each bath??

Can you see / feel an egg anywhere?
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 10:21pm (Jul 8th 2009)

Can't feel an egg anywhere, but if there is one it shouldn't be long with the warm baths and oil, she is getting quite used to the pampering and time in our bedroom, just hope there is no problem reintroducing her to the others when she is well again. I'm building a really big chicken house over the next few days, I might wait until it is finished and put them all in together.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:14pm (Jul 8th 2009) edited

The longer the egg is in there though the higher the likelihood the chicken will die. Is there no way you could get her to another vet at all? Maybe call around the vets asking which ones will be able to offer advice / treat her?

"Egg binding can lead to death within only twelve hours because the bird is in great pain and totally exhausted" - after this amount of time it's unlikely she will get the egg out on her own no matter what you do...if she does she is one lucky hen! You might have to 'have a feel'...if there is an egg up there you could try cracking it to get it out in pieces, but that leaves a slim chance of survival due to shock...

A chicken friendly vet is a really good idea. Although i am glad she is eating and such. Good luck with her and with the new coop - wish I was allowed a new coop :001_smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:23pm (Jul 8th 2009)

If the oil and warm baths don't shift the egg very quickly, then I strongly recommend you find a vet who is capable of treating poultry (possibly find if there are any farmyard animal vets).

We had an egg-bound hen - the first thing we noticed was she was having problems walking, she hadn't laid the previous day, but that wasn't too out of the ordinary as they didn't lay every day, that same morning we were rushing her to the vets and she just died on the way there, it was horrible - they get blood poisoning due to the egg stuck inside and it kills them quickly.

If it really is eggbound then I think urgent knowledgeable vet care is of the utmost priority.

Fingers crossed for the poor thing...
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:28pm (Jul 8th 2009) edited

Posted By: neil

The worst thing was knowing she died in agony, alone, in a box in the boot of the car. I was thirteen at the time and was at school, and didn't even get chance to say goodbye or tell her that I loved her :sad:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:43pm (Jul 8th 2009)

SHe already knew that Red. I have a friend who is half Navajo (sp?) Indian and says that when an animal passes over it instantly knows everything you have done for it and loves you eternally. I'm filling up now. :cry:
    • CommentTimeJul 8th, 2009 11:52pm (Jul 8th 2009)

Posted By: KatebI'm filling up now

Me too Kate. Thank you :heart:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 9th, 2009 2:57pm (Jul 9th 2009)

It's just awful when a bird (or any pet for that matter) is not well or in distress. We'd only had Ruby 6 weeks when we lost her to being egg-bound. Got one out naturally but it was the one behind that finished her off. So we are all thinking of you and hoping the problem is sorted happily.

Just out of interest, Ruby wasn't very fond of the bath and if you don't want a hen with a soggy bottom, we applied the "sauna" treatment. A washing up bowl with hot water gone off the boil (still steaming but not scalding). We then put a piece of old skirting board across one end and sat her on that, with her bottom hanging over the water. She seemed to like that.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 3:59pm (Jul 10th 2009)

Well, I don't know what was wrong with little Ashleigh, but she wasn't egg bound, she did, however, have a poorly stomach; cottage cheese and parsley seem to have sorted her out. A couple of days in a cosy fishing basket in our bedroom seem to have done her the world of good. Glad she's okay, my wife has taken to her like a baby. She sits cuddling and talking to her on the bed, she also has a fascination with Torchwood. At the moment she's making a mess of the bedroom floor with her dish of yogurt and mash. Our other chucks seem okay but they are older and show no signs of ill health. One has a habbit of slavering on her food though.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 5:33pm (Jul 10th 2009)

You know that you have a house chicken now, right? (And, Hoooraaay! Ashleigh is well. :heart: )
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 5:50pm (Jul 10th 2009)

What a relief. Although I hope you realise that as son as you put her back in the henhouse away from fitted carpets and telly, she may have a 'relapse'...:)
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 6:01pm (Jul 10th 2009) edited

I might move in to the shed, I'm surounded by dominant females. I never would have thought that I would be at the bottom of the pecking order.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 6:04pm (Jul 10th 2009)

• CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 6:45pm (Jul 10th 2009)

If you poo on the carpet you'll be in the shed anyway with twelve Imodium and a glass of water...
    • CommentTimeJul 10th, 2009 10:26pm (Jul 10th 2009)

Posted By: StuartIf I poop on the carpet do you think I'll get cottage cheese and parsley for my tea?

:rolling:

I'm glad Ashleigh is better, that's brilliant news :bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2009 2:33am (Jul 11th 2009)

:rollonfloorlaughing: Stuart, I don't think you should try it..I don't think you'd like the results..I don't think it would be cottage cheese you'd be getting...or Tea either.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2009 3:54am (Jul 11th 2009)

Hi Lynn! I was wondering where you were. Missed yah.
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2009 12:51pm (Jul 11th 2009) edited

:heartsabove:well that was all very fascinating folks re hens and parsley and tea and pooping on carpets. I have definitley learnt so much.

Posted By: KatebSHe already knew that Red. I have a friend who is half Navajo (sp?) Indian and says that when an animal passes over it instantly knows everything you have done for it and loves you eternally. I'm filling up now.<

Kate that is such a beautiful sentiment, I really appreciate it as it has come at just the right time. Thanks for sharing it.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2009 5:55pm (Jul 11th 2009)

I've learned more about chickens this last four days than I have in all the books I've read. Nothing prepares you for nursing a sick hen.
    • CommentTimeJul 11th, 2009 11:32pm (Jul 11th 2009)

I'm glad she's feeling better - must be a big relief. Also pleased to see she's a Torchwood fan. That's her and me then. Can't find anyone else that likes it!
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 2:29pm (Jul 12th 2009)

Kate, all my friends do :-\
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 3:33pm (Jul 12th 2009)

I really enjoyed the episodes this week. It was a really good story line. I've just seen a headline that they're going to inoculate everyone against swine flu and I thought of Torchwood!!!! Oooo er!!!
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 5:27pm (Jul 12th 2009)

Haven't heard from Stuart; do you suppose he's wrestling Ashleigh for the remote control?
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 7:08pm (Jul 12th 2009)

I've been demoted to the shed because I apparently make more mess than Ashleigh. Ash by the way is 100 per cent better, we bought her a large dog cage today and put a bed box in for her to get her used to the garden again, she will be sleeping in our bedroom for a few more days until the big run is finished. After a diet of cottage cheese, yoghurt, parsley, toast and marmite and not forgetting lettuce and cabbage I think I'd be better too.

I'd like to thank every one for their advice and concern, I'm glad my wife and I are not the only people that love animals enough to give up their time to care for them.

Ashley loved Torchwood, but wouldn't let me watch it - too busy cleaning her poop of the carpet.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 8:15pm (Jul 12th 2009)

Here she is, just finishing supper before bed.
      ash.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 8:22pm (Jul 12th 2009)

Shouldn't you keep her indoors until this series of Torchwood is finished? :)
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 8:26pm (Jul 12th 2009)

She will be indoors for a couple of nights until I have finished their run, anyway Torchwood finished last night I think she has turned her interest to Law and Order Criminal Intent.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th, 2009 8:49pm (Jul 12th 2009)

Oh, Bless her she is like my Lady Jane Grey hen such a sweet natured girl. Glad she has pulled through such a tough time. My Neighbour is always laughing at me for spoiling my hens, but they sure are worth it, I just love them all so much.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th, 2009 11:57pm (Jul 13th 2009)

Such a pretty girl! (Ashleigh, not you CC!!!) I keep telling my hubby I'd rather have the cat in bed with me than him - she steals less of it!
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 3:11am (Jul 14th 2009)

Posted By: KatebSuch a pretty girl! (Ashleigh, not you CC!!!)

:cry:
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 3:15am (Jul 14th 2009)

Posted By: Stuartshe also has a fascination with Torchwood.

What a smart chuck!
      CommentAuthorJonny
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 3:15am (Jul 14th 2009)

Get her watching Ice Road Truckers!
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 2:47pm (Jul 14th 2009)

Oh god, my mum actually got hooked on that Jonny :-\
    :D
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 5:24pm (Jul 14th 2009)

:shocked: Really??! :shocked:
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 14th, 2009 8:28pm (Jul 14th 2009)

I started watching that and lost it, was in on National Geographic?
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2009 3:00pm (Jul 15th 2009)

No, it was either on Five or Sky 3 I think.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 15th, 2009 9:11pm (Jul 15th 2009)

I watched one or two of them, but Bones, CSI and Criminal minds are my thing.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 5:21pm (Jul 16th 2009) edited

I'm a daddy. at 2pm this afternoon Erica dropped this small but beautifully formed egg. Our first ever.
      egg.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 7:34pm (Jul 16th 2009)

Congratulations, Erica! And Stuart, of course...:D
    • CommentTimeJul 16th, 2009 11:23pm (Jul 16th 2009)

A perfect specimen! Are you going to eat it or keep it for posterity?!
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 12:23am (Jul 17th 2009)

As it's our first, I think we are going to encase it in resin.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 9:31am (Jul 17th 2009)

:_pecking:Congratulations Stuart your first eggy!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 10:44pm (Jul 17th 2009)

Having it bronzed and mounted on a plinth is the thing to do, I believe, Stuart.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 3:21am (Jul 18th 2009)

Wow, Stuart that's wonderful!!! I remember how excited I was when I found the first egg my girls had laid.:yay_jump:
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 8:11am (Jul 18th 2009)

Here Stuart, is it too late to get it put up on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square??
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 9:57pm (Jul 18th 2009)

I could put it on the Fourth Plinth but don't think it has much to say yet. Not very talented for an egg.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 11:44pm (Jul 18th 2009)

:yay_jump::045::aparty1::great::woohoo::cheer::aparty2:
    • CommentAuthorvolka
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 7:50pm (Jul 19th 2009)

We got our 100th egg this weekend - well done Jollity Farm chickens.
    • CommentAuthorStuart
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 10:36pm (Jul 19th 2009)

Had our first soft shelled egg today, perfectly formed like velvet to the touch.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 10:45pm (Jul 19th 2009)

:D Least she wasn't wearing it like a slipper :P