• CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 5:46pm (Aug 7th 2009) edited

Well, Sid has had a bit of an adventure today (!) He'd been buried in his soil since last Saturday, so i was getting more than a bit worried...however I woke up this morning to see him slithering around his tank so was quite happy :)

I went up and saw he was sliming about so decided to get a few pics...

Photobucket

But then, without warning...DISASTER STRUCK!!!
    Photobucket
    (Yes, he fell off his branch :D )

I swooped in to check he was okay and, noticing his shell was dirty, gave him a quick bath. I went and held him in the sun for a bit to help him dry off.

Photobucket

Then Sid decided he'd quite like to go outside, and so off he went on a little exploration...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A big snail in an even bigger world!!

Photobucket

After his trip he was all grubby again...

Photobucket

...so had another quick shower...

Photobucket

And then, deciding he was very tired, back home for a quick lunch from his 'lettuce tree' and bed...

Photobucket

• CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 7:31pm (Aug 7th 2009)

Sid's Big Adventure! I bet he's tucked up in bed tired out now...:)
      CommentAuthorLynnW
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 7:35pm (Aug 7th 2009)

What a busy day Sid had...that's a lot to do in one day for a snail..I'll bet he will sleep for a week now...he's a very handsome snail by the way.:bigsmile:
    • CommentTimeAug 7th, 2009 8:32pm (Aug 7th 2009)

Oh bless him he did have a busy day, they do like to be out of their Viv taking the air every so often. I have found that if Fluffy sleeps for to long it is ok to drip a little luke warm water on his shell to wake him up. He wakes up gently then and will eat rather than hibernate.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 10:25am (Aug 10th 2009)

Red those pics are magic and I love your story of his advantures, we could turn it into a childrens book. Just beautiful.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 7:54pm (Aug 10th 2009)

Thanks everyone :001_smile: He had an apple today, it was a massive red one and was even bigger than he was :o

NN, I might have asked this before, but do you give Fluffy a water dish or just let him drink from the soil / condensation on the glass?
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 8:42pm (Aug 10th 2009) edited

Hi Red, no Fluffy dont have a water dish he does drink the water droplets from the side of his viv. I dont have a spray I just sprinkle water in from a tiny glass. I usually flick some on the sides for him to drink.
    He did have a flower pot in his viv and I used to make a very small puddle of water in that but he didn't like it. I have taken his flower pot away now and given him a conch shell for a change. I screw a piece of cucumber on the end of it where it comes to a point so he don't hurt himself.
    He loves the conch shell and Jay took some pic's of him on it to show the man we got him off. He was astounded at how much he had grown and how well he looks now. I will get Jay to pass on of the pic's so you can see it.
    You could try Sid with a water dish but as he has started to burrow now he might keep tipping it over trying to burrow under it. I guess it is all trial and error with them as to their likes and dislikes.
    Here he is drinking his droplets !!!
      Img_6768a.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 9:51pm (Aug 10th 2009) edited

Just got one of the pictures from jay
      SDIM0313a.jpg
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 10:31pm (Aug 10th 2009) edited

Awww Fluffy is so lovely and small and cute! His shell is real different to Sid's, it's like the ones we saw at a rep shop the other week. They just look rounder, but that could be because he is smaller, idk...

In Sid's last house he had a plant pot with water in, but he rarely went near it and it was a waste of space, so i turned it into something for him to climb on in his new place, which he loves. Just wondered if Fluffy had a water dish or not, because i know they don't need one but some people like to give them one. I just put water on his glass and soil which he then drinks, same as you.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 10:48pm (Aug 10th 2009)

Yes Red his shell is totally different and definatley is rounder. he is only a about five months old. How old is Sid? I think you may have told me once but I have forgotten. They do seem to like new things to explore. I don't keep Fluffy's viv very wet as he doesnt seem to like that much and won't come down off the roof. He likes it just damp and it can be difficult getting it just to his liking. Mind you he is very spoilt now !!!
    • CommentTimeAug 10th, 2009 11:14pm (Aug 10th 2009)

Bless little Fluffy. Sid is about four years old, at a guestimate. Big old boy!
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 1:02am (Aug 11th 2009)

These snails are so fascinating girls. I think I want one!

NN the back end of Fluffy's shell looks like a scarey face with eyes, maybe it's designed to scare the birds away in the wild so they dont get eated up.

Red if Sid was outside and a bird saw him I think it would fly off in fright at the sight of the size of him!
    • CommentAuthorShobhna
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 9:08am (Aug 11th 2009)

great pics. :-)
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 2:22pm (Aug 11th 2009)

Yes I can see the scary face as well since you mention it TM. I had a look at him in real life and can not see it so it must be the angle the picture was taken at.
    Yes I have found him to be very fascinating, as I think I have said before he isn't the sort of pet I would have had for choice, I just felt so sorry for him in his hour of need. It sure has been worth it as he looks so healthy now and he has thrived by just being kept clean and introduced to a variety of different foods.
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 5:13pm (Aug 11th 2009)

Splendid pics, NN...he certainly fell on his feet...er, foot, when he moved in with you!
    • CommentTimeAug 11th, 2009 7:33pm (Aug 11th 2009)

Thank you CC yes he deserves a bit of TLC.
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 1:52pm (Aug 12th 2009)

NN wrote: They are banned in some places in case they escape or are set free as they grow so big they could devestate natural habitat in quite a short time.

I can just see packs of giant snails munching their way through the undergrowth, chomping a path as they make their way to the coast where they board long boats and paddle all the way to Australia and the US and eat their way across the world,
    hhmm must be that red wine I had with dinner , my imagination is running wild again! :crazy:
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 4:50pm (Aug 12th 2009)

:drinkparty: How many bottles, Julie? :D
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 7:08pm (Aug 12th 2009)

Maybe we need to worry about you TM ??
    • CommentTimeAug 12th, 2009 9:28pm (Aug 12th 2009)

No she's happy. Dappy, but happy...:D
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 12:07am (Aug 13th 2009)

yesh itsh 9 am and I am pefectilly happeeeeeee, hic hic, :drunk: nah just jokin'.
    Its that writers festival I went to at the weekend, all sorts of ideas bouncing around in my head.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 5:58pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Wow, what went on there, Julie? What did you do - writing exercises and things?
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 8:33pm (Aug 13th 2009)

I know this might be a stupid question but what type of snail are fluffy and sid?
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 8:43pm (Aug 13th 2009)

They are both African Giant Land snails Tracy, they can grow real huge as you can see from Red's photos Sid is as big as her hand.
    • CommentAuthorTracyB
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 8:46pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Thanks for taht NN, they both look like very handsome chaps. Good job they ar enot in my neighbours garden she'd have a fit.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 8:51pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Ha ha is she scared of them ? I am scared of spiders, I had to break up the old fence panels today and they were full of them. Luckily my girls were at hand as they like to help with all my outdoor jobs. They made sort work of all the creepy crawlys except for the very largest slugs which must be tough or something as they totally ignore them. We got the last two panels made and in place on Wednesday so that is a big job completed.
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 8:55pm (Aug 13th 2009)

No wonder you've got restless legs, woman!
    • CommentTimeAug 13th, 2009 9:03pm (Aug 13th 2009)

Ha ha they are ok during the day it is night time and sitting down thats the killer. Grandad North isn't very outdoor orientated so he considers it my domain and will only do things under protest with plenty of moaning.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th, 2009 10:42am (Aug 14th 2009)

Posted By: chief chickenWow, what went on there, Julie? What did you do - writing exercises and things?

Lots of things CC, I did a creative writing class, rediscovering the inner child, we had to wear party hats and I had a ball. Went to a couple of book launches and 'meet the author', missed 'Grumpy English' which was about the mangling and misuse of our language due to computerese, slang, cliches, text talk etc. Lots of events but not enough time see all I wanted to.:crazy: