Site Tag Cloud

• CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 3:52pm (Oct 30th 2007) edited

So, it's Halloween tomorrow...anyone doing anything exciting?

Helen's been busy all day here at hencamHQ getting the house sorted so that people can walk through and we can jump out at them - best part of the year :P

Over here Halloween isn't really a 'big thing,' so already today we've had kids walking past staring at the house...we're probably the only family who does the house up for Halloween and invites trick or treaters inside for a 'haunted tour.' Our neighbours must think we are sooooo weird :D

Also, if anybody was wondering what the little white flappy thing in the chicken coop is...it's the 'Halloween ghost' :) Sadly the chickens don't seem to be scared of it, so it's not a very good ghost... However the chickens do like Halloween because it means they get a pumpkin to mutilate and peck at, which they enjoy.

Red / Scarlet
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 4:33pm (Oct 30th 2007)

I will be taking my grand daughters around their neighborhood to " trick or treat " . They will dress up in costumes , maybe as a witch or princess or cartoon character. I will probably dress up to since I will be going door to door with them . We will only go to homes of people we know because in previous years in some parts of the USA , some cruel and kooky people have put harmful things in the candy or razor blades in the apples. This is just the most horrible thing . Many hospitals let children bring their treats in to be Xrayed. That is how bad things have been . Halloween can be alot of fun though if people want to have parties and play games and bob for apples and such. Some adults are having dress balls and some churches are having harvest celebrations . Sometimes people get tricked and end up getting their windows soaped , rotten eggs thrown at their cars or toliet paper thrown up and over the limbs of their trees. Silly folks with nothing better to do . When I was about 16 years old , my biology teacher got caught throwing rotten eggs and went to jail. She was young too, just out of college . For some reason after that, she lost alot of her ability to keep the class under control and was not asked to return to our school the next year. The weirdest thing I ever did on Halloween was to trick or treat the local funeral home. It was a spooky looking place even in daylight and I would hold my breath and my belly button even when passing by in the car with my parents, but when a few of my friends ( We were all about 11 years old ) went out on Halloween , they dared me to go up and ring the door bell ...... and I did . We thought no one was there but ....... the owner came to the door and gave me a thing that mom could put on her phone dial that lit up the nembers in the dark. I guess he had no candy to give because he expected no trick or treaters . LOL .
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 4:50pm (Oct 30th 2007)

When I went away to college , I had no car and neither did my boyfriend. We walked on all our dates. One Halloween, we were passing the big Victorian funeral home and telling spooky stories, holding hands and just as he remarked that he was not scared of ghosts or funeral homes... all the lights went out on the street and the funeral home. It was a cold night and I had my right hand in my own pocket and my left hand in his coat pocket and holding his right hand . When the lights went out he started running and almost drug me down the street. It seems he WAS scared of funeral homes. We never took that way into town again .
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 6:49pm (Oct 30th 2007)

Halloween always sounds such a fun time for people in the states. In Birmingham we get kids in hoodies (hooded sweatshirts) with them pulled up round their face knocking the door and mumbling "trick or treat" for about a week before the 31st. They don't want 'treats' - they want money. We don't answer the door anymore - too stressful. Don't know what it'll be like this year - we moved to a brand new cul-de-sac. Might get some treats in just in case!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 6:54pm (Oct 30th 2007)

Janice was great vignettes of good old USA Halloweens :) I loved your stories. Times have really changed now, eh? We have not had Trick or Treaters in my neighborhoods (neither Seattle nor Whidbey) in well over 10 years. All the kids are taken to a local church (ironic) or community center somewhere for a party - because of the baddies you talked about. I think its becoming more an adult thing, its seems WE dress up more on that day than in the old days. One more reason for a party :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 7:01pm (Oct 30th 2007)

Hey Kate! I think we are actually on-line at the same time :D

Wow, if people asked for money here it would be really wrong... Although muttering after the door closed about the poor quality of the candy, or fighting over some particularly prized stuff, was all part of it.
      CommentAuthorGloria
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 8:15pm (Oct 30th 2007)

Love the pumpkin in the hen house!! I have a very small one with a little light that I will put outside...However, I"m just leaving a bowl of candies with a "Please share with others" sign because my three dogs cannot stand all the doorbell ringing and I'm afraid they would escape. We have an gate that forms a little enclosed area, so I will put the bowl outside of that, so I don't have anyone coming near the doorbell!
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 8:29pm (Oct 30th 2007)

The white jack-o-lantern and the ghost look very Halloween good. I wonder if the hens will think ithe pumpkin is another chicken or maybe a huge egg and try and hatch it. I was looking at a picture of Opal when she was dressed as a black and white cow for her first Halloween. She is 9 now and is going to dress up as Barbie. Lizzie is 7 and is dressing up as one of the Bratz . Theres a little party at school tomorrow . Classes will dismiss early and the rest of the day will be fun , games , and food. On a different note, the State of Mississippi is going to carry out an execution on Halloween . It is either ironic or whomever set this date has a weird sense of timing.
    • CommentTimeOct 30th, 2007 9:26pm (Oct 30th 2007)

Hi Diane, I think its the first time I've ever been on line at the same time as you guys in the States! Would have liked to have stayed longer but there was a queue for the PC so I had to log off. :(

I've really enjoyed all your halloween reminiscing, you all seemd to have lots of fun! And the pumpkin looks so spooky!! I'm hearing strange noises every now and then but assume they're fireworks going off in the area. Hope the girls aren't too scared.
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 3:55am (Oct 31st 2007) edited

Janice - that is VERY wierd, re: the execution. On a separate subject, I hope Opal & Lizzie (& you) have a great Halloween!

Kate - awwww, so near and yet so far :) Driving to work later I started trying to remember my favorite costumes. I think it was the time a group of my friends came to one of our parties dressed as a herd of deer. That was pretty cool. For a few years I had a job as an anti-apartheid organizer so one of those Octobers I went to a party as apartheid (all in a white sheet with photos of atrocities safety pinned all over me.) Could have been a kind of downer, except my friends were all used to me by then...

Gloria & Janice, have you ever heard of fireworks on Halloween? We don't do that on the west coast I know. Wouldn't even be able to find any to buy.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 3:59am (Oct 31st 2007)

Hey Red! Are there going to be photos posted of the Amazing Hencam Haunted House???
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 9:06am (Oct 31st 2007)

That's awful that some people would sabotage sweets given to children, it makes you wonder doesn't it... :(

I'd love to visit the states around Halloween, is it true that a lot of people really go to town decorating their houses with props and setting up haunted walks through them?

Diane, that costume sounds amazing (and quite thought-provoking)

We're thinking of broadcasting the party via hencam - let me know if you think this is a good idea!
    • CommentAuthorJanice Sansing
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 4:29pm (Oct 31st 2007)

It would be a treat to watch your party via hencam. The Halloween page with its spooky page is a surprise and treat too. I logged on to hencam and said "WOW, where am I, " and then I realised it was indeed Hencam. You all really know how to make things fun. !!!!! The scene on the bottom, about Universal Studios, reminded me about something. I have a cousin,Ron Chaney Jr who got in on the ground floor of getting Universal Studios Theme Park built in Florida. His grand father was Lon Chaney Jr and his great grandfather Lon Chaney. Both men were horror actors . My mother's dad and Ron's mother's mom were brother and sister. I have not seen Ron since we were children, but will never forget the pictures and movie related things he brought with him from California when he and his grandmother came on a visit to my grandparent's home. I looked at some recent pictures of Ron and read about all he is doing to perpetuate the memories of his actor forefathers. I am proud to say , he is most handsome and took his good looks from his mother's side of the family.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 6:00pm (Oct 31st 2007)

Wow - Janice that some heritage you have there! Impressive!

Yes, Neil its profoundly sad that people would do that to children and that its happened often enough to curb a lot of the traditional trick or treat activities.

I LOVE the main page - except, where is the hen house - Aaaaahhhhh!

The cam view right now is very freaky in its own right. Mostly blackness with an occasional flash of light and for some reason the video readouts "wide" "sp" a symbol that I think is for 'tape' and a timer reading: 0:00:00 And then there is the occasional (human) shriek. So all in all it IS kind of scary :)
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 6:04pm (Oct 31st 2007)

Oh, Neil, I wanted to add that - yes, there are some really cool haunted porches, etc that people set up. The places I've lived the most common things that happen during Halloween is that places where groups of people converge (like churches, community centers) will host parties for kids (as a safe alternative to trick or treating) and adults will have parties for themselves. And then some people will create amazing haunted houses: on their porches, in old barns, garages, etc... When I was 10 our neighbors had to completely shut there haunted garage down and walk me through it with the light on because I got to hysterical. Spokane, Washington used to have one area where I think the neighbors would compete with each other for the best haunted porch. One year my (adult) friends and I dressed up as cats and visited this display. It was truly great.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 9:57pm (Oct 31st 2007)

No idea what time it is there now. I logged in just as Helen came up the stairs and disappeared (hopefully into a room.) Followed by Neil who came on in toward the cam. Nice image of the pumpkin's face flashing at us on the wall. Then the cam moved to a computer with, is it, skeletons dancing on the screen? No more shrieking so I wonder if its past 9 pm and clean up in now in progress...
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 10:49pm (Oct 31st 2007)

Hey - where's MY flock of bats? I don't have any bats flying across my hencam halloween page... Scared off by the household cats perhaps?
    • CommentTimeOct 31st, 2007 11:50pm (Oct 31st 2007)

I've still got bats!
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2007 11:07am (Nov 1st 2007) edited

Sorry about the bats, they are a bit choosy about browsers :D

I suspect the cam was pretty indecipherable, so you can see some slightly clearer pics in the picture gallery.

Hope you like them!
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2007 2:10pm (Nov 1st 2007)

Hey Diane, my dad hooked the cam stream up to a video recorder, which explains the tape symbol etc that you saw :P

As for the flashing lights and screaming, that would have been our house!! The light was the strobe at the bottom of the stairs, and the screams were the trick or treaters :D
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2007 7:06pm (Nov 1st 2007)

The screams were amazing. Clearly you did a fantastic job there. When I've got a few more minutes, I'm going straight to the picture gallery :)

Neil - I use Firefox which does seem to discriminate a lot! But it was so worth it (since I got to see them over YOUR computer screen anyway) and: it caused Kate to deliver the wonderful solitary line - "I've still got bats!" LOL

----------------------
    Just a note about next year: You've created an international holiday around Halloween. Its like...the most important day of the year. Surely Red will come home from University to help terrorize the neighborhood again in the upcoming Octobers?
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2007 7:09pm (Nov 1st 2007) edited

1 comment and 1 question:

Comment. A friend of mine who still has young children told me I am totally wrong about trick or treating - that it still happens a lot in neighborhoods here that have a lot of kids. She gets about 30 at her house and in Oak Harbor - the biggest 'city' on Whidbey (where the Navy base is) they can get about 100 little freaky visitors.

Question. Do kids "toilet paper" people's yards there in the UK?
    • CommentTimeNov 1st, 2007 7:31pm (Nov 1st 2007)

I haven't heard of it being done, but have seen it in tv programmes - most recently South Park! I think with all our rain it wouldn't have the same effect here, and it would entail the kids spending money to create havoc instead of using their pocket money to buy cigarettes and fireworks! I think they prefer graffitti-ing, much more of a nuisance.

(Sorry, big generalisation there - the minority spoil it for the majority).

Does the toilet paper thing happen a lot then?
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 8:25am (Nov 2nd 2007)

Come to think of it - it seemed to happen a lot more when I was growing up. I lived in California then so maybe its a weather related prank :) TPing seems to be about vengence; tagging seems more about primative territorial stuff (which I guess includes vengence.)

Oh that poor smaller pumpkin. Its taken a bit of a beating. I think the hens might be remembering how good they are! LOL there's Tilly with a huge mouthful of something, stopping to eye the cam suspiciously. Not pumpkin tho, some tasty treat closer to the lens.
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 8:46am (Nov 2nd 2007)

I hadn't thought of it that way. Seems kids in England can't get their revenge and leave it, they have to have a running campaign of it. At my last house I asked a group of lads aged about 10 to stop kicking a ball up my wall, and in return got a mouthful of abuse, and they spent the next 6 months banging my wall and egging my windows. I dread to think what they'd have done if they were older and more inventive. Still, it made us move house and we're so much happier.
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 8:59am (Nov 2nd 2007)

Wow - that's a pretty intense experience!! Ten year olds? Geez. I'm glad you like your new digs tho :)

Have you checked out the hencam Halloween pics? EXCELLENT stuff. They must have every Halloween gizmo ever made. AND dry ice :) The outside of the house looks so scary that I'm pretty sure I never would have made it inside. And, if I had, I know I'd have lost my lunch. LOL

Oh there's Milly. She seems to be trying to eat the plastic ghost. She looks skinny without all of her feathers.
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 9:12am (Nov 2nd 2007)

Hi Diane - we're on line at the same time!! Thought I'd have a quick look before I started work and have been surfing for half an hour now!

The chickens are loving that pumpkin - must've got over their fear!! Do they eat the whole thing or just peck the outside away to get to the flesh? Milly does look skinny doesn't she - poor sweetie!
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 3:39pm (Nov 2nd 2007)

Just answering the "toilet paper" question (lol) ...

My friend returned to her house after spending Halloween at mine, and her house had been egged and all the trees had toilet paper thrown over them. It doesn't happen often, but yes it occasionally happens :)

And last year the chickens managed to eat a whole pumpkin - skin and all!!
      CommentAuthorDianeonWhidbey
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd, 2007 4:13pm (Nov 2nd 2007)

Maybe it was pay back for when she scared the absolute hell out of someone at your haunted house. LOL.

Awwww - Tilly/Penny is balancing on one leg on top of the big pumpkin. Clever trick girl.