• CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 8:04pm (Jul 17th 2009)

As you all know I have 10 ex-bats who are all full of beans and doing well, apart from the one with one eye and the one with the funy wing and oh- yes the two with poorly feet ha ha......(well they do - but they are all really happy) Any way Indi is the only one that hasn't really feathers up yet, she seems to be really slow compared to all the others (this seems like a Red type question. :-) T
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 8:35pm (Jul 17th 2009)

I've got a sort of related question; after being broody and sitting for all that time, should Livia still be baldy round her throat and a bit thin at the back end, or is this an unrelated moult? I know she's had a lot better start than your little flock though, Tracy; I bet your lot think they've gone to heaven! :)
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 8:49pm (Jul 17th 2009)

you should see them when they all run to the gate - It makes my heart soar bless them. I could sit and watch them for hours (and sometimes do) I'll try and get some pics at teh week and and work out how to load them up. Sis is coming tomorrow so perhaps she can help me.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 8:52pm (Jul 17th 2009)

I've never worked the pics out; I chicken out (arf arf!) and email them to Neil who v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.kindly puts them up on the forum for me! :)
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 8:55pm (Jul 17th 2009)

If sis can't work it out tomrow I might need someones email add. so they can load for me.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 9:12pm (Jul 17th 2009) edited

Email them to us using the Contact page on the main site - click the link that says 'email us' ;)

As for growing feathers, the time it takes each chicken to grow feathers back varies. I know Tilly and Eva are the slowest chickens i have ever known when growing their feathers!! :P

You can give them a boost by feeding high protein treats, such as cat food, soya milk, yoghurt, vegetables and grains. This will give them the extra energy and protein needed to re-grow feathers. Is Indi at the bottom of the pecking order or smaller than the others?

CC, broody hens will pull feathers from their chest, stomach area and neck to make a comfy nest and to easily transfer heat from their body to the eggs. Were there any plucked feathers in the nest when you turfed Livia off? If she hasn't pulled them out herself it's probably a moult...you could give her a quick check for mites, but she probably won't appreciate that ;) Just keep an eye out for re-growing feathers or any further indication that is a moult :001_smile:

Hope all that made sense :-\
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 9:15pm (Jul 17th 2009)

I'll try them with some cat food tomorrow - sure that cats aren't going to be too impressed just seems strange as she is the only one that isn't doing so well in that department.
    • CommentTimeJul 17th, 2009 9:34pm (Jul 17th 2009)

Maybe her feathers will grow faster after she has had her yearly moult?? Not sure, but give her time and no doubt they'll grow back ;)
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 12:15pm (Jul 18th 2009)

hopefully you will now see a picture of two of my girls when they first arrved.
      The Girls 009 small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 12:17pm (Jul 18th 2009)

and another one
      The Girls 010 small.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 1:11pm (Jul 18th 2009)

Tracy it just warms my heart to see what you have done adopting 10 hennies, they will be very happy and I am sure they will thrive in your care.:heartsabove:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 1:29pm (Jul 18th 2009)

I'll try and take some new pics this week so you can see how much they have changed. and where they live.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 1:57pm (Jul 18th 2009)

It makes me really sad to see those pictures and to think THAT is what ex-batts look like. It is terrible. I am sooo looking forward to seeing how they look now! Thank you for taking them in Tracy, I'm glad they are now living the high life with you!
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 4:24pm (Jul 18th 2009)

Do you know that pic made me cry!

Don't eat much of it anyway, just happen to have some in today as I was inspired my the recipe given on here.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 6:30pm (Jul 18th 2009)

Ah, they're sooooooo lucky that you adopted them...:heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 18th, 2009 11:56pm (Jul 18th 2009) edited

Beautiful girls, Tracy.

Really love that first one and can't wait to see some more pics. With that amount of feathers to grow back it will take a lot of energy, so protein-rich foods are the way forwards! Are they eating well, do that have big appetites? Also are they willing to try new foods or are they wary and stick to what they are used to?

Posted By: ollie in UKI will not will be eating any more chicken unless I know EXACTLY how it has been nurtured.

:001_smile:
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 2:06am (Jul 19th 2009)

Bless you Tracy, It breaks my heart to see the poor things looking so sad. They are so deserving of a wonderful Mum like to you love and care for them. It will be real good to see some pictures of how they are now, after some tender loving care.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 3:10am (Jul 19th 2009)

Red, there are white-tipped spiky bits on Livia's bum which look exactly like those pics you posted of Pewnny's (or maybe Tilly's) regrowing feathers. So she may not be a baldybird much longer!
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 5:19am (Jul 19th 2009)

Tracy, you are a sweetheart for taking in those poor girls:bighug:..I'm so happy that you are giving them such a good home now. I know the rest of their lives will be happy now.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 12:04pm (Jul 19th 2009)

In answer to Red's questions, they are greedy girls, they have a constant supply of layers pellets and then get treats everyday, I give them cabbage an grapes when i go up to see them afterwork. I have a routine with the Pee-Po (the one eyed one (that she atomatically walks to the other side of the run when she see's me start to give out the treats so i can make sure she gets her fiar share), they also get a bit of corn each day - and what ever the neighbours give them - they know not to give rhubarb leaves or meat. i did try them on spaghetti in the week and they seemed to like it and after your previous coment about cat food i gave some to them that the boys (Thomas and Ratty) had left. They seem to go for grapes first, then what ever else there was. Cat food seemed to be last on the list of likes althought they did eat it. Raw Cauliflower also seems to go down well. Speckle gets her last injection today although she and the other girl (not yet named) are going to stay segregated for another 7 days. Hope that all made sense.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th, 2009 11:24pm (Jul 19th 2009)

Yep CC, sounds like she will have her feathers back soon :)

Tracy, that all made perfect sense! If your girls don't like cat food you could try giving them other protein rich foods - spghetti is good, so that's great that they already seem to like it! I'm glad they have big appetites too :P
    • CommentTimeJul 20th, 2009 8:06pm (Jul 20th 2009)

We're still waiting for the up to date photos Tracy - hint hint!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 21st, 2009 9:01pm (Jul 21st 2009)

I'll try and down load some today or tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to take Speckle back to the vet - her last injection was on Sunday and her limp seems to be worse again. I felt her toe/leg and it feels hot, so anoher trip in the box for her if I can get her in on Wed/Thur.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2009 6:10pm (Jul 22nd 2009)

Well just returned from the vet with another 15 days worth of injections for Speckled Hen. Now al the swellin has gone down nice Mr Vet says he things it is an absses(sp) in her joint.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd, 2009 6:24pm (Jul 22nd 2009)

just tried to upload some new pics but it says my pictures are too big a 718kb, might have to wait until twin sis comes tomorrow as her laptop does soemthign clever with them to make them smaller
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:03pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

OK so here goes, first pic is of their house
      chicken shed small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:04pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

This is their end of the shed, the other end in the pic above is currenlty the "hospital wing" as my mum calls it.
      enclosure small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:05pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

This is the girls front door
      Hen House Small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:06pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

OK, so I'd like to introduce you to speckle, poorly toe and all
      Speckle small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:09pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

one of my girls, no name as yet.
      DIGI0020 small.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:12pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

This is Peepo, so called as she can only see out of one eye
      DIGI0026.JPG
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:14pm (Jul 23rd 2009) edited

Another of my girls, no name.
      cabbage 1.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:22pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

one of my girls outside her dor
      by the door smal.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:33pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

This is Speckle again with Indi who doens't seem to be growing her feathers very quickly. As Speckle has to have 15 more injections I've swapped the girls round and put Indi in with her to see if I give her some yoghurt she might progress a bit more.
      Indi and Speckle.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 8:37pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

This is where the girls lay their lovely eggs
      laying boxes small.jpg
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd, 2009 11:27pm (Jul 23rd 2009)

Wow Tracy, that is fabulous!!!!! What a wonderful home they have, and so different from their 'previous' life!! It is lovely to see them all feathered up (well, apart from Indi) but even she looks better than the first picture you posted of them.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 7:08am (Jul 24th 2009)

Tracy that is a BEAUTIFUL home you have given the girls. They seem to be very happy there.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 2:37pm (Jul 24th 2009)

How lovely and peacefull it must seem like heaven to your girls. Real good clear pictures as well.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 6:21pm (Jul 24th 2009)

I took loads more pictures, but they seem to have a sixth sense about when to move at just the wrong moment so lots ended up blurred.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 7:43pm (Jul 24th 2009)

What a fantastic place these little hens have to live now! It must be heaven on earth for them. What is that brick wall in the back? It looks really really tall. I've never seen a brick wall like that... Anyway, you ROCK Tracy! :heart:
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 8:27pm (Jul 24th 2009)

It's a chicken palace. I also think it might be bigger than my HOUSE!!! :D
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 24th, 2009 9:03pm (Jul 24th 2009)

The stone wall in the back (10ft tall) is the boundry wall of the kitchen garden..... I should probably explain I live in an old hall thats been split up into 4 seperate houses. Luckily we really streched ourselves 14 years ago to buy it as we'd never have been able to afford it now. We have our own garden and share the kitchen garden and paddocks with our other 3 neighbours. Its a great place to live. I'm a very lucky girl
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 3:35am (Jul 25th 2009)

A TEN FOOT stone wall?? What was it for - to fend off the barbaric hordes? It sounds (and looks) like you live in an amazing place. And the coop/hospital is definitely bigger than my house! :) And better constructed... :P
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 3:38am (Jul 25th 2009)

Inspired - I am going to google *how to build a stone wall* now. One thing we have lots of is round rock in our soil here. And deer leaping gaily over all my other constructions.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:18pm (Jul 25th 2009)

It's brick,isn't it, not stone? If you need a bricklayer, Diane, I'll post LSE out to you for a while!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:23pm (Jul 25th 2009)

Well tried the girls with yoghurt today - they highly recommend it as a food......a face pack...... and a foot bath. I've never laughed so much with my mum, they flicked it all over each other, one of them had it all over one sid eof her face. Will try and remember to take the camera up with me tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:37pm (Jul 25th 2009)

The wall at the back is northampton stone, 300-400 yrs old same as the house, apart from the bit thats on a t-junction and been knocked down 4 times by various idiots, I now have about a 30ft stretch in the garden that is less than 8yrs old. Luckily we have a really good stonemason in the area, who half the time seems to know before us that someones run into the wall.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:51pm (Jul 25th 2009)

LOL - loved the Yogurt Wars post Tracy. Wow. Your wall (and home) just gets more and more intriguing to me. There aren't any buildings that old in my country. Its incredible to think of living in one!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:53pm (Jul 25th 2009)

Could LSE help me fix my leaky bath tub faucet too? I finally got up the courage to saw a big hole in the wall behind the bathroom. It turns out the part I need to replace is welded on - so I finished in the role of repairer. :cry:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:57pm (Jul 25th 2009)

Oh bless you - I hate it when you start a job (after having plucked up courage to tackle it) and it turns into something much bigger than you thought it was going to be - it happens to us all the time.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 25th, 2009 10:58pm (Jul 25th 2009)

What time is it where you are Diane?
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 2:04am (Jul 26th 2009) edited

Thanks for your empathetic words, Tracy. I am 8 hours away from Hen Central. I assume you live in their time zone? So, at this moment it is 6:03 pm. :)
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 4:05pm (Jul 26th 2009)

I find it amazing that America is so young!
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 6:32pm (Jul 26th 2009)

Our cottage was begun around 1740 (AD, not PM...) so it's new by Tracey's wall's standards!
    LSE has just sorted out kitchen taps out this afternoon Diane - he does building, plumbing & electrics but has to be blow-darted and sedated to do decorating. That's why we collect signs...covers up the iffy paintwork...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 7:42pm (Jul 26th 2009)

Oooo. Send him over! I'll feed him lots of chocolate, take him for beach walks, let him sleep in the office, he can even play with Holly. Warm beer could be arranged, I guess.

Yes, the Merkin part of our country is just in its infancy. Maybe we can be forgiven for some of our impact on the larger world community... :P Living in a 100 year old house is something worth noting here. LOL

CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 7:44pm (Jul 26th 2009)

• CommentTimeJul 26th, 2009 8:03pm (Jul 26th 2009)

Is battery farming prevalent there, Diane?
    I've just read that Tesco garden centres (called 'Dobbies') are going to be selling chicks and coops in a bid to appear 'green'. These are the ba$t^£d& who sell battery farmed chickens for two quid and see no shame in selling battery eggs.:rant_red2::cursing::tearhair::fierce::_oh_really::mad::thumbdown:
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 7:57am (Jul 27th 2009)

Posted By: DianeonWhidbeyI was just looking at your 'before' pics again, Tracy. Tears at my heart. Lynn, I'm wondering if we have anything like a battery hen rescue here?

Not that I know of, Diane. At least I've never heard of any.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 12:39pm (Jul 27th 2009)

Posted By: KatebI find it amazing that America is so young!

he he we are only 200 years old here in Oz. My husband who is Danish tells me tales of relatives who live in 300/400 year old homes and we have footage of a wonderful water wheel near where he used to live that is 300 yrs old and still works.
    I studied British history at school and was always fascinated by the age of places and amount of events that have happened in one area, such change and evolving. I love it. We have of course been influenced by so much that is British here in Oz.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 2:08pm (Jul 27th 2009)

We sure are lucky having so much of historical value here, It is one of my most favourite things and still have only scratched the surface.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 11:33pm (Jul 27th 2009)

I know we have abusive chicken farming here. A lot of it! We don't call them battery hens. In fact I don't know what the term for it would be. Or how to adopt them. I have seen a vid of poor little chickies beaks being cut off. Sob. Maybe I'll have to research this.

TM et al, its also entertaining to think about our two countries being initially colonized by Brit outcasts and criminals. Explains a lot, I think. ;)

• CommentTimeJul 27th, 2009 11:34pm (Jul 27th 2009) edited

Hey, while (whilst) I am as much of a mixture of things as my puppy dog is, the highest concentration of one collection of people I have in my blood is Danish (1/4)! Maybe your hubby and I are related.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 2:03am (Jul 28th 2009)

Posted By: DianeonWhidbeyTM et al, its also entertaining to think about our two countries being initially colonized by Brit outcasts and criminals. Explains a lot, I think

We couldn't possibly comment...:D
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 7:37pm (Jul 28th 2009)

The man from the animal sanctuary rang me today to ask me if I wanted some more ex-bat girls. I've said no at the moment as I want to see how we got on with these through the winter as I can see there being lots more cleaning up to do. Have said I might consider some more in January. Hopefully by that time I will have managed to name all of the first lot.
    • CommentTimeJul 28th, 2009 9:12pm (Jul 28th 2009)

Ooo, go on; you know you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2009 8:23pm (Jul 29th 2009)

Like I say I need to get through a winter to see how much extra work they create. Will think about it in the new year. Anyway I need to make sure all of my current girls are OK. Speckle doesn't seem to be responding very well to the antibiotics this time - her toe looks worse thatn it did before she started them. :-(
    • CommentTimeJul 29th, 2009 9:29pm (Jul 29th 2009)

you are doing it right it's best to see how you can manage and still enjoy them. Poor Speckle what a shame about her toe. Sounds daft but check to see she hasn't got a thorn or something stuck in it.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2009 9:06pm (Jul 30th 2009)

OMG - just had an emergency visit to the vet with Indi (my non feathered friend). Went up to see the girls at about 7:20 after working late to find Indi standing stock still in the corner with what looked like a prolapse. felt so bad as I would have normally been home earlier, anyway shot back down to the house to get a towel, back up the Indi picked her up in a cardboard box. Shouted my neighbour Rose to come help me in the kitchen to see if we could see/do anything. Anyway couldn't see or feel anything on a quick internal so rang the emergency vet. Got to the vet at 8:00. Anyway long story short she was egg-bound but the egg was very high up. So he's got rid of the egg, cleaned her up and given her some antibiotics. We've got two more injections to give her over the next couple of days and keep an eye on her. I'm a real idiot and cried loads before we got to the vet. T.
    • CommentTimeJul 30th, 2009 9:26pm (Jul 30th 2009)

Oh Tracy, you are not an idiot for crying at your pets pain and distress. I am close to crying just reading your post. Poor little girl it was so lucky you got her to the vets so quickly. I am sure she feels a lot more comfy now the egg has gone. Keep us up to date with her progress won't you. I will be thinking of you both xxx
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2009 12:00am (Jul 31st 2009) edited

Poor Indie and poor you! Well done for finding her and getting her treated so quickly. I cry before, during and after vet visits. He once let me go out of the back door instead of via the waiting room because I was crying so much. (That was when I had to have Molly pts) :(

Keep us updated on Indie. x
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2009 5:57am (Jul 31st 2009)

So glad you were there, once again, for that little girl. All the best to you and your sweet chickens.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2009 6:50pm (Jul 31st 2009)

Of COURSE you're not an idiot; you're a caring and responsible person. :heart: Hope she feels better soon. And you, of course!
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2009 7:36pm (Jul 31st 2009)

Well went up this morning and she looked fine but has gone down hill a little bit during the day. Rosie our neighbour has been keeping an eye on her. She's looking round at her backend alot. I assume she is just sore from the vet which he said might be the case. Will go up and bathe her in a little while when she's getting a bit sleepier. Not sure what else I can do - so if anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to here them.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st, 2009 8:23pm (Jul 31st 2009)

I am sure a nice warm bathing will do wonders for her, and should help her settle a bit during the night. How nice of your neighbour Rosie to help you keep an eye on her. I haven't any other ideas as to what you could do to help her, maybe Red can think of something.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 1st, 2009 8:45pm (Aug 1st 2009)

Indi seems OK today, although still seems to be straining to produce something, Plannign to take her to the vet on Monday jsut to get her checked out. She doens't like being int he hospital wing less her so will swap someone else in tomorrow and keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't bullied.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd, 2009 6:59pm (Aug 2nd 2009)

Glad to hear she is feeling better, no harm in giving her a check up though. They do like company and fret if they are alone.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2009 8:10pm (Aug 4th 2009)

Had to take Indi to the VET again this moring as she went down hill on Monday - another 7 days of antibiotics and fingers crossed now is all we can do - she looked so sorry for hersefl last night and this morning. Tonight she looks a little better and came outside to get a few grapes. T.
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2009 9:02pm (Aug 4th 2009)

Oh poor girl I am sorry and hope she gets better soon x
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 4th, 2009 9:14pm (Aug 4th 2009)

Ok Indi - time to get completely and fully well now little girl. There are plenty more grapes where those came from! :heart:
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2009 2:20pm (Aug 5th 2009) edited

I hate it when hens become egg bound, it's just horrible :(

All sorts of problems are a lot more common in ex-bats, Tracy, because their bodies are so weak after laying so many eggs and never being outside or able to move. You're doing a brilliant job with them, though, they're living the dream now - I hope Indi recovers completely :bighug:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 5th, 2009 7:32pm (Aug 5th 2009)

I hav to say Indi seems to be really slow at putting weight on and growing feathers, but she is much chirpier today so yeah for antibiotics. I don't mind how long I have to inject her for if it means she's happy. T.
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2009 8:08pm (Aug 6th 2009)

Glad she's on the up; top marks to you for hanging on in there with her!
    • CommentTimeAug 6th, 2009 8:36pm (Aug 6th 2009)

I agree with CC, you have done real well Tracy and I am glad she is feeling happier today.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 9:06pm (Aug 11th 2009)

just come back from a long weekend and the neighbours finished her injections on Sunday and I hve to say she looks loads better, no so red in the skin and less swollen. Still hasn't laid an egg yet so we'll have to wait and see. Speckle's injections also finished whilst we were away all the swelling on her toe has gone but you can see the cyst/abcess is still there so will try and get her in to have it lanced.
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 9:42pm (Aug 11th 2009)

Nice to have the update Tracy and I am so pleased they are feeling a lot better. Hope you had a good weekend and the weather was kind to you
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 4:30am (Aug 12th 2009)

i've found out why Livia is still bald on her throat; I saw Onion gently peck at her chest a couple of times. she doesn't seem to mind. Can/should I stop this? It's not red or inflamed or anything...
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 8:34pm (Aug 12th 2009)

Not sure about that one, perhaps I'll have to keep more of an eye on Indi, having said that she's only in with SpeckledHen at the moment and she only looks like she's grown 1 new feather. Taking Speckled Hen back to the vet on Friday to get the cyst on her toe lanced to see if we can clear it up once and for all as all the swelling has goen again but not the actual cyst, probably means more antibiotics afterwards but I'm really keen to get rid of the "Hospital Wing" as soon as I can and get tehma ll back together permenantly. I move part of the fence in the evenings now once I've taken all the eggs away so they can all be together for a few hours before they go to bed.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 8:39pm (Aug 12th 2009)

CC, you can buy some blue stuff that is to prevent parrots from chewing furniture that I have read can be used to stop chickens from pecking other chickens. Not sure what it is called though.

If she is allowing him to peck her, though, and she doesn't seem to mind or be in any pain...it's your call what to do i guess :confused:

Tracy, hope Speckled Hen's vet visit goes okay.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 9:29pm (Aug 12th 2009)

Well, she doesn't mind and it doesn't look sore...whatever floats her boat! :rolling:
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 9:10pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Indi's going back to the vet again tomorrow, looks like she's not feeling so good now the antibiotics have worked their way out of her system. Iss heart breaking as when she's on the antibiotics she's fine and when she finishes her course she gets worse again - does anyone have any views on the ethics of keeping a chicken on antibiotics so she doens't go down hill again
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 9:30pm (Aug 13th 2009) edited

She might have had a green fly or something on her CC, how often does he do it? I have noticed mine tidy each other up now and then with a tweak here and there. Auntie Beak still has a bald chest from the time she was broody which was round about the time Livia was.

Poor little Indi, what a shame and as you say so heart breaking. I think the system becomes used to the antibiotics after a while and they have no effect. Best to see what your Vet says Tracy.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 10:05pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Wishing all the best for Indi. I wonder if the vet can think of any creative options? Antibotics can't be continued forever. But the fact that they work while they are in her system must have some meaning.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 10:57pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Maybe she needs a different antibiotic. Perhaps whatever it is is held at bay by the one she's on, but its not enough to fight it off completely. Or a combination of 2 antibiotics - that's not unusual. Is your vet knowledgable about chickens or having a best stab at it? Maybe he can get some advice from a vet with more chicken experience - can't hurt to ask, you are paying for his services after all! I hope something can be sorted out for her.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 6:12pm (Aug 14th 2009)

have you tried the apple cider vinegar that Red swears by?
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:08pm (Aug 14th 2009)

I will get some apple cider vinegar, but have some good news... openend up the hospital wing this morning to find two eggs so Indi has laid an egg - I think its the first since she was egg bound/prolapse that that may well be why she was a bit uncomfy last night - fingers crossed. As they'd both laid this morning let them all back ogether for theday. Speckle has had the cyst on her toe lanced tonight so another 6 days of antibiotics and salt water foot baths. :-)
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:11pm (Aug 14th 2009)

I do so hope they are both on the mend Tracy, what a lovely surprise two eggs I bet you couldn't beleive it.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:12pm (Aug 14th 2009)

My neighbour Rosie came up a couple of minutes after me - she nealry cried she was so pleased.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:15pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Oh Bless her how nice to have such a good neighbour Tracy.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:15pm (Aug 14th 2009)

I am very lucky I have three sets of absolutley brilliant neighbours, more like a big family really.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 7:19pm (Aug 14th 2009)

Thats really good Tracy, I am lucky with mine as well we always help each other out yet don't live in each others pockets. It is so nice to know help is at hand when needed and with no strings attached.